The Power Of Friendship Is Killing My Intrest

Xander's line might work a bit better under the context of trying to keep his army from attacking the Hoshidian army, but I still think it got better after Robin showed up. I also like how they matched some like Robin and Takumi's and Marth -> Frederick -> Chrom was a pretty nice little thing.

The narrative is gonna be extremely hammy.  I was expecting as much, and they aren't surprising me in the slightest.

It is completely stupid.  It's inane.  It's overdone.  It's supremely cheesy.

But I couldn't give a rats ass.  I'm not getting the game for the story; I'm getting it for the gameplay and the ability to totally wreck shit with some of my favorite characters from FE.

I don't think that the whole power of friendship thing would be near as bad if there was no voice acting,even the best voice acting can make a cringey script even more cringey. It also may make me realise that fates and awakening's voice acting was way worse than I originally believed, I mean hinoka was bad in fates, but here it's cranked up to 8 because we are hearing more than short voice clips and I really don't want to hear oboro now, she ranged from ok to bad in fates and I don't want to hear her do long monologues or anything like that. Good thing cynthia has been soft deconfirmed because she would likely be insufferable. 

2 hours ago, Deva Ashera said:

Don't worry, I'm sure Tharja's on her way :P

She's a creepy one, but I'm looking for the Jade Cole kind- self-assured, unapologetic, and kind of ridiculous, so basically a sassier version of L'arachel, or basically Serra. But I know they're not going to be in the game.

Reference material

Spoiler

18 hours ago, Dandy Druid said:

SCREW THE POWER OF FRIENDSHIP. Friendship is nice and all, but overdone, and I just want a real b*tch to be a prominent character. I need more drama.

Well, Takumi is in this game now, so the 'real b*tch' part is already taken care of.

Anyway, I think the power of friendship stuff is fine, as long as it feels organic, is well executed and not just there because reasons.

5 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

Well, Takumi is in this game now, so the 'real b*tch' part is already taken care of.

Anyway, I think the power of friendship stuff is fine, as long as it feels organic, is well executed and not just there because reasons.

Takumi's thing isn't bitchiness it's sass, just look at his heroes artwork.

The problem with power of friendship is that it is never organic, it is almost always overplayed to a degree that some deus ex machina happens because of everyone's feelings for eachother. There is a difference between the main lord rallying his troops for the final battle with a good speech and the main lord being brought back from near death by everyone basically joining hands and saying "I believe" and then killing the monster with hopes and dreams. In other words the Yato is in pieces and corrin is dead end of story.

Also, I hate how fire emblem games forget about the resurrection staff in the story when we want to have an is this the end moment.

Edited by thecrimsonflash

On 8/23/2017 at 11:50 AM, Dandy Druid said:

SCREW THE POWER OF FRIENDSHIP. Friendship is nice and all, but overdone, and I just want a real b*tch to be a prominent character. I need more drama.

On 8/24/2017 at 6:53 AM, DragonFlames said:

O SNAP, you're just burning that torch son!

On 8/24/2017 at 3:42 PM, thecrimsonflash said:

Also, I hate how fire emblem games forget about the resurrection staff in the story when we want to have an is this the end moment.

Bifrost is useless in Fates- it comes too late to save anyone but CQkumi or Azura. Aum also comes extremely late and is optional. Valkyrie is very optional. Forgetting about the Sacred Springs of Valentia though is not really explicable.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

8 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Bifrost is useless in Fates- it comes too late to save anyone but CQkumi or Azura. Aum also comes extremely late and is optional. Valkyrie is very optional. Forgetting about the Sacred Springs of Valentia though is not really explicable.

I tend to see them as fairly non cannon anyways. I mean, it could erase some of the bigger conflicts.

Spoiler

Like Alm could just use it on Rudolf and presto, he has a dad.

40 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

I tend to see them as fairly non cannon anyways. I mean, it could erase some of the bigger conflicts.

Hide contents

Like Alm could just use it on Rudolf and presto, he has a dad.

I'm not sure if it could really be that easy.

To start with, the staffs are quite restricted in their use (Aum only for women of royal blood and dialogue in Shadow Dragon also adds it needs to be used in a specific temple, Valkyrie for Major Blaggi carriers), and can only be used once. In addition, it's hard to claim them non-canon, since story dialogue does acknowledge them (it's specifically stated Gharnef wanted the Aum Staff, though one can only infer exactly why, and Valkyrie is one of the Twelve Holy Weapons).

And regarding eliminating bigger conflicts... well, I'm not sure on that. Can't speak for Fates, but in Archanea, Valentia, or Jugdral... well, for one thing, you could make a list of people to resurrect, but who could ever reach an agreement on choosing one? That would be a very delicate subject. (Outside Valentia of course, where it's less restrictive on the number) And then that's assuming undoing the deed can solve the problem. Sometimes, it doesn't, since the act still happened, even if it got reversed.

Spoiler

Bringing back Rudolf would actually be not a good idea, considering what he did before his death, all that baggage would still be there, waiting for him once he's back.

14 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I'm not sure if it could really be that easy.

To start with, the staffs are quite restricted in their use (Aum only for women of royal blood and dialogue in Shadow Dragon also adds it needs to be used in a specific temple, Valkyrie for Major Blaggi carriers), and can only be used once. In addition, it's hard to claim them non-canon, since story dialogue does acknowledge them (it's specifically stated Gharnef wanted the Aum Staff, though one can only infer exactly why, and Valkyrie is one of the Twelve Holy Weapons).

And regarding eliminating bigger conflicts... well, I'm not sure on that. Can't speak for Fates, but in Archanea, Valentia, or Jugdral... well, for one thing, you could make a list of people to resurrect, but who could ever reach an agreement on choosing one? That would be a very delicate subject. (Outside Valentia of course, where it's less restrictive on the number) And then that's assuming undoing the deed can solve the problem. Sometimes, it doesn't, since the act still happened, even if it got reversed.

Hide contents

Bringing back Rudolf would actually be not a good idea, considering what he did before his death, all that baggage would still be there, waiting for him once he's back.

and then marth has his older sister use it to resurrect some no face priest who up and died two turns after his recruitment. And you thought everyone was pissed before.

22 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

(it's specifically stated Gharnef wanted the Aum Staff, though one can only infer exactly why

Well in retrospect, as in "as of FE3", the reason seems to be that Gharnef wanted Elice to revive him if it came to it. Though fortunately for him, he found other ways of surviving- the Darksphere and some ritual it seems.

On 8/24/2017 at 0:42 PM, thecrimsonflash said:

Takumi's thing isn't bitchiness it's sass, just look at his heroes artwork.

The problem with power of friendship is that it is never organic, it is almost always overplayed to a degree that some deus ex machina happens because of everyone's feelings for eachother. There is a difference between the main lord rallying his troops for the final battle with a good speech and the main lord being brought back from near death by everyone basically joining hands and saying "I believe" and then killing the monster with hopes and dreams. In other words the Yato is in pieces and corrin is dead end of story.

Oh yeah I forgot he existed.

But he'll probably join the friendship bandwagon too, much to my misery.

The story was never the attraction for this game, what I was interested in was possibly being able to play as Ike or maybe even Hector and decimate legions of enemies. And I'm still sitting here waiting for one of those if not both. I knew something resembling a story would be included but I was never hopeful for a deep story I knew it wasn't going to be in depth to begin with passable yes depending on what you consider passable but in depth no.

I always figured the resurrection staves weren't so much literally raising the dead so much as they were saving somebody who was just mortally wounded or is only very recently dead. Which is why you only can use them mid-battle to revive the most recently-killed ally.

27 minutes ago, Anomalocaris said:

Which is why you only can use them mid-battle to revive the most recently-killed ally.

Yeah, but that's only in Fates though. Every other game with resurrection staffs/other resurrection methods, you can resurrect anyone, there's just a limit. For the Aum and Valkyre Staff, they break after one resurrection (though the latter can be repaired). Ressurection Springs in SoV allow you to resurrect three dead character per spring.

The Valkyrie, being it can only resurrect people provided they haven't been dead for too long. It s unknown if this restriction applies to the Aum Staff and the Resurrection Springs.