Favorite Starting Band of Characters

Favorite Starting Band of Characters  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Starting Group?

• The Original 7 (everyone who joins in FE1/11 C1)
    • The Villagers of Ram
    • The Quartet of Novis (plus Saber and Nomah)
    • The Knights of Chalphy (and everyone else who joins in the Prologue)
    • The Fiana Freeblades (C1 recruits plus Nanna and Marita)
    • The Knights of Pherae
    • Lyndis's Legion
    • The Original Knights of Pherae (plus the Hector quartet)
    • Everyone who joins in SS up to C8
    • The Greil Mercenaries
    • The Dawn Brigade
    • The Altean 7th Platoon (almost forgot them)
    • The Shepherds (including the honorary member Virion!)
    • The- does Fates have any? (The mandatory Fates option)
    • The whatever Heroes has (the Heroes option)

Getting off to a good start is always a good thing. So of FE starting bands of characters, those who join in the early chapters and (hopefully) have group dynamics, which is your favorite? (Personality/charm and gameplay alike can be ignored or used as criteria.)

How large is the starting group? Well for FEs 3, 5, 9, and 13 it's really easy to tell since the groups have proper names. But for other games it's blurrier. You could include Wrys, Ogma and the axe bros into FE1's starting group, but I don't see Darros, Castor, Matthis, Julian and Lena really fitting in, but I want to include Merric too. So for blurry situations- I'd draw the line at C4 for FE1 (because Hardin's Wolfguard in C5 is clearly separate from Marth's force), C7 for FE6 (because Zelot's band is very much separate from Roy's). I guess Silque could be slipped into the Villagers of Ram (and Lukas is a part of it), but I draw the line at Clair b/c she is certainly Deliverance.

For myself, it has to be the Greil Mercenaries- the early chapters of PoR really hammer home the group dynamism, and they have the luck of RD to keep it going. The departures and later re-recruitments of Gatrie and Shinon, plus Titania's exchanges with Soren and the two Triangle Attack convos with the brothers offer little reminders of the close-knit GMs later into PoR.

Chose the Ram villagers; Lukas is my hands-down favorite FE character and the others are entertaining enough (minus Faye but that's OT). Keep in mind that I have only played FE 8 and 13-15 (though only CQ for 14).

I would say the Ram Villagers because unlike most of the other starting bands, they are supporting characters for all of Alm's Journey. Not only that, they are some of the best units, given the right class.

Second would be the Greil Mercenaries for giving the first couple maps of PoR a strong start.

I went with FE6's, but only for Roy and Wolt both being included in it.  

Tbh they're all hit and indifference (with one case of a character I outright dislike in FE9) so judging as a group is tough for me.  Even in FE6, I am more or less indifferent to Marcus, Allen, Lance, and Bors.

I went with the shepherds, as besides being nostalgic to me the most, the one I am most equivalent to is Stahl (both in appearance, personality, and I wouldn't mind being a cavalier in Fire Emblem) Though let me say the Greil Mercs are certainly excellent and the Ram villagers are as well, plus never enough sacred stones love, otherwise any of those would have been my next pick.

I went with Fiana Freeblades. Because 4 Axe users = most testosterone. 

If I went charather wise I'd go Ram in a heartbeat. SoV doesn't have a good plot but it definitely has good charathers, especially the starting greek chorus guys.

Edited by Reality

I think the Shepherds win this in the end for me. The Greil Mercenaries are very likeable as well, but Gatrie brings them down far too much for me to even consider a draw.

Edited by Thane

17 hours ago, Florete said:

Fates is, uh...Corrin. And Jakob/Felicia.

I like to wager the Fates group to be pretty much any and everyone that's both shared between paths and usable early. For that, I'd say it'd be Corrin, Felicia/Jakob, Gunther, Kaze & Silas. Basically, all of Corrin's retainers, minus Flora

*Ahem* Knights of Altea for me. Ram Villagers come close though

I voted for the Greil mercenaries, my reason being that I really got attached to all of them when they were forced to flee from their home after Greil's death. There are other groups that go through comparable endevours (The Altean knights, Eirikas group among others), but the Greil merceneries as a group appeal to me the most.

I voted for the Greil Mercenaries. The group has a lot of variety when you get them without a disproportionate number of mounted units. All the Greil Mercenaries either start off good, or become good, and most are good from the moment you get them. Also, story wise, we see just how close they all are; we even see Greil refer to them all as family. Also, when the game starts off, they're just mercenaries; clearing villages of bandits. Then comes Elincia and... they're still mercenaries; they're just now working for the princess. And that perception they have as mercenaries, and the perception others have of them because they're mercenaries, stays there throughout the game, and I like that it has such an impact. By the end of the Gangrel storyline, the Shepherds don't really exist as a group anymore. By the end of part 1 of Radiant Dawn, the Dawn Brigade has all but been absorbed into the Daein rebellion, and the original members pretty much stop referring to themselves as the dawn brigade. With the Greil Mercenaries, Greil Mercenaries they were, and Greil Mercenaries they continue to be throughout both games. And it isn't just a name-drop; it affects how they are perceived by others throughout the games.

I went for the Greil Mercenaries as well. I greatly dislike Shinon, but I still have to admit that he's pretty good at being unlikeable. In general, they just feel more like a real group than most other starting teams, even though the 7th Platoon isn't too shabby in that regard, either. ;) The Ram villagers seem pretty cool, too, but since I haven't played Echoes myself, I didn't really take them into consideration.

The Greil Mercs, no contest! Ike is my fav FE character and pretty much all his mercenaries are well written and enjoyable! The three brothers are my favorite siblings in the series, Titania is a cool Jagen character, Shinon is favorite archer in the series, and so on. Mist is also my favorite little sister after Elise.

The Greil Mercenaries, no contest. With the family dynamic (both literally and figuratively) they has going, it's hard not to get attached to the whole group. Runner ups include the Ram Villagers, Lyndis's Legion, and the Shepherds. Also, while I've played very little of FE12, I'll give a special mention to the Altean 7th Platoon (though not a runner up since I haven't played past the prologue).

Dawn Brigade because it's the party with the most challenging chapters in FE10.
The members seem to be overshadowed by the GM's simply because they won't reach the level of their pendants. However the DB represents some classes which are equal to the GM member or even better (Nolan > Boyd).

The Fiana Freeblades are a very close second, but my favorite has to be the 7th Platoon. Seeing these fresh characters train with some of the people from the previous game was a great way to introduce them, and everyone gets a bit more development and lore out of it. Not to mention, it sets up the new side plot for the rest of the game pretty nicely. And I just like the characters, with my favorite cavalry trio (mathematically superior to any mere duo), a cool if somewhat cliché story character, and... Ryan. Alright, maybe I don't care for all of them, but most of them are great.

Edited by DefaultBeep