Results of my einherjar only run

sirmola

I just finished an einherjar only run of awakening. I used chrom, the avatar, various einerjar, and the three champion DLC characters (because I did not want to pay any more for any additonal dlc), with some other storey characters being used untill I got enough einerjar (it actually took a while to get a full team, because einerjar teams can be harder on hard mode, and there are not many low level einerjar teams relative to high level teams. THis run was played on hard mode.  THe following is a list of characters I used, along with how useful they were:

Note that these ratings are subjective, and represent my play style/level up RNG. I did some light grinding but not that much IMO. These ratings do not represent efficiency play.

DLC Prince Marth: He has aptitude. this gives him really good stats, which makes up for his lack of skills. He can use the parallel falchion (or normal falchion, but I am already using chrom), and Lodestar has rapier access. For special classes like lodestar, you can easily reclass him to a second class to beef up his skills, and then reclass him back without having to worry about him being in a basic or advanced class.  Rating: Great.

DLC Roy: His stats were not great, despite me second sealing him so that he had more levels. One of the main gaps in einerjar characters is the lack of axe users, so I had him go Fighter-> hero. Rating: Good

DLC Micaiah: I reclassed her to peg knight immediatly so that she could go Dark flier asap. Shadowgift made her quite good, although she did not get galeforce untill right before the end of the game (at which time she became broken). She had really low DEF, though, so you had to be carefull. Rating: Really good

Nanna: Early game staffbot and buffed nearby units. Actuall stats stank, but has slightly better hit/avoid auras than anyone else. Rating: ok

Jamke: Galeforce at level 15 unpromoted. (plus decent stats) Do i even need to say anything else? Rating: MVP

Matthew:The only unpromoted thief avalible. Got him for locktouch. Should have just reclassed someone. Rating: Don't bother.

Tiki: the only manakete, reclassed her to mercenary to pick up armsthrift, and the dragonstone+ from the tiki paralog lasted me the entire run using only it. Tied to highest DEF on the team after boosts. Rating: Great

Florina: Dliverer gives her more range, but this is not that usefull when you are barely damaging anything (although there is some utility). Had flying staff utility later. Rating: good.

Moulder: wanted to actualy use a war cleric, but he had str and mag that were too low to be that usefull at either axes or healing. Find another staffbot. Rating: Don't bother.

Brom: If you reclass him, you can easily keep him at a level just below the enemies, so that underdog always activates. I reclassed him to wyvren rider, to make up for the lack of axe users. He was really usefull. Rating: Really Good

Soren: has Vetran. As a result, he was overleveled and had really good stats. Rating: Really good

Zephiel: really good stats, and Conquest. Makes a good great knight. Was not able to get him untill really late. Rating: Really good (would be graeat except for avalibility)

Lyn: got her late. Used her a little, and she was good (acrobatics did not hurt), but avalability hurts her. Rating: Good

Titania: Tried using her for counter, but she just did not cut it. replaced her with zephiel. Rating: don't bother.

Diadora/Sophia: pair up bots for my magic users/filled an empty slot. Did their jobs. Not rated because they were not used in combat at all.

Ares: Picked him up to fill the 16th slot in the final chapter, but he did not end up seeing any combat because I 2-turned that chapter using rescue. Not rated because he was not used in combat at all.

Note that there are some units (such as Camus) that I wanted to use but could not, because i could not beat their teams. I ended up having to buy two early characters due to small team size, but i refused to buy endgame characters, both because it felt like cheating, and because i sent lots of money on brave weapons. One thing that I did not like about this run was that the process of filling out my earlygame team left me somewhat overleveled for around 5-7 chapters. Inconclusion: this was a fun run, which I recommend you try if you want to see awakening again from another angle.

Edited by sirmola

39 minutes ago, sirmola said:

Titania: Tried using her for counter, but she just did not cut it. replaced her with zephiel. Rating: don't bother.

That's the problem right there, as Counter works better on the enemy units, than it does your own.

I did an Einherjar only playthrough once myself. I don't think I still have the file, but I do recall that Jamke was indeed a non-broken standout- he's the one good and easy to use Archer in this game. I used Arthur, he had crappy Magic, but very good Defense as a Dark Knight- Lex was obviously his father. I think I used Maris, Matthew, maybe Florina, and definitely Marth and Roy (who played second fiddle to Maris) and Mycen. I forget the rest.

It makes me cry to see the words Titania associated with "don't bother". Oh how the mighty have fallen.

It's a shame Micaiah took forever to get Galeforce, but glad to hear she was OP.

1 hour ago, Dandy Druid said:

It makes me cry to see the words Titania associated with "don't bother". Oh how the mighty have fallen.

It's a shame Micaiah took forever to get Galeforce, but glad to hear she was OP.

Honestly broken is probably too strong a word, given that the only place she was able to really take advantage of galeforce is the final chapter, where it was instramental to the two-turn. in the only other chapter she had it, she was constrained by the fact that her defensive stats were bad.

as for titania, its not that she's THAT bad. It is worth noting that Einerjar only runs have cavaleer availability issues, because there are no unpromoted cavalers. Titania is the lowest level great knight that you get (except mycen, who is obviously a jaigen. You can tell, because he is listed between lower level units in the bonus box list). In retrospect, i should have reclassed chrom, because prince marth was filling the lord niche.

THe other role that einerjar have a hard time filling is axe users. There are NO unpromoted axe users (although some jaigens, such as dagdar and mycen, have good axe ranks). As such, you have to reclasss someone, such as roy or brom. you may want to pick someone who is A. close to level 10, (Too far over, and you will have a hard time getting your level 15 skill by endgame.) and B, has ranks in a weapon that thier axe clas'es promotion can use (such as brom having  lance rank and promoting into a wyvren lord.