What are some things that you value in the Pokemon series?

Zerxen

Personally, every individual Pokemon that you capture prior to the Gen 6 games seem valuable to me. Those games today lack any wifi connection so anything you capture feels valuable, anything from a Dratini to a Feebas. I don't get that feeling of value in the current games as wifi connection allows obtaining any Pokemon (sans mythicals) to be achieved with ease. The "rare" Pokemon you find don't seem as rare since many of them are now bred. Hell any shiny Pokemon you find are even more valuable since the older games lack Masuda method and a higher shiny rate (I know Gen IV introduced Masuda method but GTS is dead now).

The music is a definite. Then there's the thrill of exploration. Then there's the creatures in the eponymous games themselves. Being able to connect with other people in recent titles. (Gen 6 did that the best, IMO.) Then the characters, even those with not much dialogue (e.g. most Gym Leaders, some of the generic trainers, even the average everyday citizen), or those with far less screentime than they deserve (e.g. Emma from X and Y).

Edited by Just call me AL

Yeah, the music, the exploration, and the Pokémons are all really valuable things. But honnestly,  that's not really what makes Pokémon worthwhile
This, however...

That's because they can do things like this, or the Magikarp Song/Mimikkyu Rap, that I will follow the franchise until the very end.

Edited by Tamanoir

5 hours ago, Just call me AL said:

Then the characters, even those with not much dialogue (e.g. most Gym Leaders, some of the generic trainers, even the average everyday citizen), or those with far less screentime than they deserve (e.g. Emma from X and Y).

That's one of the reasons I love gen five so much, they put a lot more emphasis on building the characters of the gym leaders and made them more like leaders of their towns. they actually HELP you against team plasma by fighting the Seven Sages while you go on to confront N in his castle. 

20 hours ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

That's one of the reasons I love gen five so much, they put a lot more emphasis on building the characters of the gym leaders and made them more like leaders of their towns. they actually HELP you against team plasma by fighting the Seven Sages while you go on to confront N in his castle. 

That was pretty dope. The Kalos gym leaders were a major dissapointment. Honestly every single one of them, except for Korrina, were really forgettable. They had no impact on the story and nothing memorable about them.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/25/2017 at 0:21 PM, Zerxen said:

That was pretty dope. The Kalos gym leaders were a major dissapointment. Honestly every single one of them, except for Korrina, were really forgettable. They had no impact on the story and nothing memorable about them.

They just seem like they were gym leaders for the sake of being gym leaders.

Kalos, Nay, the entire world, is in danger of being destroyed, and the gym leaders do nothing but stay in their gyms. I liked X and Y, but that's one of my least favorite things about it.

Gen 5 really nailed the characters in their games. Colress, Ghetsis, Hugh, the shadow Tirad, all the gym leaders (even marlon), and ESPECIALLY N are all super memorable and interesting.  

3 hours ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

Kalos, Nay, the entire world, is in danger of being destroyed, and the gym leaders do nothing but stay in their gyms. I liked X and Y, but that's one of my least favorite things about it. 

In G6's defense, it's not like other Gens didn't have that problem. Specifically, Gens 3 & 4.

On the other hand, these kinds of characters often kinda seem handled better in adaptations.

Edited by Just call me AL

11 minutes ago, Just call me AL said:

In G6's defense, it's not like other Gens didn't have that problem. Specifically, Gens 3 & 4.

On the other hand, these kinds of characters often kinda seem handled better in adaptations.

They defenitly did. Just look at the manga. In the red and blue arc, the gym leaders of kanto were divided between good and bad. Four working for team rocket, and four actively helping red working against  them.

On 03/09/2017 at 1:33 AM, DisobeyedCargo said:

They just seem like they were gym leaders for the sake of being gym leaders.

Gen 5 really nailed the characters in their games. Colress, Ghetsis, Hugh, the shadow Tirad, all the gym leaders (even marlon), and ESPECIALLY N are all super memorable and interesting.  

One of them is not like the other...

That effing kid was the ony reason B2W2 wasn't a perfect game. He managed to have a face as punchable as Blue.

13 hours ago, Tamanoir said:

One of them is not like the other...

That effing kid was the ony reason B2W2 wasn't a perfect game. He managed to have a face as punchable as Blue.

Well even if he wasn't the best rival, you gotta admit Hugh was far better than the likes of Brendan/May and Calem/Serenea. Dont get me started on Shauna, Trevor, and Tierno if you consider them rivals.

On 05/09/2017 at 0:36 AM, Fryer said:

Well even if he wasn't the best rival, you gotta admit Hugh was far better than the likes of Brendan/May and Calem/Serenea. Dont get me started on Shauna, Trevor, and Tierno if you consider them rivals.

Honnestly, he's a good character with an interresting charcater arc that fits actually pretty well with the game theme.
...He's just so damn irritatiing ! I physically can't stand this guy. But it's for "good" reasons.
He feels like a realistic (although really shitty) person.
B2W2's character writing is mile above most other games in the serie (maybe more so than BW as well. I would have never expecetd someone like Colress in a Pokémon game)

And Bianca and Cheren are cooler than Hugh(but they're still there, and better than ever.). Strange how they messed up in XY when they nailed it in BW.