Nintendo Direct Sept. 13th - Discussion and Reveals

Anacybele

The rumor turned out to be true! Also, Nintendo of Europe said new Super Mario Odyssey details would be shown. PLAYABLE LUIGI?! PLZ NINTENDO! I might cry if he's left out after we got to use Luigi in the SMG games (and of course, SM3D World as well).

My other hopes:

- Shadow Dragon characters for FE Warriors (also English reveals of the History Mode and the characters we only saw in Japanese).
- Pokemon Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon stuff. We know barely anything about these two for some reason. It's freaking Pokemon, I don't get why GF is holding so much back here. Maybe they're afraid of leaks? That IS rather understandable, but still.
- Official FE Switch announcement
- Official title and stuff for Yoshi Switch
- More info on Zelda BotW DLC. We know there's a new story coming involving the four Champions and their Amiibo, but what exactly?

Beyond this, I don't really have much to ask for here. :P

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only heard the rumors yesterday, this was a pleasant surprise. My Fire Emblem related hopes are definitely unlikely; the most likely is FE Switch info and my least likely are localization/remake of Japan-only games (It says 3DS, it could happen. It probably won't happen, but I like to hope damn it.).

Otherwise, there may be some quick Metroid: Samus Returns info, I'm expecting some info on that Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga remake, and FE Warriors will probably get some press. Of course Odyssey is gonna get coverage and that game has been looking great ever since E3.

10 minutes ago, Thane said:

45 minutes is a damn long time. While they'll most likely just focus on the games coming out this year, I'd love some information about Fire Emblem, even though I realize that's very unlikely.

I can see Fire Emblem Warriors getting some info. It is the only other big release for this year outside of Odyssey and Skyrim for Switch. Fire Emblem Switch on the other hand, that will probably be December or November at the earliest.

Just now, Tolvir said:

I can see Fire Emblem Warriors getting some info. It is the only other big release for this year outside of Odyssey and Skyrim for Switch. Fire Emblem Switch on the other hand, that will probably be December or November at the earliest.

Don't forget Breath of the Wild DLC and Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon. I also suspect they might finally be ready to talk more about Animal Crossing Mobile.

For regular Fire Emblem, I really just want a Fates-style teaser trailer to get discussions going, and so we can see the art style and the like. Again, I understand that it most likely won't happen, but dammit, a man can dream.

Just now, Thane said:

Don't forget Breath of the Wild DLC and Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon. I also suspect they might finally be ready to talk more about Animal Crossing Mobile.

For regular Fire Emblem, I really just want a Fates-style teaser trailer to get discussions going, and so we can see the art style and the like. Again, I understand that it most likely won't happen, but dammit, a man can dream.

One is DLC, the other is a re release. Not discrediting them, but as far as actual game releases go, FE Warriors and Odyssey are really the only 2 big ones left this year for Nintendo.

I did forget about the Animal Crossing mobile game, so I can definitely see that being announced. We were supposed to get both of them this year.

Hopefully we see a trailer before the end of the year. We don't even have a name yet, so even just a name drop would be nice. A short trailer like Fates did would be great though.

1 minute ago, Tolvir said:

One is DLC, the other is a re release.

Uh, Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon are not remakes or re-releases. I originally thought they were remakes, but that turned out to not be true.

Just now, Tolvir said:

One is DLC, the other is a re release. Not discrediting them, but as far as actual game releases go, FE Warriors and Odyssey are really the only 2 big ones left this year for Nintendo.

DLC for one of the most critically acclaimed titles in a long time, and Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon are guaranteed to sell millions on the virtue of being main series Pokémon games. You shouldn't underestimate that.

Then there's Pokkén Tournament, of course, which is a port, but I'm sure they'll push it as well.

2 minutes ago, Tolvir said:

Hopefully we see a trailer before the end of the year. We don't even have a name yet, so even just a name drop would be nice. A short trailer like Fates did would be great though.

I know it might be hard to remember after the writing controversies, but the pre-Fates hype was incredible, in no small part due to the amazing trailers I'm sure. I'd love for that sort of enthusiasm on the forums again.

I am very excited, my god. Unfortunatly it is LITERALLY in the middle of the night for me. (12 AM, god damnit), so I wont be able to watch live, because you know, college exists.

I am almost certain we will get USUM information. We have almost nothing and the game comes out in 2 months! Also, fire emblem switch, please.

Just now, Anacybele said:

Uh, Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon are not remakes or re-releases. I originally thought they were remakes, but that turned out to not be true.

Its a rerelease. Its no different than what Square did recently with Final Fantasy 12, repackage the game with a ton of new stuff and slap a title on it. Now you have a new game. Not attacking it at all by the way, just saying that it is really just a re release.

1 minute ago, Thane said:

DLC for one of the most critically acclaimed titles in a long time, and Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon are guaranteed to sell millions on the virtue of being main series Pokémon games. You shouldn't underestimate that.

Then there's Pokkén Tournament, of course, which is a port, but I'm sure they'll push it as well.

I know it might be hard to remember after the writing controversies, but the pre-Fates hype was incredible, in no small part due to the amazing trailers I'm sure. I'd love for that sort of enthusiasm on the forums again.

Sure, but they also arent a new full game releasing. Im sure they will get some focus in the Direct, but cant see too much, maybe 5 mintues for BoTW and 10 for Sun and Moon. As far as Warriors goes I am really not expecting much. Maybe another trailer or two at most. Outside of that, I think they will reserve a lot for TGS and a full Direct for it in October for the US.

Fates hype was definitely huge. I still remember all the videos and threads of people analyzing the trailer and saying what they were thinking was going on, or who the characters were. That would be great to see again. It would be nice to see the FE Switch forum blow up a bit.

It's nice to be getting a Direct after so long.

What i want to see the most out of this is a release date for Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Super Mario Odyssey is nice and all but my Xenoblade bias demands that i put Xenoblade Chronicles 2 at the top of my priority list.

Anyway, as for what i expect, definitely some Odyssey stuff (i just hope they don't show off too much), some FE Warriors stuff, more stuff on Ultra Sun&Moon (to see if it's actually worth the purchase), some Pokken stuff, and of course, some unannounced titles.

I do want to see more of Dragon: Marked for Death. It was announced at the recent Nindies presentation and i want to know more.

I doubt we'll get FE Switch news but i'd be nice.

Sure, but they also arent a new full game releasing. Im sure they will get some focus in the Direct, but cant see too much, maybe 5 mintues for BoTW and 10 for Sun and Moon.

That's literally a third of the Direct.

I really want info on Xenoblade Chronicles 2 they said at E3 that it was coming in December so this would be perfect for more info on it.  Of course I would love info on SMT V, Bayonetta 3 and FE Switch but I won't hold my breath.  Honestly if I get Minerva playable in FE Warriors and info on XBC2 I will be happy.  

Oooo this is very exciting. Hopefully they'll have something about FE Switch. I'm already sold on Super Mario Odyssey so I really don't care if they show off more of that game. As for what else could be shown off, meh, not really hyped for anything else they might show off.

8 minutes ago, Thane said:

That's literally a third of the Direct.

Yeah that is true, maybe around 5 for Sun and Moon then? Really running myself in circles here.

We also have a Smash Bros Switch port that is currently missing, so that could be revealed in the Direct as well.

Edited by Tolvir

31 minutes ago, Tolvir said:

Its a rerelease. Its no different than what Square did recently with Final Fantasy 12, repackage the game with a ton of new stuff and slap a title on it. Now you have a new game. Not attacking it at all by the way, just saying that it is really just a re release.

No, it is NOT. It's not the same game at all, it's an alternate, DIFFERENT story in the same setting. By your logic, RD is a re-release of PoR because it's in the same setting with a lot of the same characters, even though the story is different.

No, it is NOT. It's not the same game at all, it's an alternate, DIFFERENT story in the same setting. By your logic, RD is a re-release of PoR because it's in the same setting with a lot of the same characters, even though the story is different.

That is the issue, no one really knows how to define this thing. Let me explain for a second.

Sequels are games that are a direct continuation of a story. Typically taking place in the future, whether directly after the main story or years after. For example Radiant Dawn as you mentioned is a sequel. It contains many of the same characters, but with a story that builds off of what Path of Radiance set up.

A re release or enhanced edition is a release of the game that enhances it. Fixes some of its issues, adds in new things to the game, typically fixes up graphics, etc. It does not, however, touch the story.

Pokemon Ultra Sun and Moon isnt doing either of those. Its obviously a rerelease of the game. Same engine, same pokemon, same mechanics, and some new content to throw around. But when you look at the story, it isnt continuing off of Sun and Moon's, so it rules out a sequel. It also is tampering with the story and changing it, which rules out a complete re release.

Its some odd thing caught in the middle of the two. Easiest way for me to describe it is re release, but some may call it a sequel. In reality, its neither, but there isnt exactly a term to describe what this is.

That is the issue, no one really knows how to define this thing. Let me explain for a second.

Sequels are games that are a direct continuation of a story. Typically taking place in the future, whether directly after the main story or years after. For example Radiant Dawn as you mentioned is a sequel. It contains many of the same characters, but with a story that builds off of what Path of Radiance set up.

A re release or enhanced edition is a release of the game that enhances it. Fixes some of its issues, adds in new things to the game, typically fixes up graphics, etc. It does not, however, touch the story.

Pokemon Ultra Sun and Moon isnt doing either of those. Its obviously a rerelease of the game. Same engine, same pokemon, same mechanics, and some new content to throw around. But when you look at the story, it isnt continuing off of Sun and Moon's, so it rules out a sequel. It also is tampering with the story and changing it, which rules out a complete re release.

Its some odd thing caught in the middle of the two. Easiest way for me to describe it is re release, but some may call it a sequel. In reality, its neither, but there isnt exactly a term to describe what this is.

Sorry, but I simply do not agree with you at all and firmly believe these are not rereleases. Also, it was confirmed that these games actually start two years after the original Sun and Moon, but in a different timeline. As in "what if the player didn't move to Alola until two years after Lillie escaped from the Aether Foundation?" So they're closer to sequels. Also, it's still Pokemon and Pokemon is always big.

Edited by Anacybele

Sorry, but I simply do not agree with you at all and firmly believe these are not rereleases. Also, it's still Pokemon and Pokemon is always big.

Never said its a full re release, its something in between a re release and a sequel.

Also never said Pokemon wasnt big.

Just now, Tolvir said:

Never said its a full re release, its something in between a re release and a sequel.

Also never said Pokemon wasnt big.

You said these are not big releases, so you basically said Pokemon isn't big here. Also, see my post edit.

13 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Sorry, but I simply do not agree with you at all and firmly believe these are not rereleases. Also, it was confirmed that these games actually start two years after the original Sun and Moon, but in a different timeline. As in "what if the player didn't move to Alola until two years after Lillie escaped from the Aether Foundation?" So they're closer to sequels. Also, it's still Pokemon and Pokemon is always big.

Its an alternate timeline, which is what is so odd about it. Sequels typically dont do that. Only example I can think of is Everquest 2 compared to Everquest, where the story is that its an alternate timeline. Difference here is that EQ2 is entirely its own game with its own classes, races, locations, gameplay, engine, etc. Sun and Moon and Ultra Sun and Moon, at a purely gameplay standpoint, are the same game with a few new additions, much like a re release.

What makes it different from a re release is an entirely new story, one that isnt exactly a sequel, nor a prequel, but a parallel alternate timeline.

11 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

You said these are not big releases, so you basically said Pokemon isn't big here. Also, see my post edit.

When compared to Mario Odyssey and Fire Emblem Warriors, no its not as big of a release. It isnt featuring a brand new game with all new content, new engine, new gameplay, its not like this is doing something absolutely new for the Pokemon franchise like Odyssey being an open world Mario, or FE Warriors being what it is. Its Pokemon Sun and Moon, with a new story and some gameplay tweaks and maybe a few additions. Thats it. In no way does that mean Pokemon isnt big, its a world wide phenomenon. Come back next year, when we are likely getting a Pokemon Switch game, and that will probably be one of the biggest releases of the year.

All I am saying is that when Ultra Moon and Sun are compared to the other 2 new Nintendo games releasing this year, it isnt as big of a release.

Edited by Tolvir

Its an alternate timeline, which is what is so odd about it. Sequels typically dont do that. Only example I can think of is Everquest 2 compared to Everquest, where the story is that its an alternate timeline. Difference here is that EQ2 is entirely its own game with its own classes, races, locations, gameplay, engine, etc. Sun and Moon and Ultra Sun and Moon, at a purely gameplay standpoint, are the same game with a few new additions, much like a re release.

What makes it different from a re release is an entirely new story, one that isnt exactly a sequel, nor a prequel, but a parallel alternate timeline.

And this is why I consider them closer to sequels. We just won't agree here, okay? Let's agree to disagree.

When compared to Mario Odyssey and Fire Emblem Warriors, not its not as big of a release. It isnt featuring a brand new game with all new content, new engine, new gameplay, its not like this is doing something absolutely new for the Pokemon franchise like Odyssey being an open world Mario, or FE Warriors being what it is. Its Pokemon Sun and Moon, with a new story and some gameplay tweaks and maybe a few additions. Thats it. In no way does that mean Pokemon isnt big, its a world wide phenomenon. Come back next year, when we are likely getting a Pokemon Switch game, and that will probably be one of the biggest releases of the year.

All I am saying is that when Ultra Moon and Sun are compared to the other 2 new Nintendo games releasing this year, it isnt as big of a release.

Well, I still consider them as big of a release mainly because it's Pokemon, the most popular and best selling game franchise ever, I believe.

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

And this is why I consider them closer to sequels. We just won't agree here, okay? Let's agree to disagree.

Well, I still consider them as big of a release mainly because it's Pokemon, the most popular and best selling game franchise ever, I believe.

You are missing my point here. Yes, it is a big release. Its Pokemon, like I said a worldwide phenomenon that has a balloon in every major parade during the holidays. Thats huge. But is Ultra Sun and Moon as big of a release as Super Mario Odyssey?