Axel's Team Building Guide

AxelTheWhirlwind

Do you ever have trouble making teams and getting good units?
INTRODUCING...

Axel's Team Building Guide!

Basically, this guide will go through the steps to build a good team for your next playthrough. I'm going to go through how many units to have, good class diversity, etc.

Anyways, here we go!

Part 1: Amount of Units

There's nothing more annoying than going through a game and realizing that you have to leave behind a unit you put hours into training for the final chapter. Always remember that the golden number is 12. If you don't know how many units you want, then just get 12. Not too many that you will have to leave one behind, or that they will fall behind in experience, and not too few that you can't handle the last few chapters. Personally, I recommend choosing the unit cap for the endgame. That way, you can have plentiful units and still be able to bring them all in. Which is probably why I don't like FE7 as much as the others, I hate those 5 must-brings. 

Part 2: Classes

Alright, this part is where things start to change with the different class pools in the games, so I'll try to be as general as I can. Try not to have too many units of 1 weapon type. That will make you have a large disadvantage against a kind of weapon. Don't have too much of 1 kind of unit, or it will be hard to handle counters. Really, just pick what you feel compliments your team the best.

Part 3: WHOMST

Now that you know which classes and the amount of units you want, you need to decide who will fit those classes. This is the meat of any team building session. You have several factors to consider: When you get them, their growths, their classes, and (In the more recent games) their skill pools. Make sure that you don't get most of your units at the end of the game, as that will make the early a lot more difficult than it should be. Some units are just great all around, coming at an early, or at least not late part of the game, having great growths, a useful class, and great skills. Examples would be Miledy from FE6, Raven from 7, and the Avatar and Morgan from Awakening. Also, be careful if you have an Est character. They come late and start weak, but get incredibly powerful if you train them.

I hope you all enjoyed my first guide. and I hope that it was helpful as well!

Edited by AxelTheWhirlwind

How about "use units that you feel complement your team", because the Archanean Air Force does wonders in FE11, and horses do a lot of work in Jugdral (FE4 specifically)/Elibe/Magvel/Tellius.

11 minutes ago, eclipse said:

How about "use units that you feel complement your team", because the Archanean Air Force does wonders in FE11, and horses do a lot of work in Jugdral (FE4 specifically)/Elibe/Magvel/Tellius.

Alright! I forgot about stuff like that, but I changed it now.

like eclipse wrote, you could flesh it out into a full-on guide by providing 1 or 2 lines specific to each game

expanding on Part 2 i personally enjoy having 1 of each "default" class when choosing a character / building a team, as in the class that character starts with. for games where class change is available that matters less than picking a character based on raw stats and growths, then choosing a class for that unit which will complement that characters stats

weapon ratio also differs per game on a map by map basis. imo, fully promoted teams should have units that are able to access multiple weapon types. as an example of looking at FE generally, sword users excel in the first few story arcs, with axe and lance users coming into play in key maps later on. a horsebacc unit with early entry and access to swords + lances has the potential to contribute to 2/3rds or more of your game

air, horseback, ranged, thieves, magic / stave users / healers etc. may also require a special mention if we're speaking on critical components to a well rounded team

it's your guide, but the word team implies working together; if you have any insights on the necessity of utilizing supports / pairings / leadership auras when building a team, a section dedicated to that subject would probably be much appreciated

9 hours ago, AxelTheWhirlwind said:

Part 1: Amount of Units

There's nothing more annoying than going through a game and realizing that you have to leave behind a unit you put hours into training for the final chapter. Always remember that the golden number is 12. If you don't know how many units you want, then just get 12. Not too many that you will have to leave one behind, or that they will fall behind in experience, and not too few that you can't handle the last few chapters. Personally, I recommend choosing the unit cap for the endgame. That way, you can have plentiful units and still be able to bring them all in. Which is probably why I don't like FE7 as much as the others, I hate those 5 must-brings. 

Actually, if a unit's contributed massively at a certain part of the game, there's no problem in dropping them for the final chapter. There'll also be several chapters in games where you'll be short on deploy slots, like much of HHM, or where you'll end up with empty slots for filler units like in FE5. Twelve is a rather arbitrary number, and in FE13, sometimes deploying fewer units is beneficial. I think the only thing you can take away is to try and avoiding spreading XP too thinly. Even in final chapters, you'll usually have a few units who don't actually do anything. 

Part 2: Classes

Alright, this part is where things start to change with the different class pools in the games, so I'll try to be as general as I can. Try not to have too many units of 1 weapon type. That will make you have a large disadvantage against a kind of weapon. Don't have too much of 1 kind of unit, or it will be hard to handle counters. Really, just pick what you feel compliments your team the best.

Most FE titles have early games full of axes, and then lances for the remainder. As eclipse has said, FE4 is horse emblem and FE11/12 are flier emblem. Axe users tend to be rather poor in FE6, so there's no real harm in just letting your paladins take over. FE5 has a relative deficit in swords to steal and mounts are mostly forced to use swords indoors, you don't really want too many mono-sword users. Not that it matters, the weapon triangle doesn't matter that much there!

Part 3: WHOMST

Now that you know which classes and the amount of units you want, you need to decide who will fit those classes. This is the meat of any team building session. You have several factors to consider: When you get them, their growths, their classes, and (In the more recent games) their skill pools. Make sure that you don't get most of your units at the end of the game, as that will make the early a lot more difficult than it should be. Some units are just great all around, coming at an early, or at least not late part of the game, having great growths, a useful class, and great skills. Examples would be Miledy from FE6, Raven from 7, and the Avatar and Morgan from Awakening. Also, be careful if you have an Est character. They come late and start weak, but get incredibly powerful if you train them.

Bases generally matter more than growths in the earlier titles, and there's no problem in dropping units for ones that come later. There's a real misconception that investing in a unit early means that you're obligated to use them for the rest of the game. Alan and Lance are both pretty decent in FE6, but Percival generally trumps them both. It's possible to use all three, but letting one of them go is very much allowed. Est characters are generally not worth it, mostly because they come late and by then everyone else functions pretty well. 

I can see what you've tried to do, and you've meant well, but it seems to boil down to "pick the good units".