What to do about Amelia?

So, I'm in the middle of playing Sacred Stones for the first time (technically the second since I'm replaying from scratch and left the game in limbo for so long at chapter 8) and chose to take Eirika's route. Having completed chapter 9 and luckily recruiting Amelia, I found out she was like Ross and could class change at level 10.

My problem is, what do I promote her to?  While another Cavalier could be good, I'd rather have her be a Knight since I only have Gilliam. Honestly I'm not sure, so I'm open to suggestions. Any help and pros/cons would be appreciated!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cavalier all the way. Unfortunately in this game Knights don't have anything going for them. Cavaliers have 7 movement and Knights have 4 and that's pretty much it as far as inherent differences between the classes go.

It's important to keep in mind that in this game one's class doesn't affect one's growths at all. Which means that the only stat difference comes from the promotion gains. Which would be sufficient in other games where the promotion gains are defined by the difference in base stats between the two classes. If that was the case Amelia would get a whooping 8 defense from her promotion to Knight. But that's not how things work here, so she only gets +2 defense. So promoting to Knight would not give Amelia a significant durability boost compared to the Cavalier. Most certainly not one that compensates for the crippling loss of mobility.

Edited by BrightBow

General all the way, she's the only other general you can get in the game, plus she'll end up wielding all 3 weapon types while being faster then Gilliam and possibly more res tanky. It's more work, but if you get her there she'll be a monster.

Edit: Boots can fix her movement so she'll be equivalent to any other infantry

Edited by LucarioGamer812

Cav -> Paladin because move is the only significant difference between the two.    As mentioned, her growths don't change.

Wearing armor is nothing but a detriment when there's like, one defense map in the entirety of FE8.

46 minutes ago, LucarioGamer812 said:

General all the way, she's the only other general you can get in the game, plus she'll end up wielding all 3 weapon types while being faster then Gilliam and possibly more res tanky. It's more work, but if you get her there she'll be a monster.

Edit: Boots can fix her movement so she'll be equivalent to any other infantry

And where can I find boots in Sacred Stones?

2 hours ago, The Unlikely Knight said:

And where can I find boots in Sacred Stones?

Boots, called Swiftsoles in SS for some odd reason, can be found in the Desert Chapter (Scorched Sands). The map of the hidden treasure is here. Beyond this one guaranteed pair, you can obtain more, but only at tiniest of chances from certain monsters. However, a trick exists for easy limitless Swiftsoles, but it does take a little time for each pair.

Knight->General trades in better stats (the most important ones being +2 Str / +4 Def / -1 Spd after her 2nd promotion, and she shouldn't really have problems doubling despite the slightly lower speed) in exchange for three movement points. If you're planning to do the postgame, there might be a point in going General, since some of the enemies in the postgame maps have actual stats, but for the maingame, I would recommend for the higher mobility (and if you're using Gilliam, I'd make him into a Great Knight despite the lower promotional gains).

I usually go for Knight -> General. You will get a speedy General and in SS, you always obliterate things anyway. Having more weapons also is not a bad idea thought it is overkill anyway.

As was already mentioned, I would also give her Boots for more mobility.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I think I'll go for the Knight -> General route and give her the Swiftsoles. If she's the only other one you can get besides Gilliam, I'd like to see how she turns out.

9 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Boots, called Swiftsoles in SS for some odd reason, can be found in the Desert Chapter (Scorched Sands). The map of the hidden treasure is here. Beyond this one guaranteed pair, you can obtain more, but only at tiniest of chances from certain monsters. However, a trick exists for easy limitless Swiftsoles, but it does take a little time for each pair.

Looking at that map (and hopefully I'm understanding the note right) I just have to take Colm with me as a Thief or Rogue and he'll be able to pick them up, right?

2 hours ago, The Unlikely Knight said:

Looking at that map (and hopefully I'm understanding the note right) I just have to take Colm with me as a Thief or Rogue and he'll be able to pick them up, right?

Yup, hidden treasure always works like that in FE- just end a unit's turn on one of the highlighted spaces (you don't have to select Wait- if there is an enemy or ally in range you can attack/heal them or whatever and still get the treasure). Thief-type units have a guaranteed chance of finding treasure in all games but RD (though they have like a minimum of 40% in that game- far above the rest still)- the chance for everyone else is smaller and the exact chance varies from game to game.

You can use Rennac too- he joins just in time for that chapter. Field both Thieves if you want to shave a few turns, or try having your non-Thief units with higher Luck stats find the treasure to help out as well when they have a spare moment.

I always do knight -> general and she is always great I just love the general battle animations in SS. On the desert chapter I always take both thieves so that I can get all the hidden items faster.

1 hour ago, Emperor Hardin said:

Bs_fe08_amelia_general_axe.pngBs_fe08_amelia_recruit_lance.png

You use Amelia for fun anyhow, so make her a General or a Super recruit.

Both are also good in the post game content. You can get endless boots there too.

Super Recruit isn't an option - the OP hasn't beaten the game yet - and even if he did, it's still inferior to her other options.

1 hour ago, Emperor Hardin said:

As said before, "You use Amelia for fun anyhow"

Doesn't change the fact that some classes are objectively inferior - just what do I get out of General or Super Recruit that would be able to compete with Paladin's high movement, and the ability to use two weapon types as a Cavalier??? Because as is, going through two tiers of 4 move lance-lock is very unappealing.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

27 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Doesn't change the fact that some classes are objectively inferior - just what do I get out of General or Super Recruit that would be able to compete with Paladin's high movement, and the ability to use two weapon types as a Cavalier??? Because as is, going through two tiers of 4 move lance-lock is very unappealing.

Amelia is not a high tier character to begin with.

Better caps, pavise, more unique unit, and a better performance in creature campaign which has infinite boots.

Edited by Emperor Hardin

7 minutes ago, Emperor Hardin said:

Amelia is not a high tier character to begin with.

Better caps, pavise, more unique unit, and a better performance in creature campaign which has infinite boots.

True that.

Better caps don't mean much for ingame, as you're likely not hitting them until near the end of your leveling anyway, Great Shield/Pavise isn't very reliable (the activation rate is dependent on your enemy's level, and this being SS, most of the time you'd see it kick in, it'd be on some cannon fodder that's hopelessly outmatched... IF they hit, that is), and Creature Campaign isn't really enough for them to not be inferior when all is said and done.

4 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

True that.

Better caps don't mean much for ingame, as you're likely not hitting them until near the end of your leveling anyway, Great Shield/Pavise isn't very reliable (the activation rate is dependent on your enemy's level, and this being SS, most of the time you'd see it kick in, it'd be on some cannon fodder that's hopelessly outmatched... IF they hit, that is), and Creature Campaign isn't really enough for them to not be inferior when all is said and done.

You are going to use those caps for the creature campaign. And if one is using Amelia, they are probably grinding anyway.

The enemy uses very high level unpromoted magic users late into the game pavise is perfect for them. 

6 minutes ago, Emperor Hardin said:

You are going to use those caps for the creature campaign. And if one is using Amelia, they are probably grinding anyway.

The enemy uses very high level unpromoted magic users late into the game pavise is perfect for them. 

It's true that they'd be grinding if they're using Amelia, but the Creature Campaign comment would only apply IF they're planning on playing it anyway.

You mean these guys??

Spoiler

Lvl 17 Mages: 27-29 HP, 11-12 Mag, 9-10 Skl, 10 Spd, 4 Lck, 4-5 Def, 8-10 Res

Elfire: 21-22 Atk, 105-107 Hit, 16 Avoid, 4-5 Crit, 6 AS

Lvl 14 Mogalls: 23-24 HP, 8-10 Mag, 6-7 Skl, 7 Spd, 5-6 Lck, 3-4 Def, 9 Res

Evil Eye: 15-17 Atk, 99-102 Hit, 15-16 Avoid, 3 Crit, 5 AS

Because neither of these are remotely scary enough to warrant banking on a 1-in-6 chance of negating them (the former are from chapter 17, the latter from chapter 20).

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

The only viable choice for Amelia is Paladin. If you go General, then you can probably immediately bench her as she won't see any combat at all due to 5 MOV. Yes, you can use the Boots, but why not use the Boots on a Paladin Amelia instead, giving her 10 MOV so she is more mobile. Mounted units get so much more out of 2 MOV, and don't even get me started on Canto.
And regarding Caps, you'll never hit them. Unless you grind A LOT after finishing the game. It doesn't matter that the General has 4 more STR, a few mor SKL and 5 more DEF.
Access to Axes can be usful, if your that desperate for Hand Axes.

Sure, variety can be fun and I personally like it too, but NOT if the alternatives to an amazing class (Paladin) are underwhelming (Great Knight) or downright awful (General).
I'd always say go Recruit>Cavalier>Paladin. 

On 9/6/2017 at 4:37 PM, Levant Mir Celestia said:

It's true that they'd be grinding if they're using Amelia, but the Creature Campaign comment would only apply IF they're planning on playing it anyway.

If they're already taking the time to stop and grind Amelia, they'll likely take the time to try out creature campaign based off my experience.