Fire Emblem - The Blazing Stones [Beta 2 now available]

TheLem

This is my first serious ROM hack that isn't me deciding on one thing and working on it for 5 minutes and getting bored. The aim of this ROM Hack is to swap the characters in Fire Emblem - The Sacred Stones with the characters from Fire Emblem - The Blazing Blade (hence the name) I haven't made much progress but I have made decisions for who most of the characters will be swapped with. I plan on finishing this before I start university on the 18th. 

Here is a link to the spreadsheet in which you can see who I'm swapping with who, as well as the progress that I'm making. Any feedback would be helpful.

Beta 2 can be downloaded here. The patch should be applied to US version of Fire Emblem - The Sacred Stones. The full name of my rom is 1997 - Fire Emblem - The Sacred Stones (U)(TrashMan)

All that I have left to do is add the movement sprites for the main characters and myrrh. Everything else is complete.

Eliwood promotes into a Paladin or a Hero as I don't know how to add full custom classes. He promotes with a Knights Crest or a Hero Crest.

Spoiler

59b436ed0d6db_Screenshot(36).png.f682a14f3e5a6adc28db46d130317604.png59aebae97ea5c_Screenshot(27).thumb.png.2d07c6d5b0168a071432b371ea432139.png59aebaef193f3_Screenshot(28).thumb.png.796f8f7d5a493358c9bfa1d7c881be28.png59aebaf4bbd15_Screenshot(29).thumb.png.63cfc686e0fac6783e3f8956488db473.png59aebafa38e1e_Screenshot(30).thumb.png.f3441cd436ffd1dcb5fee9fe25c7020a.png59aebb00c2f0a_Screenshot(31).thumb.png.3f45ce5c6f10018134096e231553e848.png59aebadf23565_Screenshot(33).thumb.png.6d3198b13498583f2491f5edea11c27b.png59aebb070931c_Screenshot(32).thumb.png.e2ab97ef794b5ed0cd357c16a4c13895.png59aebae3bdfbf_Screenshot(34).thumb.png.65a4d49679e4796a9af9c9ab1e1aa870.png

Edited by TheLem
Update

17 hours ago, Yetiplays said:

You put that you have no idea for Myrrh, so maybe she could be replaced by Fae from FE6, because she technically appears in FE7 as a cameo.

That's a possibility, however, I would prefer to have a main character from FE7 so that I have to put less of them in the creature Campaign.

7 hours ago, DrewHak said:

Why is there no Eliwood? Also I would recommend editing the portraits so they have FE8 colors. It would make it look much better. Just a thought.

I didn't realise that I hadn't put him in there. I'm not sure on who to replace with Eliwood. 

I don't think that I would be able to edit the portraits to make them look better. I don't have much experience with things like that.

This is a cool concept. Are you planning to take balance into account or will growths/bases be the same as in FE7?

Also, I´m currently recolouring FE6 and FE7 in FE8´s style and this seems to be the perfect hack for it. The problem is I decided to go with FE6 first and it takes a lot of time, but FE7 will be done eventually. When it gets done and if you like it I´ll gladly share it with you (it will be available on the forums anyway).

21 hours ago, Capibarainspace said:

This is a cool concept. Are you planning to take balance into account or will growths/bases be the same as in FE7?

Also, I´m currently recolouring FE6 and FE7 in FE8´s style and this seems to be the perfect hack for it. The problem is I decided to go with FE6 first and it takes a lot of time, but FE7 will be done eventually. When it gets done and if you like it I´ll gladly share it with you (it will be available on the forums anyway).

I haven't thought about balance as of yet and I'm considering releasing a version where I just replace units. E.g. Swapping Inness with level 2 Wil, and also a version where I try my best to balance it. I've barely done any playtesting yet (Up to chapter 2) so I may have to make changes when I play through it so that everyone is recruitable and the game is beatable. 

I'll happily use the sprites when you finish them, thanks. :^_^:

21 hours ago, KKAfterbrun said:

O.k. Glancing over the list I have three swaps.

Wallace with Fado (Both Generals)

Rath with Hayden (Nomad Trooper/Ranger)

Geitz with Orson or Valter?

I like these changes however most of my experience with hacking is in nightmare. I'll need to learn how to add new sprites to the game and add them to the CC characters without just replacing them as this would mean that characters in the story get replaced. Although thinking about it, Queen Karel of Jehanna, Mother of Guy sounds pretty good to me.

• 1 month later...
On 9/5/2017 at 5:38 AM, TheLem said:

I don't think that I would be able to edit the portraits to make them look better. I don't have much experience with things like that.

This is easy enough: Take the FE8 portraits and the FE7 portraits you used. Edit the FE7 characters' color-schemes with the colors from FE8 (Use Joshua's hair on Eliwood)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/28/2017 at 7:23 PM, Michelaar said:

I just watched the video of the blazing stones, and it looks a bit... Vanilla? Maybe that's the point. Anyway, I find Melissa's laugh infectious and I love it.

It was intentionally pretty vanilla. I didn't have much experience with hacking at the time and I just wanted to get comfortable with programs other than nightmare. I was also running on a 2 week deadline so that I had it finished before I started University.

• 1 month later...
On 9/5/2017 at 2:38 AM, TheLem said:

That's a possibility, however, I would prefer to have a main character from FE7 so that I have to put less of them in the creature Campaign.

I didn't realise that I hadn't put him in there. I'm not sure on who to replace with Eliwood. 

I know this was posted a while ago, so you may have come up with a solution already, but on the topic of Myrrh, could you use Ninian, and make Nils replace Tethys? Or vice-versa. Making a sprite for an ice-dragon might be tricky, but doable.

Looks fun though, I'll give it a try, probably on your next update. 

• 3 months later...