Begnion's Inspiration?

Køkø

A question that's been on my mind lately. I couldn't find anything on it, maybe someone else here knows? Is it completely made up? I also couldn't figure out if there's a real life counterpart for it either. Do any other Tellian countries have real life counterparts? I know Crimea and Gallia exist, but the in game culture isn't based off of them. Feel free to discuss. 

Begnion's name is derived from Babylon I believe- though not its cultural appearances. Phoenicis is derived from Phoenicia- a series of city-states of ancient history (now in modern day Lebanon). The Phoenician city-states which shared a culture and language (though they did fight amongst each other and against foreign powers) and formed the world's first great maritime empire of trade in the Mediterranean Sea. I doubt Tibarn looks remotely like an actual Phoenician.

As for what Begnion would be, its having of a Senate and an Empress is clearly derived from Imperial Rome. Style-wise, things don't match perfectly, so I'd think Begnion also has some Holy Roman Empire influence (not to be confused with the Roman Empire of antiquity)- but I'm not totally sure on that.

I always thought of Begnion as a bit of a cross between the ancient regime of France and the Papal states. 

Its the cultural and religious heartland of the continent, its a theocracy and all power rests with the nobles. Names like Siene and Culbert also have a distinctly French ring to them.

I heard a lot of people also see WWII analogies in Tellius with the obviously racist and conquering Daien, Crimea resembling French and the low countries, neutral Gallia America and Begnion being either Britain or Russia. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor