Voting Gauntlet: Choose Your Legends!  

295 members have voted

1. 1. Whom are you going to support?

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, XRay said:

Just because it is possible does not mean it commonly happens. If you want to force it to happen without rigging it, you will need a lot of information on how fans prioritize their favorite characters so that you can set up the matches properly. Setting up the matches to intentionally produce close results is still technically rigging the match, but at least it is not as obvious as giving the losing team a multiplier. I do not think Intelligent Systems have that kind of information, so they are taking the easy way out and resorting to rigging the match through multipliers.

Then tell me this, you have two popular characters like Roy & Marth, shouldn't that theoretically mean that would be close match. I won't lie I'm still bitter that Lyn VS Lucina was nowhere as enjoyable as it should have been but there was still a gap of 400 million at the end of the day & it never went back & forth like it should have been. I won't pretend that I know that math in this but why shouldn't these gauntlet matches just have characters popularity in with the same era they've been in. I mean I think we know that Thracia 776 wouldn't stand a chance against Sacred Stone.

1 minute ago, Zangetsu said:

But then what do we call matches like Chrom & Hector then? Any intensity regarding those kind of matches just seems artificial & what you just said (as difficult as it is to understand for someone as dumb as me) sounds wwwaaaaayyyyy unlikely to happen. I mean, c'mon there's gotta be conditions fills out? As far I can remember Chrom & Emphraim had an awesome match because of their popularity & isn't that whole purpose of a mode called "Voting Gauntlet". The novelty of the concept has long worn off by this point. & maybe for the best too.

I wasn't paying attention. Did something interesting happen during Chrom v. Hector? All I remember was that Hector basically had the deal sealed from the get-go. The only way Team Chrom could have won was to get a last-hour or third-to-last-hour multiplier (a fourth-to-last-hour multiplier would also have worked if Team Chrom doesn't choke on the recovery from Team Hector's last multiplier).

If there was any intensity happening during Chrom v. Hector, it was due to the fact that people don't know how the current system works and think their team still has a chance.

2 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

If there was any intensity happening during Chrom v. Hector, it was due to the fact that people don't know how the current system works and think their team still has a chance.

That is definitely the case in some circles. Although I was seeing it in regards to Camilla v. Tharja. 

Just now, Ice Dragon said:

I wasn't paying attention. Did something interesting happen during Chrom v. Hector? All I remember was that Hector basically had the deal sealed from the get-go. The only way Team Chrom could have won was to get a last-hour or third-to-last-hour multiplier (a fourth-to-last-hour multiplier would also have worked if Team Chrom doesn't choke on the recovery from Team Hector's last multiplier).

I wasn't follow it either, but it sounds like there was wwwwaaaayyyy too many multiplier bonus for everyone's matches. Well except for Lyn & Lucy which just had 1 multiplier for each team.

6 minutes ago, Zangetsu said:

Then tell me this, you have two popular characters like Roy & Marth, shouldn't that theoretically mean that would be close match. I won't lie I'm still bitter that Lyn VS Lucina was nowhere as enjoyable as it should have been but there was still a gap of 400 million at the end of the day & it never went back & forth like it should have been. I won't pretend that I know that math in this but why shouldn't these gauntlet matches just have characters popularity in with the same era they've been in. I mean I think we know that Thracia 776 wouldn't stand a chance against Sacred Stone.

A close match only occurs with a small team size difference between the two sides. As previously mentioned, to have a back-and-forth, you need a difference of less than about 2%. To prevent multipliers altogether, you need a difference of less than about 10% (a difference larger than 10% can work since the team that's behind will likely be spending more flags).

In the CYL poll, Lyn lead Lucina by about 16%, and in the Voting Gauntlet round, Lyn led Lucina by about 14%. Both of these are outside of the threshold of a close match by any definition.

5 minutes ago, Zangetsu said:

Unless we have hard numbers to back it up, I am going to say that it is unlikely for characters with similar fan base size to match up with each other. We do not know if Roy and Marth have similar numbers in die hard fans. We also do not know how other fans prioritize Roy and Marth, as that can affect who has more fans in general. We also do not if Marth and Roy will be matched up against each other at all, especially if they are in two separate brackets and they lose before meeting each other.

13 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

A close match only occurs with a small team size difference between the two sides. As previously mentioned, to have a back-and-forth, you need a difference of less than about 2%. To prevent multipliers altogether, you need a difference of less than about 10% (a difference larger than 10% can work since the team that's behind will likely be spending more flags).

In the CYL poll, Lyn lead Lucina by about 16%, and in the Voting Gauntlet round, Lyn led Lucina by about 14%. Both of these are outside of the threshold of a close match by any definition.

I guess I was only fooling myself then, still I couldn't help but be hopeful since Chrom's ranking is still higher than Emphraim by nearly 9,000 so that had to mean something right? I mean I should factor how many people were split in choosing Lucina & Chrom, but still.....

7 minutes ago, XRay said:

Unless we have hard numbers to back it up, I am going to say that it is unlikely for characters with similar fan base size to match up with each other. We do not know if Roy and Marth have similar numbers in die hard fans. We also do not know how other fans prioritize Roy and Marth, as that can affect who has more fans in general. We also do not if Marth and Roy will be matched up against each other at all, especially if they are in two separate brackets and they lose before meeting each other.

Yeah does makes sense, *sigh* I guess there's just no fixing on what can't be fix.

Edited by Zangetsu

Camilla... first you stole my first pity trying for Tana, now this?

On top of the boob thing and Warriors's mess?

...I will never like you.

I'll be Team Ike when I get home. No idea what my Lyn rank was. Won't care about the Ike one because prac, so I'll burn my flags ASAP.

Might put Clair as my mascot to be different. Mostly Florina except Swordbreaker and Luna, final tier everything, and 5* +1. And no Breath of Life, but who used that?

LYN, WHY?! WE SHALL AVENGE YOU! Though it would be fun if the character with the smaller fanbase won the finals, I'd be interested in seeing what IS would come up with to adress the multiplier issue.

Spoiler

Now I'm imagining a state carrying out elections with the muliplier system lol

26 minutes ago, Korath88 said:

Apparently some idiot on my friends list has a Close Counter Innes. Just why?

I... I hope he isn't -def at least like mine, because you're not getting far with 11 def.

Also sob noooo Lyn you were supposed to win this! I was supposed to have oppurtunity to spend my flags on multipliers in the finals and get a good rank. Now only trashing Camilla matters. I thought that it would be more in favour for Ike, but the gap is closer than it was with Ike/Hector and Lyn/Camilla, which considering the multiplier will probably actually work out better.

4 minutes ago, Koumal8 said:

Now I'm imagining a state carrying out elections with the muliplier system lol

The United States have something similar called the Electoral College.

I was hoping to see Ike vs Lyn so that team Ike would have a reasonable multiplier at some point but it seems that won't be happening any time soon. I guess I'll just wait for team Camilla to abuse their multiplier enough to get at least some multiplier for Ike too. I have 1 700 flags saved up, so I don't need to worry about wasting them at least.

4 minutes ago, Eleanore said:

I... I hope he isn't -def at least like mine, because you're not getting far with 11 def.

Also sob noooo Lyn you were supposed to win this! I was supposed to have oppurtunity to spend my flags on multipliers in the finals and get a good rank. Now only trashing Camilla matters. I thought that it would be more in favour for Ike, but the gap is closer than it was with Ike/Hector and Lyn/Camilla, which considering the multiplier will probably actually work out better.

He's -def lol. 12 def at +3 merge.

As disappointed as I am about Camilla last minute defeating Lyn with the bonus... This is why the bonus multiplier exists in the first place.

Without the bonus effect, we'd know the winner of every battle within one hour. Makes having the whole thing drag on 48 hours kind of a waste then if it's decided right at the start.

Plus, we all know that without the bonus multiplier, Lyn got more votes in the CYL voting.

I might be one of the few people who dislike Ike, so I'm going with Camilla and hoping she can win through the multipliers again.

16 minutes ago, Zangetsu said:

I wasn't follow it either, but it sounds like there was wwwwaaaayyyy too many multiplier bonus for everyone's matches. Well except for Lyn & Lucy which just had 1 multiplier for each team.

Both teams had several multipliers before they stopped.

2 minutes ago, Xaos Steel Wing said:

As disappointed as I am about Camilla last minute defeating Lyn with the bonus... This is why the bonus multiplier exists in the first place.

Without the bonus effect, we'd know the winner of every battle within one hour. Makes having the whole thing drag on 48 hours kind of a waste then if it's decided right at the start.

Plus, we all know that without the bonus multiplier, Lyn got more votes in the CYL voting.

I might be one of the few people who dislike Ike, so I'm going with Camilla and hoping she can win through the multipliers again.

You're not wrong, but the point of a voting gauntlet was for the most popular to win, I'm sure. Since multipliers, gauntlet has lost all credibility it had of being the popularity contest it was meant to be, with feathers for people who participated. Now it's just a feather dispenser, with meaningless coin-flip results along the way. Waste of fucking time.

I was very surprised Camilla won... and would have preferred a Lyn vs Ike final...

That said, a number of people wanted less predictable matches right?

...well who saw this coming?

Idk, in the end I find the best thing to do is try and pick up as many feathers as you can, and forget the rest. It may be cynical, but it's a lot more fun than feeling super salty?

1 minute ago, Raven said:

You're not wrong, but the point of a voting gauntlet was for the most popular to win, I'm sure. Since multipliers, gauntlet has lost all credibility it had of being the popularity contest it was meant to be, with feathers for people who participated. Now it's just a feather dispenser, with meaningless coin-flip results along the way. Waste of fucking time.

Wouldn't it be a waste of time without the multipliers anyway? Since you pretty much know who will win after the first hour... all the excitement would be done and resolved after the first hour, and then it just becomes a feather dispenser depending on how many half hour intervals you can log in for.

We already know who is the most popular from the CYL rankings anyway.

So this happened. Not too sad actually. I am not too much of a lyn fan, I like Camilla better. But I have been on team Ike from the start since brave ike. So... time to beat Camilla! I have my Lucina up.

4 minutes ago, Xaos Steel Wing said:

Wouldn't it be a waste of time without the multipliers anyway? Since you pretty much know who will win after the first hour... all the excitement would be done and resolved after the first hour, and then it just becomes a feather dispenser depending on how many half hour intervals you can log in for.

It would be a waste of time, minus the salt being generated right now. And proper, frequent participation was a much better system than being online at the right times to catch the multipliers to put yourself ahead of others who weren't online at the right times.

Edited by Raven

1 minute ago, Xaos Steel Wing said:

Not entirely, since Gaius had a bigger team in the first hour, but team Fredrick grew larger during the battle. I think close battles are more exiting without the multiplier, although those would be pretty rare without the multiplier

1 minute ago, Xaos Steel Wing said:

You're aware Camilla ranked fourth in the female bracket but had a bigger team then Tharja right?

Dunno, I feel like the voting gauntlet needs a complete overhaul that removes completely the "voting" aspect of it: why not have the winner army be determined by how good they perform against each other? For example, the one with the highest Wins to Losses ratio wins. And then internal rankings with maybe some kind of multiplier affecting only the individual players. I mean, ideally I'd like something more elaborated than that, but using the Wins to Losses ratio seems like a good foundation to build on (obviously, make it so that bringing a lv.1 unit to cheese the battles with your allies is no longer possible, maybe even allow only lv.40 units to take part)

Huh, Camilla won. Neat. I'm alright with both Ike and Camilla, but I guess I'll go with Ike because why not. If anyone wants to add me, my ID is 5367543341 with the same name I have here. My lead is currently a level 40+1 +Atk/-Res Julia with G Tomebreaker, but I also have a 40+1 Reinhardt with his standard build, a vanilla level 40 CYL Lyn, and a WIP level 40 Bride Lucina with her base kit plus Luna and Death Blow 2, if blue or colorless are more desired.