Hinoka, Camilla, Takumi and Leo confirmed

Jedi

7 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

I never said the characters were bad, I said they weren't popular (liked). There's a difference. That's the thing with the older ones, outside of lords, they don't have the most widely beloved casts. Granted that also means they typically get less hated characters as well.

I think the better term to use here would be the most well known, as I think that more accurately describes what you're getting at. The thing is among those who have played the games you do have many who say those casts of characters are very likeable overall and even narrowing it down to certain ones you have those like Elincia, Ranulf, and Jill who usually get praise for their development and roles and are popular in their own spheres of influence. It's just that they don't have the sales and accessibility to match their Awakening or Fates counterparts, so many of them don't carry the same amount of presence in the general audience.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Medeus said:

I think the better term to use here would be the most well known, as I think that more accurately describes what you're getting at. The thing is among those who have played the games you do have many who say those casts of characters are very likeable overall and even narrowing it down to certain ones you have those like Elincia, Ranulf, and Jill who usually get praise for their development and roles and are popular in their own spheres of influence. It's just that they don't have the sales and accessibility to match their Awakening or Fates counterparts, so many of them don't carry the same amount of presence in the general audience.

Well, that would be more popular.

One of the biggest problems with older characters is that it's so inconvenient to learn anything about most of them due to how the supports worked. I also don't like how some put old characters on a pedestal as super deep, but from my experience, they're nothing special either.

52 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

Well, that would be more popular.

One of the biggest problems with older characters is that it's so inconvenient to learn anything about most of them due to how the supports worked. I also don't like how some put old characters on a pedestal as super deep, but from my experience, they're nothing special either.

Yet to know anything about characters still you have to learn stuff from supports. If anything it's harder as Fates had a million supports for each character, even if the two didn't really need to have one. I think it caused the quality of supports in Fates to take quite a nose dive as you had to search and search and search for the one that told you stuff.

1 hour ago, familyplayer said:

Yet to know anything about characters still you have to learn stuff from supports. If anything it's harder as Fates had a million supports for each character, even if the two didn't really need to have one. I think it caused the quality of supports in Fates to take quite a nose dive as you had to search and search and search for the one that told you stuff.

While I'm no fan of Fates, at least the modern system doesn't make you replay the game just to read five more supports and no more than one A support meaning that you either do three or reread two later. That system was just terrible.

12 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

While I'm no fan of Fates, at least the modern system doesn't make you replay the game just to read five more supports and no more than one A support meaning that you either do three or reread two later. That system was just terrible.

Won't disagree with you there. I like the easiness of supports that was in Echoes. It felt quick to get and they were mostly straight to the point, though I would have liked a few more... 

9 hours ago, DIO said:

I think it's fair and safe to say that this is the only side of the fandom that's at least willing to TRY to give the game a fair shake; checking the usual spots from YouTube, Tumblr (why) and Reddit just has bitching and moaning like mad...

Same people who keep defecating on TMS because it wasn't their super dark macho edgelord game. It's such a fun game. Funny thing is that if the game bombs, that means no DLC so they're only screwing themselves up. 

@familyplayer: People got unrealistic expectations when all they had to go with was a rushed teaser with old stock art. Nothing original was there. 

Anyway...

Scans...I watched the GameXplain video and I like how Takumi works so far. Hinoka is fine too except maybe her voice...

Hmm, their reveal trailer mentions that the royal siblings were "scattered" across dimensions so...there's the possibility of Elise and Sakura to appear alongside M!Corrin in a future reveal trailer to complete the "main cast". Well, we're "missing" Azura and they haven't revealed an infantry lance unit so...she could fill that gap. 

Edited by Lord-Zero

15 minutes ago, Lord-Zero said:

Same people who keep defecating on TMS because it wasn't their super dark macho edgelord game. It's such a fun game. Funny thing is that if the game bombs, that means no DLC so they're only screwing themselves up. 

Well, the reason I see people complaining about TMS was due to the marking. People thought the game was more Shin Megami Tensei and less Persona. Not the other way around. The title of the game before the game play was revealed was titled Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem. Hardcore fanboys have the tensity to bash the game for not being their dream game.

13 minutes ago, Jingle Jangle said:

Well, the reason I see people complaining about TMS was due to the marking. People thought the game was more Shin Megami Tensei and less Persona. Not the other way around. The title of the game before the game play was revealed was titled Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem. Hardcore fanboys have the tensity to bash the game for not being their dream game.

I don't even really call it more Persona or more SMT. It's kinda its own weird thing imo. Not bad, but definitely not what many fans of either fanbase really wanted.

9 hours ago, Arthur97 said:

Kind of sad when you consider this site's reaction.

Both of them definitely had more minor characters hitting the top.

& What is this site's reaction? I'm being sincere here cuz I'm under the impression that most of us willing to give it a shot unlike the people of Youtube. If you can call them that.

8 hours ago, BlizzardWolf95 said:

IMG_0352.thumb.PNG.61ed20fa0c22f3e66b3f2f28bb642310.PNG

Also, seems like people who thought this tome looked suspiciously like Brynhildr in the Robin screenshot on the website finally have some closure. Nice eagle eyes, dudes.

If Robin can wield Brynhildr, does this mean we can have Falchion Xander, or Raijinto Marth? It's interesting nonetheless.

You know if this gets confirm, I'll be sure to source you on this.

Edited by Zangetsu

28 minutes ago, Zangetsu said:

& What is this site's reaction? I'm being sincere here cuz I'm under the impression that most of us willing to give it a shot unlike the people of Youtube. If you can call them that.

It's not everyone, but there have definitely been some who just don't have anything good to say which in and of itself is not necessarily a bad thing, but they just keep talking about it.

1 hour ago, Jingle Jangle said:

Marketing...yes, it wasn't the best. The 2 year gap between old art teaser which Atlus admitted it was done before a direction was set for the project and the E3 reveal didn't help things either. 

1 hour ago, familyplayer said:

I don't even really call it more Persona or more SMT. It's kinda its own weird thing imo. Not bad, but definitely not what many fans of either fanbase really wanted.

I haven't played it, but from what I've seen gameplay wise is practically a Persona game with an idol theme, it even has something similar to social links. Which isn't bad, I love Persona, but I don't really like musicals at all. The game might be great, but if they say they are going to do a crossover and then do something completely unrelated, they have no excuse. I'm sure that if it weren't fe related and had "megami tensei" in the cover, it would have sold better.

Still, I would have bought it my gamepad wouldn't have broke.

Welp, the only thing we're missing now is Azura and the unholy octagon of worst / most annoying characters in Fire Emblem history is complete.

On the plus side, there's the chance to beat the ever loving crap out of them with satisfying gameplay and animations.

On a more serious note: It was to be expected that the Fates Royals would be in this game, but I'm still disappointed that they are. They had SO many other characters to choose from, but NOPE! They had to bring in the worst of the worst just because they were the only ones that were ever prominently shown in pre-release material for Fates. I know popularity trumps all (I mean, why wouldn't it, let's be real here), but still.
We all have to live with disappointments, I guess.

2 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

On a more serious note: It was to be expected that the Fates Royals would be in this game, but I'm still disappointed that they are. They had SO many other characters to choose from, but NOPE! They had to bring in the worst of the worst just because they were the only ones that were ever prominently shown in pre-release material for Fates. I know popularity trumps all (I mean, why wouldn't it, let's be real here), but still.
We all have to live with disappointments, I guess.

The royals, Corrin, Azura, and a bunch of NPCs are the only characters from Fates that matter in the plot at all. The retainers don't, the non-royal non-retainers don't as well. If this game had Jugdrali characters and someone whined about Sigurd being in but no Chulainn, I'd be just as "well duh!" It's not always about popularity, it is with FE Heroes's Seasonal Banners and the Selena-Odin-Laslow and Caeldori-Rhajat-Asugi trios in Fates, but it isn't with the Fates Royals being in this game. It's plot importance plus playability, popularity is secondary. FEW will have a plot, a bad plot, but a plot nonetheless, and it'd be nonsensical to leave out of FEW's plot characters who were plot-wise important in their original games. Some of the Fates Royals like Hinoka had no importance you say? Well she at least had pretensions and the semblance of being important, which is more than Benny or Ophelia or Oboro the demon wench can say (pardon my language).

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

11 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The royals, Corrin, Azura, and a bunch of NPCs are the only characters from Fates that matter in the plot at all. The retainers don't, the non-royal non-retainers don't as well. If this game had Jugdrali characters and someone whined about Sigurd being in but no Chulainn, I'd be just as "well duh!" It's not always about popularity, it is with FE Heroes's Seasonal Banners and the Selena-Odin-Laslow and Caeldori-Rhajat-Asugi trios in Fates, but it isn't with the Fates Royals being in this game. It's plot importance plus playability, popularity is secondary. FEW will have a plot, a bad plot, but a plot nonetheless, and it'd be nonsensical to leave out of FEW's plot characters who were plot-wise important in their original games. Some of the Fates Royals like Hinoka had no importance you say? Well she at least had pretensions and the semblance of being important, which is more than Benny or Ophelia or Oboro the demon wench can say (pardon my language).

I do see your point. However - and this is just personal conjecture and doesn't apply to anyone - I think spin-offs are PERFECT for elaborating more on the minor characters and give them a time in the spotlight, especially in regards to Fire Emblem. Sure, the plot-important people are most recognizable, I won't deny that - if only because their stupid mugs are always in your face whether you like it or not - but still. Risks have to be taken sometimes, I feel. Otherwise, it just gets old seeing the same characters over and over and over again.
Especially with such an interesting minor cast - that has so much more going for it than two bland, uninspired, boring, stupid, idiotic, Mary-Sue-ish Royal families - like Fates'. There's for example Nyx, Mozu, Oboro, Solid Snake Beruka, Kaze, Saizo, Arthur, Benny and Niles that people who have played Fates like (I think?) who are infinitely more interesting and a whole lot less annoying than the aforementioned royal pains in the butt. 
Additionally, I'm absolutely sick of seeing these Royal idiots shoehorned into everything and still being omni-important. I didn't like them in Fates, so why would I like them elsewhere?

TL;DR: They could have put interesting characters in, instead we get a whiny pineapple with a deliciously punchable derpface, a blond emo Marth on a horse, a walking pair of tits and Ms. Redhead 'I-want-my-little-brother's-D***' McIrrelevant.

If they don't pull a miracle and put some more actually interesting characters in, I think I'll honestly vote with my wallet on this one. I'm really not mad - not in the sense of being angry at least - and I don't mean to contribute to any toxicity between new vs. old FE fans (since I am a neutral party in that conflict), I just want to express my honest if premature disappointment in the cast of Warriors.

On 8/22/2017 at 6:36 AM, BlizzardWolf95 said:

They would, but so would've most of the characters I mentioned above. By perfect, I meant they're not explicitly battle-ready, even less so than Lissa. Whatever purpose they could fill, they can easily do it through in-battle dialogue, if need be.

The only other chance they have to be playable is in a reveal with Azura. Otherwise, I think NPC is what they'll be heading for.

I know I'm very late, but I really want to know your take as to why the little sisters are less battle-ready than Lissa. Sakura taught herself how to use bows in Conquest and she's willing to kill Corrin and Azura, people she thought she could consider her siblings. That's battle-ready. Compare that to Lissa who almost got herself killed in Chapter 2 of Awakening.  Not to mention how Sakura's one of the few potential scroll users and has a bit of plot relevance, for being a royal and more things (her distracting Iago, first sibling to join you in Revelations, etc.)

Elise is a harder case considering how she's not a Strategist in Birthright ofc but she's actually seen Camilla in combat, this is said near the beginning of Fates IIRC, so Elise already has some battle experience, not as a fighter obviously but she's not new to battles.

Lissa, on the other hand, has no real battle experience (I don't think any of the shepherds are veterans of combat besides Frederick? But I know I'm likely wrong) and she's 14 years old. I'd be willing to bet the younger sisters are older than that even.

I know I'm very biased towards the cinnamon rolls but Hinoka is less important than Sakura and she got playable status. Whatever purpose Hinoka has could has been done through in-battle dialogue too, but that didn't stop them. And besides, purpose isn't always story related. Elise is our best troubadour/mounted cleric character, and Sakura is a cleric bow user who can potentially have scrolls in her moveset. It doesn't make sense to pass them up and say "NPC, they don't have much purpose" when they both have their own very unique niches.

Edited by Pokechu

After really thinking about this for a while, I think I want Fuga in FEW, I don't particularly care for him one way or another, but I feel like he would be a pleasantly left field character that won't be too obvious and won't piss off a good chunk of the fanbase. I also think he would fit well in FEW but that's like the last thing that would get you in.

He also has at least some plot relevance but probably not enough to get him in, I see no one clamoring to play as Izana.

Edited by thecrimsonflash

I'd like to point out that apart from her intro where she relays a message, Cordelia has pretty much no plot relevance whatsoever.  The same goes for a lot of Archanean characters.  So when people say that characters have no chance based on plot relevance, they're invalidated by the fact that Cordelia's in the game as well.

3 hours ago, thecrimsonflash said:

After really thinking about this for a while, I think I want Fuga in FEW...

That's fine and all, but what weapon would he even use?  I imagine they'd pick club to balance out the higher volume of blades and polearms, sort of like how Fred was given an axe.

4 hours ago, Pokechu said:

I know I'm very biased towards the cinnamon rolls but Hinoka is less important than Sakura and she got playable status.

Spoiler

In Conquest, Hinoka becomes Queen of Hoshido while Sakura is just sort of phased out for no good reason.

Though conversely, Elise seems to have a bigger role in Birthright than Camilla.

In Revelation, none of the sisters are really all that relevant.  Them joining you just makes the other royal siblings more willing to join you.

2 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

That's fine and all, but what weapon would he even use?  I imagine they'd pick club to balance out the higher volume of blades and polearms, sort of like how Fred was given an axe.

I feel like fuga would have a club as his base weapon with some of his combos taking the properties of katanas and naginatas to show off his master of arms class, though that may be overpowered in a game where the weapon triangle is a thing, aside from that hurdle fuga would be one of the few infantry axe characters we could get in FEW that has plot relevance. He could also be a different niche compared to basilio who is a warrior and could have bow attacks in his combos.

Personally I always felt that frederick was more of an axe user, than a lance user, must be the curse of the great knight class. Any poor fool suckered into class changing into a great knight will forever be known as that guy who used axes from horseback.

5 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

Reveal hidden contents

In Conquest, Hinoka becomes Queen of Hoshido while Sakura is just sort of phased out for no good reason.

Though conversely, Elise seems to have a bigger role in Birthright than Camilla.

In Revelation, none of the sisters are really all that relevant.  Them joining you just makes the other royal siblings more willing to join you.

That's one thing though, and it's not like Sakura could've been Queen; it would have always been passed down to Hinoka because she's the eldest after Ryoma. Sakura and Hinoka are both not really crucial to the plot but Sakura does a bit more than her as a whole, so that's why I said Hinoka is less important than her.

I haven't played Fates in a while so I don't remember the whole story of each 3 paths, but there was that one scene in Revelations, I think? when Saizo was going to blow himself up to kill you, and she (along with Kaze sobeit) managed to calm him down. That's another small thing Sakura did. Hinoka just doesn't really do much throughout the story.

1 hour ago, Pokechu said:

Hide contents

That's one thing though, and it's not like Sakura could've been Queen; it would have always been passed down to Hinoka because she's the eldest after Ryoma. Sakura and Hinoka are both not really crucial to the plot but Sakura does a bit more than her as a whole, so that's why I said Hinoka is less important than her.

I haven't played Fates in a while so I don't remember the whole story of each 3 paths, but there was that one scene in Revelations, I think? when Saizo was going to blow himself up to kill you, and she (along with Kaze sobeit) managed to calm him down. That's another small thing Sakura did. Hinoka just doesn't really do much throughout the story.

Spoiler

Tbh, the royals, in general, never do that much. They get themselves captured, beaten, or killed in the path that has them as the enemy, but otherwise they don't do much imo. 

Weird thing is, I actually do feel that Misty Lee's performance here is a lot better than it was in Heroes. Because she's doing her own thing with the voice now, instead of just being an imitation of Camilla's original Eng voice like Hinoka and Takumi's still are.

But that aside. I do wish they had brought back Kris Zimmerman-Salter for this game. Because the Fates characters, both the recasts and reprisals, just don't have the enjoyable flair that Kris Zimmerman gave to the voice direction for them IMO. I mean compare Xander's voice here to Fates. He had something completely different in his pitch and tone that he's completely lacked since that game.

Hm... Compared to Cordelia, Hinoka's class is Sky Knight instead of Pegasus Knight.

Also, in the demo, Hinoka's magic is pretty low compared to Cordelia's. She's slightly stronger though.

Incidentally, the Fliers all have a Move stat of 20, compared to Xander's 15, and Robin and Takumi's 5 Move.

It also appears that you can in fact order CPU allies to do stuff, even if they're not your selected characters for the mission, so long as they are named characters (like Cordelia and Robin in this demo).

Apparently, the weapon triangle won't simply determine whether or not you can do the Storm Rush: The guys demonstrating the game said that it will also affect the damage you give and take from enemies, as well as how easy it is to stun them when they're leaving themselves open (AKA the white circle that appears after officers do certain attacks, which is a mechanic that Hyrule Warriors players may have noticed is pretty similiar to the Weak Point Gauge mechanic).

Also, Takumi wields the Fujin Yumi (of course), Hinoka wields Hinoka's Spear, Camilla wields Camilla's Axe, Xander wields the Siegfried, Robin wields the Steel Tome, and Cordelia wields the Steel Lance. Notably, now that we know that Robin is wielding a "Steel Tome", it should answer several questions about how any future magic user will work: Namely, that we should expect that they will use different elemental magic in their movesets: The tomes will contain any spell the caster requires for their moves.

And of course, they will likely differ from each other by having an elemental set of spells that they prefer over the others (Robin has a decent amount of thunder spells in his repertoire for example).

4 minutes ago, Folt said:

Also, Takumi wields the Fujin Yumi (of course), Hinoka wields Hinoka's Spear, Camilla wields Camilla's Axe, Xander wields the Siegfried, Robin wields the Steel Tome, and Cordelia wields the Steel Lance. Notably, now that we know that Robin is wielding a "Steel Tome", it should answer several questions about how any future magic user will work: Namely, that we should expect that they will use different elemental magic in their movesets: The tomes will contain any spell the caster requires for their moves.

A Steel tome? It'd probably do more damage being swung at the enemies than any magic it would channel.