I finally got the game! (Conquest)

wissenschaft

Actually, I restarted with Lunatic difficulty. I think I can do it. Plus, I like that the difficulty doesn't start off absurd like other FE games. Its more tactical then anything else and thats how difficulty should be balanced. Anyway, I got Mozu to lvl 6 in her prologue and with good level ups shes a killer even on Lunatic. The same strategy of rush left works on ch 8 even on Lunatic and two archers makes it easier. Hopefully this weekend I'll finally get time to get up to ch 10 but it will be on Lunatic difficulty so oh boy. lol

Also, I did abuse branch of fate. I started out with quick unlucky and then used the branch feature to switch to clever unlucky. This allowed me to more easily ensure I got the speed level ups I need for the early game, which i did get. I don't think excitable is worth it, the lost of 2 res is painful and unlucky has an easy early fix with the early goddess icon. Might as well fed my MU the other icons in conquest as well.

Edited by wissenschaft

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, Clever/Unlucky talent is my favorite.  Enables pretty good STR/MAG hybrid (40% Str and 45% magic before class bonuses, for stuff like 50% Str and 60% Magic as a Nohr Noble or similar combinations like 60% Str and 55% Magic as Dark Knight).  Also. gives good pair-up bonuses to your A-ranks (+1 Spd at C, +1 Def at B, +1 more speed [now 2 total] at A;  S gives +1 Magic and +1 Res).   And as you noted, Goddess Icons are very early on and patch the early luck drop.  

I also think that Unlucky well reflects how unlucky Corrin is to have to be thrust in the situation of the war and having to choose between his two warring families.  

Edited by astrophys

3 hours ago, wissenschaft said:

Actually, I restarted with Lunatic difficulty. I think I can do it. Plus, I like that the difficulty doesn't start off absurd like other FE games. Its more tactical then anything else and thats how difficulty should be balanced. Anyway, I got Mozu to lvl 6 in her prologue and with good level ups shes a killer even on Lunatic. The same strategy of rush left works on ch 8 even on Lunatic and two archers makes it easier. Hopefully this weekend I'll finally get time to get up to ch 10 but it will be on Lunatic difficulty so oh boy. lol

Also, I did abuse branch of fate. I started out with quick unlucky and then used the branch feature to switch to clever unlucky. This allowed me to more easily ensure I got the speed level ups I need for the early game, which i did get. I don't think excitable is worth it, the lost of 2 res is painful and unlucky has an easy early fix with the early goddess icon. Might as well fed my MU the other icons in conquest as well.

Ch10 is fun provided you play aggressively.

Knight!Effie is significantly worse on lunatic so if you're using her long term get A+ with mozu asap for a better class and early quick draw (+possible elbow room) percy. Or just knock her up and bench her.

Edited by joshcja

3 hours ago, wissenschaft said:

Having Unlucky as my bane is one idea that is completely out of the question, as far as I'm concerned - it ain't enough that the crit evade formula was changed, it's also that most Hoshidan classes have high skill and/or boosted crit, which means a lot of potential for crit-induced frustration. And then there's chapter 25, which is much more likely to go straight to hell if you have a Corrin who faces non-trivial crit chances.

1 hour ago, astrophys said:

Oh, Clever/Unlucky talent is my favorite.  Enables pretty good STR/MAG hybrid (40% Str and 45% magic before class bonuses, for stuff like 50% Str and 60% Magic as a Nohr Noble or similar combinations like 60% Str and 55% Magic as Dark Knight).  Also. gives good pair-up bonuses to your A-ranks (+1 Spd at C, +1 Def at B, +1 more speed [now 2 total] at A;  S gives +1 Magic and +1 Res).   And as you noted, Goddess Icons are very early on and patch the early luck drop.  

I also think that Unlucky well reflects how unlucky Corrin is to have to be thrust in the situation of the war and having to choose between his two warring families.  

Outside of the one Goddess Icon in the prologue segment, how many of them are there?

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

13 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Having Unlucky as my bane is one idea that is completely out of the question, as far as I'm concerned - it ain't enough that the crit evade formula was changed, it's also that most Hoshidan classes have high skill and/or boosted crit, which means a lot of potential for crit-induced frustration. And then there's chapter 25, which is much more likely to go straight to hell if you have a Corrin who faces non-trivia all crit chances.

Outside of the one Goddess Icon in the prologue segment, how many of them are there?

There are 5 icons total if memory serves.

The boss of ch25 really struggles to deal significant damage to a severely underleveled dst+ corrin playing defensively.

Hoshidian Srank classes have equal or lower +crit hiddens than nhorian Sranks and are packing much lower flat damage. Sword/Spear/Snipe all have 10% while MN has 5%.

Edited by joshcja

1 hour ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Having Unlucky as my bane is one idea that is completely out of the question, as far as I'm concerned - it ain't enough that the crit evade formula was changed, it's also that most Hoshidan classes have high skill and/or boosted crit, which means a lot of potential for crit-induced frustration. And then there's chapter 25, which is much more likely to go straight to hell if you have a Corrin who faces non-trivial crit chances.

Don't remember - there are a few, so you can patch it up, definitely.   You  lose something like 9.8 luck over 39 level [and reduced bases], and just the first two Goddess Icons being directed specifically to Corrin wipe out most of that total deficit.  Also, if doing +MAG (Clever) early in the game, with pair-ups [Felicia] and such its common early on to achieve one-shot kills in Dragon form [and later on in the game you can transition over to tomes and the Levin Sword].  In any event, the Dragonstone has an inherent +10 dodge, so that covers A LOT of your early critical avoid problems.    

2 hours ago, wissenschaft said:

Actually, I restarted with Lunatic difficulty. I think I can do it. Plus, I like that the difficulty doesn't start off absurd like other FE games. Its more tactical then anything else and thats how difficulty should be balanced. Anyway, I got Mozu to lvl 6 in her prologue and with good level ups shes a killer even on Lunatic. The same strategy of rush left works on ch 8 even on Lunatic and two archers makes it easier. [...]

Also, I did abuse branch of fate. I started out with quick unlucky and then used the branch feature to switch to clever unlucky. This allowed me to more easily ensure I got the speed level ups I need for the early game, which i did get. [...]

That is impressive, mate. I have played a couple of chapters of Conquest Lunatic but I still feel more comfortable playing it in Hard.

And Archer/Sniper Mozu has always been one of my MVP in all of my runs. In Hard, she levels-up till level 8-10 in her own chapter, depending on how many kills she makes and how hard she hits the boss (counter-intuitively, the weaker she is, the more levels she can get by attacking the boss on her own.)
Recruiting her before Chapter 8 is a God-send and, lately, I have decided not to use Niles at all (who is replaced by Anna) and to pair-up Mozu with Silas to get an early (before Chapter 10) Sophie with Aptitude.

You realise that each bane affects various stats, right? I usually check this calculator to get an idea of the different growths for each character.
https://soapy4159.github.io/ferevpairings/

36 minutes ago, astrophys said:

Don't remember - there are a few, so you can patch it up, definitely.   You  lose something like 9.8 luck over 39 level [and reduced bases], and just the first two Goddess Icons being directed specifically to Corrin wipe out most of that total deficit.  Also, if doing +MAG (Clever) early in the game, with pair-ups [Felicia] and such its common early on to achieve one-shot kills in Dragon form [and later on in the game you can transition over to tomes and the Levin Sword].  In any event, the Dragonstone has an inherent +10 dodge, so that covers A LOT of your early critical avoid problems.    

That's not just what I'm worried about - I'd say that fighting Ryoma in chapter 25 is much more likely to go awry if he has a 10% crit chance or higher on you (IIRC he has 22 crit), considering that Unlucky drops your luck cap to 24 before statue modifiers (assuming you stay as a Nohr Noble). This is even worse on Lunatic since he has Rend Heaven, and Inevitable End is everywhere, in case you thought to go after Saizo and Kagero.

56 minutes ago, astrophys said:

Bronze swords and Fire tomes and dragon stones exist.  Luck Tonics exist.  

10 dodge from one of the above.  

12 dodge  = 24 luck (20 if luck tonic applied)

All of which are less than ideal to be using against Ryoma since crits are practically the only way to deal anything remotely resembling damage to him (Dragonstones in particular might drop Corrin's speed low enough to get doubled, and the Dragonstone+ also drops your stats after attacking with it).

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

It is a pretty big damage reduction, yes, but there are ways around it.... my no-grind Lunatic run produced a Corrin that finished the game with Elbow Room (A-ranked Silas) , Str+2, and Trample (both from S-ranked Camilla) all equipped.   

That's still not one-rounding Ryoma, but you have time and Concoctions, plus Dragon Fang exists. 

1 hour ago, astrophys said:

It is a pretty big damage reduction, yes, but there are ways around it.... my no-grind Lunatic run produced a Corrin that finished the game with Elbow Room (A-ranked Silas) , Str+2, and Trample (both from S-ranked Camilla) all equipped.   

That's still not one-rounding Ryoma, but you have time and Concoctions, plus Dragon Fang exists. 

You do realize that if you're using a Bronze Sword (so as to negate Ryoma's crit chance), you can't activate Dragon Fang? Also, the grace period during which Ryoma won't attack is shorter on Lunatic.

Yeah, I agree that it kind of sucks having low luck growth but having the extra RES is really helpful, especially on Lunatic where I'm locked in on my level ups. I figured the best unit to use the Goddess Icons would be Corrin.

Also, I'm debating whether to even class change Corrin. I could use the heart seal I get in ch 9 on Selena so she can become a Sky Knight right away and start training her skill in lances asap. I want her as a falcon knight eventually so I can use rally speed.

Edited by wissenschaft

8 minutes ago, joshcja said:

Sky knight Selena is really bad.

Just spam bows.

You get free rallybots in the form of kids and rallymaster later.

Really? Awww. Maybe I should go bow knight instead. Eh, maybe just go Hero with a dip in bow knight just for Shuriken Breaker.

A fire emblem where you want to spam bows.......Fates is SO werid. lol

Edited by wissenschaft

47 minutes ago, wissenschaft said:

Really? Awww. Maybe I should go bow knight instead. Eh, maybe just go Hero with a dip in bow knight just for Shuriken Breaker.

A fire emblem where you want to spam bows.......Fates is SO werid. lol

Bows wind up in a really good place in CQ, lots of birds, lots of wtn/wta, very high mt, and heavy EP options are limited to talisman xander splashing draco, vantage sorc, and sol mn so specializing the rest of your army into player phase or utility roles is the way to go.

Also you get 3 top end staffbots later so feel free to release Elise the beast from the horrible fate that is the troubador line.

The key to ch 8 Lunatic is killing the boss by turn 8 which wins the ch before the reinforcements can reach you. Its easy to do once you know the right steps. I had corrin guard support Silas for an easy kill on the boss.

Edited by wissenschaft

1 hour ago, wissenschaft said:

The key to ch 8 Lunatic is killing the boss by turn 8 which wins the ch before the reinforcements can reach you. Its easy to do once you know the right steps. I had corrin guard support Silas for an easy kill on the boss.

On one hand I want to say well played #siliasisthejuggernaut.

On the other hand so much wasted exp and possibly money x.x

Also lunatic club, should be revived.

Edited by joshcja

11 hours ago, joshcja said:

On one hand I want to say well played #siliasisthejuggernaut.

On the other hand so much wasted exp and possibly money x.x

Also lunatic club, should be revived.

Oh, I still got the 10k gold reward. You can just barely get all the villages and get Silas/Corrin up to the boss in time. It requires a little bit of rescue (or in this case pair up) chaining. 

Man, it took me all day Saturday to beat conquest ch 10 Lunatic. What a nightmarishly overwhelming number of enemies. I definitely needed to restart to get some lucky dodges and accurate hits from those balliste. Man that was brutal. My Corrin, whos magic boon, is apparently strength blessed. lol Not that I'm complaining. I'm very happy I took the time to raise Mozu, shes already a killing machine with near constant level ups in STR or Speed. Effie hasn't got the best level ups and so many enemies have seal effects that shes not that tanky. Elise's personal skill is a god send for keeping my units alive. I'm happy to finally have Camilla, she was running around the whole map helping me kill troublesome units. Just having Camilla for support attacks helps me kill tough enemies.

Edited by wissenschaft

I've been ch 11 and ch 12. Holy shit, how do you beat ch 11 without Camilla? On Lunatic she only survives the ninja room just barely and thats with a lucky food boost providing +2 Def. You just can't rely on dodging. Lunatic is brutal, one mistake and a unit dies. Feels like everyones a glass cannon. Or maybe its more that fates is no HP emblem. lol

Ch 12 wasn't bad at all. I could have beat it faster if I didn't make stupid placement mistakes. Over all, a pretty easy mission. Finally got the flame shuriken and my god does Felica tear through enemies with it. Effie took Peri's steel lance and with Arthur pair up she can finally one shot enemies. She probably could have done that sooner if she didn't get so many crap level ups. SPD LUCK, HP LUCK. Damn it, Effie. lol

Ch 13 looks.......interesting. How am I going to deal with those beastslayer cavaliers. Interesting challenges in this map.

Oh and I did replay ch 10 because selena was getting shitty level ups in ch 11. I was able to beat it much faster thanks to already knowing where to move all my units. Still a brutal mission but very well design.\

Oh, and while I have used the mess hall, I haven't bothered with using tonics at all. I should probably use them. lol But I haven't needed them so far. I feel like as the game progresses I'll start to need them just to reliable double enemies.

Also, Kaze is awesome. Ninjas are awesome.

Edited by wissenschaft