The Power Of Friendship Is Killing My Intrest

So after watching the latest trailer I cringed REALLY, REALLY, hard

I myself will admit I was hating on the inital roster, which I still think is lackluster, I do think that Marth and Corrin look really cool as playable characters

but after this trailer I have negative intrest in the story now, I wish they had just gone full mugen and had forgone the story, and had just let us have a bunch of different characters from throught the series and let us go wild with it.

I'm still planning on picking up the game, I'll just ignore the story.

Totally skipping the story is what I did with Fates and SoV. Though you'll find skipping the story harder in FEW given you'll have to deal with in-battle dialogue progressing things on the battlefield (including new mandatory and side objectives).

As for friendship- yeah its overdone in game plots and such. As is romance, and after playing Bravely Second, I asked myself "why do VG heroes think professing love to someone else is so hard, when they shouldn't be saying that in light of all the crazy fighting they do?". But hey, at least this game isn't Tales of Graces F- where "The Bonds of Friendship Are Eternal" is literally on the back of the game box.

Warriors plots are never great, no better than typical Hollywood action flick stuff. Just look at the pretty animations and ignore the rest.

It's weird they leave Ike out of a game literally about fighting for your friends, but what can you do.

Though, Awakening had the word "Bonds" pasted all over the place, so maybe the power of friendship has been a key FE trope in the new generation this whole time and we just haven't noticed it? :^)

I don't think it's too bad, myself, but I'm pretty hard to make cringe anyway, so I'm probably just immune.

Edited by BlizzardWolf95

I wonder what a villainous version of the power of friendship would be?  Where the bad guy purposely surrounds himself with people that make him stronger. However he actually cares for his friends. That would be an interesting take on this cliche.

4 minutes ago, BlizzardWolf95 said:

It's weird they leave Ike out of a game literally about fighting for your friends, but what can you do.

Though, Awakening had the word "Bonds" pasted all over the place, so maybe the power of friendship has been a key FE trope in the new generation this whole time and we just haven't noticed it? :^)

I don't think it's too bad, myself, but I'm pretty hard to make cringe anyway, so I'm probably just immune.

You never noticed? How could you not notice?

Even as someone who unironically loves a lot of shounen anime, I feel like they're overdoing it on the whole friendship thing. When you start to outdo Yu-Gi-Oh! in the power of friendship department, you know you've gone overboard.

3 minutes ago, AzureSen said:

Even as someone who unironically loves a lot of shounen anime, I feel like they're overdoing it on the whole friendship thing. When you start to outdo Yu-Gi-Oh! in the power of friendship department, you know you've gone overboard.

Outdo YUGIOH with the power of friendship? Damn, now that's Fairy Tail levels of power of friendship.

...your feelings of friendship DON'T manifest into colored crystals that fit snugly into a macguffin?

Hm, was the power of friendship there since the beginning of this series..? Well from the viewpoint of FE Warriors, Shadow Dragon is the beginning of the series so let's check there:

Spoiler

Marth: “Come, my friends! We have a dragon to tame! Help me confine Medeus to the shadows for all eternity, and bring light back into the world!”

Yup, always there.

2 minutes ago, AzureSen said:

Having grown up with Yu-Gi-Oh!, power of friendship plots don't faze me much. I'm just taking FEW's story as run-of-the-mill. Let's face it, we're here for the gameplay. No sour plot will ever stop beating down hoards of enemies overdramatically from being fun.

Also, I'm indifferent to the recent, predictable reveal of Fates characters. Didn't play Fates, not really planning to.

It's kind of always been there to some extent in the series. But yeah, they're hamming it up here.

Tangentially related, but a game I recently played (7th Dragon 2020) did an interesting subversion on this; when the talk starts going towards "power isn't everything", you're thinking "oh no I know where this is headed"... and then the game talks about how willpower is just as important as power. Kinda the same deal overall, but it definitely doesn't beat you over the head with it.

I actually kind of liked Hyrule Warriors's plot... funnily enough, except that part in the Temple of Souls where they introduce friendship as a sudden plot point. In context, I have no idea why- Link was being brash, and I don't think having his friends is going to help anything involved with that.

Personally, I'd agree on the overused or overdone thing, although I actually don't mind the concept itself much.

But oh well, not every story can be like... say, Dynasty Warriors's Jin (8's at least, don't know how it goes in 7 or others), where individual talent and effort is placed on more importance than stuff like family bonds and the like, though I think there is a bit of the latter in there as well.

3 hours ago, Captain Karnage said:

So after watching the latest trailer I cringed REALLY, REALLY, hard

Warriors games take aspects of anything, history, lore, games, and amp it up to 11, its not really surprising.

Could be worse. Could be romance. Could be S-supports. Could be children. Yeah, from what I've seen from the fanbase, friendship is the way to go.

but I don't have friends...

6 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

Hm, was the power of friendship there since the beginning of this series..? Well from the viewpoint of FE Warriors, Shadow Dragon is the beginning of the series so let's check there:

Reveal hidden contents

Marth: “Come, my friends! We have a dragon to tame! Help me confine Medeus to the shadows for all eternity, and bring light back into the world!”

Yup, always there.

There's a pretty distinct difference between Marth relying on his comrades' aid to stop Medeus, and the power of friendship slapping reality in the face and bringing Robin back from literal non-existence in Awakening. This definitely seems like the latter.

6 hours ago, Baron the Shining Blade said:

Having grown up with Yu-Gi-Oh!, power of friendship plots don't faze me much. I'm just taking FEW's story as run-of-the-mill. Let's face it, we're here for the gameplay. No sour plot will ever stop beating down hoards of enemies overdramatically from being fun.

Also, I'm indifferent to the recent, predictable reveal of Fates characters. Didn't play Fates, not really planning to.

I mean, as I've said, I non-ironically love shounen anime, including Yu-Gi-Oh!. But Yu-Gi-Oh! was built around the power of friendship, to the point where it is the central theme of the franchise according to the series creator. Fire Emblem wasn't, which is why it's so noticeable and annoying here, at least for me.

Ill be honest, I was never expecting anything from the story. Only thing I am looking for is interactions from characters from different games. Other than that, not really looking for anything. Kind of like a Fast and Furious movie. Watching it for the action, cheesy one liners, and some fun. Not looking for an award winning, thought provoking story.

SCREW THE POWER OF FRIENDSHIP. Friendship is nice and all, but overdone, and I just want a real b*tch to be a prominent character. I need more drama.

This game needs a Jade Cole: "This isn't Fire Friendship, this is Fire Emblem Warriors. I'm not here to make friends I'm here to be the next Fire Emblem Lord."