My FE5 guidance

Harvey

I just started playing FE5. You know the drill...help me here in this game. 

So far I'm in chapter 3 and there doesn't seem to show the fatique bar on the units nor do the energy drinks start showing up...am I missing something here or did I end up getting a different rom or something?

Also I didn't bother capturing Shiva and he didn't bother to attack me either. I completed 2x chapter oddly able to capture Leis I think...does Shiva come later at this point?

Also due to the translation patch being buggier than the early FE4 patch, I'm finding myself not able to get some of the text hard to understand. If you can spill the beans for that, that would be great.

Also, how can I play this game without getting screwed up later on?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still need to complete this game sometime, but to answer at least some of your questions:

Fatigue isn't a thing from the start of the game, it only becomes a thing after a certain chapter (I think the game mentions you should pay attention to it at that point).

The main things that can screw you over are the lack of weapons (you need to steal stuff or else you'll quickly run out) and the fatigue system. The first can be countered by carefully considering what weapons enemies have, which ones you'd like, and keeping a decent stock of them. For the second one, you should remember to train up a lot of units, at least enough for two full teams so you swap between them for chapters. Also, don't use units that are very usefull in certain situations (like flyers) in chapters where they're not that great (indoor maps for instance). You could use a guide to check a chapter in advance who you need to recruit certain units, or you could just keep a stock of starmina potions.

Best I could come up with for now, but some other people can probably help you out more.

1 hour ago, Harvey said:

So far I'm in chapter 3 and there doesn't seem to show the fatique bar on the units nor do the energy drinks start showing up...am I missing something here or did I end up getting a different rom or something?

Also I didn't bother capturing Shiva and he didn't bother to attack me either. I completed 2x chapter oddly able to capture Leis I think...does Shiva come later at this point?

Also due to the translation patch being buggier than the early FE4 patch, I'm finding myself not able to get some of the text hard to understand. If you can spill the beans for that, that would be great.

Also, how can I play this game without getting screwed up later on?

Fatigue is shown as a number on each character. It'll be on the lower screen for each character (the one with skills, stars they have and so on). It'll affect your party from a chapter further on, where you won't be able to use units who were deployed early on with high enough fatigue (greater than their max HP). Try to keep some of the units lower

Shiva will show up later on, and can be recruited by one of the units who joins in the same chapter. Missed a chance at an early killing edge, but oh well.

There's a patch coming up, but other than that grin and bear it is the best advice I can give. 

Well, while there are guides out there (and I'd argue WoD is the best for it. The Thracia section even has an engilsh version!), I'll try to just give some suggestion to try and help playing blind. Obviously, training a large variety of units is a good idea, but I'd recommend using as many of the staff users as you can. This is a game where they have a great affect on making the game easier and the higher a staff's rank, the more fatigue it uses, especially the personal staves. Units with personal weapons (the weapons with the * rank) tend to be worth using, and for some of them there are ways of getting more of each weapon. You'll want a lot of swords, as when going indoors horses have to dismount and can only use swords (Something that I think needs fixing in a remake for sure). As for items to steal, try to get Restore staves in particular. Later chapters can have multiple units using status staves, and having some method of curing Berserk, Poison or Sleep is a good idea. I made that mistake and had to dedicate a repair use to the Restore staff. It is more useful for other things.

As you may already know, Capturing is important in this game. The game will never give you actual money and there aren't really any items that exist for the purpose of selling them either. So you will mostly have to rely on the weapons that you steal from enemies.

And since you are on chapter 3 this is probably a good time to point out that a unit without a weapon can be captured without a fight. So you need to watch out for someone like Safy who cannot use any weapons. Of course you can do the same thing to enemy priests. Also, if one of your units gets captured by an enemy, they will automatically steal everything from your unit's inventory. So usually you will want to capture that enemy in return, in order to get your stuff back.

Thieves are pretty powerful in this game. They can steal everything from an enemies' inventory as long as their Constitution is higher then that item's weight. Including the weapon that they are currently using. Although they usually don't have the con to steal most weapons. Still, Lifis has enough Con to troll some enemy mages by just taking their tomes.

Also, if you are playing an Escape map, you must let everyone escape before Leaf. Otherwise you will automatically loose those units.

As has been pointed out, Fatigue doesn't become an issue until the battle preparations screen becomes available. Because the only thing Fatique does is to prevent you from deploying that unit. So until the game actually lets you choose who to deploy, it's not something you need to worry about. Also, Leaf is completely unaffected by Fatigue.

As for the long term, Status staffs are the biggest bane of the later parts of Thracia. They have infinite range and they will always hit. The only limitation is that the user needs to have higher magic then their target. And the worst part of it: Status effects last indefinitely. Unless you cure that unit, they won't recover until the map is over. That is why it's important to have capable staff users in the late game. You need to be able to disable the enemy's staff users before they get the chance to incapacitate your entire army.

(As a side note: technically speaking status staffs actually can miss. But the accuracy of status staffs is the same as the one for the basic heal staff. And there is literally nothing the target can do to affect the odds in their favor. It depends entirely on the user's stats. So they are extremely unlikely to ever miss.)

Edited by BrightBow

12 hours ago, Harvey said:

You guys didn't warn me or tell me to keep all the important items to leif or lefis so that you can get them back in the next chapter. I though the items they held were gone so I ended up keeping them In supply.

The only items you need* are the Speed Ring (for Asbel), Lockpicks (Lifis'), Light Brand (Leif's) and Hezul Scroll (trade it around). If you stack both with many items you have to rely on luck to pull what you want and the reinforcements are going to gang on your units. 

On 10/9/2017 at 3:22 AM, Dayni said:

As for items to steal, try to get Restore staves in particular. Later chapters can have multiple units using status staves, and having some method of curing Berserk, Poison or Sleep is a good idea. I made that mistake and had to dedicate a repair use to the Restore staff. It is more useful for other things.

Restore is actually really worthless. With so many sleep staves available you can easily disable enemy loptyrians and steal their staves in return. They are so plentiful you can continually use them without care and still have some for the final chapter, where they are needed to cheese it.

So now I beated chapter 7, got Shiva and somehow I managed to get his speed growth to 15 thanks to the odo scroll.

Some questions that pop up.

1. Are the arenas in this game harder than that of FE6 where you can't grind for money?

2. Speaking of money, if capture is the main concept here, are there times where the game forces you to use money?

3. For promotion times, what is the best time to promote? Reason is that I got most of my units to 10+ levels.

4. Out of all the weapons that can be repaired, which are the ones that are worth saving up to get them repaired?

5. If the personal weapons of some units like Asbel, Finn or Leif are broken, does it make the rest of the game unwinnable?

6. Is meteor useful here? I got two and one of them is fixed.

I don't quite understand your first line but just in case this is unclear: The Odo Scroll boosts Skill. The Sety Scroll is the one to boost speed.

It's been a long time since I used Thracia's arenas but I recall them to be very unpredictable and dangerous.

I would like to note that if a weapon's durability is used up, it will not actually disappear. It will merely become "broken". And broken weapons can still be repaired at your leisure. On a related note: broken weapons also have a weight of 20, so having a broken weapon equipped makes you very vulnerable.

And while there are plenty of powerful personal weapons, none of them are needed to beat the game. So don't be afraid to use them when they seem useful.

Meteor tomes could be useful. The problem is that it's very hard to get someone to the point where they can actually use them. There isn't really a mage who starts out strong in fire magic and Weapon Rank raises very slowly in this game. It also doesn't help that Fire tomes are not all that common. For the majority of the game enemy mages will carry Thunder or Dark tomes. So personally I don't bother with them.

Edited by BrightBow

19 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

I don't quite understand your first line but just in case this is unclear: The Odo Scroll boosts Skill. The Sety Scroll is the one to boost speed.

It's been a long time since I used Thracia's arenas but I recall them to be very unpredictable and dangerous.

I would like to note that if a weapon's durability is used up, it will not actually disappear. It will merely become "broken". And broken weapons can still be repaired at your leisure. On a related note: broken weapons also have a weight of 20, so having a broken weapon equipped makes you very vulnerable.

And while there are plenty of powerful personal weapons, none of them are needed to beat the game. So don't be afraid to use them when they seem useful.

Meteor tomes could be useful. The problem is that it's very hard to get someone to the point where they can actually use them. There isn't really a mage who starts out strong in fire magic and Weapon Rank raises very slowly in this game. It also doesn't help that Fire tomes are not all that common. For the majority of the game enemy mages will carry Thunder or Dark tomes. So personally I don't bother with them.

Huh...odd that he somehow got a level up in speed stat. But whatever...

So I guess the meteor that I repaired is completely pointless? 

But for promotion time, when should that happen? Is it like in FE4?

Promotion will just give you a stat boost on top of your existing stats, it doesn't SET your stats to a pre determined amount like FE1/4. 

There are definitely enough bad guys/ experience to go 20/20 if you really want, but I think you should at least promote clerics/mages at Lvl 10, since as you've probably seen by now spd growth is kind of low, and the +6 promo bonus is higher than what a lot of them will even get in that many level ups. (In addition to new weapon access /weapon ranks)

1 hour ago, Reality said:

Promotion will just give you a stat boost on top of your existing stats, it doesn't SET your stats to a pre determined amount like FE1/4. 

There are definitely enough bad guys/ experience to go 20/20 if you really want, but I think you should at least promote clerics/mages at Lvl 10, since as you've probably seen by now spd growth is kind of low, and the +6 promo bonus is higher than what a lot of them will even get in that many level ups. (In addition to new weapon access /weapon ranks)

So..when to promote? So Asbel should promote as soon as he reaches 10?

Ok just to be clear on this cause I still don't get it, how does fatigue in this game work again?

Edited by Harvey

16 hours ago, Harvey said:

So now I beated chapter 7, got Shiva and somehow I managed to get his speed growth to 15 thanks to the odo scroll.

Some questions that pop up.

1. Are the arenas in this game harder than that of FE6 where you can't grind for money?

2. Speaking of money, if capture is the main concept here, are there times where the game forces you to use money?

3. For promotion times, what is the best time to promote? Reason is that I got most of my units to 10+ levels.

4. Out of all the weapons that can be repaired, which are the ones that are worth saving up to get them repaired?

5. If the personal weapons of some units like Asbel, Finn or Leif are broken, does it make the rest of the game unwinnable?

6. Is meteor useful here? I got two and one of them is fixed.

Arenas are quite unpredictable but they are a quick way to make money.

The only big investments you'll make in this game (at least if you warpskip a lot) is door keys, stamina drinks and Wind books. Stack as much money as possible by arena matches and selling the inventory of useless units, and buy a lot of them when you can. Other than that shops are worthless.

Promote at level 10. Asbel gains ridiculous bonuses and makes him really strong really fast. Promotion raises staff rank, and that comes really handy to get more warpbots.

Warp, warp and warp. Any other weapon is worthless to repair in comparison to the first warp.

So long as you have Warp, Sleep, and Blizzard the game is winnable. Having some uses of Pugi and Graphcalibur does help to make the endgame less tedious.

Meteor sucks. If you get them sell them. You won't miss them.

Edited by L9999

On 13-9-2017 at 3:19 PM, Harvey said:

So..when to promote? So Asbel should promote as soon as he reaches 10?

Ok just to be clear on this cause I still don't get it, how does fatigue in this game work again?

The more actions a unit performs on a map, the more fatgue points they rack up. When they have more fatigue points then their HP, you can't field them for the next map.

Fatigue points carry over for maps, but they reset to 0 when you don't deploy them for a chapter. Leif does not gain fatigue points.

54 minutes ago, Harvey said:

Beated chapter 9. So how good is selfina in the long run?

Selfina is decent at first, but her bases aren't spectacular and neither are her growths. Her main selling point is her instant usability and her high bow grade. If you want to use her for long term, I'd recommend giving her some scrolls to supplement her low growths.

Also, a good long term character is Lara. She may not be much at your point in the game, but trust, she'll be good once you hit a certain chapter that plays to her advantage.

14 hours ago, Dandy Druid said:

Selfina is decent at first, but her bases aren't spectacular and neither are her growths. Her main selling point is her instant usability and her high bow grade. If you want to use her for long term, I'd recommend giving her some scrolls to supplement her low growths.

Also, a good long term character is Lara. She may not be much at your point in the game, but trust, she'll be good once you hit a certain chapter that plays to her advantage.

Thing is..I want to use her because I personally like her as a character and she according to my knowledge is the only unit that can use high ranked bows.

So what scrolls are recommended for her?

Also, I got the elite sword. Do you need to equip it to get the elite skill or it can just be stuck in your inventory? Also, who benefits from it besides Carrion?

And whom should I use the elite manual, wrath book to?

EDIT: So I beated chapter 10....managed to steal one soft drink from one thief..though the other got away. That damn armor knight at the far right was tough to capture while at the same time, steal his fire sword...eventually, I managed to catch him but damn...so long it took.

Edited by Harvey

13 hours ago, Harvey said:

Thing is..I want to use her because I personally like her as a character and she according to my knowledge is the only unit that can use high ranked bows.

So what scrolls are recommended for her?

Also, I got the elite sword. Do you need to equip it to get the elite skill or it can just be stuck in your inventory? Also, who benefits from it besides Carrion?

And whom should I use the elite manual, wrath book to?

EDIT: So I beated chapter 10....managed to steal one soft drink from one thief..though the other got away. That damn armor knight at the far right was tough to capture while at the same time, steal his fire sword...eventually, I managed to catch him but damn...so long it took.

Just give Carrion the Elite Manual if you still have it. His growths are already pretty good, so he doesn't need any scrolls. He should have the elite skill already, so he doesn't need to carry the elite sword, which will benefit other sword characters more, especially Lifis.

As for Selfina, any scroll helps. However, I think the most beneficial for her are Hezul, Odo, Neir, and Noba. But you may have some competition for those. Here's the list btw.

7 hours ago, Dandy Druid said:

Just give Carrion the Elite Manual if you still have it. His growths are already pretty good, so he doesn't need any scrolls. He should have the elite skill already, so he doesn't need to carry the elite sword, which will benefit other sword characters more, especially Lifis.

As for Selfina, any scroll helps. However, I think the most beneficial for her are Hezul, Odo, Neir, and Noba. But you may have some competition for those. Here's the list btw.

So I heard that marreta starts at a low level. Is it easy to train her?

1 hour ago, Harvey said:

So I heard that marreta starts at a low level. Is it easy to train her?

Mareeta is very easy to train. Despite her low level she starts out with enough destructive power to kill most enemies. For one thing there is that personal Brave Sword she has. And even without it, she still has a PCC of 5. With that she can easily get a 100% critical hit rate on her second attack with just about any critical boosting weapon.

Although I would like to note that as insane as her offensive power is, the fact that her durability is rather average prevents her from being all that great.

Edited by BrightBow

Ok so this is what I don't get.

My lefis speed is 11 and yet, I wasn't able to steal the boss's weapons in chapter 10 but the knight proof....so what speed do you need to practically steal anything?

And just to be clear, what is PCC?

Edited by Harvey

37 minutes ago, Harvey said:

Ok so this is what I don't get.

My lefis speed is 11 and yet, I wasn't able to steal the boss's weapons in chapter 10 but the knight proof....so what speed do you need to practically steal anything?

In addition to your thief's speed being higher than the enemy's, your thief's build also needs to be higher than the weight of the weapon/item he's trying to steal.

The Constitution of the Thief needs to be higher then the Weight of the weapon you want to steal.

PCC stands for Pursuit Critical Coefficient. Not sure if this is a official term in any way but it's what we call it. The PCC is a hidden stat that ever character has. It multiplies your critical hit chance on your double attack.

So let's take Mareeta who starts out with 7 Skill and has a PCC of 5. On her first hit she will have a critical hit rate of 7. But if she can double attack, that second attack will have 5 times the critical hit rate of the first attack. 7 times 5 equals 35, so she would have a 35% chance to deal a critical hit.

Maybe you noticed that your characters would unusually often deal critical hits. The reason for that is the PCC.

Since the PCC is a hidden value, you might want to check the PCC of your units up on this page:

https://serenesforest.net/thracia-776/characters/base-stats/

Edited by BrightBow