Warriors: 60 FPS possible

Jedi

Definitely a trade off I will take. The demo footage of Fire Emblem Warriors already runs at a more stable frame rate than Hyrule Warriors for Wii U, so I've got to see how well the game looks with a more unlocked frame rate.

Dude.

Every dev should do this for all consoles.  Seriously, right now the only platform you can almost always choose to adjust graphical quality to allow for better performance is the PC, and that's a damn shame.

Whatever we may think of their various decisions on this game, this is an objectively good thing.  I definitely think frame rates > resolution, especially if it's only a difference between 1080p and 720p.

It's fantastic to see that Koei now seems to think that performance is actually important. I mean, I get that having a smooth framerate with that many enemies is hard to accomplish so I can accept that they would settle for 30 FPS on most platforms. But Hyrule Warriors Wii U did never even reach that benchmark unless no enemies were around. And I really don't think that that kind of performance is acceptable for an action game. Although maybe it was Nintendo that insisted that Hyrule Warriors had to heavily favor graphics over gameplay in order to push the Wii U.

Either way, I don't think 60 fps is the standard for Warriors games. So my hope is that them making a serious effort to get there is an indicator of how they will handle future Warriors games.

Edited by BrightBow

34 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Either way, I don't think 60 fps is the standard for Warriors games. So my hope is that them making a serious effort to get there is an indicator of how they will handle future Warriors games.

Most recent Warriors games have been last gen up-ports and have been 60 FPS (though a "soft" 60 FPS); FEW is 30 FPS normally but 25 FPS with attacks on screen, with character intro scenes being locked at 20 and the tail end of Corrin's musou actually bringing things down to 17. I'd say double those numbrs and that's what you're looking at in the "60 FPS" mode.

Just now, Captain Karnage said:

I wish more console devs would do this, thats the thing that drove me over to PC gaming is just so I could get a better framerate

Funny how they can get 4k visuals(ish) but have never been able to manage a frame rate above 40. 

2 hours ago, thecrimsonflash said:

Funny how they can get 4k visuals(ish) but have never been able to manage a frame rate above 40. 

It's a balancing act between assets, resolution, frame rate; it's hard to get a game running 1080p/60 FPS on benchmark hardware using current gen assets. There's a reason why past-gen remasters tend to run better than current-gen games in the same series. Either you go for resolution and keep the framerate at 30, or you scale that back and other things on the asset/rendering side to get a smooth 60 FPS.

*emerges from the GameXplain YT comments section, beaten up and bruised* Man, even their 60 FPS video has arguing.

But yeah, I'd be glad to take the 60 FPS. With how high TV resolutions have gotten, I find less incentive to give up something just for top quality, whether it's money or the more-noticable frames per second.

I wonder if there will be other trade-offs involved, like changing any kind of special effects or particle systems. I doubt it would come with a decrease in enemies on-screen however.