Voting Gauntlet: Choose Your Legends!  

295 members have voted

1. 1. Whom are you going to support?

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

Well, killing his family means killing Mist, and I actually like her... So I think I'll just leave it at "Die Ike."

Wow, how heartless can you be? If you care about Mist, you'd want Ike to stay around. The poor girl already lost her parents, yet you would take her brother too?

Seriously, that's really harsh...

12 minutes ago, Lord-Zero said:

@RezzyI was expecting this answer. The fact that they haven't gone back to the times of "no multiplier" or "fixed 3x multiplier" is proof that those weren't working at all. 

- No multiplier: The return of curbstomps and people sticking to the "obvious winner" just to be safe. Little or no reason to join other characters' armies. 

- Fixed 3x multiplier: Not enough tip scaling. No intensity. Curbstomps are still happening just to a slightly lesser degree. 

The current multiplier system, while flawed, is the best answer the developers have found so far. It's here to stay until the developers can come up with something better in the future. 

There's nothing innately wrong with a curbstomp.  If a character has that much more support, they deserve to win.  If the LA Dodger beat the local Little League team, the solution isn't to whack the Dodgers in the knees before they take their at bats, its to avoid matching up characters that are poor matches in the first place.  In the March Madness tournament, they don't award 20 free points to the 16 seed just to give them a chance to beat the 1 seed, if they want an upset, they have to earn it.  Favorites win most of the time, that's why they are favorites.  Arbitrary mechanics to artificially create more upsets rubs me and many others the wrong way.  Maybe if the #1 gets beaten in the first round because is this mechanic, they'll reverse this aspect.  The started this whole mess by leading off with Lucina against a bunch of also-rans.  Lucina won fairly because lots of people like her.  They never should have has a popularity gauntlet in the first place, if they thought the most popular character winning was a bad thing.

24 minutes ago, Koumal8 said:

Also, let me jump on the multiplier hate train for a moment before I go to bed: while it may be a little fun thing to get advantage of, all it does is punish actually popular characters and transform almost any bracket in a little RNG fest where the last hour carrying a multiplier or not basically decides everything, and there's not really any strategic element behind it seeing how it's not like the different teams have any means to coordinate their efforts and follow some kind of "plan". I did not participate in any previous voting gauntlet, but all this multiplier stuff achieve is that matches which would have one day been boring curbstomps are now less boring but more frustrating curbstomps where the multiplier might at the least minute reverse the result, while more even and engaging matches like Chrom vs Ephraim (or was it Hector vs Ephraim?) are just not a thing anymore. Let's look at the current Ike vs Roy situation: I'm on team Ike and I really hope he wins because he's probably the only male character who can actually duke it out with the ladies, but I wouldn't mind if Roy won, I like him quite enough too. The real problem is that basically no outcome will be satisfying in any way: if Ike wins, there's not much to be proud of, we had what? a 6x larger army of supporters or something?, while if Ike loses, there is nothing the Roy team should feel proud of since it'll just mean they got lucky, and really getting lucky isn't much of an accomplishment; the only possible satisfying outcome would be if Roy got a multiplier on the last hour and the Ike team managed to still nab the win by going all out with flags (I'm not even sure if that's mathematically possible btw).

You put a lot of my feelings nicely here.

Go Lyn woo hoo!!!

Bleh

It's like, soooo hard to be hype when you're sick.  

Anywho, my problem with the multiplier is the people who miss them fail to obtain points, which are tooootally needed to get feathers, which what this whole thing is like, really about. It's kind of unfair when your team has a multiplier and you're, like, doing important things.

But it is just a game though.... Hmmm....

18 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

There's nothing innately wrong with a curbstomp.  If a character has that much more support, they deserve to win.  If the LA Dodger beat the local Little League team, the solution isn't to whack the Dodgers in the knees before they take their at bats, its to avoid matching up characters that are poor matches in the first place.  In the March Madness tournament, they don't award 20 free points to the 16 seed just to give them a chance to beat the 1 seed, if they want an upset, they have to earn it.  Favorites win most of the time, that's why they are favorites.  Arbitrary mechanics to artificially create more upsets rubs me and many others the wrong way.  Maybe if the #1 gets beaten in the first round because is this mechanic, they'll reverse this aspect.  The started this whole mess by leading off with Lucina against a bunch of also-rans.  Lucina won fairly because lots of people like her.  They never should have has a popularity gauntlet in the first place, if they thought the most popular character winning was a bad thing.

There's something obviously wrong with curbstomps if the developers are coming up with ways to mitigate them. Curbstomps basically make casual people lose interest in the feature and, by association, the game itself. They need to keep things interesting and exciting for them. Also, don't mention sports-related things as those aren't related to this gacha game nor do I follow any sport at all so you lost me there. 

Edited by Lord-Zero

I find that the multiplier isnt completely a bad thing, upsets make it somewhat interesting in a battle with lesser known characters.  I don't really like how it's been implemented though, as most multipliers happen when I should be sleeping.  It also ruins the whole concept of a "Voting Gauntlet", which leads me to think it should be renamed first and foremost if they intend to keep things the way they are.  

However, this Gauntlet is when I finally feel bothered by it.  To me, this is a battle of the ultra heavy-hitting popular characters, and I for one am really into the Lucina vs Lyn battle right now (and will be even more invested in the hopefully happening Ike vs Lyn battle).  To have any of these matches between such crazy popular characters ruined by a last second mechanic would be very disheartening to see.  These are the battles I've been waiting for.  Because relatively speaking, these characters are all at the top.

I think ultimately IS should think more about the characters they pick for these Gauntlets, or perhaps even better would be to implement a lighter pre-gauntlet voting system to help determine who the most popular 8 heroes meeting the criteria of the next voting gauntlet would be.

6 minutes ago, Lord-Zero said:

There's something obviously wrong with curbstomps if the developers are coming up with ways to mitigate them. Curbstomps basically make casual people lose interest in the feature and, by association, the game itself. They need to keep things interesting and exciting for them. Also, don't mention sports-related things as those aren't related to this gacha game nor do I follow any sport at all so you lost me there. 

They changed it because people complained.  If enough people lead contrary feedback, maybe they'll change it again.

I feel like being one of the people at baseball games who announces things. So here are the current scores:

Roy vs Ike: Roy is winning 

Hector vs Chrom: Chrom is losing, but is closing the gap between him and Hector

Tharja vs Camilla: Camilla is winning

Lyn vs Lucina: Lyn is winning

2 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Team Ike, you guys need to cool it with the flags, you don't want to give Roy another multiplier.

Relax, Roy is still ahead by a little bit, Team Ike definitely eased up. We'll pull ahead in an hour or two and then it'll be impossible for Roy to get another multiplier.

3 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Team Ike, you guys need to cool it with the flags, you don't want to give Roy another multiplier.

I've only used flags during Ike's only multiplier hour so I'm doing what needs to be done. So long as our average hourly gain doesn't go up any further, Roy will fail to get the multiplier. 

It's Team Camilla that needs to seriously worry about a last hour multiplier.

Yeah, Team Ike will need flags for a fight against Lyn anyway. I know we can beat her too! Ike is the best! <3

But damn it, why did I have to get two Ikes vs a Reinhardt and Delthea here? -_- I hate when this happens.

I just wish that at least, something was going on in Lyn vs. Lucina. They're the only ones close enough for it to be boring. At the very least, Lyn isn't overwhelmingly popular. In different conditions, maybe things would have been different considering how relatively close they are, but I digress. 

1 minute ago, Arthur97 said:

I just wish that at least, something was going on in Lyn vs. Lucina. They're the only ones close enough for it to be boring. At the very least, Lyn isn't overwhelmingly popular. In different conditions, maybe things would have been different considering how relatively close they are, but I digress. 

You realize that Lyn whomped Lucina in the CYL poll.... and like, was the highest voted character (inb4 Ike split).

59 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

They changed it because people complained.  If enough people lead contrary feedback, maybe they'll change it again.

The complaints were because of the hard curbstomps. With no hope of "winning", the casual audience would lose interest. Considering the fact that the system has remained unchanged, either the "contrary feedback" isn't enough or the current system works...despite its flaws. Could be improved. 

Anyway, as for the guys, it doesn't who wins. He'll be crushed by either Lyn or Lucina. 

6 minutes ago, Lord-Zero said:

Anyway, as for the guys, it doesn't who wins. He'll be crushed by either Lyn or Lucina. 

Ike would put up a good fight against them and possibly win, I think.

Edited by Anacybele

3 minutes ago, Lord-Zero said:

The complaints were because of the hard curbstomps. With no hope of "winning", the casual audience would lose interest. Considering the fact that the system has remained unchanged, either the "contrary feedback" isn't enough or the current system works...despite its flaws. Could be improved. 

I think more of the casuals are drawn to the more popular characters in the first place.  Many casuals knew Lucina from Smash or even Awakening, but not nearly as many knew who say, Eirika was.  The fact that there were curbstomps means that most people were on the winning teams.

It's hard to say who will win the final round.  Lyn/Lucina may very well beat Ike, but in the first round, Ike has the highest vote total without multipliers.

I see the "Multipliers killed my dog and burned my house down" people are back. This is the closest popularity match you could ever hope for and the writing is almost set in stone. Lyn would win the girls side, Ike the boys side and Ike for the whole thing. The chance of another Chrom vs Ephraim match is miniscule, even without multipliers. People complaining are those on the juggernaut team who don't want competition.

Also, woo hoo to Ike and Lyn. I'm not going to be one of those guys that says the 3DS games are trash compared to the old but it's nice to see a veteran champion lead the charge for once.