Vaximillian

Who will be you free pick hero?  

211 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be you free pick hero?

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a bit of a toss up between Lucina and Ike for me. Really want both, but I think I will choose Ike as my free character and hope to pull Lucina later. Really need a good axe user, and Ike is exactly what I am looking for.

I'm in a toss up between Lyn and Lucina for my free summon, Lyn seems WAY OP and is the first horseback archer (also the grey summoning stone has some of the worse luck, looking at you 4* Wrys) but at the same time, when I saw Lucina I nearly cried tears of joy that her great lord design looks amazing. Oh yeah I also cried when they said we'd get one for free, as they haven't done that to us yet, and on the biggest and possibly hypest banner yet they do it, they're really trying to appeal to many. Even though I'm in a toss up between Lyn and Lucina, I really do hope I pull them all, and I may actually whale beyond the amount I normally go for (sorry Amelia, even though I don't have you yet, these CYL versions take priority)

7 minutes ago, Bartozio said:

I'm expecting them to be limited, but I can't remember anything being said about that.

I remember reddit pointing out that the New Heroes versus Special Heroes thing they did for banners (New Heroes was for permanents, Special for seasonals), and CYL was listed as New.

@Ice Dragon, could you substantiate this with your observations about the Japanese version of the introduction?

As I stated in the other topic, I am likely to go for CYL Lyn. I'm still a bit salty for not getting Bride!Cordelia, and my efforts for getting Summer!Corrin are failing miserably as well. (I need another OP character that is not Nino. Nino can only carry me so far...)

My reasoning for Lyn is that she is Archer Cavalry and I have Camus and Xander at the ready. (I also have a +SPD Olwen, but her damage output is so poor without Life and Death, and she prefers a +ATK nature.) Also, she's an "oldschool" representative, so I gotta go with that!

Despite going with Lyn, I would also love to get CYL Ike and CYL Lucina as well. Both of them have amazing artwork and skills, and I love their characters too.

Edited by Sire

17 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:

I remember reddit pointing out that the New Heroes versus Special Heroes thing they did for banners (New Heroes was for permanents, Special for seasonals), and CYL was listed as New.

@Ice Dragon, could you substantiate this with your observations about the Japanese version of the introduction?

I scrolled down the Twitter until I hit Rite of Shadows.

All of the limited banners were announced 超英雄登場, "super hero introduction".
All of the non-limited new character banners were announced 新英雄登場, "new hero introduction".
All of the banners for existing characters were announced ピックアップ召喚, "focus summon".

The CYL banner image in the stream was labeled 新英雄召喚イベント, "new hero summon event". I didn't see a previous banner image with this particular phrasing, but I'm pretty sure that's because this was specifically for the stream. It will probably be more clear once the preview teaser is released since the exact banner image used for the announcement is shown at the end of the preview.

I can't choose between Ike or Lyn. 

I still don't have a decent archer and everyone is raving about her.

Ike on the hand is one of my fav. characters and he's not bad either...

I would be really sad if i choose Lyn but never end up getting Ike. But if I choose Ike and never get Lyn i'd still have no decent archer and I'd feel left out since she'll probably be used a lot in future content and almost everyone will choose her.

6 hours ago, Rezzy said:

I wonder why Lyn appears to have a BST 5 higher than she should for a ranged cavalry, but Roy's BST is in line with what we would expect, unless Lyn's skill raised her up 4 points, but it looks like a Blow skill, not a flat increase one.

If Lyn just inexplicably has higher BST, I'm not fond of the precedent it sets.

Lyn and Ike get special passives due to being the first place finishers. It's possible that they also get increased BST for the same reason.

Non-inheritable skills? That doesn't sound like a bad thing. And look- we finally have a bow mounted unit. Now open the floodgates and let Astrid in (ideally based more on her PoR stylings than her RD ones), and Wolf too, plus Sin or Rath for an actual Sacean who rides horses and uses bows at base, and someone from Jugdral too.

Lucina's weapon is totally new right? Well I guess that had to be due to there being no truly original legendaries in 13 outside of: Goetia, Grima's Truth, Amatsu, Wolf Berg, and kinda the Gaiden-inspired Sol/Luna/Vengeance/Astra.

This still isn't enough to get me into the game though. I'm just going to bide my time for now.

Poll was unsurprising lol.

I think without a doubt, Ike is the best unit competitively.  Yes, I know horse archers are tempting but if you look at it subjectively I think Ike blows her away.  We have a unit who can tank a crap ton of damage, deal a crap-ton of damage, counter blades, extra damage against fliers and horses, accelerate special trigger with 16mt, and this is all using only the weapon and B slot.  We can still put DC on him making him an unstoppable madman.  The only thing that can hurt Ike is if they decide to give him low res.  Otherwise, using him would be exactly like he was in PoR endgame.

Lyn is great too, but I think most of the hype is around her being a bow horse.  Interestingly enough, she also can counter blade tomes and nullify DC which was Bride!Cordelia's one flaw.  However, with that bow you probably won't want to give her a brave bow which differentiates them.  I don't think she'll be as powerful at ORKOing all units as Bride!Cordelia, but has less flaws overall.

Lucina is Ephraim+.  It's obvious that's what they're going for, look at this artwork - Shield, blue armor, gold trim, lance, blue/red cape AND her weapon pretty much one-ups Ephraim and Eirika's.  I know there's some old concept in this outfit, but c'mon, it's obvious they're playing off Ephraim's design.

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/nintendo/images/5/56/Ephraim_(Fire_Emblem_Awakening).png/revision/latest?cb=20130112210237&path-prefix=en

Roy is sadly not very interesting.

Edited by Lushen

I looked at my five star heroes and I've narrowed down who I want to one of these three. Lucina, Lyn and Ike. I'm leaning more towards Ike because a) he seems like the best choice and b) I have a very low selection of 5 star green units. I want to pick Lucina and Lyn because of favoritism reasons. Who should I go for?

12 minutes ago, Lushen said:

Lucina is Ephraim+.  It's obvious that's what they're going for, look at this artwork - Shield, blue armor, gold trim, lance, blue/red cape AND her weapon pretty much one-ups Ephraim and Eirika's.  I know there's some old concept in this outfit, but c'mon, it's obvious they're playing off Ephraim's design.

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/nintendo/images/5/56/Ephraim_(Fire_Emblem_Awakening).png/revision/latest?cb=20130112210237&path-prefix=en

Roy is sadly not very interesting.

Some old concept? It's her great lord outfit.

Man, I feel kind of bad for Roy at this point.

1 minute ago, Poimagic said:

I looked at my five star heroes and I've narrowed down who I want to one of these three. Lucina, Lyn and Ike. I'm leaning more towards Ike because a) he seems like the best choice and b) I have a very low selection of 5 star green units. I want to pick Lucina and Lyn because of favoritism reasons. Who should I go for?

I'm going Lucina to make sure I get her, but I really could use more good greens. In the end favoritism wins.

Edited by Arthur97

1 minute ago, Arthur97 said:

Some old concept? It's her great lord outfit.

Eh, I never played her game sadly.  

Still, the similarity is undeniable.  The only side by side I could find was a cosplay, but they look fairly accurate to what their portraying 

Spoiler

1392265605306.jpg

On 8/29/2017 at 1:39 AM, Lushen said:

Eh, I never played her game sadly.  

Still, the similarity is undeniable.  The only side by side I could find was a cosplay, but they look fairly accurate to what their portraying 

Reveal hidden contents

1392265605306.jpg

Spoiler

I mean, the picture you gave of Ephraim was from Awakening too, and since it was DLC, Lucina probably came first. I kind of doubt the similarities were intentional though...in her costume. Gameplay wise in Heroes, yes, whether that was the intent or not, she seems like a better Ephraim.

Edited by Arthur97

22 minutes ago, Lushen said:

Poll was unsurprising lol.

I think without a doubt, Ike is the best unit competitively.  Yes, I know horse archers are tempting but if you look at it subjectively I think Ike blows her away.  We have a unit who can tank a crap ton of damage, deal a crap-ton of damage, counter blades, extra damage against fliers and horses, accelerate special trigger with 16mt, and this is all using only the weapon and B slot.  We can still put DC on him making him an unstoppable madman.  The only thing that can hurt Ike is if they decide to give him low res.  Otherwise, using him would be exactly like he was in PoR endgame.

He doesn't do extra damage against cavalry or fliers, he just gets to ignore their buffs (which is still very nice).

8 minutes ago, Sproutling said:

He doesn't do extra damage against cavalry or fliers, he just gets to ignore their buffs (which is still very nice).

That's not how I read it.

"Effective against flying and cavalry unis.  Foe's bonus's () are nullified during combat".  Two sentences, two things.  You could be right, which would sound a lot more balanced, but either way it is not written well.

Just now, Lushen said:

"Effective against flying and cavalry unis.  Foe's bonus's () are nullified during combat".  Two sentences, two things.  You could be right, which would sound a lot more balanced, but either way it is not written well.

Yeah, @Sproutling is right  and yeah it's mistake on translator side. They will probably correct it later.

4 minutes ago, Tenzen12 said:

Yeah, @Sproutling is right  and yeah it's mistake on translator side. They will probably correct it later.

Has this been confirmed somewhere or are you just assuming?

It's hard to tell with IS because they don't exactly have a history of providing balanced units...

11 minutes ago, Lushen said:

"Effective against flying and cavalry units.  Foe's bonus's () are nullified during combat".  Two sentences, two things.  You could be right, which would sound a lot more balanced, but either way it is not written well.

Ice Dragon and someone else already went through the Japanese description of it and it's just a skill that nullifies cavalry and flyer buffs. The English description just has poor word choice because of what "effective" means for us. The word "effective" in Beorc's Blessing means this skill is only effective against flyers and cavalry, but effective also means to us bonus, x1.5 damage because all anti-cavalry, anti-flyer, and anti-infantry weapons have "Effective against ___" in their descriptions. Even then, Beorc's Blessing granting both x1.5 to cavalry and flyers and nullifying their buffs would be pretty insane of a skill for anyone to have.

If anything, they should have used "affect" as in: "Affects flying and cavalry units. Foe's bonuses (from skills like Fortify, Rally, etc.) are nullified during combat. (Skill cannot be inherited.) "

Edited by Kaden

13 minutes ago, Lushen said:

Has this been confirmed somewhere or are you just assuming?

It's hard to tell with IS because they don't exactly have a history of providing balanced units...

It was confirmed via reading the Japanese version of the skill and noticing it's worded more or less the same as Lyn's anti-magic one, just with horses/fliers rotated in.

Choosing Ike since he'll be the hardest to hunt. Then I'm pulling for the others starting with Roy. I acknowledge that Lyn may be the only horse archer this game ever sees, but that's the only thing that causes me pause with this choice. I have so many other archers, including the current best one.

Edited by Glennstavos

28 minutes ago, TheNiddo said:

It was confirmed via reading the Japanese version of the skill and noticing it's worded more or less the same as Lyn's anti-magic one, just with horses/fliers rotated in.

39 minutes ago, Kaden said:

Ice Dragon and someone else already went through the Japanese description of it and it's just a skill that nullifies cavalry and flyer buffs. The English description just has poor word choice because of what "effective" means for us. The word "effective" in Beorc's Blessing means this skill is only effective against flyers and cavalry, but effective also means to us bonus, x1.5 damage because all anti-cavalry, anti-flyer, and anti-infantry weapons have "Effective against ___" in their descriptions. Even then, Beorc's Blessing granting both x1.5 to cavalry and flyers and nullifying their buffs would be pretty insane of a skill for anyone to have.

If anything, they should have used "affect" as in: "Affects flying and cavalry units. Foe's bonuses (from skills like Fortify, Rally, etc.) are nullified during combat. (Skill cannot be inherited.) "

Ah I missed Ice_Dragon's post.  Forum kind of blew up, couldn't keep up.  I guess really it doesn't matter though.  Horse units and fliers aren't known to be particularly good against infantry w/o buffs (w/ exceptions like Valter) so Ike should be able to 1v1 most without effectiveness and with Ike's weapon, I expect him to kill them all when their buffs are nullified.

Can we put the free summon off until the last day of the event?  If so, I recommend everyone do that because then you can pull all colors and if you get your favorite you can get a free second favorite instead of wasting orbs or getting your favorite twice.

edit:  I should also mention my thoughts on the character arts.

Ike is amazing.  I love Griel to death, probably because of his awesome armor and giant axe.  The only thing that worries me is does this mean we won't see Griel for a long time?

Lucina is pretty awesome.  Spears fit her quite well, and she definitely looks tougher than OG Lucina.

Roy is okay.  I absolutely love the fact that he looks like he's from his game, but him being on a horse with a sword is just too much Eliwood.  I would have rather they fixed Eliwoods art.  Either way, he's pretty cool with the giant sword.

Lyn is...dissapointing as far as artwork is concerned.  She looks exactly the same as OG Lyn, but feathers in her hair (nice tough), scarf (nice tough) and... a small plate covering her left breast (wtf why?).  Still, it's Lyn...on a horse...with a bow, so I shouldn't complain.  I just think they could have done a bit more to differentiate her art from OG Lyn's.

Edited by Lushen