Do critical hits never miss?

I just got the game a few days ago, and I am enjoying it. But I have noticed that EVERY time I get a critical hit, it always lands, even when the accuracy of my attack is at like 31/100. Do critical hits have perfect accuracy, or have I just been extremely lucky? 

Edited by DisobeyedCargo

I know they could in Gaiden, because I recall Alm's critical hit animation played once and he still missed.  Not sure how it is in Echoes, though.

Otherwise, I'm pretty sure criticals have consistently been guaranteed hits in most games.

6 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

I just got the game a few days ago, and I am enjoying it. But I have noticed that EVERY time I get a critical hit, it always lands, even when the accuracy of my attack is at like 31/100. Do critical hits have perfect accuracy, or have I just been extremely lucky? 

In at least all the 3DS games, as far as I know, the random number generation for critical hits is only rolled AFTER the RNG is rolled for hits.    A critical hit is only allowed to happen if the attack would hit in the first place. 

In this sense, at least as far as I know, in these games critical hits DO have perfect accuracy, but its not because criticals are making you more accurate but rather because criitcals are only ALLOWED to happen in the first place if you were going to hit anyways.  So its the consequence of the rules, not the cause of the accuracy. 

not sure how it is for echoes but I'm pretty sure in past games the RNG rolled for the critical once after it rolls for hit chance, so if you get a critical you've already rolled a hit

edit: lol ninja'd

Edited by Ciarre

As a result, actual critical hit% out of all attacks is hit% x critical%.  

Example, 50% hit and 50% critical gives you critical hits 25% of the time - but every single critical hit that you see WILL hit because they couldn't trigger in the first place unless you were getting the hit.   

5 minutes ago, astrophys said:

In at least all the 3DS games, as far as I know, the random number generation for critical hits is only rolled AFTER the RNG is rolled for hits.    A critical hit is only allowed to happen if the attack would hit in the first place. 

In this sense, at least as far as I know, in these games critical hits DO have perfect accuracy, but its not because criticals are making you more accurate but rather because criitcals are only ALLOWED to happen in the first place if you were going to hit anyways.  So its the consequence of the rules, not the cause of the accuracy. 

Ahhhh okay, so that's how it works.

i kept thinking I had like insane luck or something.

12 hours ago, LucarioGamer812 said:

I know for fates it does, so I'm guessing it applies to the other 3ds games as well (which is why I personally think Charlotte is op in fates due to that logic, yeah hit rate comes first but when you have a 100% crit rate and crits are only calculated after hit rate I'd say it's pretty good)

Wait...I. think you are confused. 

A stated 100% critical rate does nothing if you have 0% hate rate [100% of your hits will be criticals, but you won't get hits].  

So Charlotte doesn't help here. 

12 hours ago, LucarioGamer812 said:

I know for fates it does, so I'm guessing it applies to the other 3ds games as well (which is why I personally think Charlotte is op in fates due to that logic, yeah hit rate comes first but when you have a 100% crit rate and crits are only calculated after hit rate I'd say it's pretty good)

Charlotte having a 100% Crit rate but 0% hit will miss.

Always. Has been for every game.

You'd think after 27 freaking years we'd stop people from debating this considering on some games we have game code logic saying they don't roll critical hits if the hit roll is a miss.