Blárblade+

Izzy1713

Hey guys. I was just summoning units in heroes when I got a 5 star Odin. I want to pass on his tome to either Reinhardt or Mae but I can't decide. I like them both but I can only choose one. Any advice?

Edited by Izzy1713

Do you think you might be able to set up a cavalry team that can give Reinhardt Hone/Fortify Cavalry buffs, either now or in the future? If so, he should be able to get a lot more mileage out of it. Although of course when he's using it, he can't use Dire Thunder.

Personally, I'm planning on upgrading Ursula to be my cavalry Blarblade user, so she can do that while Reinhardt still uses Dire Thunder. (Although I'm only using regular Blarblade because I don't have a 5* Odin and don't want to bother upgrading one and I think that should be enough anyway.)

The Blade tomes get huge boosts from the horse emblem buffs (you can inherit skills from Gunther and Jagen). Leo and Cecilia are the logical red and green cav mages to use if you want to sacrifice a Nino and Tharja too.

I believe Reinhardt is best kept with Dire Thunder but if you get Olwen or Ursula they will make great use of Blárblade.

Just now, MonkeyCheez3K said:

Why would anyone run anything but Dire Thunder on Reinhardt? No mate, use Blade on infantry mages or Olwen/Ursula, not on Reinhardt. You know, the ones who can actually double stuff.

Reinhardt is actually quite good at Blarblade, believe it or not. He doesn't need to double stuff to get kills because of his higher Atk, and he can be dumb with Blarblade + Close Counter + Vantage. However, unlike Ursula and Olwen, he doesn't function nearly as well with just Hone Cav, but he can match or even outperform them with the full set of +6.

Mae with Blarblade+ would be pretty destructive I imagine, although her speed tier seems pretty average to get the best use of it. Does she happen to be +Spd?

As others have mentioned, Reinhardt wrecks stuff with Dire Thunder, so there's not much point in changing his weapon.

1 hour ago, Izzy1713 said:

Hey guys. I was just summoning units in heroes when I got a 5 star Odin. I want to pass on his tome to either Reinhardt or Mae but I can't decide. I like them both but I can only choose one. Any advice?

Of those two, definitely Mae. Reinhardt is ridiculous with his native Dire Thunder, there's no real reason to change that. However, it would be more useful on the likes of Ursula or Summer Corrin, or some future blue flying or horse mage. You could consider saving him for that. They'll likely run the Ursula GHB map sometime again, but who knows when.

Of course, investing in units that you really like is never bad, so if you really like Mae, that would be a good choice for that reason alone.

56 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Reinhardt is actually quite good at Blarblade, believe it or not. He doesn't need to double stuff to get kills because of his higher Atk, and he can be dumb with Blarblade + Close Counter + Vantage. However, unlike Ursula and Olwen, he doesn't function nearly as well with just Hone Cav, but he can match or even outperform them with the full set of +6.

I don't think that anyone was suggesting he is bad with Blarblade+, but just that, rather, the endeavor seems pretty pointless since he's so good with Dire Thunder. It's not going to make him more useful, so it's a luxury build for people with huge resources. The OP only has one Blarblade+ to give away, so it should go to someone who needs it, and Reinhardt definitely doesn't need it.

2 hours ago, Izzy1713 said:

I actually have a cavalry team. I still can't decide which members. I have Eldigan, Leo, Camus, Cecilia, and I'm currently training Reinhardt.

I'd say go with Eldigan, Cecilia, Camus, and Reinhardt. You should give Cecilia a Gronnblade from a spare Nino, and load up their C-passives with cavalry buffs.

3 hours ago, MonkeyCheez3K said:

Why would anyone run anything but Dire Thunder on Reinhardt? No mate, use Blade on infantry mages or Olwen/Ursula, not on Reinhardt. You know, the ones who can actually double stuff.

Because a fully buffed, optimized Blarblade+ Reinhardt has better match-ups than a fully buffed, optimized Dire Thunder Reinhardt.

Reinhardt's base Atk ties for the highest among cavalry mages (with Elise and Cecilia) and has a better weapon type (blue tome) than the characters he ties with. Spring Camilla is the only tome user with higher Atk than Reinhardt and access to movement-type buffs, and she suffers from a weaker weapon type (green tome).

Due to his high Atk and superior weapon type, Reinhardt can simply one-hit kill most units in the game without the need for a second attack.

Dire Thunder is used because it comes by default, doesn't require team support, and is "good enough" (understatement) to not need to consider alternatives.

Blarblade+ is stronger, but the cost is typically not worth the benefit for most players when you could make a good unit (i.e. not Reinhardt) into a superior unit instead of an already superior unit (i.e. Reinhardt) into a slightly more superior unit.

@Izzy1713Without tending to over-optimize, better give his tome to a fast mage (Linde, Delthea) or one who can get cav/flier buffs (Ursula) or even both (S!Corrin, Olwen).

If you lack all of these units, better wait for a Ursula GHB rerun (she is a free unit) or have some patience to pull one of the others. 

+SPD Mae is fast, but her tome is already good and interesting to use. Reinhardts tome is even better, no real need to change ... 

Blade tomes are good but they do need support, so I'd rather run Dire Thunder that can kill many even without support. Mae/Ursula/S!Corrin/Linde probably want it more.

9 hours ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

I fought this Reinhardt (merged), this Reinhardt killed my Fury 3 Hone Res Nino. I was so helpless against this for some reason. It's so surprisingly effective, especially in Horse Emblem (cancer).

8 hours ago, Logos said:

I fought this Reinhardt (merged), this Reinhardt killed my Fury 3 Hone Res Nino. I was so helpless against this for some reason. It's so surprisingly effective, especially in Horse Emblem (cancer).

How is it surprising? If you do the math, as Ice Dragon pointed out, Reinhardt literally oneshots the majority of the cast. Even a Green unit will need 71 HP+RES to avoid the KO from a fully merged +ATK DeathBlow Reinhardt with ATK+1 seal that has full Cavalry buffs. A +10 Nino needs to be +RES nature if she wants to survive with Fury and Fortify Res. If he had a Goad+Nohrian Summon weapon nearby, he can even oneshot an unmerged neutral Julia using Fury! Be glad he can't have Cancel Affinity.

Edited by Clogon

11 hours ago, Clogon said:

How is it surprising? If you do the math, as Ice Dragon pointed out, Reinhardt literally oneshots the majority of the cast. Even a Green unit will need 71 HP+RES to avoid the KO from a fully merged +ATK DeathBlow Reinhardt with ATK+1 seal that has full Cavalry buffs. A +10 Nino needs to be +RES nature if she wants to survive with Fury and Fortify Res. If he had a Goad+Nohrian Summon weapon nearby, he can even oneshot an unmerged neutral Julia using Fury! Be glad he can't have Cancel Affinity.

I was surprised because she survives unbuffed Reinhardt with Dire Thunder, and +Atk with QP seal, at the time I underestimated Blarblade+ with Horse Emblem buffs. That's why it was surprising, and also for what it seems Blarblade+ seems to very unpopular, compared to Dire Thunder for Reinhardt, that's why I mentioned this.

2 hours ago, Logos said:

I was surprised because she survives unbuffed Reinhardt with Dire Thunder, and +Atk with QP seal, at the time I underestimated Blarblade+ with Horse Emblem buffs. That's why it was surprising, and also for what it seems Blarblade+ seems to very unpopular, compared to Dire Thunder for Reinhardt, that's why I mentioned this.

Ah I see. The reason why it is unpopular is because Rein is so good as a standalone unit that most people prefer to invest into other units. Why invest in a char that already deletes 90% of all chars when you can use those resources to invest into weaker chars?

Edit:

Aren't we all glad he cannot get Cancel Affinity?

Edited by Clogon