The 2* only Experiment

Marston

May as well open a thread. 

So, on a whim and for science I started a new account and wanted to see how far in the game I can get only using 2* heroes. Something no normal player would do, but eh, why not? It's not like the game requires that much time at the moment anyways and it will stay a side project.

So far, I've reached 11-5 and will wait until I get a few more ranged characters up, because that map is probably not possible with only melee units due to the turn limit and the enemy positioning. I just beat normal Narcian with my team which unlocked him for me (since he is one of the two only GHB units which appears as 2*). I am pretty sure I will hit a Brick Wall sooner rather than later, but if that actually does happen, I may "upgrade" the challenge to allow all free heroes (so GHBs, quest rewards or Tempest Trial). Basically, I want to see how far you can get with the bare minimum of everything. And if that doesn't work, I either call it a days or allow a bit more than the bare minimum.

I am not completely sure what I will do once I really hit a brick wall, bu the options I have considered are:

• Upgrade the challenge from 2* only to free units only
  • Allow Skill Inheritance
  • Allow merging
  • Allow a combination of all of the above

So far I haven't spent any orbs and only did the free pulls. I am not sure I would really like the idea of merging as I could simply use 3* heroes then. Skill Inheritance could be funny, I already got a 5* Tharja and the idea of a 2* Sophia/Raigh with the Blade+ tome is stupid enough to be tested! xD

The main team for most of the content was Sharena, Alfonse, Anna and Virion, who are level 39-40 already. I have several other characters already in the 20-30 range and I am still missing about half of the daily heroes. So there is still room for me. As I said before, I may "upgrade" the challenge and therefore am also using a few 3* units in order to finish the last few sacred seals quest. 

Well, maybe someone finds this intereting or may actually join me in my crusade. Anyway, I will update this thread from time to time if at least a few people show their interest.

Edit:

May as well post a video of my Narcian kill:

Edited by Marston

I'd wait before modifying the rules for the 2* challenge.  It's going to be rather. . .painful to get by without a blue tome, though.  Good luck~!

50 minutes ago, eclipse said:

I'd wait before modifying the rules for the 2* challenge.  It's going to be rather. . .painful to get by without a blue tome, though.  Good luck~!

Yeah, that will be fun. Also no dance, since that is 3* only. And I still don't understand why there isn't a single armor unit in the daily rotation. The only 2* armor we ever got was a Draug from a quest a few months backs.

But anyways, until I really can't progress anymore I won't change any rules.

Viel Erfolg! 

I was considering to play the story maps again with promoted starter units, but Sharena is already 5*/40 and the reduced XP-gain is kind of stopping me. Never thought of a 2* run, because bringing my second 3* Henry to Level 40 is already pain enough. 

Well, they bumped the EXP since release, so there's that. It's still not easy, because you can't really kill enemies that have the same level as you, due to the increase in stats with higher rarity. I am currently not doing much besides leveling (both the 2* and the 3* I got from a quest, just to get that final seal). I'm also waiting so I can have a new team of 4 level 1 characters, since I am lacking the crystals to instantly level all of them to 20 and beyond. And there are still 6 characters from the daily hero maps to get! :0

Small update:

So, for the most part, I am still leveling all of my characters. Hana reached 40, Sophia is 39, the second Virion is 37 and Subaki is also 38 or something like that. A new team, consisting of Narcian, Cecilia, Donnel and Lissa, is in the 20-25 range at the moment. Aside from those, I still have Stahl, Raigh and Matthew somewhere in the 20-30 range. Characters which are still missing or need to be leveled: Gunther, Olivia, Felicia, Wrys. I think that's it, unless I forgot someone. The only other character I could get would FRobin if her GHB returns once more.

The 3* Team consisting of Selena, Arthur, Matthew and Oboro is also around 32-35, so that's nearly done. 

Finally, I've reached 8-5 on hard and also beat it, but so far not without loosing noone (for the quest from last month, so that's that). On normal mode I am still on 11-5 and won't try that unless I get my Cecilia and Sophia (and maybe Raigh) to 40. I used my standard Virion, Sharena, Alfonse and Anna Team for normal and hard mode. I still need to beat Narcian with Narcian, I will probably do that in 9-2 on normal mode. Even though I already dread doing those armors again, ugh. That would at least give me access to a 3* Narcian.

Donnel's map is no problem if your units are high enough. Level 30-40 units, even at 2*, just take no damage.

So, no real progress in terms of story progression, but I did level most characters to 40. Only Gunther, Wrys, Felicia, Olivia, Lissa (4*) and Raigh and Narcian (3*) are not 40. Since Tempest Trial just released I will try to farm that (I can do hard 4 with Anna as 20% bonus unit) and try to get at least the Def+1 Seal, but I would love to get my hands on 5* Masked Marth and especially the Ranged Def at 20k points.

And yes, I still play on my main account. As I said before, this is a side project. I don't really care about playing that much, I just try to get the rewards I need. Since nearly all relevant characters are now 40 with the exception of one team (and FRobin once the GHB rereleases later this month) I will then try to tackle the story again. Also, it is INCREDIBLY HARD to level the support with 2* units. I can do tower floor 8, but not all the time and especially armor units regularly wreck me. I choose Virion/Cecilia, Sharena/Alfonse, Anna/Donnel, Narcian/Subaki, Lissa/Sophia, Stahl/Gunther and I am not sure how I supported the others. I mainly looked for synergy or where it made sense (the only two fliers together for example, same for the two melee horse units). Finally, I put the Summoner Support on Sharena, simply because I like her and she does wreck things.

Edited by Marston