[SRPG Studio][Steam]Clarent Saga: Tactics

david.nguyen

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best of luck with your Kickstarter!

I own a copy of the game on steam, but unfortunately a lot of design decisions in Clarent Saga weren't to my taste: a lot of it went against what I personally find fun in Fire Emblem-like games. Still, even though the game didn't match my preferences, I wish you the best for your project. It's nice to see a (nearly) finished and big SRPG project like this: I'm sure an immense amount of effort and time went into this. I hope you'll be successful!

Edited by Ayra

Thank you very much Ayra! You don't like the gameplay even with the rebalance?

By the way, you have expressed interest in SRPG Studio way before me,

I didn't play Guardian of Valeira, maybe I should try it someday^^. Yes, it was so time-consuming but I had a lot of fun!

44 minutes ago, david.nguyen said:

Thank you very much Ayra! You don't like the gameplay even with the rebalance?

By the way, you have expressed interest in SRPG Studio way before me,

I didn't play Guardian of Valeira, maybe I should try it someday^^. Yes, it was so time-consuming but I had a lot of fun!

Oh no, please don't play Guardians of Valeira! It's literally just a 1-map demo made with the Japanese version of SRPG Studio in its very early days. It was just an example to show how much of the application was translatable in English and give an idea of simple events; with the English version of SRPG Studio now being available, there's literally nothing of worth in Guardians of Valeira anymore. 

My issue with Clarent Saga is the design choices used: They aren't bad choices by any means and are perfectly valid, it's just that it doesn't fit what I like to play.

The main thing is that Final Fantasy Tactics gets away with very limited deployment slot by having more "complex" units with multiple skills, unit facing, altitude, etc. The complexity and interest for me in Fire Emblem games comes from the large deployment size: each unit is relatively simpler, but putting them together and position them correctly on the map is the challenge. I always use maximum deployment slots in any Fire Emblem game I play: You can deploy 16 in this chapter? I'll use 16. In Awakening and Fates, I limit my pairup usage because I love having a ton of units on the battlefield.

Clarent Saga generally has 5 or 6 unit deployment slots and the maps are built according to that. I personally find it too limiting for my tastes: it's a Fire Emblem-like game in complexity, but with very few units. So it's kind of lacking the biggest thing I enjoy in Fire Emblem gameplay. I mean, it's not something that can be "tweaked" either: the entire game is balanced around that. It's a design choice from the very start that affects the very game (so I can't be changed), and again I want to stress it's not a wrong choice: it's just not one that matches my personal taste.

Of less importance, I'm not a fan of the progression. The "promotion time" is always something I look forward to, but here all your units are already promoted and reclassable for the first arc. I always love seeing what a unit can change into (especially with a new engine like this where the sky is the limit and we aren't sure what to expect), but here you get to know all of it from the very start. It kind of sapped a bit of the "wonder". Inventory management is another thing: I'm more than fine with Fates unlimited duration items, but in most cases it's a tradeoff: This weapon has this plus and this minus, and you need to pick the right one. Here, there's unlimited use super weapons everywhere for certain characters, so I'm not feeling as if I'm doing any real inventory choices here.

Thank you for your opinion Ayra! I understand that I can't please everyone's taste but it suits mine (and I think that the most important).

Some people also have problems with the progression of my game namely the class change, the fact you get unbreakable powerful weapons early on, etc.

I acknowledge that most units are already promoted and it can kill the progression but I am fine with that. My reference is FE4 for holy weapons power. In FE4, they are expensive to repair plus you get them very late. In my game, you get them early on and they have unlimited uses, to balance this, enemies often have holy weapons too. I recognize the flaws in the progression but (despite these) I like the way it is. To "fix" these issues I need to reconsider the entire game balance! Right now, I am happy and satisfied with my game.

Last note, there is no reinforcement appearance in my game, I know that's a choice that can be divisive...

Anyway, thank you for buying it!

Edited by david.nguyen

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The game's story is pretty cool and nice but i think you should improve some of the maps cuz they're little bit generic and unnatural looking. Also the difficulty spike of this game is sometimes pretty high especially at chapter 13. In this chapter you'll have to cross on a valley with group of dragon knights and gryphon riders until you reach the boss and conquer(seize). They will wreck every of your unit because the units given are defenseless and footed. I didn't even have any fliers so my units cannot reach them on top of the mountains unless I bait them in their range. However when I try to bait one of them their backups will trigger and try to reach my units and my units cannot reach in their range cuz those a**holes are on a mountain. I also can't outrun them cuz my units are footed and get easily killed on the next turn. Also the valley is on a wasteland and my units cannot even find a forest to defend themselves. It was kinda annoying that I reset alot of times and i'm still stuck in that chapter.

Edited by Redeyesblackdragon

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...