Wii U to Switch: Port, Deluxe Edition, or skip?

Zapp Branniglenn

This morning I was listening to a Muppet talk about Nintendo games and the subject was pretty interesting - enough for a quick opinion poll. Which Wii U games deserve a second chance on the Switch? And should those games have a straight port (presumably made available only through eshop at a modest 20-30$ price), an enhanced "Deluxe" port with new features and content, or are they not worth the attention? Feel free to use any justification in your answer, like "this game ought to have been played by more people", "this game was great but is in need of some crucial updates", "I want to play this game on the Switch", etc. As well as mention how you think the games can function without the gamepad, or any other Wii U functionality that was dropped for Switch. Will the necessary changes be worth the development time?

Super Mario 3D World: Straight port.

-Wii U/Gamepad specific functionality: Miiverse posting

Not much to say on this one. It's a solid local co-op experience with a simplistic control scheme you could easily map to the joycons.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE: Straight Port.

-Wii U/Gamepad specific functionality: Text messages, dungeon maps, and enemy info are displayed on the gamepad.

Not a likely game to see ported, but I'd be happy to see it. The game would need some work done in displaying its information through some other means. Dedicated menus for your phone, and the map, and perhaps a "more info" button for enemies you're targeting. Still it's a solid SMT experience that I'm sure more people would enjoy.

Star Fox Zero: Skip

-Wii U/Gamepad specific functionality: Cockpit view with a more accurate targeting reticle. First person Hacking sequences when flying gyrowing.

Star Fox Zero's bosses and dog fight sequences tend to rely on the gamepad controls that let you hit targets that aren't even on screen. While a traditional third person gameplay style is feasible to program into this game, certain sequences may end up more frustrating as you cannot aim and move your ship independently with a more traditional control scheme. But the real reason I would skip this game is that it's not very good. It's a soft reboot of Star Fox 64, when the last game in the franchise was a faithful remake of that same game.

Xenoblade X is the only one I want on the Switch.  The screenshot function would be heaven in a title like this.  Every fan I know who has played this game has taken so many screenshots it's not even funny.  It's that beautiful of a game despite its graphical technical limitations.  It's also a game I feel got a lot of unfair backlash from the original Xenoblade community as many of them weren't aware that Xenoblade X is a call back to Xenogears and Xenosaga and they kept basing it off of the original Xenoblade.  Personally I am not a fan of the decision to use the Xenoblade name on it either but it's a game that I completely treasure.

12 minutes ago, kingddd said:

It's also a game I feel got a lot of unfair backlash from the original Xenoblade community as many of them weren't aware that Xenoblade X is a call back to Xenogears and Xenosaga and they kept basing it off of the original Xenoblade.  Personally I am not a fan of the decision to use the Xenoblade name on it either but it's a game that I completely treasure.

I remember reading about said backlash. Now I wonder if that's why I really enjoy Xenoblade X but couldn't care less about Chronicles. XC2 looks alright but really only X made me go "wow I really want to play this game!" Maybe I should go take a look into Xenogears if XCX plays more like those.

1 minute ago, Ronnie said:

I remember reading about said backlash. Now I wonder if that's why I really enjoy Xenoblade X but couldn't care less about Chronicles. XC2 looks alright but really only X made me go "wow I really want to play this game!" Maybe I should go take a look into Xenogears if XCX plays more like those.

Well it's more like Xenoblade X makes a lot of themes that are a call back to the Xenogears, Xenosaga style of story telling.  There are a lot of references in X that are 100% callbacks to Xenogears and Xenosaga.  X is basically takahashi wanting to restart doing his space fantasy opera style of game.  And it got a lot of backlash from the story because most of the people didn't bother playing the sidequests which is 80% of the game and the best parts of the game are the sidequest.  The original Xenoblade sidequests weren't all that amazing to begin with so most people went into that mindset of only beating the story and call it a day.  The thing with the main story is that he wants to make the story have some kind of continuation similar to how star wars did it.  While the ending did leave a lot of questions, it also creates an affect of wanting to learn more which is why the Fans are desiring a sequel for X more than XC2.

The gameplay of XCX is definitely nothing like gears or saga but the themes are very similiar to it.  Xenoblade was a completely different departure from gears and saga that a lot of backlash was from stubborn players who wanted the same exact JRPGesque epic style of story telling.  They also weren't willing to try an open world rpg style of game and thus there was a lot of misjudgement of the game in general.  Like if you look at the prerelease stuff, X was promoting exploration in the game and while yes there was a story trailer it wasn't the main focus they were trying to promote.  It was trying to promote gameplay first and foremost.

Edited by kingddd

To answer the topic, it kinda bugs me when they release expansions of games onto the new console. Like wow I wasted $60 on Mario Kart 8 and another $12 on the DLC when I could've just waited for MK8 Deluxe that has everything all in one for a reduced price. Oh and Pokkén Tournament? It also bugs me that it's getting a deluxe version for Switch. I only have the Wii U so they basically just said "fuck you" for getting this game day 1. They wouldn't release the arcade characters and waited until the Switch came out to release the game with all of the characters. It felt like I owned an incomplete game.

I'll be just as irate if they ever make a Smash 4 Switch version with all the DLC included. I spent a shit ton of money on that game alone and if they were to re-release it with everything included at a reduced price then I basically spent more money than I should have. I don't want Nintendo to go overboard re-releasing games because how much more will they make the Wii U obsolete before its entire 1st party library is available on Switch. If that became a reality then I would've wasted money on a Wii U when I could've just waited for the Switch to have all the games I wanted on 1 platform.

2 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

To answer the topic, it kinda bugs me when they release expansions of games onto the new console. Like wow I wasted $60 on Mario Kart 8 and another $12 on the DLC when I could've just waited for MK8 Deluxe that has everything all in one for a reduced price. Oh and Pokkén Tournament? It also bugs me that it's getting a deluxe version for Switch. I only have the Wii U so they basically just said "fuck you" for getting this game day 1. They wouldn't release the arcade characters and waited until the Switch came out to release the game with all of the characters. It felt like I owned an incomplete game.

I'll be just as irate if they ever make a Smash 4 Switch version with all the DLC included. I spent a shit ton of money on that game alone and if they were to re-release it with everything included at a reduced price then I basically spent more money than I should have. I don't want Nintendo to go overboard re-releasing games because how much more will they make the Wii U obsolete before its entire 1st party library is available on Switch. If that became a reality then I would've wasted money on a Wii U when I could've just waited for the Switch to have all the games I wanted on 1 platform.

Yeah, I hear you. I'm not a fan of deluxe versions either and would prefer straight eshop ports with retooled functionality to fit the Switch's capabilities. Especially since I bought basically every major release for the Wii U besides Splatoon, and Splatoon is the one game that gets an actual sequel. It's especially a bother because a lot of my gamer friends, who have spent the last 5 or so years exclusively PC gaming and not caring about consoles, are really into the Switch and do want to play these deluxe editions with me. If Nintendo didn't have all these bass-ackward account policies, they could set up programs that offer you a discounted digital price on games you bought the original versions of.

You basically said what I wanted to with TMS, it would just be moving all the gamepad stuff to menus or something, maybe to signify you got a text in the game or whatever the joycons could vibrate.

Beyond TMS, I could possibly see them porting Wind Waker and Twilight Princess HD to the switch, which I would hope they'd just be straight ports.

On the deluxe edition: I understand that many are unhappy with having to pay more for the same game on a different console with some minor additions, but from my point of view, I'm just happy to play the games, as since I never got a wii-u, and me managing to grab a switch, I get what should be the definitive version to play, so I'm enjoying Mario Kart 8 deluxe and look forward to playing Pokken deluxe.

5 hours ago, Ronnie said:

As much as I want that version, I would actually be upset as I bought all the dlc as well for that (given Sakurai said it would be the last one, at least that he'd work on), so at that point it would between my 3ds and the switch, the handheld game that is the only title above youtube and Fire Emblem on my 3ds, or the same game but better looking, with all the content I bought and even more. This is why I'm kinda hoping they wait until later in the switch's lifetime to release Smash 5 and have it be it's own thing.

While I would very much welcome Wii U ports to the Switch since I personally skipped the system, I can understand that the people who did buy a Wii U would be frustrated by the practice since they have A) already played a game that might steal the spotlight and/or resources of new games and B) in case of a deluxe edition, had to pay for DLC/extra content that is now part of the main game...

That being said, I think there are a few select titles that might benefit from a re-release/deluxe edition on the condition that it is handled with enough consideration towards the original investors on the Wii U. A price reduction or bonus for early adopters similar to the 3DS ambassador program would be nice... Not sure if the (fair) implementation of such system is feasible or not though.

Edited by Master Thunderblade

Bayonetta 2 and Konkey Dong: Topical Cream are really the only Wii U games I really have interest in. Between ports and "deluxe" versions, I'd say port. I don't think either is super "deluxe"able. 

I would be interested in a Smash 4 Deluxe. Like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, it would have all the DLC characters, and some extra bells and whistles(Probably a proper story/single player mode). 

Bayonetta 2 and Tropical freeze are such quality titles that they deserve a second shot at better sales. Due to how wary publishers were and perhaps still are about the bayonetta IP it really needs any extra sales it can get.

I think its best to just leave Star Fox zero in the past. It would take a lot of work just to fix the control problems and that was just one of the many problems that game had. Its just not worth it and with Zero's bad reputation I don't see any demand for it either. 

Though as a good boy who did buy all those games on the WII-U I'm not sure how I feel about porting Wii-U games. I don't like the idea of having to buy Mario Kart again if I want to still play it online and in general I could end up in situation were I feel I might have to buy the same game twice.  

Edited by Etrurian emperor

@Glennstavos You know, the forum has an actual poll function. If you edit your original post, you can add a poll right now.

I think all the big Wii U games should be released as eShop titles on the Switch, but not at a deep discount unless you already own the Wii U version. If you're not gonna pay $50 for DKC: Tropical Freeze, then you don't deserve the luxurious privilege of playing DKC: Tropical Freeze.

3 hours ago, Zera said:

@Glennstavos You know, the forum has an actual poll function. If you edit your original post, you can add a poll right now.

I'm aware, but I felt any structure of poll would be inadequate, as people would prefer to answer on a case by case basis. 

Honestly, I think the more Wii U games they port to the switch the better. There are some great titles that only came out for the Wii U that will be lost forever once enough Wii U game pads stop working, since Nintendo decided that being able to buy a new game pad was too fucking sensible, and the install base for the console was so small that they never really reached as wide an audience as they could have. I would probably make exceptions for the HD rereleases from older consoles, but if the game's original release was for Wii U, then bring it on!