I finally got the game! (Conquest)

wissenschaft

Well, I finally got a new 2DS XL and I decided to get Fates Conquest as my first of the 3DS FEs. Debating how I want to set up Corrin. I'm leaning towards Mag+ Res- Cavalier (I've got a soft spot for the class if my avatar is any indication) or Str+ Mag- Swordmaster. I can do more complex builds in replays when I know the ins and outs of the game. I wonder what talent I should pick. Meh, I'll just keep things simple at the start and pick the class my MU will use. The real struggle is male or female MU. lol

Hmm, I may even stick to noir prince for 20 levels because its good enough for Levi sword abuse. Save those heart seals for someone else like Odin.

I'll be going Hard mode for fun (through suffering lol). Any tips for hard mode?

Edited by wissenschaft

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chapter 10. is considered a trickier one for first-timers.  Tonics can help a lot, for boosting stats [look at the pair-ups you can make, and ask yourself what sorts of stat boosts would let you do things like double-attack incoming enemies, wipe them out in one round, stay fairly surivable, etc.].  Setting up units that can mow-down incoming waves while surviving pretty well themselves will help relieve early pressure on you.  

Camilla can beat Oboro on that map in one round if you have someone trade her an Iron Axe [she's slowed down too much by Steel to double Oboro, but Iron can].  

Don't use unpromoted units when you reach the late game. The enemies will become very high level. Also be aware of skills. You will time to time archers with counter in some maps and units with pass skills. Also watch out for weapons because you will see Generals and Beserkers carrying hammers and beastkillers to one shot your tanky generals and palaldins. The chapters you should be more strategic about are chapters 10, 17, and every chapter after 20 since that is when the late game starts and you will no longer see unpromoted units in the chapters ahead.

-Check out enemies' skills

-Related to the above: Beware of Seal skills and Lunge (the former make you lose stats after combat with an enemy unit, the latter allows units to swap position with whoever they attack after combat, which can really screw you over)

-Be sure to check out enemy weapons

-Avoid the Fighters in this game like the plague

13 hours ago, wissenschaft said:

Well, I finally got a new 2DS XL and I decided to get Fates Conquest as my first of the 3DS FEs. Debating how I want to set up Corrin. I'm leaning towards Mag+ Res- Cavalier (I've got a soft spot for the class if my avatar is any indication) or Str+ Mag- Swordmaster. I can do more complex builds in replays when I know the ins and outs of the game. I wonder what talent I should pick. Meh, I'll just keep things simple at the start and pick the class my MU will use. The real struggle is male or female MU. lol

Hmm, I may even stick to noir prince for 20 levels because its good enough for Levi sword abuse. Save those heart seals for someone else like Odin.

I'll be going Hard mode for fun (through suffering lol). Any tips for hard mode?

-The simplest build is +Mag/-Luck Dark Mage!FCorrin, just pick up nos and roll.

-The best way to play hard mode is by clicking Lunatic.

-Use tonic's and meals liberally.

-There are seal's other than the heart seal.

-Kidnap is really busted.

-Fighter tree is busted as hell.

-DM tree is busted as hell

-Damage stack is busted as hell. (Looks at Silias's personal)

-Lances are worthless past D rank.

-Use birds in the midgame.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: We get it already. An axe killed your family with numbers and now you hate both with an unspeakable passion.

Edited by joshcja

48 minutes ago, joshcja said:

-The simplest build is +Mag/-Luck Dark Mage!FCorrin, just pick up nos and roll.

-The best way to play hard mode is by clicking Lunatic.

-Use tonic's and meals liberally.

-There are seal's other than the heart seal.

-Kidnap is really busted.

-Fighter tree is busted as hell.

-DM tree is busted as hell

-Damage stack is busted as hell. (Looks at Silias's personal)

-Lances are worthless past D rank.

-Use birds in the midgame.

Bold: I call BS on these. Leaving Corrin half dead is as smart as robbing a police station, far as I'm concerned, and Fighter is pretty awful.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

Okay, please, let me clarify this Fighter thing for you: there are two native fighters in Conquest, a male one and a female one (I dunno what you consider spoilers and what you don't, so I'm not gonna name them, yes I'm probably being a bit too paranoid). The female one comes relatively late, has bad hit rates and is overall pretty lackluster IMHO, the ones who use her I'd say like her because of her amazing offensive capability (which is IMHO hampered by hit rate issues) and her design/personality (which are very polarizing in the community). The male one comes much earlier, has trouble doubling stuff but he's also much more accurate (his skill will eventually let him shine) and is overall tankier. Fighters promote to Berserkers, a class that can reach hilarious crit rates (we're talking at the very least 40 crit without too much thought about crit optimization) which make for amazing offensive potential. Their big problem though is that Berserkers also have an innate crit avoid penalty, which means they're also more prone to crits. The male Fighter also come swith apersonal skill which further reduces his own crit avoid, which coupled with bad luck makes him face 5-10% crit rates against... every enemy in the game I'd say, which is a lot when playable characters usually face 0-3% crit rates under normal circumstances. The female fighter therefore has crappy durability (don't let her sky-high HP fool you) and while the male fighter eventually grows sizable HP and Def stats he's really gonna hit much more crits than you'd like him to, which really cuts into his durability.

Basically it's a question of: do you think you can handle facing high crit chances against your Berserker considering they will most likely force you to insta-reset? Do you think you can handle reaching the final boss of an annoying chapter after 30+ turns only to have you Berserker critkilled by a random mook? Many people can't (@Levant here being the prime example) while other players are willing to put up with that (I myself always use at least one Berserker in every one of my Conquest playthroughs). I'd say your best bet is try the male Fighter out a few chapters and if he doesn't cut it and/or dies too often for your tastes, then don't bother with the class altogether.

Taking the Berserker combat prowess out of the window for a moment, the Fighter class tree is quite nice though: HP+5 really helps in low HP emblem (especially in the early-to-mid game), Gamble is nice on already accurate characters, Sol from Hero is the best defensive proc and an amazing skill for frontliners, Rally Strength is a really nice rally if you're an actually good tactician who remembers to make use of them (I'm not lol) and the lv.15 skills (Axefaire and Axebreaker), though they come into play too late, are not comic garbage like Aegis (and one could even argue that the -faire skills actually come into play exactly when they're most needed, which is the endgame where tanky enemy classes start becoming almost impossible to oneround and the ninjas almost impossible to OHKO). The Hero is also a really solid class, with amazing growth rates, none of the Berserker's durability issues and more than acceptable offense and tankyness.

Hard is challenging, but not so bad that you can't experiment a little. . .so do so!  Take advantage of other people's castle (food) and tonics.  If you happen upon a Birthright/Revelation castle, grab a Bronze/Iron Naginata, and maybe katanas, too.  The minor stat boots help out in early game.  Festals are decent early-on because of their range, but the Nohrian staves do a better job of patching people up.

There's a lot of situational weapons, and there will be situations where they will be used.  You'll figure it out as you go.

WRT avatar choice, the servant you get first is dependent on your avatar's gender. The other one joins midway through the game. That being said, I prefer a male avatar, so that's what I'd recommend. Also, I'd recommend getting Draconic Hex (the level 5 skill of the Nohr Noble class).

Oh I should mention that I did watch the funny mangs playthrough where he rips the story all game long, so I know the characters of the game. Beserkers (and to a lesser extent swordmasters) seems like active turn fighters only and otherwise have them paired up.

I must say, I'm quite enjoying the attack/guard stances. It provides some nice tactical depth to the game. Do I spread my units out for more damage or pair up for extra defense? 

I am getting some good level ups even in Res despite taking Mag+ Res-. I wonder how long that will last, lol.

Edited by wissenschaft

Speaking of, pair up (aka guard stance) is more situational than in Awakening (which you haven't played). There's also tag-team, aka attack stance. The latter allows the supporting unit to dual strike after the lead unit attacks, whereas the former allows a dual guard after enough attacks have been dealt or received; it also negates dual strikes. Anyway, I'd avoid Berserkers like the plague unless you're feeling lucky, and frankly, Swordmasters aren't so great either (except for a certain lightning katana user, and even he only scrapes by due to factors exclusive to him). I'd consider heart sealing Camilla to Wyvern Lord, too.

EDIT: Damn. Sniped by an edit :(

Well, I decided I'll be using my first heart seal to make Mozu an archer. I want the Kinshi Knight, its skills look sweet. I'll keep MU as a Nohr Prince since its a good enough class and dragonstone tanking has its uses.

Now that I got arthur, I must say while his hit rate is crap hes still useful for his pair up bonus. I really like this game. Every map is a little puzzle to be solved, how I should set up my units, what pair ups do I need to boosts stats, what order to kill enemies, etc. Quite fun. Effie + Elise make a nice choke point team with Elise personal skill further reducing the damage Effie takes. This is why I like skills in fire emblem games.

Edited by wissenschaft

You are going to be pleasantly surprised by some of the later units.

Spoiler

I am way too fond of Shura's personal skill. . .or just about all of him, really.  Perfect drop-in unit, IMO.

8 hours ago, wissenschaft said:

I am getting some good level ups even in Res despite taking Mag+ Res-. I wonder how long that will last, lol.

You're fortunate then.   Corrin has a low natural res growth [25% or so I believe], which then get penalized something like 10% subtractively [to 15%] plus class bonuses by -RES.  So you should have about 15% RES growth before class bonuses, and as a Nohr Prince about 20% growth in RES after class bonuses (5% as Nohr Prince).   

Mag+ adds 5% res growth. So in total I have a 25% Res growth. Yeah, I got massively lucky with my res by getting multiple levels ups.

Also, Mozu is cute and her aptitude skill is awesome. Add in a pair up from Arthur and she can dish out decent enough damage to actually get kills. Solves the problem older FE games had with archers, terrible bases. I should probably pair her with someone to give a child aptitude.

Any suggestions for ch 8? How can I get 3 villages because I want that 10k gold reward.

Edited by wissenschaft

Bumrush left ASAP for CH8. I screwed it on my first run and had to burn a Freeze use to keep that lancer on the middle left house away -- I think you can make it without wasting it. Pair up odin with Niles and have Niles kill those bottom mages, he takes practically zero damage. 

3 hours ago, wissenschaft said:

Mag+ adds 5% res growth. So in total I have a 25% Res growth. Yeah, I got massively lucky with my res by getting multiple levels ups.

Also, Mozu is cute and her aptitude skill is awesome. Add in a pair up from Arthur and she can dish out decent enough damage to actually get kills. Solves the problem older FE games had with archers, terrible bases. I should probably pair her with someone to give a child aptitude.

Any suggestions for ch 8? How can I get 3 villages because I want that 10k gold reward.

Jakob walks left holding Niles.

3 village in a shellnut.

Aptitude is bad on units not named Mozu just pass quick draw.

1 hour ago, joshcja said:

Jakob walks left holding Niles.

3 village in a shellnut.

Which is assuming they're playing as a girl - are you so closed-minded as to fail to take the possibility they're not playing with a female Corrin into account? :facepalm:

3 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Which is assuming they're playing as a girl - are you so closed-minded as to fail to take the possibility they're not playing with a female Corrin into account? :facepalm:

And also assuming that Jakob is at least tanky enough to withstand the onslaught of Fighters -which means reclassing him to Paladin or Great Knight so he can use swords for the Weapon Triangle Advantage, which the OP can't do anymore, since they already reclassed Mozu to Archer, to say nothing about the fact that Jakob becomes fodder for the Dark Mages as soon as he doesn't have access to long range anymore (E-rank hell and stuff) - in combination with Flora's Freeze Staff, which can get nasty. I'd strongly suggest against sending only one person left, to be honest.

The way I did it in my most recent run (which was Hard Mode, coincidentally), I sent Effie with a Javelin, Odin and Niles to the left, backed up by your servant of choice (either Jakob or Felicia, I personally used Jakob, but I think Felicia will do just fine) and Corrin, Silas and Archer!Mozu to the north, backed up by Elise, to deal with the Soldier and the goons spawning from that village. If you carefully lure the enemy one by one and make sure you can kill most if not all of them on your next Player Phase, you should be good to go. And with healers in both groups, you shouldn't have any trouble keeping everyone alive and kicking.

11 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Ok.

Felecia walks left with niles and a str tonic.

What a facinating strategic difference.

Edit: You split on the village, take village, regroup on the not frozen unit, and run before reinforcements spawn. Then you have arbitrarily high number of turns to get north village. No rng or stat requirements past splattering dm's.

Edited by joshcja

WTF? Archers are useful in a fire emblem? I don't understand the world anymore........lol

Archer Mozu w/ Arthur pair up was a killing machine in ch 8. I just bum rushed the left side. I had Elise take a hit from Flora to prevent the second charge of freeze being used and froze the lancer just in time. So the two bottom left villages were gotten and then I just took my time clearing out the reinforcements, my two archers going on a killing rampage. Salias + Felecia pair up was able to double the boss. It took a free tries but otherwise pretty painless. I can see this map being challenging on Lunatic and being harder without Archer Mozu with good level ups.

Ch. 9 doesn't seem hard and so I'll be up to the infamous ch 10 pretty soon.

Edited by wissenschaft

It isn't that much harder without archer Mozu for ch. 8. It's all about using that dragon vein to position your unit just right so that the dark mages don't nuke your party, allowing your units initiate their attacks on them. What you have to remember is that as difficult as Conquest can be, there are also times when the easier options are the paths where you don't fight as much like how in chapter 8 where instead of going through the houses from the top you went left. Conquest is generally about all in offense or defense. Enemies are going to be very annoying when they attack and they get worse as time goes on.

Also, you'll get a choice later to either kill a person or spare them. Depending on what you want/need should be based on your decision. If you kill him, you get a pair of boots. If you don't, you have a useful adventurer who debuff against people who can't fight back. If you need an extra archer/healer/debuffer or if you don't have Niles set up, you can use this unit.

GL.

50 minutes ago, qwertyfatcat said:

Also, you'll get a choice later to either kill a person or spare them. Depending on what you want/need should be based on your decision. If you kill him, you get a pair of boots. If you don't, you have a useful adventurer who debuff against people who can't fight back. If you need an extra archer/healer/debuffer or if you don't have Niles set up, you can use this unit.

It should be noted that said character can come in handy in the chapter immediately after that one. Well, that, and Boots got nerfed.