Which is your favorite Fire Emblem main series game?

Ansem

Favorite FE Main Franchise Game   

59 members have voted

1. 1. Game?

• FE1, Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light
    • FE2, Gaiden
    • FE3, Mystery of the Emblem
    • FE4, Genealogy of the Holy War
    • FE5, Thracia 776
    • FE6, The Binding Blade
    • FE7, The Blazing Sword
    • FE8, The Sacred Stones
    • FE9, Path of Radiance
    • FE10, Radiant Dawn
    • FE11, Shadow Dragon
    • FE12, New Mystery of the Emblem
    • FE13, Awakening
    • FE14, Fates
    • FE15, Shadows of Valentia

echoes

mainly because of the characters, but the overall gameplay was pretty fun to me too and I think whatever fire emblem games follow should use a lot of the same ideas, even though that's not likely since a lot of them are from or tie into stuff from gaiden that's not like in any other fire emblem

Shadows of Valentia is my favorite, mainly because of how different it's mechanics are (i really liked dungeons, villages, and Mages having their own spell lists, as well as Arts being able to be used whenever instead of leaving it to chance) and the fact that full voice acting really, really helped out the characters. I also find it's soundtrack to be the best in the series and the battle animations are as good as the GBA animations. Alm is my favorite Lord for being so damn likable. In fact, this cast of playable characters is my favorite. There's only one playable character i don't like and that's Deen and it's because i can't take him seriously with his Squidward voice. And edgelord should not sound like Squidward.

Of course, Shadows of Valentia isn't perfect. Map design is mediocre (though leagues better than FE4's maps) and Alm's personality, while likable, does go against the game's themes. But it's not enough to stop Shadows of Valentia from being my favorite game in the series.

Prior to this, my favorite game in the series was actually a tie between both Elibe games.

This is really shallow, but the one that had the most dialogue for my single favourite character even though I think there are other obvious glaring issues with it LOL

(Fe9.)

But hey, there's no wrong reason for liking something, right?

Radiant Dawn, for the excellent gameplay and pretty good story, and for the many awesome character designs too. Path of Radiance is a very very close second though, I actually think it has a slightly better story, just less interesting gameplay.

Edited by Anacybele

Note that I haven't played/finished FE4, 5, 6, 10, 11, and 12.

Of the games I've beaten, Blazing Blade is my go to favorite. I love the world of Elibe, enjoy the story, and I think the characters are great, with Eliwood, Hector, and Lyn being some of my favorite Lords in the series. Gameplay wise, the GBA take on FE is my favorite and I think Blazing Blade is the most solid of the GBA games. Runner ups include Path of Radiance and Shadows of Valentia for similar reasons; Blazing Blade beat them for me simply out of preference.

Awakening, largely because it was my first game in the franchise.

However, beyond that, when I first played, I enjoyed the gameplay, story, and characters. Plus, I found that it had a large amount of replayability, and I have played through numerous times. By now, after playing Fates, Echoes, and FE7, I certainly do see some of the flaws, but I can look past them still. The game will always hold a special place in my heart.

Echoes was good, yes, but I've noticed that there isn't much replayability. Er, in the least, the gameplay is difficult and, well, annoying. And the numerous difficulty spikes? I still haven't completed the Thabes Labyrinth.

It's not like there's this field in our profiles where we can advertise it. :P:

Anyway, mine is still Shadow Dragon.  Simple enough to run through quickly, but versatile enough to be funny.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Ok, i noticed something wrong with the poll. FE1 is marked as Mystery of the Emblem when it's actually supposed to be Shadow Dragon and Blade of Light. FE3 is Mystery of the Emblem. New Mystery of the Emblem is FE12.

@libtard snowflake you might wanna fix that.

gotcha, didnt know the names of these 

1 hour ago, eclipse said:

It's not like there's this field in our profiles where we can advertise it. :P:

that inspired the topic. i wanted to see which one was /the/ favorite

53 minutes ago, Aya Shameimaru said:

I'd recommend to separate FE14 since its part has a total different quality to most people.

i'd like to

but no

i went with 15. always liked 4 before that and recently thought 6 was pretty wholesome as well. 15 was a refresher for me. beautiful art and dialogue. music score was great, though i wish the map themes were more variegated 

Mystery of the Emblem

Two games in one, expansive and deep worldbuilding, unit customization in the form of the Starsphere Shards, Marth, simple and digestible stories, a great soundtrack, memorable characters, and some pretty alright and oftentimes creative map design, all wrapped in that glorious 90s Retro Charm. 

It's a little rough around the edges, I won't lie. Book 1's story is rather barebones, unit balance is wacky, and some maps just aren't good. But damn if the game isn't a fun, engaging, and memorable experience.

Edited by Pixelman

If I want to have nice, relaxing, rush-through-the-game experience, FE9 is my favorite. I like the story, and I can't think of any part of the game that would really bore or frustrate me. The one downside is that the game is rather slow, since you can't fully turn off animations. Runner-up in this category would be Sacred Stones, but this one does have a few maps that I find annoying in some way.

My favorite challenging FE game would be Binding Blade, and since I've put PoR in my profile, I voted for it in the poll. ;) I play it with more emphasis on the "strategy" part instead of the "RPG" part, which allows me not to be bothered by low-ish growth rates and the wonky balance between player units. Runner-up: New Mystery. Kris is atrocious in terms of personality and plot, but it's fun to mess with the customization. Reclassing hasn't quite found its balance, but I love how it gives some units unexpected niches (Hunter!Draug the glass cannon, for example).

Shadows of Valentia is the best. Absolutely gorgeous soundtrack, Heritors of Arcadia fits so well, Hidari's art is A++, the voice acting is probably the best I've ever heard, with the best being Ian Sinclair's fantastic performance as Berkut. Engaging story, considering it's from freaking 1992. The cast is fantastic, but it is a shame that there are so few supports. Gameplay can be a bit tedious, but play with animations off and it's amazing. Dungeons allowed me to dabble into something that I don't really do in gaming, and it reminded me a lot of TMS.

As for runner up...I really enjoyed Blazing Blade and Awakening...

Tho it may say Shadows of Valentia for me, Shadow Dragon was the beginning, along with the one FE game where I had the most playthroughs (even if I Awakening has the most hours clocked due to DLC). The remake trilogy is definitely my top 3, with New Mystery possibly beating SD, but is hampered for the fact my computer doesn't handle emulation as smoothly and as a result, have only ever done 2 or 3 complete run throughs despite loving the game.

It'd go something like SoV > NM = SD. I can't accurately choose between them, but for the sake of the poll, I'm going SD

Edited by Motendra

Is it bad to admit that I saw the GBA games getting shafted in the favorite starting character group thread, and right now I am deflating a little bit because of the renewed support for Blazing Sword?

My favorite games will always be those with what I find to be engaging gameplay, although admittedly, I would find playing FE11 on NM to be just as excruciating as playing Sacred Stones. While the harder games in the seriees are my favorites, it's mostly because I believe the difficulty is neccesary for the mechanics to reach their full potential- many FE games have well-developed mechanics that could have made great games, but end up as only good due to being able to ignore the systems when you can trivialize the game by using only a few parts of your options...

I have to go with Shadows of Valentia because of the top-notch presentation. The music, the voicework, the animations, everything about Shadows of Valentia is a beautiful piece of art. However, while I did enjoy its (updated) gameplay and story, they could definitely use more work. The map designs in SoV are terrible, and while the story for me is better than Fates and perhaps on par with Awakening, it could still be improved. The DLC maps showed how SoV's mechanics could have played with "better map design" and having different objectives.

Honorable mentions to Fates: Conquest for having some of the best gameplay in the series, as well as Radiant Dawn for it's excellent gameplay and presentation (outside voice acting).

Binding Blade will always be my favorite, it was such a great experience once I got to play it for the first time, even after playing FE13,8, and 14. I love the characters, the world of Elibe, the presentation... It all just holds a special place in my heart, and was when I really got invested in the franchise.

Honorable Mention: Genealogy of the Holy War, such a grand tale with another cast and world that I just love so much.

New Mystery for sure. Good maps that had enough quirks to feel unique but still fun, much more fleshed out characters thanks to supports (and one of the best implementations of the support system overall), great music, it's just all around amazing. Even the graphics are improved, with most of the weirder portraits from Shadow Dragon being fixed up or outright replaced (except Linde's. I don't know why her portrait was changed. The new one is fine, but it's not really any better or worse than the first one. Oh well).

Honorable mention goes to Genealogy. I actually prefer most aspects of Genealogy over New Mystery (characters are a bit better, art style looks nicer overall, a more crisp and memorable soundtrack, a more engaging story), but the gameplay really bring it down. New Mystery is still my second favorite in most of these aspects, so the much better better gameplay just pushes it above Genealogy for me.

I know it says Blazing Sword next to my name (mostly nostalgia filter, I'll admit), but I started Radiant Dawn recently and... wow. Awesome maps and gameplay, great story, deep characters... Once I finish it, I'll probably edit my profile. Unless, of course, there is something stupid waiting for me in Part 4...

Runner ups would probably be Sacred Stones (again, nostalgia, but it also has really good gameplay, great characters, etc. Shame its as easy as it is...), Fates (most advanced gameplay in the series, but a lacking story), and Binding Blade (liked the story and villains, but the lack of variety with the maps and the bland characters means it suffers).

I have yet to play Echoes. This thread is making me want to go out and buy it now... but I'll wait until I'm finished the games I'm on.

Path of Radiance. Great plot, good gameplay, interesting characters. The units were quite well-balanced; there still were good units and bad units, but even the bad units were worth using. I liked the main characters; I liked Ike, I liked Elincia, I liked the Greil Mercenaries, I thought they were all well-written. I like that there was actual character growth and development; something that seems to be lacking in a lot of popular media. I also like how almost all the characters were established characters, rather than one-quirk wonders. Even Ilyana is an established character. Sure, her most notable and annoying trait was her extreme metabolism, but the reason she's able to be recruited is because she's a member of the traveling caravan, and the base conversation with her when the group's on the ship reveals that she always got seasick whenever they traveled by sea.

Not only are most of the characters themselves well-established, but their interactions are all great. I cannot remember a single bad support conversation or base conversation, if there even was one. 

I admit there is nostalgia, since it was my first FE game. But, even without that, it would still be my favourite FE game.

Edited by vanguard333