Boon Bane Display

tanuki

I'm hoping that the developers add a boon bane display to each character's page.   Something that would let the player know right away that a character is ATK+/RES- or whatever combination.   That would make merging and leveling up characters that much more pleasant.  Right now you can get that information from the web, but I just think it would be a time saving stat.   Also, my memory isn't that great anymore so yeah I forget who is what.   

8 minutes ago, SniperGYS said:

Like in Pokemon?? Showing the Ivs in red and blue in the stats screens?

That would be really nice.  Just something so you don't have to remember to record boons and banes before you level up a character.   For instance I was leveling up Tana and then I got a second TANA, but I didn't remember what the first Tana's boon was.  So I haven't merged them.   

You can pull up a web browser calculator on your phone without closing out Fire Emblem Heroes. But yeah, would be nice for them to cut out that step for us. In this recent update, they created a search function in the inherit skill menu for seeking out specific skills. And that's handy because I'll often forget who's got Luna, Quick Riposte, etc. It cuts out that extra step of me searching for who's got that skill online.

Seems like something that'll probably happen eventually, once they figure out a good way to sort out the aesthetics. Blue/red stats are already used for buffs and penalties, after all.

I'm hoping there's enough noise for IS to implement it (along with a stat re-rolling, but that's a pretty far-off dream).

Although I've gotten faster at it, it is annoying to calculate it yourself--and I am also very forgetful.

While Pokemon isn't a F2P game, if they can show it nicely, surely Heroes can as well.

6 hours ago, Othin said:

Seems like something that'll probably happen eventually, once they figure out a good way to sort out the aesthetics. Blue/red stats are already used for buffs and penalties, after all.

Light blue/light red would work. Or teal/pink, something like that. They could also bold applied buffs & debuffs.

6 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

You can pull up a web browser calculator on your phone without closing out Fire Emblem Heroes. But yeah, would be nice for them to cut out that step for us. In this recent update, they created a search function in the inherit skill menu for seeking out specific skills. And that's handy because I'll often forget who's got Luna, Quick Riposte, etc. It cuts out that extra step of me searching for who's got that skill online.

I actually can't do that. Any time I go to the main screen, Heroes has to reopen from the title screen. And even then, it's still juggling a few stats between the app and the calculator. Even at home with adesktop it's still just kind of a pain, and tedious, to do the calcualtions on every new unit or old units i forgot to note down.

8 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

That's about the most wrong use of "IVs" I've yet seen.

+1

But seriously, this is something that'd be really nice. As far as possible confusion with buffs/debuffs on stats goes, the solution is simple: highlight the stat names, rather than their values. I could see IntSys implementing this at some point.

12 hours ago, tanuki said:

I'm hoping that the developers add a boon bane display to each character's page.   Something that would let the player know right away that a character is ATK+/RES- or whatever combination.   That would make merging and leveling up characters that much more pleasant.  Right now you can get that information from the web, but I just think it would be a time saving stat.   Also, my memory isn't that great anymore so yeah I forget who is what.   

12 hours ago, SniperGYS said:

Like in Pokemon?? Showing the Ivs in red and blue in the stats screens?

Yup.

12 hours ago, tanuki said:

That would be really nice.  Just something so you don't have to remember to record boons and banes before you level up a character.   For instance I was leveling up Tana and then I got a second TANA, but I didn't remember what the first Tana's boon was.  So I haven't merged them.   

I agree. It would save time for sure. 

I'll add that to my list of improvements to mention when I write that letter to Nintendo/Intelligent Systems. 

8 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

That's about the most wrong use of "IVs" I've yet seen.

EVs, IVs, Nature... really not that many "Pokemon stat" terms to memorize, but I can see how some people might get them confused... if they aren't well versed in how stats work anyways.

Anyways, i could see them denoting on the units stat screen (where you go to view the characters artwork and skill list and tap them for voice lines and such) which stat is increased and which is decreased, but probably not from the little bit you see normally. I suppose any little tell would be appreciated though, even if it's just two little arrows pointing up or down depending on which is the boon and which is the bane.

Honestly, just name the natures, and give us those. If Pokemon can deal with remembering the difference between Timid and Jolly, we can work just fine with a system that condenses both into one (Timid is +Spd -Atk for physical units, Jolly is +Spd -Atk for magical ones).

18 hours ago, phineas81707 said:

Honestly, just name the natures, and give us those. If Pokemon can deal with remembering the difference between Timid and Jolly, we can work just fine with a system that condenses both into one (Timid is +Spd -Atk for physical units, Jolly is +Spd -Atk for magical ones).

How would natures concerning HP work in that case probably just sub it over sp atk

And naming the natures like the way it was done in Pokemon is a terrible idea lol since every character in FE has a distinct personality. Imagine Adamant Florina or Serious Fae. For a system like that in Heroes, the boon/bane should just be highlighted, or the symbol system like the one in Pokemon should be implemented (though the latter is geared towards actual IVs in Pokemon...)

2 hours ago, Reloaded said:

How would natures concerning HP work in that case probably just sub it over sp atk

And naming the natures like the way it was done in Pokemon is a terrible idea lol since every character in FE has a distinct personality. Imagine Adamant Florina or Serious Fae. For a system like that in Heroes, the boon/bane should just be highlighted, or the symbol system like the one in Pokemon should be implemented (though the latter is geared towards actual IVs in Pokemon...)

So it doesn't have to be the exact system, just a parallel one. Something new players might dismiss until they're ready to transition (highlighted stats force new players to learn the system immediately), while experienced players can recognise whether they are looking at an important nature regardless of level or unit variance (7 Spd is a boon for some but a bane for others, eg).

I don’t really think a visual display of assets and flaws is necessary. Keeping track of the assets and flaws is itself supposed to not be necessary, as the main thing in the game is to make do with what you’ve been dealt.

Heroes’ asset and flaw system also does a pretty good job of simulating random growth-based character development in the mainline series, so here’s the reason I am also against rerolling the assets and flaws.

It would be awesome to have a visual indicator of Boons & Banes for Heroes. Keeping track of all of my different characters and their natures can get pretty tiresome, especially when changing my documenting format. (Went from keeping detailed information on Word, to Google Sheets, back to Word but with simple info, and now I'm using FEH Keeper.)

While I know the natures of my mainstay teams and can figure out Level 1 & Level 40 heroes, I tend to forget who had what over time. This is especially the case for units who are being leveled since I am too lazy to reference the "Unlock Potential" screen to reconfirm their natures.

As for rerolling or choosing natures, I would appreciate it as a quality of life thing (so I can simply reroll instead of hoping for an "optimized summon."), but am unsure if FE:H will ever implement such a system. It also calls into question if "True Neutrals" (Askr Trio, GHB Units, etc.) can be rerolled to have different natures.