Offense vs defense

Ronnie

Fire Emblem taught me a valuable lesson in RPGs: defense is amazing! I love the speedy characters that hit hard but can't take hits but having defensive characters in RPGs just makes the game much more comfortable. It feels great to tank hits and not worry about healing every other turn. Especially important in games with permadeath.

Of course that's just in RPGs. In all other games like fighting and hack and slash I much prefer having offensive characters that can move around quickly.

Yeah, in rpg's it works well, though a combination of the two does work in some games, Xenoblade for example, it's live action combat, so have a tank to absorb the damage and a dps that's evasive, plus a support role to heal and deal range damage. Hack and slashers are all about speed and power, that's why I use Link or Linkle in Hyrule Warriors.

In fighting games, it depends, but many people tell me I'm pretty aggro when it comes down to it.

In most action RPG's like Final Fantasy Type-0, I go offensive.  It's kinda boring to me to have a character that focuses on defense or support in an action game.  However, it strategy RPG's, I prefer defensive solely because I want to know what the opposition is doing before I do.

Even in TCGs I'm a really aggro player.

The thing is, in video game, once you die, you lose. AI doesnt. So AI can pumping up their offensive as much as they want since their only job is to kill you or one of your party member to ruin your day. Meanwhile, you have to fight on horde and horde of enemies, killing one or two less wont make any different but if you are killed or let someone in your team die, then it's time to reload.