Decent ice type for hitting Cynthia's Garchomp?

DisobeyedCargo

I was originally going to use dusknoir due to its high bulk and access to ice punch, but I was not able to get a friend to help me evolve it and one won't be avilible for at least two weeks, and I don't want to wait that long. I'm not so quick to using Weavile because of the quad weakness to fighting, it would also make half my team weak to fighting.

Edited by DisobeyedCargo

27 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

I'm not so quick to using Weavile because of the quad weakness to ice, it would also make half my team weak to ice. 

Uhh, Weavile isn't weak to Ice... It IS, however, quad weak to Fighting.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

3 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Uhh, Weavile isn't weak to Ice... It IS, however, quad weak to Fighting.

Oops, meant to type fighting, I'm a bit tired.

Edited by DisobeyedCargo

4 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

Oops, meant to type fighting.

Looking at your planned team, the only fighting weak mon I saw is Clefable (Staraptor is neutral to Fighting). Unless you had other mons planned for your team... That being said, you might as well give Milotic Ice Beam.

1 minute ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Looking at your planned team, the only fighting weak mon I saw is Clefable (Staraptor is neutral to Fighting). Unless you had other mons planned for your team...

I have a magnezone on my team, which is a steel type.

2 minutes ago, ranger016 said:

I am assuming you meant fighting. Almost all water type pokemon can learn ice type moves. As for ice types Weavile, Mamoswine are good. Froslass is weak but might be able to outspeed Garchomp if good enough level.

I did mean fighting, that was my bad. 

3 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Oh. Forgot about that.

Yeah, that's why I was going to use dusknoir, due to fighting immunity and access to ice punch couples with decent attack, but I wasn't able to arrange a trade to evolve my dusclops. 

1 minute ago, ranger016 said:

Then probably Froslass is best for you, it is immune to fighting types as well. I don't know what your team is so I am not sure what to suggest.

My team is:

torterra

clefable

staraptor

magenzone

Milotic

dusclops (to be replaced)

i was was kind of thinking either froslass (high speed and can deal decent damage) or mamoswine (hits VERY hard and can take a hit due to its base 110 HP)

Edited by DisobeyedCargo

1 minute ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Can't Milotic just learn Ice Beam? She's fairly bulky. Also, Platinum Cynthia's Chomp has Fire Fang.

I was actually going to mention that myself just now. Both Milotic and Clefable seem like decent choices for that, IIRC.

5 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Can't Milotic just learn Ice Beam? She's fairly bulky. Also, Platinum Cynthia's Chomp has Fire Fang.

Milotic can, but my milotic is a - def nature, so it probably won't live a giga impact or a dragon rush, it also definitely won't outspeed that garchomp.

it actually has flamethrower, which is coming off of it's much weaker base 85 special attack, so that's why I'm not too worried about a Fire weakness.

Edited by DisobeyedCargo

6 minutes ago, Just call me AL said:

I was actually going to mention that myself just now. Both Milotic and Clefable seem like decent choices for that, IIRC.

I may actually run ice beam on Clefable. Right now it has meteor mash, return, fire blast, and psychic. I don't really need psychic

if only Clefable was a fairy type in this gen, there would be no reason at all to worry about this.

Like the others said, an ice type will make your team weak to fire and fighting. And I can't think of a good pokemon who will be able to resist earthquake / dragon rush and giga impact from Garchomp. What about your own Garchomp? While it still might get ko'd it might be a better choice than an ice type.

Edit: Emeraldfox's suggestion is good too.

Edited by ranger016

I know you say you won't use Weavile, but your reasoning is just plain stupid. Weavile straight up outspeeds and one shots Cynthia's Garchomp with Ice Punch. I mean come on now

You might as well get a Luxray with intimidate and switch it out with Staraptor to bait out an Earthquake and repeat that a few times. Then send in Milotic and use Ice Beam.

2 minutes ago, ranger016 said:

Like the others said, an ice type will make your team weak to fire and fighting. And I can't think of a good pokemon who will be able to resist earthquake / dragon rush and giga impact from Garchomp. What about your own Garchomp? While it still might get ko'd it might be a better choice than an ice type.

Your probably right, an ice type does still add some shared weaknesses regardless of which one I choose. 

2 minutes ago, Emeraldfox said:

I know you say you won't use Weavile, but your reasoning is just plain stupid. Weavile straight up outspeeds and one shots Cynthia's Garchomp with Ice Punch. I mean come on now

You might as well get a Luxray with intimidate and switch it out with Staraptor to bait out an Earthquake and repeat that a few times. Then send in Milotic and use Ice Beam.

I admit it is a bit of a stupid reasoning. I may end up using it if I decide against a garchomp. Thank you @Emeraldfox for slapping the stupidity out of me.

Skynstein vs Cynthia:

Skynstein sent out Gyarados (with Ice Fang)!

Gyarados' Intimidate lowers Garchomp's Attack!

Garchomp used Dragon Rush!

A critical hit!

Gyarados fainted!

Skynstein sent out Staraptor!

Staraptor used Brave Bird!

45% damage!

Staraptor took recoil!

Garchomp used Flamethrower!

75% damage!

A critical hit!

Garchomp fainted!

Well, this was the second time I battled Cynthia. I was so pissed off when she one-shotted my Gyarados that I just picked Staraptor and said to myself "BRAVE BIRD THIS B****** UNTIL HE DIES!!!", which luckily went in my favor.

It should be illegal to use a Garchomp this cheap.

Garchomp will destroy every Ice-type in the game BTW, he's faster than all of them (probably not Froslass/Weavile, but still) and should OHKO with Flamethrower.

I'm also pretty sure I did try a Weavile and he either didn't OHKO or was slower anyway, but it was in my first playthrough. There's a good chance it was slower because Cynthia's Pokémon have 31 IVs across all stats, so it's dumb to use Smogon logic here and pick Weavile/Froslass just because their base Speed is higher than Garchomp's.

It's the single most annoying Pokémon to deal with in all the games, and it doesn't help that it's the signature Pokémon of the biggest Mary Sue in the series. Really, Ghetsis' Hydreigon can at least be T-Waved.

Edited by Skynstein

On August 26, 2017 at 1:35 PM, Skynstein said:

Skynstein vs Cynthia:

Skynstein sent out Gyarados (with Ice Fang)!

Gyarados' Intimidate lowers Garchomp's Attack!

Garchomp used Dragon Rush!

A critical hit!

Gyarados fainted!

Skynstein sent out Staraptor!

45% damage!

Staraptor took recoil!

Garchomp used Flamethrower!

75% damage!

A critical hit!

Garchomp fainted!

Well, this was the second time I battled Cynthia. I was so pissed off when she one-shotted my Gyarados that I just picked Staraptor and said to myself "BRAVE BIRD THIS B****** UNTIL HE DIES!!!", which luckily went in my favor.

It should be illegal to use a Garchomp this cheap.

Garchomp will destroy every Ice-type in the game BTW, he's faster than all of them (probably not Froslass/Weavile, but still) and should OHKO with Flamethrower.

I'm also pretty sure I did try a Weavile and he either didn't OHKO or was slower anyway, but it was in my first playthrough. There's a good chance it was slower because Cynthia's Pokémon have 31 IVs across all stats, so it's dumb to use Smogon logic here and pick Weavile/Froslass just because their base Speed is higher than Garchomp's.

It's the single most annoying Pokémon to deal with in all the games, and it doesn't help that it's the signature Pokémon of the biggest Mary Sue in the series. Really, Ghetsis' Hydreigon can at least be T-Waved.

I see this and raise you Clair's Kingdra in HGSS -  only one weakness, which happens to be to the rarest type in the game. Needless to say, the chance you'll have a dragon type at that point is practically zero, and even if you did, Dragon is weak to itself. And did I mention that if it crits, your mon's a dead duck thanks to Sniper?

8 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

I see this and raise you Clair's Kingdra in HGSS -  only one weakness, which happens to be to the rarest type in the game. Needless to say, the chance you'll have a dragon type at that point is practically zero, and even if you did, Dragon is weak to itself.

Ah, yes, if only Fairy type existed in Gen IV. Then Clair would be roflstomped. Same can't be said of Totem Mimikyu. Automatic substitute, bulky, and if you haven't fought all the trainers or haven't used the Exp. Share at all, prepare to be ground into dust because it has +1 to all stats and is in the low 30s where you probably just hit 30. This is the logical conclusion of the difficulty scale all the way back to going to Akala.

1 hour ago, Hylian Air Force said:

Ah, yes, if only Fairy type existed in Gen IV. Then Clair would be roflstomped. Same can't be said of Totem Mimikyu. Automatic substitute, bulky, and if you haven't fought all the trainers or haven't used the Exp. Share at all, prepare to be ground into dust because it has +1 to all stats and is in the low 30s where you probably just hit 30. This is the logical conclusion of the difficulty scale all the way back to going to Akala.

I also forgot the part where this is Johto, where there's virtually no good grinding spots at all, which means getting in good shape to take her on is a pain. Anyways, I didn't get to Totem Mimikyu yet, but Totem Lurantis was a right pain, what with being able to outspeed virtually everything you can have at that point, and being able to heal itself.

11 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

I see this and raise you Clair's Kingdra in HGSS -  only one weakness, which happens to be to the rarest type in the game. Needless to say, the chance you'll have a dragon type at that point is practically zero, and even if you did, Dragon is weak to itself. And did I mention that if it crits, your mon's a dead duck thanks to Sniper?

I don't remember what I used against it last time I played, but I didn't have as hard a time against Clair's Kingdra as I did against Cynthia's Garchomp.

Then again, that playthrough was fun, I played on Desmume so I used Pokégen to evolve my trade evo Pokémon and had a Kingdra of my own. Then I went against Lance with a Kingdra packing Draco Meteor and a Mamoswine. :D