Very Serious Question: Chrom +10 (fully merged)

Thigas

Hey guys, I need to discuss this build, and also need your opinion because it's a big investment for me.

I love Chrom, and well .. for a 5* CHROM, you usually prefer a +ATK -SPD and build BRAVE SWORD+.

But .. when we are talking about a fully merged one, maybe it's not the case. Let me point this out. A 5* +ATK and -SPD suffers a lot. It gets DOUBLED everytime. It has 26 SPD.

I'm thinking about making my +SPD -DEF the +10 one. Because, if I leave it with Falchion, and give it LD3, it will be a monster:

HP 51

ATK 60

SPD 38

DEF 27

RES 16

What do you think?

I think Chrom probably wants -Resistance more than -Defense in this case; his Resistance is already so garbage that sparing him the penalty isn't going to help him in any meaningful way, while having a bit more Defense may actually help in certain matchups with physical melee units.

Incidentally, how many Chroms do you have, and what are their IV setups? It'd be helpful to know what you have to work with when giving advice!

Worth remembering; when merging units of the same star tier, all + levels and inherited skills between the merged units are retained and added together! You could get started building a strong Chrom now, and then merge him into one with better IVs if such a Chrom comes along, while retaining the total + levels and inherited skills you gave him!

Edited by Topaz Light

Like they said, -Res is easily the thing he wants (not want...?) the most. His Res is garbage to begin with, so it's not like it'll get him out of getting killed by Blues and the like.

Theorycrafting is fine, but it's a lot smarter to plan ahead and work what you've got. Assuming you're even considering a +10 to begin with, it tells me you can make it possible at some point (also forgot he is available at *4).

It's also true people that have very Atk-reliant characters tend to give them a Brave and an Atk-boost skill to call it a day. Having him build off of +Spd is not a bad idea, and even potentially monstrous (really had no idea he could reach anywhere as much Spd...). Thing about that as well is that people tend to know to play around their weaknesses, so it's not like it's heavily detrimental.

I would build him as a renewal healer for TT.  Will see plenty of use.  Main reason is it's just a unique build that only 4 characters can use.  There are better units for Falchion healing, but it makes him extremely useful and if you have a +10 he's going to be great.

Player Phase melee units should go with -Res. Besides a few rare dragons and even fewer Close Counter mages, nothing counter attacks at melee range using magic.

Chrom +Spd -Res
Falchion, Moonbow
Life and Death, Swordbreaker
Merge+10
Player Phase 97:2:69

Chrom +Atk -Res
Brave Sword, Luna
Death Blow, Swordbreaker
Merge+10
Player Phase 124:18:26

Edited by XRay

When I got my Chrom I got him as +Atk/-Spd so I already knew he was going run Brave Sword+ DB3/Atk+3 with Sword Breaker 3. In the case of you're Chrom you seem to want to take advantage of fully merged stats just remember as Satsuma mentioned before that in the world of +10s 38 speed is just meh. My Nino is only +1 and she already reaches 43 speed with Fury 3 (Yes, she is +Spd, but still if she was +10 she could eat up Chrom). You should also consider the risk of taking very painful damage on the counterattack from your foes since you only have 27 def, and 16 res.

I think it's better to take advantage of the massive +4 Atk boost from merging Chrom fully to +10, and running that with Brave Sword+ and perhaps a boost from Dark Aura or a regular hone Atk to absolutely decimate your enemies. It's also much safer to run Brave Sword+ because you don't have to worry about counterattacks once you're done killing, and even then Chrom has pretty decent defense and high HP so he can't be killed that easily.

If you do decide to run +10 merged with L&D3 and Flachion you may want to consider keeping a Brave Lucina with Drive Speed around to boost that speed by a lot (+6) so you can double way more opponents in high tier arena, and PvE.

I have a +4 Chrom with the same IVs and was also thinking of getting him to +10 to use in Arena Assault.

I would recommend Fury instead of LnD so that he will still reach 60 atk and 36 spd. Add on Summoner bonus if you can, Speed seal and Ally support and you're looking at 56/64/41/39/28 stats which is not shabby at all. Fury helps to preserve his bulk and the extra Res might save you against a WoM Ninian.

If you're thinking long term like me and will eventually try to get 4 +10s for Rank 1 in Arena Assault, Chrom is a good choice as he naturally comes with Aether, legendary weapon and is available at 4*.

This is my Chrom for reference: https://i.imgur.com/Ftksyf7.png

Very nice Chrom, but hey, I'm doing the MATH, and I would like to share some thoughts on my CHROM build.

Actually, I have a 40+5 Chrom (+atk -spd), and I have 4 more Chroms 4*. They are:

+ATK -RES

-SPD +RES

-ATK +SPD

+SPD -HP

I'm thinking about having a +10 CHROM, with +SPD -HP. 

with his base, he would be:

HP 44
ATK 34
SPD 29
DEF 31
RES 17

With FALCHION, FURY3, SUMMONER SUPPORT and HP+3, he would be:

HP 56
ATK 57
SPD 38
DEF 40
RES 26

Build: Aether, Reposition, Fury3, Renewal, Infantry Pulse and HP+3. Total of 217 BST, with passive +20 healing with falchion + Renewal. For TT, would change his FURY3 for DB, or LD, or something else.

Also, what do you guys think about changing his fury for Distant Counter?

1 hour ago, Thigas said:

Very nice Chrom, but hey, I'm doing the MATH, and I would like to share some thoughts on my CHROM build.

Actually, I have a 40+5 Chrom (+atk -spd), and I have 4 more Chroms 4*. They are:

+ATK -RES

-SPD +RES

-ATK +SPD

+SPD -HP

I'm thinking about having a +10 CHROM, with +SPD -HP. 

with his base, he would be:

HP 44
ATK 34
SPD 29
DEF 31
RES 17

With FALCHION, FURY3, SUMMONER SUPPORT and HP+3, he would be:

HP 56
ATK 57
SPD 38
DEF 40
RES 26

Build: Aether, Reposition, Fury3, Renewal, Infantry Pulse and HP+3. Total of 217 BST, with passive +20 healing with falchion + Renewal. For TT, would change his FURY3 for DB, or LD, or something else.

Also, what do you guys think about changing his fury for Distant Counter?

If you really want to do math, let the calculator do the math for you; it is so much easier. The Arena no longer take Fury's contribution to Base Stat Total into account. Each skill is weighted by their SP cost.

I would make two different Chroms since his builds require different natures. I do not recommend giving him Distant Counter since he is far better utilizing a Brave Sword build. His best Distant Counter build would be the following:

Chrom +Atk -Def
Slaying Edge, Luna
Distant Counter, Quick Riposte
Merge+10
Enemy Phase 117:31:20

Here is my post from earlier for comparison in case you missed it.

17 hours ago, XRay said:

Player Phase melee units should go with -Res. Besides a few rare dragons and even fewer Close Counter mages, nothing counter attacks at melee range using magic.

Chrom +Spd -Res
Falchion, Moonbow
Life and Death, Swordbreaker
Merge+10
Player Phase 97:2:69

Chrom +Atk -Res
Brave Sword, Luna
Death Blow, Swordbreaker
Merge+10
Player Phase 124:18:26

Edited by XRay

Another really important thing to remember is that it's not really feasible to make a unit who's just good at everything in FE Heroes; every character is going to have some sort of weak point, no matter what. Your best bet for making a unit good is deciding on a niche that gels well with their stats, weapon type, and movement type, and going all-in to make them amazing at that role, while considering what other sorts of units and builds might synergize well with them.

Edited by Topaz Light