Best name for Fateslandia?

Alistair

We all know that one of the more frustrating things about Fates is its lack of worldbuilding, and one example is that they didn't name the continent it takes place on. So, I was wondering what everybody's ideal name for the continent is. Personally, though I can't quite remember when I first heard it, I've always been partial to Moirai, the Greek word for "Fates" (as in the mythological figures who determined the lifespan of mortals). Little on the nose? Yes, but I think it fits, especially with Valla'so Greek naming style (Arete, Cadros, Anankos, etc). Apologies if a similar thread already covered the topic.

There's technically three countries, so Moirai fits nicely.  Though given its reception, I think Erinyes would also work, but be. . .uh, less tasteful (and what do you mean some chick in FE4 has that name?).

4 hours ago, eclipse said:

There's technically three countries, so Moirai fits nicely.  Though given its reception, I think Erinyes would also work, but be. . .uh, less tasteful (and what do you mean some chick in FE4 has that name?).

Her name is Erinys, no second 'e'. Fates has stolen names from FE4 more blatantly.

Speaking of things Fates steals from FE4, one of the three 'Moirai' is called Lachesis. And you thought Awakening was supposed to be the one packed with references.

Considering "Valla" (Touma) had originally more referance and connections to Indian and Chinese mythologies (which "had" to be changed to greek ones since westerners might go into shock when confronted by non-european mytholgies), I'd say "Karman" or something similar would be more fitting when going in that direction. Also a bit on the nose but it's something.

The continent doesn't have a name because it's technically two continents named "Nohr" and "Hoshido". Early Nohrians and Hoshidans named their part of the continent after their respective dominant kingdom (Archanea, Ylisse and Valm also did this), and due to the Bottomless Canyon, they didn't become aware of the other side until after these names were defined and in regular use*. Thus, they are still treated as two different continents despite being one landmass. It's probably why Nohr and Hoshido are separated in Cipher and most other media.

And I mean, you can make a better case for Nohr and Hoshido being separate continents than some other places I could mention.

*This is also why Nohr and Hoshido have very different cultures; cultures tend to become differentiated if there's a physical barrier preventing interaction between different groups of people.

10 hours ago, eclipse said:

...I don't get the allusion with Erinyes... should I look this up?

5 hours ago, Nanima said:

Considering "Valla" (Touma) had originally more referance and connections to Indian and Chinese mythologies (which "had" to be changed to greek ones since westerners might go into shock when confronted by non-european mytholgies), I'd say "Karman" or something similar would be more fitting when going in that direction. Also a bit on the nose but it's something.

Huh. Didn't know that. I guess Karman would also work.

11 hours ago, Alistair said:

...I don't get the allusion with Erinyes... should I look this up?

Erinyes - Furies, another trio of Greek female figures.  They are associated with suffering and the like.

• 2 weeks later...