Is this game growth rates really awful or I'm missing something?

Arn

SD has generally pretty low growth rates. Most characters only have good growths(Above 40%) in one or two stats, depending on their class. Quite a few don't even get that.

Edited by Slumber

That's normal.  But if you pay attention to enemy stats, you'll find that you can work around it (after the hell that is the first three chapters).  It's possible to do a 0% growth run of H5, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

4 hours ago, Arn said:

I'm playing on H5 and l'm not even bothering with level ups, I'm on chapter 5, had people getting 2~3 levels already and I only get 1~2 points on stats I don't even want.

4 hours ago, Arn said:

I forgot to mention that the cleric we get on CH3 leveled 2 times and didn't got any points.

Why are you playing on H5?

All of the healers have garbage growths. And everyone in the game aside from Wolf and Sedgar have much lower growths than you might be used to. Wolf and Sedgar have insanely high growths but they are promoted which balances them out a bit.

SD has a mechanic known as "dynamic growths". Every time a character fails to gain a stats their growth rate goes up. When they get that stat it goes down 1 stage, and never lower than the base growth rate.

This basically makes it so you will get much better level ups later on, and extremely low growths are effectively made much higher in reality.

5 hours ago, Arn said:

I only play games on highest difficult available unless there are NG+ content.

If you somehow get through this run of SD, do me a huge favor and DO NOT DO THIS FOR NEW MYSTERY!

12 hours ago, Arn said:

We will see. :P

CH6 is giving me a bit of trouble here, I don't want to use any of my pre-promoted classes but It's hard even turtling it.

What the--

The prepromotes are there for a reason.  If you're worried about breaking the game, avoid Wolf/Sedgar.  But everyone else has stuff they can do, whether it be Jagen's ability to fly and tank, Wendell's stupid-high speed for no apparent reason, or some upcoming units who have their own interesting properties.

Chapter 6 has no forts, so you'll have to rely on staves for healing.  I'd bring every last character who can use a staff.  Wendell gets a mention here because he also pings resistance, which will be low for everyone for the entire game.  Don't fret about the Killing Edge, it's far more effort than it's worth.

Wait until you reclass Wendell to Swordmaster.  Or Navarre to Cavalier. :P:

Which reminds me, Gordin makes a passable Curate, should you need the extra staffbot.  If you really need to ping things from a distance, one of Abel/Cain can pull it off.

• 1 month later...

late but whatever

basically, both base stats and growth rates are derived by adding together two distinct values: base and personal/absolute. The only exception is luck which is not affected by classes.

for example, the base stats of Barst are as follows:

absolute base stats: 4 HP | 5 STR | 0 MAG | 5 SKL | 2 SPD | 5 LCK | 3 DEF | 0 RES
absolute base growths: 0% HP | 0% STR | 0% MAG | 25% SKL | 20% SPD | 40% LCK | 15% DEF | 0% RES
(those values can be negative btw.)

This is then added to the stats/growths of the corresponding class - which defaults to fighter in his case:

class stats: 20 HP | 5 STR | 0 MAG | 1 SKL | 7 SPD | (0 LCK) | 3 DEF | 0 RES
class growths: 80% HP | 40% STR | -20% MAG | 15% SKL | 10% SPD | (0% LCK) | 0% DEF | -15% RES

This results in his actual base stats and growth rates (If the result is below 0 it is set to 0 instead):

base stats: 24 HP | 10 STR | 0 MAG | 6 SKL | 9 SPD | 5 LCK | 6 DEF | 0 RES
growths: 80% HP | 40% STR | 0% MAG | 40% SKL | 30% SPD | 40% LCK | 15% DEF | 0% RES

Now, when class changing the game simply calculates the characters stats and growths with the new class replacing the old one. If a value would exceed the cap for this stat it is instead set to the cap (but the actual value is memorized).

Weapon level is calculated pretty much the same way as base stats are. The character's individual weapon exp. is added to the class base weapon experience (0 for 1st tier classes, 35 if they start with a D rank and 75 if they start with a C rank).

Also, there is a third value for growths depending on how well a character's levelups have been so far but for the sake of simplicity I will ignore those dynamic growths.

Edited by Caedes

It is worth noting that the explanation above misses dynamic growths. They are slight adjustments to growths made when you level up and a stat is not proced. they are tiny, but they can result in things like someone gaining a stat on a 0% growth, if you have previously leveled up as a class for which the growth was nonzero. They also have the effect of making average stats slightly higher than they look like from just the percentage growth rates. Full explanation here: https://serenesforest.net/shadow-dragon/characters/growth-rates/dynamic/

Edited by sirmola

On 07/09/2017 at 2:16 PM, Arn said:

Anyone have an in-depth explanation about the reclassing mechanics? Because I don't understand it at all.

From what I recall, the basic is you can have 1 extra of a unit type, the actual stat distribution and such seems to just be an average on current totals been placed around.