• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My only problem with these alternate heroes is lack of consistency. Just look at Urvan, it is insanely overpowered, it is a legendary weapon that that completely outclasses Hauteclere, even though Hauteclere is supposed to be it's own unique legendary weapon. (Not that I don't mind having Urvan accelerate special trigger). A lot of the stuff they release is just out-dating so many things, whether it be from seasonal heroes or "special guest star" heroes..etc.

Edited by Logos

1 minute ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

It's okay if you like Cain and Fred more than Roy, and want to use them. But no way in hell is Swift Sparrow Roy killing two people in one turn worse than those two. Fred can't even proc Galeforce in one turn because of his shit Spd ruining quads, and Cain just BARELY has a shot.

With Frederick, I'd give him Heavy Blade as well, with Quickened Pulse. He doesn't really need Spd, and damage specials like Bonfire are only necessary against crazy GHB/Tempest enemies.

I think you're giving Galeforce too much credit, though. I wouldn't bother giving it to Cain even if I could do so at no cost. That you can manage to kill two units in one round with it is the good fortune of having suitable enemies. There are plenty of things that can prevent you from using Galeforce at all (Wary Fighter in particular comes to mind), or trivialize it (bulky enemies that require that extra round to finish off).

I'm not saying Roy is worse, but that his only real advantage is having an extra option in the form of Blazing Durandal. It's nice, but a different skill set just has different vulnerabilities, and ultimately, he'll win and lose to the same enemies as Seth or Cain.

This is a neutral Roy after receiving a hone cavalry buff

Spoiler

Screenshot_2017-09-09-01-18-21.thumb.png.67e83910e4a2e35ff588e0c1c2e1b128.png

There's no way Roy's 57 atk and 40 spd and built-in heavy blade (61 atk and 44 spd if Swift sparrow was there) is worse than Frederick's 52 atk with a Brave Axe.

59 minutes ago, Johann said:

With Frederick, I'd give him Heavy Blade as well, with Quickened Pulse. He doesn't really need Spd, and damage specials like Bonfire are only necessary against crazy GHB/Tempest enemies.

I think you're giving Galeforce too much credit, though. I wouldn't bother giving it to Cain even if I could do so at no cost. That you can manage to kill two units in one round with it is the good fortune of having suitable enemies. There are plenty of things that can prevent you from using Galeforce at all (Wary Fighter in particular comes to mind), or trivialize it (bulky enemies that require that extra round to finish off).

I'm not saying Roy is worse, but that his only real advantage is having an extra option in the form of Blazing Durandal. It's nice, but a different skill set just has different vulnerabilities, and ultimately, he'll win and lose to the same enemies as Seth or Cain.

Well, here's another benefit of Roy coming with the Heavy Blade effect. He doesn't have to run Heavy Blade as his A-skill, which frees him up to run a boosting A-skill for even greater power and chance of Heavy Blade activating (there's no such thing as overkill; the best units in this game destroy most of their own color and even start breaking through units of the color they're weak against in player hands). Also, since Blazing Durandal isn't a Brave weapon, eating the counterattack actually helps Roy set up Galeforce and Desperation for the sweep, freeing up the Quickened Pulse seal. If you don't need QP on anyone else, then Roy can get Galeforce with the seal.

If you think I overrate Galeforce, then what do you think of dancers, three of the most versatile units in the game, and useful in every single piece of content in this game? You yourself also said bonus damage specials aren't entirely necessary in most content (which isn't true by the way; damage specials are how you crack through units that wall your damage type or beat your color). Then no Specials should be run?

There are situations that can wall off any unit. I'm hardly arguing that B!Roy is a god with no disadvantageous situations, but really, only the best units like Ryoma can survive Roy's 57/40 offenses (this is neutral B!Roy with a Hone Cav AND NO A-SKILL). Keep in mind that the same situations that can wall Roy also wall most other physical attackers.

Being able to run a legendary weapon is hardly a small advantage. Units like Hector and Camus literally get carried by their Prfs. Also, the same update that gave us Brave Roy also gave us Brave Ike, an extremely strong anti-Brave unit that a lot of the playerbase has chosen for free now. Since Ike counterattacks, Urvan doesn't trigger on Roy's second hit, unlike Brave attackers whose second hits are walled extremely hard. Even strong Brave Sword users, and especially Cain and Seth because of Beorc's Blessing, actually can't kill Brave Ike, and then they eat the Ignis.

1 hour ago, Logos said:

My only problem with these alternate heroes is lack of consistency. Just look at Urvan, it is insanely overpowered, it is a legendary weapon that that completely outclasses Hauteclere, even though Hauteclere is supposed to be it's own unique legendary weapon. (Not that I don't mind having Urvan accelerate special trigger). A lot of the stuff they release is just out-dating so many things, whether it be from seasonal heroes or "special guest star" heroes..etc.

This was to be expected. CYL was big ass hype event featuring most popular characters of FE. I don't know if you remember but I was calling it that it will come with massive powercreep. In all honestly anything less would underwhelming. Brave heroes are meant to be crop of cream for Fire Emblem Heroes.

29 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Well, here's another benefit of Roy coming with the Heavy Blade effect. He doesn't have to run Heavy Blade as his A-skill, which frees him up to run a boosting A-skill for even greater power and chance of Heavy Blade activating (there's no such thing as overkill; the best units in this game destroy most of their own color and even start breaking through units of the color they're weak against in player hands). Also, since Blazing Durandal isn't a Brave weapon, eating the counterattack actually helps Roy set up Galeforce and Desperation for the sweep, freeing up the Quickened Pulse seal. If you don't need QP on anyone else, then Roy can get Galeforce with the seal.

If you think I overrate Galeforce, then what do you think of dancers, three of the most versatile units in the game, and useful in every single piece of content in this game? You yourself also said bonus damage specials aren't entirely necessary in most content (which isn't true by the way; damage specials are how you crack through units that wall your damage type or beat your color). Then no Specials should be run?

There are situations that can wall off any unit. I'm hardly arguing that B!Roy is a god with no disadvantageous situations, but really, only the best units like Ryoma can survive Roy's 57/40 offenses (this is neutral B!Roy with a Hone Cav AND NO A-SKILL). Keep in mind that the same situations that can wall Roy also wall most other physical attackers.

Being able to run a legendary weapon is hardly a small advantage. Units like Hector and Camus literally get carried by their Prfs. Also, the same update that gave us Brave Roy also gave us Brave Ike, an extremely strong anti-Brave unit that a lot of the playerbase has chosen for free now. Since Ike counterattacks, Urvan doesn't trigger on Roy's second hit, unlike Brave attackers whose second hits are walled extremely hard. Even strong Brave Sword users, and especially Cain and Seth because of Beorc's Blessing, actually can't kill Brave Ike, and then they eat the Ignis.

Roy can sometimes ORKO Ike through Urvan though. With Goad, he breaks through Urvan assuming Ike did not have Steady Breath.

Cain only need to NOT initiate if he want to win against Ike so is not really that big of a deal(this is the same strategy used for Brave Alfonse vs Non Terrain Hector)

Edited by JSND

14 minutes ago, JSND said:

Roy can sometimes ORKO Ike through Urvan though. With Goad, he breaks through Urvan assuming Ike did not have Steady Breath

Cain only need to NOT initiate if he want to win against Ike

There's no Brave Ike that doesn't run Steady Breath lol. It's so amazingly broken. But anyway, my point was that Brave Roy can sweep through Brave Ike no problem on his phase, while Brave users like Cain and Seth can't.

There are a billion things you can do to beat the AI, assuming the good options are available to you. Hector is so easily cheesed on a defense team, and Reinhardt just runs into you and dies, assuming you have the right units to do so. But still, forcing a PP Sword to not play PP already says something.

Edited by SatsumaFSoysoy

11 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

There's no Brave Ike that doesn't run Steady Breath lol. It's so amazingly broken. But anyway, my point was that Brave Roy can sweep through Brave Ike no problem on his phase, while Brave users like Cain and Seth can't.

There are a billion things you can do to beat the AI, assuming the good options are available to you. Hector is so easily cheesed on a defense team, and Reinhardt just runs into you and dies, assuming you have the right units to do so. But still, forcing a PP Sword to not play PP already says something.

This is why you run Escutcheon +SPD Cain Godstrats duh

I'm somewhat surprised Cain's 32 speed isn't mentioned. Its awkward as fuck and forces Cain to git goad(Ike is 28)

Edited by JSND

So you basically need good IV and useless special to do same thing as Neutral vanilla Roy and that all just to counter one single unit? Again how it does  make Cain equal or even better?

Edited by Tenzen12

6 minutes ago, JSND said:

I'm somewhat surprised Cain's 32 speed isn't mentioned. Its awkward as fuck and forces Cain to git goad(Ike is 28)

Well, 34 is clearly better than 32, so haven't really found the need to dwell on it lol.

2 minutes ago, Tenzen12 said:

So you basically need good IV and useless special to do same thing as Neutral vanilla Roy and that all just to counter one single unit? Again how it does  make Cain equal or even better?

He was joking, JSND also thinks Brave Roy is stupidly good.

6 hours ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

You're still missing the point: Roy using Galeforce is not winning fights against units that Cain or Seth wouldn't as well. The few differences in match-ups rely more on what skills the enemies are setting.

Oh, and comparing Dance with Galeforce is a false equivalency. There's no condition to activating Dance on a non-dancer.

I know i've been praising brave Roy to hell and back so let me do some justice to Brave Lucina

Look at Geirskogul

Now look at Camus

Now look at Geirskogul again

Now look at Brave Roy

And back to Geirskogul again

And go to Brave Lyn

When you are distracted by her lack of ability to support Blade tomes you probably forgot Brave Roy and Brave Lyn is a fair and balanced unit and Brave Lucina gave them support that surpass Goad Cavalry(4/4 vs 6/3 or 3/6 depending on your choice of Drive). Distant Counter on Camus is effectively irrelevant because:

1. If you run such a team Lyn and Roy would be busy owning shit left and right and no Red tome can really deal with that.

2. Lucina's stats spread is busted(granted compared to Camus its just 1 more speed and nothing else when buffs are factored).

I wish this kind of bullshit have 3 Mov or Fly.

Be really thankful that this kind of monster isn't on a horse, since a Horse riding Geirskogul user would give you 7/7 on AOE that can't be panic ploy'd, or 9/9 when stacked with Hone Cavalry. She would be godly even if horse reduce her speed by 4 lol. I would think twice for saying she's better than Brave Roy(since really i only hyped her this much since her Brave Roy and Brave Lyn synergy is beyond good), but i honestly think Brave Lucina's gimmick is the most broken on paper of the 4 Brave Hero

Paladin Brave Chrom with Geirskogul when

@JohannThat's objectively false

Roy:65 wins · 6 losses · 97 draws (124 favorable · 24 unfavorable · 20 other) 

Cain: 42 wins · 17 losses · 109 draws (89 favorable · 38 unfavorable · 41 other)

So yeah Roy wins against 23 units Cain wouldn't. Seth is even worse than that. What's more Roy would very likely be able defeat lot of these draws due having second shot, which is unaccounted. 

Btw with single hone on both, Roy can wins against 32 enemies Cain can't instead of 23. Roy has much better stats with B.Durandal so that result is pretty obvious.

Edited by Tenzen12

10 hours ago, JSND said:

This just reminded me that there are no 1-range cavaliers in the game with +34 neutral attack and speed. The highest are Peri's 33 attack and speed and BH Roy's 32 attack and 34 speed. Coming in close are Abel's 33 attack and 32 speed, Cain's 32 attack and speed, Roderick's 31 attack and 34 speed and although he's a GHB unit who cannot have boons or banes to become stronger, Camus's 32 attack and 33 speed. Also, Luke's odd 34 attack and 28 speed. For that matter, there is only one 1-range cavalier with +35 neutral attack and that is Frederick followed by Luke and GHB-only, so no boons or banes, Berkut's 34 attack and 22 speed.

For 2-range cavaliers, BH Lyn has the highest at 33 attack and 35 speed. Granted, she has higher BST, but she could still have an offensive spread like that at the cost of her HP, defense, or resistance. She's followed by Elise's 32 attack and speed, but she needs Wrathful Staff to do normal damage, GHB-only Ursula's 29 attack and 32 speed, Priscilla's 29 attack and speed, and Olwen's 26 attack and 34 speed. Basically, we do not have a mounted mage with +32 neutral attack and speed who is not a healer. For highest attack, it's Cecilia's 32 attack and 25 speed and Reinhardt's 32 attack and 23 speed. In this case, no mounted mage with +35 neutral attack.

In regards to BH Roy, he is without a doubt, the best sword cavalier in the game when his offensive spread is the best with 32 attack and 34 speed. Why is he not hyped up as much? Take a look at the color pools.

Who would you rather have? An axe unit who can lower the effectiveness of Brave weapons, Desperation builds, and horse and flier teams, the first mounted archer in the game who can negate Distant Counter users and (-blade) mage buffs, or another blue who is basically lance Lucina and can also be a pretty good physical wall, especially if she's +Def or arguably the best offensive sword cavalier among other good sword units? Unless you really want Roy and/or absolutely loathe the other characters, I bet most people would be choosing between Ike and Lyn and some would want Lucina.

Personally, I think people know he's good, but he's just overshadowed by the other Brave Heroes. It's really tough to compete against the first mounted archer, axe Ike with his boosted BST and skills, and a good lance unit who is also currently the only regularly available lance infantry with high attack and speed since bride Charlotte and summer F!Robin's banners ended, nobody knows what Nephenee's stats will be exactly -- we can guess, however --, and Sharena is free. All the other lance infantries are slow, bulky, hard-hitting units except for Donnel who is also free and skirts around average speed.

Compared to the other sword cavaliers, I think he's mostly fighting (and winning) against Cain and Eliwood. With Cain, if you gave Roy a Brave Sword or a Firesweep Sword, Roy wins hands down. Personally, I'd question why you would even do that since Blazing Durandal, like normal Durandal, is a fantastic weapon, so it's a waste in my opinion to do that. I would rather keep Cain and Luke for that matter with a Brave Sword or wait for a sword cavalier who does not have a legendary, but has the right stats for Firesweep Sword. It's a situation of Roy can and does well, but other units do it already and don't have another option like Roy does and Roy's option is pretty good. That's just my opinion; I would rather keep a unit with their legendary weapon if the weapon is good to maybe decent or they work well with it rather than switch out out unless the weapon isn't that great like Takumi's Fujin Yumi which is mostly of keep it for its MT and have fun with Close Counter shenanigans or give him a Brave Bow since Fujin Yumi doesn't really offer much with its built-in Pass 2.

The moment Roy's stats were shown, Eliwood was surpassed by his son in being a player phase nuker with Durandal -- so sweet that it tugs on my heartstrings. That said, Eliwood still has his niche in being the only high resistance sword cavalier which can also let him be a powerful Brave Sword, Def Ploy cavalier. So, Eliwood isn't as great running Durandal like Roy, but he still can, he is the only mage tank for sword cavaliers, and he does have the option for an expensive and possibly impossible Brave Sword build for some since no other unit has Def Ploy, but seasonal summer Gaius.

As for the other sword cavaliers, Seth's in a position where he's close enough to Cain, but not enough. He can still do what Cain does, but I think with 1 less speed while having the same attack, Seth might be better off being a green wall or something which is different from Eldigan and Xander's enemy phase killer builds. At the very least, he's kind of a better average unit than Stahl which is quite ironic. Speaking of Stahl, he's probably the worst off of the cavaliers. And as for Luke, he's the closest thing reds have to a Frederick, but he's still kind of off when his speed is kind of high and it could have been dumped for defense. Seriously, Luke could have had 43 HP, 34 Atk, 24 Spd, 34 Def, and 20 Res as his stat spread. He didn't, so whatever. He's a different beast is what I'm saying.

Basically, if you want an offensive sword cavalier, it would be something like BH Roy, Cain, Eliwood, and Luke. If you want a defensive sword cavalier, Eldigan, Xander, and maybe Luke. If you want someone in the middle, Seth. If you want a mage tank, Eliwood. And Stahl just exists. At least Stahl is the best user of Panic Ploy?

Edited by Kaden

14 minutes ago, Kaden said:

At least Stahl is the best user of Panic Ploy?

Panic Ploy rank degraded so much these days.
Realistically speaking a unit with something like 40 HP would work just as well as higher HP for panic ploy purpose. 48 is basically the hard panic ploy numbers, but its not really that useful because Xander only becomes issue situationally, and his threat mainly comes from Azura. Throw in existence of support and you will realize how easy it is for a character to qualify as a  "good panic ploy user"

Edited by JSND

9 minutes ago, JSND said:

Panic Ploy rank degraded so much these days.
Realistically speaking a unit with something like 40 HP would work just as well as higher HP for panic ploy purpose. 48 is basically the hard panic ploy numbers, but its not really that useful because Xander only becomes issue situationally, and his threat mainly comes from Azura. Throw in existence of support and you will realize how easy it is for a character to qualify as a  "good panic ploy user"

What if you need him to Panic Ploy AI units with higher HP? :p

Thing is if you dropped his HP to 41 and dumped all those points into speed, he would be the most average sword cavalier and that might actually be all right for him. While I'm at it, drop his defense by 2 and dump that into his resistance. 41 HP, 31 Atk, 30 Spd, 28 Def, and 24 Res. Basically a cavalier Palla who's 1 speed and 2 resistance off from being a carbon copy. His advantage over Seth is he'd still be all right for Panic Ploy and have okay resistance while Seth would be a stronger physical wall at the cost of having much lower HP.

Edit: Actually, he'd be a cavalier M!Corrin without Yato and with 1 less HP and attack and 2 less speed.

Edited by Kaden

13 minutes ago, Kaden said:

What if you need him to Panic Ploy AI units with higher HP? :p

Thing is if you dropped his HP to 41 and dumped all those points into speed, he would be the most average sword cavalier and that might actually be all right for him. While I'm at it, drop his defense by 2 and dump that into his resistance. 41 HP, 31 Atk, 30 Spd, 28 Def, and 24 Res. Basically a cavalier Palla who's 1 speed and 2 resistance off from being a carbon copy. His advantage over Seth is he'd still be all right for Panic Ploy and have okay resistance while Seth would be a stronger physical wall at the cost of having much lower HP.

The thing with Panic Ploy is that usually you really only need to direct it into actually dangerous unit which is basically Bladetomes and they capped at like 40+ area except for the fringe high HP ones. I remember arguing this when some argued Luke is bad for Panic Ploy because 43 isn't infinity HP, but thats not really true when you remember what unit actually makes a good use of buff on the opposing side. Same reason why Def and ATK ploy have 32 as their hard number really

Speaking of which this is why "do calculations on meta unit plz" can be such a fucking silly counter argument to kill score calculations sometimes. I'm somewhat sure on average meta unit actually have lower bulk thereshold than non meta unit(Clive ORKO Ike so he basically have perfect coverage loool)

Edited by JSND

3 minutes ago, JSND said:

The thing with Panic Ploy is that usually you really only need to direct it into actually dangerous unit which is basically Bladetomes and they capped at like 40+ area except for the fringe high HP ones. I remember arguing this when some argued Luke is bad for Panic Ploy because 43 isn't infinity HP, but thats not really true when you remember what unit actually makes a good use of buff on the opposing side. Same reason why Def and ATK ploy have 32 as their hard number really

This makes me wonder if and when we'll get something like "Phantom Health" as a Sacred Seal. It would make Panic Ploy stronger since the user would have more coverage and it might work for F2P strategies using Valter to inflict Panic Ploy on a particular unit, but it could also weaken Panic Ploy since someone could choose to run that instead of Attack +1, Quickened Pulse, or whatever.

48 minutes ago, Johann said:

@Tenzen12 W/L/D rates are a poor metric, especially when you're running default skill sets for both player and enemy.

I know,  because as I said it doesn't take Galeforce in consideration. In vakuum Roy stomp, in actual match Roy stomp much harder. Again Roy is much better by pure stats alone already. His attack is 11 points higher with no demerit. That's 22 damage on combat and because his speed he take hit better as well. 

Cain has worse attack, defense as well as worse weapon. No matter how I look I don't see even single aspect where would Cain perform better. If you can explain me at least one I would be grateful.

Even if W:L:D ratio is a poor metric in terms of actual measurement, it does not mean it is poor at determining the relative performance between characters. A build that has 120:20:28 will still perform better than a build with 100:20:48 using a better metric.

14 hours ago, Logos said:

I dont think Urvan is overpowered, there are plenty of units that can blow Ike with Urvan and Steady Breath up. I mean Litrblade mages can send him to hell and back, even other non Litrblade mages can do that due to his low resistence. Ikes Powercreep is nowhere on the level as Reinhardt and Lyns. Yes he is an excellent Enemy phase unit but he is nowhere near the powerlevel Reinhardt and Lyn offer. In my opinion he is powerfull but not unfair as opposed to the other 2.

I dont see this banner outdating much. Yes some units got obselete due to this banner, but thats gonna happen sooner or later anyway. Most units are still intact and useful they just need different builds to counter Ike and Lyn

Well, he can hard counter  both Lyn and Rein and everyone and their grandmother has former. Being Anti-meta unit in game ruled by meta put him on pretty much into OP spot. From my personal experience getting rid Ike is much harder than Rein. For once he is infantry which means other units are pretty close and if you say litrebade mages you mean infantry ones only, which already is pretty limiting.

I would say any unit you need especially to prepared for counts as OP, and Ike fits the bill.

Edited by Tenzen12