Elise Confirmed!

RotomGuy

43 minutes ago, Iridium said:

How is it not contributing? They're contributing their opinion about the reveal: specifically, that they are unhappy with it, and that it has only served to continue trends that are responsible for them having little hype in the first place.

Just because you (and some others) personally are content with the roster does not give you the right to prevent anybody else from criticizing the game. Criticism is still a contribution, even if you don't like it. I would argue that his post, insubstantial and petty as it is, contributes far more to the thread than people like you who are complaining about people complaining.

Regardless of how good the game ends up being, it's pretty much a fact that this is one of the most spectacularly mishandled pre-release periods in recent history. Completely discounting the whole "it's missing three of the four most popular characters in the series, according to a poll that was taken right when it was announced and reinforced right before it came out, and the fourth nearly got cut" thing and focusing purely on what's relevant to the topic, let's just talk about the Elise trailer for a moment.

First off: Understand that even though you personally may not see much potential in Shadow Dragon characters, your opinions -- and I understand that this may be a revelation to you, so hold onto your seat -- are not shared universally across the entire fanbase. Considering that recent developments imply that the number of potential slots left for Shadow Dragon characters may be very limited, tensions are extremely high right now, so having yet another 3DS-era character get revealed feels rightfully like a slap in the face to these fans.

That would be bad enough, of course, but they aren't the only ones who have a right to be upset. Fans of Fates got to have Elise confirmed, but Elise was also on her own -- which caused an initial backdraft so great that they had to basically admit that Sakura is as good as confirmed too. This poses its own issue: with Fates now having as many characters as it does, the chances of any Fates characters who aren't the royals (including Azura and Corrin) getting into the game are virtually nil. Fans of these characters, such as Oboro, Charlotte, Arthur, and Jakob, also have every right to be upset at this announcement.

Not to be left out of the fun, with so many characters still needed for Shadow Dragon and Fates, Awakening also suffers. The little sisters were the royals most likely to get NPC'd, but now that they're in, even Awakening may need to make sacrifices. Will Tharja be locked off as a pre-order bonus or as Day 1 DLC? Will Owain and Severa make the cut at all? We have no idea, and at this rate, lord knows when we're going to find out. It's simply not healthy to be hyped for this game, and it's easy to see why people like the people you're complaining about view cynicism as the only option.

The Elise trailer is good news for fans of Elise and welcome news for fans of Sakura and perhaps Azura, but should absolutely be treated as ominous news for fans of literally anyone/anything else. This should especially be the case after viewing her trailer and realizing that she seems to largely be Leo but with more underage girl upskirts. Cynicism in this case should be the expectation, not cause for exile.

He was whining about wanting characters more interesting and charismatic than those of Fates, which I think reeks of unrealistic expectation given the games represented. Also, I'll admit to being cynical about SD characters, partly because I tried to give SD a chance, but couldn't like it, but mainly because I legit think Shadow Dragon's bound to draw the short straw character wise (outside of Marth, I frankly have no clue who besides Sheeda and Tiki I can give a realistic shot at getting in). And if you happen to be referencing the CYL poll in Heroes, I'm not putting much stock in that, given that this is the exact same poll where freaking Dorcas and Donnel ranked in the 20s (no way in the seven hells that's all legitimate popularity - Donnel ended up as one of the bottom ten males in the old Awakening poll, for reference). And wrt the other four characters you mentioned, Arthur was low enough in the Fates poll that I'm not confident in his chances (19th out of 36).

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

although complaining may be useless even so leaves as a precedent that both awakening and fate damaged the series and their overexploitation already tired,

although that depends on the point of view of each fan since they are the old and those who started in awakening or fate.

the most concise question would be, to which fan group is this game directed? 

heh I think the answer is in sight.

5 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Wonder if they do HW-styled elemental weaknesses, but they probably won't since the WT and flier weakness exist. If they were, it'd be a light glut again, but dark is pretty thin.

It's probably gonna be more like the standard Warriors games in that elements mostly apply certain effects and/or afflictions on the enemy. Like, Wind could probably let the user deal some bonus damage to the affected enemy if they're in the air.

6 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

He was whining about wanting characters more interesting and charismatic than those of Fates, which I think reeks of unrealistic expectation given the games represented. Also, I'll admit to being cynical about SD characters, partly because I tried to give SD a chance, but couldn't like it, but mainly because I legit think Shadow Dragon's bound to draw the short straw character wise (outside of Marth, I frankly have no clue who besides Sheeda and Tiki I can give a realistic shot at getting in). And if you happen to be referencing the CYL poll in Heroes, I'm not putting much stock in that, given that this is the exact same poll where freaking Dorcas and Donnel ranked in the 20s (no way in the seven hells that's all legitimate popularity - Donnel ended up as one of the bottom ten males in the old Awakening poll, for reference). And wrt the other four characters you mentioned, Arthur was low enough in the Fates poll that I'm not confident in his chances (19th out of 36).

Opinions change and memes happen, Dorcas and Donnel have memes to their names, and a spot in the fandoms hearts, that in Donnels case, he didn't have at the point of the first poll, also remember that Heroes was a worldwide poll and the Awakening poll was Japan only.

Donnel is much more popular in the west.

Edited by Jedi

7 hours ago, Iridium said:

How is it not contributing? They're contributing their opinion about the reveal: specifically, that they are unhappy with it, and that it has only served to continue trends that are responsible for them having little hype in the first place.

Just because you (and some others) personally are content with the roster does not give you the right to prevent anybody else from criticizing the game. Criticism is still a contribution, even if you don't like it. I would argue that his post, insubstantial and petty as it is, contributes far more to the thread than people like you who are complaining about people complaining.

Regardless of how good the game ends up being, it's pretty much a fact that this is one of the most spectacularly mishandled pre-release periods in recent history. Completely discounting the whole "it's missing three of the four most popular characters in the series, according to a poll that was taken right when it was announced and reinforced right before it came out, and the fourth nearly got cut" thing and focusing purely on what's relevant to the topic, let's just talk about the Elise trailer for a moment.

First off: Understand that even though you personally may not see much potential in Shadow Dragon characters, your opinions -- and I understand that this may be a revelation to you, so hold onto your seat -- are not shared universally across the entire fanbase. Considering that recent developments imply that the number of potential slots left for Shadow Dragon characters may be very limited, tensions are extremely high right now, so having yet another 3DS-era character get revealed feels rightfully like a slap in the face to these fans.

That would be bad enough, of course, but they aren't the only ones who have a right to be upset. Fans of Fates got to have Elise confirmed, but Elise was also on her own -- which caused an initial backdraft so great that they had to basically admit that Sakura is as good as confirmed too. This poses its own issue: with Fates now having as many characters as it does, the chances of any Fates characters who aren't the royals (including Azura and Corrin) getting into the game are virtually nil. Fans of these characters, such as Oboro, Charlotte, Arthur, and Jakob, also have every right to be upset at this announcement.

Not to be left out of the fun, with so many characters still needed for Shadow Dragon and Fates, Awakening also suffers. The little sisters were the royals most likely to get NPC'd, but now that they're in, even Awakening may need to make sacrifices. Will Tharja be locked off as a pre-order bonus or as Day 1 DLC? Will Owain and Severa make the cut at all? We have no idea, and at this rate, lord knows when we're going to find out. It's simply not healthy to be hyped for this game, and it's easy to see why people like the people you're complaining about view cynicism as the only option.

The Elise trailer is good news for fans of Elise and welcome news for fans of Sakura and perhaps Azura, but should absolutely be treated as ominous news for fans of literally anyone/anything else. This should especially be the case after viewing her trailer and realizing that she seems to largely be Leo but with more underage girl upskirts. Cynicism in this case should be the expectation, not cause for exile.

How is it not healthy to be hyped for this game? This game has been my most wanted cross-over since I got into FE, so why shouldn't I be hyped? I understand it's not going the way people expected, but what about those who happen to like the characters that are already revealed? Or those who are simply hyped because, hey, Fire Emblem?

I agree with a few of your points, but you can't just say that it's unhealthy to be hyped for this game, because it essentially means that you're telling us that we shouldn't be hyped for this game. I'm sure it was just a terrible choice of words and you didn't mean that, but if you did, then I don't know what to say.

1 hour ago, Lau said:

How is it not healthy to be hyped for this game? This game has been my most wanted cross-over since I got into FE, so why shouldn't I be hyped? I understand it's not going the way people expected, but what about those who happen to like the characters that are already revealed? Or those who are simply hyped because, hey, Fire Emblem?

I agree with a few of your points, but you can't just say that it's unhealthy to be hyped for this game, because it essentially means that you're telling us that we shouldn't be hyped for this game. I'm sure it was just a terrible choice of words and you didn't mean that, but if you did, then I don't know what to say.

To be honest, it's already too late to be hyped or not hyped. You either still are, became not hyped, or never were. To put it another way, you either like these characters, saw the 3 game thing and became saddened, or figured it out in the reveal trailer because the orbs in the shield made it obvious. 

6 minutes ago, familyplayer said:

To be honest, it's already too late to be hyped or not hyped. You either still are, became not hyped, or never were. To put it another way, you either like these characters, saw the 3 game thing and became saddened, or figured it out in the reveal trailer because the orbs in the shield made it obvious. 

The fact that 'saddened by the three game thing, but looking for a good game despite that' has been thoroughly debunked and dismissed saddens me. I'm still holding out...

Who am I kidding, there's no way I can justify getting it anyway. Why am I hoping it's good?

6 hours ago, Fiorex said:

although complaining may be useless even so leaves as a precedent that both awakening and fate damaged the series and their overexploitation already tired,

although that depends on the point of view of each fan since they are the old and those who started in awakening or fate.

the most concise question would be, to which fan group is this game directed? 

heh I think the answer is in sight.

Damaged the series? Seriously? How exactly have awakening and fates damaged the series? And what overexploitation, having three characters in an idol game?

What did you want, all the games being portrayed or to be completely based on the GBA games? Because in the first case you'd have 3 characters from each game at max and no one would be happy, and in the second case, you should realise that those games have more than ten years and using the recent ones makes more sense.

Obviuosly, disliking the game is fine, and saying it is too, but if you want to make this kind of comment, you're better in youtube's comment section.

9 minutes ago, Sbuscoz said:

Damaged the series? Seriously? How exactly have awakening and fates damaged the series? And what overexploitation, having three characters in an idol game?

What did you want, all the games being portrayed or to be completely based on the GBA games? Because in the first case you'd have 3 characters from each game at max and no one would be happy, and in the second case, you should realise that those games have more than ten years and using the recent ones makes more sense.

Obviuosly, disliking the game is fine, and saying it is too, but if you want to make this kind of comment, you're better in youtube's comment section.

or the gamefaqs forums

16 minutes ago, Sbuscoz said:

Your comment isn't much better. Let's look at the roster we have now. Chrom. Lucina, Lissa, Robin, Frederick, Cordelia, 10 Fates royals, am I missing someone? I don't think so. oh yeah my bad just Marth. Marth was our second FE character to be revealed for this game (after Chrom) and yet we still don't have anyone else from SD.

Even though I joined FE with Awakening and Fates, I have to agree with him. He doesn't mean damaged as in "lol wow these games SUCK" but rather FE has taken a different direction, for better or worse. Awakening and Fates did really good and that's amazing, but they're everywhere. It's really tiresome if you're a fan of the older games because they aren't thrown any bones at all. Everything is all about Awakening and Fates, while the older games are just forgotten about. With games like this where there's a limited roster, it makes the most sense to choose Awakening and Fates as two of the three games represented. The most popular, the newest. But don't treat the third one like garbage. We're 25 days away from release and Marth is still our only SD character. When they revealed Tiki's amiibo at E3, they could have revealed her then, it was the perfect opportunity. But instead we have to wait months and months to see if she's actually in. We have to wait until the last month to see more than Marth for Shadow Dragon.

At this point I won't be surprised if SD only has 6 characters while Awakening and Fates are hitting the double digits.

I think you guys should stop arguing, it's useless, nothing will come out of this except hate. None of you are to blame for this except for Int Sys, they handled this game poorly and honestly, I say they should've waited another year to release this game cause between remaking gaiden and heroes, I'm pretty sure the newer fans are a lot more familiar with old characters than ever before. So stop, it's not healthy for this fandom and community.

12 hours ago, Iridium said:

I don't mind criticism either as long as it's constructive and/or leads to healthy discussion. The opinions "I'm happy that Elise is in" or "I'm sad she's in" are both valid and related to topic at hand, however when followed up with a reason the latter can easily be invalidated. For example, if the reason is that a different fates,awakening or sd character has less of a chance of being added then the opinion is still valid. But if it's instead 'I don't like her, where's Gatrie' then the opinion is invalidated because at that point your problem doesn't lie with Elise being revealed,any other character could've been and you would still say the same thing, your problem is that a fates character got in over a different character not from the specified three games. The issue of character selection has already been discussed months ago, this isn't the place for that topic to be revived and if it's still a problem for you don't buy the game. Granted,for the person that you were defending they didn't specify whether they would've preferred a different character from awakening, sd or a different game so whether they should be jumped on immediately is still up in the air. However you can't blame people assuming for what their real problem was. People are ,rightfully, fed up with this complaint being brought up constantly and if you bring it up where it's not warranted then expect to draw their ire. And if said ire leads to the decrease of those complaints being brought up where they don't belong then I would say that the ends justify the means. 

I'm not saying that people can't have criticisms about the roster but bring those up when it's more appropriate and doesn't lead to derailing such as this.

Edited by Namarid

So Elise looks to be interesting, I like that tome idea that was said a few pages ago (the one where all mages use the steel tome or whatever and different combos pull out different spells). And of course we can assume Sakura will get in due to counterparts.

Oh boyo, I might as well throw in my two-piece about this. I'm a new fan of the series, I won't ever deny that, and Awakening is my favorite game of the series and of all time. Now I'm not trying to pull any Awakening is the best things or whatever, just keep in mind, the games you enjoyed as an older fan made you nostalgic and biased towards those games, heck it made you fall in love with the series. People feel that way about Awakening and Fates too. We can't deny that the series was dropping before Awakening, and then we got to here, with a gaiden remake, a mobile game that combines all games (representation is lacking for some I'll admit), and a warriors game about to be released. The series has come a long way in just 5 or so years. It honestly was an astounding turnaround point that IS is still trying to figure out what happened. They decided to go with the safest bets for this game being the games that sold the most and the classic game. Am I dissapointed with the lack of representation, yes, gods I would love to play as Roy or Ike or Nephenee or if by some long shot Midia got in. But at the same time despite my personal preferences about characters, I still play the game (in this case buying it) a prime example being Smash Bros. No-one in my top 10 got into the game (though I did jokingly guess Corrin and Bayonetta months before they were revealed) but I still play it as it's a fun game that brought me and my friends together, it got me into Zelda and Fire Emblem among other series. Fire Emblem since has gotten me into other series (mostly series featured in the Project X Zone games), and that was a small crossover between Fire Emblem (2 playable characters and 1 npc plus 2 maps) and so many other series. Also since smash did get me into Zelda, I played Hyrule Warriors (legends). Which was my first warriors game, and it won me over. Let me say Hyrule Warriors did a similar thing with it's base game (but with a smaller roster) as it only had Ocarina of Time (equivalent to Shadow Dragon in this case) Twilight Princess (equivalent to Awakening) and Skyward Sword (equivalent to Fates) and got support for a long time and even had a re-release with much new content. The only games to not really be represented is Minish Cap, Breath of the Wild (since it came out after legends dlc season and would probably be the Echoes equivalent) and maybe the four sword games/triforce heroes. Point is, they start small,and expand to include most of the games possibly being repped. Beyond all that, I got it as it was a game where I play as Link and mowed down enemies, I didn't care about roster reveals and whatnot. This game I do care some about the roster reveals, but ultimately I'm here to wipe the floor with grunts bodies as a Fire Emblem character, would I like better representation yes, will I still play it and be satisfied, yes, because it's meant to be a fun game and I choose to support my favorite series no matter what, it's your choice, but does having a specific character in make or break the game? I'm confident more characters will get added either as dlc or free updates (hyrule warriors did both), and ultimately, the concept of this game should be the buying point, not the details like specific characters or mechanics. Also let me say I'm happy Awakening was included in the game, but if it had been replaced with Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn, I would still buy it, because I enjoy the series as a whole, not in parts, but as a whole, this series has a lot of history that would be nearly impossible to include in one game no matter how long it's been in development, and those games have their fans and they deserve a spot in this game, it'll happen eventually just the hate over being genuinely excited or dissapointed in this game is why the Fire Emblem community is known for being so terrible. Everyone has an opinion, but respecting and thinking logically over another's opinion is what brings a fandom together and will truly make a serene forest.

Edit: Also the PR for this game has been a disaster, it's been established.

Edited by LucarioGamer812

43 minutes ago, Pokechu said:

Your comment isn't much better. Let's look at the roster we have now. Chrom. Lucina, Lissa, Robin, Frederick, Cordelia, 10 Fates royals, am I missing someone? I don't think so. oh yeah my bad just Marth. Marth was our second FE character to be revealed for this game (after Chrom) and yet we still don't have anyone else from SD.

Even though I joined FE with Awakening and Fates, I have to agree with him. He doesn't mean damaged as in "lol wow these games SUCK" but rather FE has taken a different direction, for better or worse. Awakening and Fates did really good and that's amazing, but they're everywhere. It's really tiresome if you're a fan of the older games because they aren't thrown any bones at all. Everything is all about Awakening and Fates, while the older games are just forgotten about. With games like this where there's a limited roster, it makes the most sense to choose Awakening and Fates as two of the three games represented. The most popular, the newest. But don't treat the third one like garbage. We're 25 days away from release and Marth is still our only SD character. When they revealed Tiki's amiibo at E3, they could have revealed her then, it was the perfect opportunity. But instead we have to wait months and months to see if she's actually in. We have to wait until the last month to see more than Marth for Shadow Dragon.

At this point I won't be surprised if SD only has 6 characters while Awakening and Fates are hitting the double digits.

I haven't said that Koei or Nintendo have done a good job with advertising this game (as of now they should have showed everyone except one or two characters), neither I have said that I like the roster choices or their attacks. I though, expected this to happen since it was announced, as they said that the number of characters wouldn't be even, the number of playable characters would be relatively small, and the weapons shown in the teaser, but this doesn't mean that I'm happy with it, in fact SD was my first FE, so it's kind of special even if it isn't my favourite.

I doubt though, that he was talking about SD as even if the number of characters is going to be small, the game is still in. It was the already old complain about not having GBA/Tellius characters. I'm not telling anyone to not complain about the game, but there is alot of difference between constructive and destructive criticism, and using the term "damaged" and the "saltiness" of his last sentence, it's pretty clear which is it.

Also, "awakening and fates are everywhere", where is everywhere exactly? I mean, can think of smash and heroes, but if they gave older characters a summer version, for example, I can see them complaying about turning them into waifu .

4 hours ago, phineas81707 said:

The fact that 'saddened by the three game thing, but looking for a good game despite that' has been thoroughly debunked and dismissed saddens me. I'm still holding out...

Who am I kidding, there's no way I can justify getting it anyway. Why am I hoping it's good?

Sorry, I didn't mean to forget about that group. I somewhat fall in that category too.

Because of the chance of Xane please obviously.

1 hour ago, LucarioGamer812 said:

Also the PR for this game has been a disaster, it's been established.

Sorry about double-posting, but I have to agree. I feel like the issues fans bring up could mostly have been avoided.

I type a post on the sub talking about how I prefer SF but appreciate how far that community has come, and then this happens.

13 hours ago, Iridium said:

Nothing productive comes from complaining about the game anymore; everything reasonable that can be said has already been said. Calling everybody who is still hyped for the game and who doesn't share your opinions sick is taking things way too fucking far.

What does make me sick is the cynicism and passive aggressiveness on display in this post. The amount of spin on display is ludicrous.

4 hours ago, phineas81707 said:

How has it been "thoroughly debunked"? Besides the roster complaints, things have been pretty positive. Hands-on impressions have said it's just as good as, if not better than, Hyrule Warriors. It looks like it's going to be a treat for anybody who enjoys the Musou series, with the FE-inspired additions and little spins adding depth.

It will be a good game; people who were determined to not like it from the start will always find reasons to hate it.

Edited by The DanMan

8 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

I type a post on the sub talking about how I prefer SF but appreciate how far that community has come, and then this happens.

Nothing productive comes from complaining about the game anymore. Calling everybody who is still hyped for the game and who doesn't share your opinions sick is taking things way too fucking far.

What does make me sick is the cynicism and passive aggressiveness on display in this post. The amount of spin on display is ludicrous.

By the Hammer of Harmon... I can't blame you for being furious. Seeing crap on the level of the post you quoted does nothing but remind me why I hate the Fire Emblem fandom and think it's one of the worst fanbases ever (hell, I dare say it's even worse than the Sonic fandom!), and am ashamed to be part of it.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

1 minute ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Seeing crap on the level of the post you quoted does nothing but remind me why I hate the Fire Emblem fandom and think it's one if the worst ever (hell, I dare say it's even worse than the Sonic fandom!), and am ashamed to be part of it.

99% of the time, SF is just fine. The subreddit has even come a ways the past year or so.

Hating fandoms because of a vocal minority is taking things too far. For instance: yeah, the Smash fandom has its sucky parts, but there are tons more who just enjoy the game and love discussing it with others. From the outside the Halo fandom is a complete hellhole, but if you dig around there's plenty who still enjoy the games and/or want to discuss the series' lore.

If you're semi-active on SF, you can't really say you hate the FE fandom-- since you're participating in it and such.

I wonder if people would be happier if the reveals had been more evenly distributed. Rather then showing whole batches of characters from the same game it might have been better to mix characters from different games into one trailer. Introducing characters in trailers and reveal with the theme of their game sounds logical but it seems to just have made people worried. I don't think it was Koei's intention to have people assume Marth and Tiki would be the only characters from their game but that's what happening.   

Rather then having a trailer for just team Chrom they could have done a loli trailer where Lissa meets Elise and Tiki, a flyer trailer where Camilla, Cordelia, Hinoka and the flyer from SD are shown or showing Frederik wandering into some characters from the other games. 

Its possible that Shadow Dragon just hasn't gotten it turn yet but because the game is getting its turn so late and with the warning the characters weren't evenly distributed Shadow dragon fans are getting understandably nervous. If they sprinkled more characters into earlier trailers they would have less reason to be.

If they had done that, people would have just complained about the game being Waifu Warriors. People are going to complain regardless of what they do, so they might as well just take the path of least resistance and do it by game. 

I suppose I owe the reason to people who complain about the complaints, but it's just a point of view and one that many share is not only mine. in order to love or hate the game or its team of characters time will tell if the decisions of the developers were correct, 

THAT'S.  ENOUGH.  Both sides.

5 hours ago, Crubat said:

I think you guys should stop arguing, it's useless, nothing will come out of this except hate. None of you are to blame for this except for Int Sys, they handled this game poorly and honestly, I say they should've waited another year to release this game cause between remaking gaiden and heroes, I'm pretty sure the newer fans are a lot more familiar with old characters than ever before. So stop, it's not healthy for this fandom and community.

Read this, and take it to heart.  Yes, there will be some people who will be unhappy with the game.  There will be some that think the game is the best thing since sliced bread.  And both opinions are perfectly valid, as long as they're RESPECTFUL and TOLERANT about it.

The next time I come back here, it had better be because of something about the topic, not because someone hit the Report button.

...But yeah Elise looks great, both render and move-set wise. I like how it seems that she's using the staves from Heroes, very nice touch. The hearts, too. It's just...so her.

I'm really looking forward to this game, literally every character looks fun to play as, even those who I'm not particularly fond of. GameXplain uploaded some more gameplay footage, and again, Xander's horse is a thing of beauty.

I have a question though...where's all the Marth footage? I don't think I've seen any of him since the first videos of footage came out a couple of months ago.

4 minutes ago, Lau said:

I have a question though...where's all the Marth footage? I don't think I've seen any of him since the first videos of footage came out a couple of months ago.

He hasn't been available in the demos, thats why.

18 minutes ago, Lau said:

...But yeah Elise looks great, both render and move-set wise. I like how it seems that she's using the staves from Heroes, very nice touch. The hearts, too. It's just...so her.

I'm really looking forward to this game, literally every character looks fun to play as, even those who I'm not particularly fond of. GameXplain uploaded some more gameplay footage, and again, Xander's horse is a thing of beauty.

Probably waiting for an official Shadow Dragon trailer before he's playable in any demos.That's what I think at least.