My FE5 guidance

Harvey

On 16/09/2017 at 11:54 AM, Jave said:

In addition to your thief's speed being higher than the enemy's, your thief's build also needs to be higher than the weight of the weapon/item he's trying to steal.

Oh great....so who has good speed and build to do something like that?

Ok so I only managed to get the armourslayer and I think a chest key. Got Tina break her thief staff....so am I screwed for not getting the charge manual, the knight crest and the shield ring?

Also, how worthy is the thief staff?

Edited by Harvey

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Thief Staff is pretty awesome. Thieves are held back by their build but this staff can literally steal anything as long as the user's magic is higher then that of the target. Tina starts out with very low magic but since non-mages usually have no magic at all, that's not much of an handicap. And since Magic and Resistance are the same thing in this game, you can simply boost Tina's magic with Holy Water. Keep in mind, even if the staff is broken you can still use the Repair Staff on it.

Anyway, this map is weird. My usual approach is to warp Lara to Pahn to talk with him on turn 1 and then have Pahn steal Tina's Thief Staff to prevent her from using it up (because for some reason she keeps attacking even after her boss has switched sides and everyone is leaving) until I can reach her with Safy. But that way Trewd leaves the map before I can get to him. So I'm not actually sure how to best approach this one.

But most importantly, while both Lifis and Lara can recruit Pahn, you will want to have Lara recruit him in order for Lara to promote into a dancer. While her stats will drop as a result, she will keep all her thief abilities.

Edited by BrightBow

8 hours ago, BrightBow said:

The Thief Staff is pretty awesome. Thieves are held back by their build but this staff can literally steal anything as long as the user's magic is higher then that of the target. Tina starts out with very low magic but since non-mages usually have no magic at all, that's not much of an handicap. And since Magic and Resistance are the same thing in this game, you can simply boost Tina's magic with Holy Water. Keep in mind, even if the staff is broken you can still use the Repair Staff on it.

Anyway, this map is weird. My usual approach is to warp Lara to Pahn to talk with him on turn 1 and then have Pahn steal Tina's Thief Staff to prevent her from using it up (because for some reason she keeps attacking even after her boss has switched sides and everyone is leaving) until I can reach her with Safy. But that way Trewd leaves the map before I can get to him. So I'm not actually sure how to best approach this one.

But most importantly, while both Lifis and Lara can recruit Pahn, you will want to have Lara recruit him in order for Lara to promote into a dancer. While her stats will drop as a result, she will keep all her thief abilities.

So I need the thief staff to like beat the game or something?

Also, is the light brand still relevant at this point alongside the brave lance?

Edited by Harvey

10 hours ago, Harvey said:

So I need the thief staff to like beat the game or something?

Also, is the light brand still relevant at this point alongside the brave lance?

Pretty sure you don't need the thief staff to beat the game. It's a pretty cool thing to have, but you can skip it if you really don't want to go back for it.

you only need 7 door keys. If you have any lockpicks left you can also just slowly use one of the thieves to deal with it. Many of the later shops outright sell keys, and unlike GBA games they are actually really affordable  the only thing you have to keep in mind is the number of items characters can carry and that they can't purchase things at all when on full (sending straight to the convoy) like in later games.

Also, there many ways to get through the final map. If you run out of keys and lockpicks, Warping is also an option.

You can get plenty of Warp staffs in the later maps, and you can get spare Unlock staffs in Ch.20.

On 9/18/2017 at 0:45 PM, Harvey said:

I'm paranoid because I don't think I have enough door keys and chest keys to beat the final chapter....so yeah, that's my big problem. Currently in Chapter 14.

You're worrying too much. The final chapter has 6 doors in it. Even if you have insufficient keys for whatever reason, there's ways around it like Warp and Rewarp.

You have to actively try to impede yourself to make the game unbeatable or leave 90% of your characters dead (which most people don't as they just restart when someone dies).

The one chapter that could pose the biggest problem to you is 24x and there's a map available that shows the tiles where the problem lies.

12 hours ago, Dr. Tarrasque said:

You have to actively try to impede yourself to make the game unbeatable or leave 90% of your characters dead (which most people don't as they just restart when someone dies).

In chapter 4, My Lena got captured by a reinforcement that lost the lockpick and because of that, I had to restart the chapter. I don't know If its my fault for this or if its the enemy reinforcement that shows up AND gets to move as well.

But yeah I got your point though.

I really recommend you to memorize the character names better not to be treated like a dummy. It's not the first time when I remember Regault and Leis (two different characters are mixed in one), and now Lena, a character from different parts.

Anyways as for the problem in chapter 4 ambush reinforcements are a thing so place Lara (her actual name) just out of any enemies's attack ranges and let Lifis (the name of the thief) do his job even if it will cost some turns. Unlike her he can take two hits and does a bit damage at least.

The actual tough part of this chapter is after you have opened the door because a "nice" surprise is waiting for you.
...But it's actually nothing compared to the gaiden after that, easily the most frustrating chapter  in the game tied with 8x.

Edited by Aya Shameimaru

43 minutes ago, Aya Shameimaru said:

I really recommend you to memorize the character names better not to be treated like a dummy. It's not the first time when I remember Regault and Leis (two different characters are mixed in one), and now Lena, a character from different parts.

Anyways as for the problem in chapter 4 ambush reinforcements are a thing so place Lara (her actual name) just out of any enemies's attack ranges and let Lifis (the name of the thief) do his job even if it will cost some turns. Unlike her he can take two hits and does a bit damage at least.

The actual tough part of this chapter is after you have opened the door because a "nice" surprise is waiting for you.
...But it's actually nothing compared to the gaiden after that, easily the most frustrating chapter  in the game tied with 8x.

Oh sorry about that. But I beated that chapter.

So I beaten chapter 14x and have managed to steal a bunch of rewarps. So what do they do and is it any better than warp?

7 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Warp Staffs are used to teleport other people. Rewarp teleports the person actually using the staff.

Ok so isn't that riskier than warps? Because only the staffbot can teleport itself so do you get a unit powerful enough to teleport and solo maps?

Just now, Harvey said:

Ok so isn't that riskier than warps? Because only the staffbot can teleport itself so do you get a unit powerful enough to teleport and solo maps?

Maybe you will. But yeah, I would say that this staff generally isn't all that useful for the player.

2 hours ago, Harvey said:

There's a unit late game who can do just that. He's broken. Ludicrously so.

Rewarp is great on a staffbot who can fight, or for one to catch up after warping other units. Other than that, it's not particularly necessary for beating this game. Probably best to keep 2 or 3 at least, and if you want to sell the rest (in the game where it's least necessary to buy things) it's not the worst thing to sell. Fun to use, but it's not an item you need to beat this game.

So I decided to go to chapter 16a. I'm in the path of seizing the throne when that main horse guy that holds a Aware manual(sorry. I can't get his name right on my head) came from the left side.

Is it worth getting the aware book? who benefits from that skill the most?

Currently on chapter 22....god help me.

Edited by Harvey

4 hours ago, Dr. Tarrasque said:

No one in particular needs the awareness book. Just apply it to one of your better combat units you use a lot so that he/she doesn't have to worry about enemy skills.

Thanks for the tip.

Any idea how to beat chapter 22? I have plenty of warps, some silence and I guess some use for thief staff but I don't have the rescue staff.

I tried using sleuf to get it but he often doesn't get double move...you know, that song note that units create to move again?

If someone enters his range, and is then rescued, Cyas also leaves, though if that happens the bridge still goes. Issue being the lack of rescue staves. If you have the Sleep staff, Rein can be put to sleep (especially if you don't have Olwen anymore) and the silence staff can be used to limit the enemy staves and possibly the boss with the liberal use of pure waters. If you want to warpskip it, you'll need to have at least two staff users (likely more for killing the boss) to do it, and the boss has to be hit from range at first.

I did it by warping and rescuing Olwen (after talking to her brother), and having fliers carry allies across the gap, though that leaves the units across the gap vulnerable.

One of the houses right at the start even gives you a Warp Staff. So you are clearly expected to use them.

My favorite way of dealing with this map is to use the Thief Staff to steal the Berserk Staff from Coen, then use the Berserk Staff on Reinhardt. If you do that, the Mage Knights will kill themselves trying to attack Reinhardt. And Reinhardt himself will get killed by the Ballista immediately afterwards.

Of course that way you don't get the Holy Sword for Olwen.

Edited by BrightBow

Most efficient way how to beat this chapter:

1. warp Asvel to try killing the boss or - safest way - steal the blizzard tome from the boss with the thief staff and warp anyone with high enough build to capture him
  2. warp Leif to seize in the first turn

optional tasks:

• warp someone to the house in the south east to get the rescue staff
  • steal Reinhardt's dime thunder and master sword with the thief staff (use Lara to get both)
  • warp Olwen to let her talk to Reinhardt to get the holy sword
  • steal the elite sword with the thief staff (you need two turns if you also want to steal Reinhardt's equipment)

If you don't have enough uses of thief staves left but still have repair uses left, repair the thief staff!

Edited by Aya Shameimaru

If you want to cheese the map, steal Cowen's Berserk and then berserk Reinhart. He'll kill his entire squad and he'll take a potshot at Cowen himself if you can. Mine actually managed to kill him, which made Cyas leave the turn after.

Not really since the stat curve for the last 4 chapters kind of drops in the players favor.

It's probably best to use it (multiple times) to deal with a slightly annoying group of druids in Chapter 24

Chapter 23- there's really nothing in this chapter you haven't seen before- You can sleep the druids if you want. The recruitable charather of this map is basically this game;s Athos character, which means that he's semi-invincible meant to make sure you can beat the game even if you got here with a heavily damaged army. Of course with all the charathers alive, this basically means you get a free super-broken unit, no reason not to use him except to avoid the ridiculous animation time on his attacks