Lyn Confirmed

The DanMan

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

To be fair, Lyn vs. Lucina was probably one of the closest matches and had things been a little different, Lucina may have won. I just wish I didn't have to feel like Lyn's going to come and replace Lucina after all this.

Replace Lucina? Lucina and Lyn are both in Warriors and the two most popular female FE characters. One doesn't need to supplant the other.

To put it bluntly, the reaction to Lyn's announcement confuses me. For an Ike fan, a Hector fan, an Ephraim fan, etc, aside from those characters being announced directly, Lyn being revealed is literally the best thing you could have hoped for. Lyn being in the game sets a precedent that Warriors is explicitly NOT only SD/Fates/Awakening, just that those games are the main focus. This is massive, it means that a popular enough character can be in the game, possibly even the base game, even if they aren't from those games, something that by this point seemed like a pipe dream at best.

Let's say that, before now, Ike(as an example) had a 5% chance of being in the game. He's popular, he's well known, but the game is clearly focusing on the Big 3 games. He could force his way in with brute force, but there's no logical reason to think that would happen. Better to save him for FE warriors 2 - Elibe/Tellius edition, let him be the big focus of his own game, rather than shoehorned into this one. I'll even be generous and say that Ike being storyless DLC fanservice bumped his chances to 10%, but this is an overstatement.

But now? Lyn is in the game, we know, for a FACT that non-SD/3DS characters are options. Aside from Lyn, Ike is the most popular of them all. His chances are a hell of a lot better than our 10% from earlier, let's be modest and and say... 60% chance of being in the base game, 80-90% of being in if we include DLC.

Well damn, that's a jump. And before BUT IKE WASN'T ON THE LEAK, neither was Navarre, and we're still missing the armour knight they've said in interviews will be in the game. The leak seems unlikely to be the final roster, even if all of the characters on said leak end up being in the game. 

As for Lyn being base game and Ike being DLC, as I've seen mentioned, there are a few possibilities. First off, Ike might be in the base game and just not revealed yet, in which case it's just paranoia, or there's also the possibility that Lyn and Ike were both intended to be DLC, but Lyn was made first and they happened to get her model enough along to fit her into final bugtesting and just put her in the game at base as a sign of good will.

As for the people complaining about the PR for this game, it's always been dicey. What did you expect at this point, really? 

Okay, that's my rant over, for now. 

9 minutes ago, SlipperySlippy said:

The Lyn and Lucina voting gauntlet wasn't close though, Lyn had a notable lead throughout the entire match.

Lyn and Ike (would) have been close looking at the overall (Lyn's 4,958,065,830 vs. Ike's 4,952,135,991)

They were close enough that Lucina didn't fall behind enough to get multipliers. Lyn's gain wasn't all that large and while she led most of it, she just couldn't gain enough which ironically worked against Lucina. They were too close for an upset unlike with Camilla. Odds are, no gauntlet will ever be back and forth without the multipliers again unless they remove said multiplies.

9 minutes ago, Motendra said:

Come now, don't go into that line of thinking. Just because Lucy lost doesn't make her any less popular than she already is. No one's replacing anyone

8 minutes ago, NekoKnight said:

Replace Lucina? Lucina and Lyn are both in Warriors and the two most popular female FE characters. One doesn't need to supplant the other.

Yes, but I can't help but think that especially with how some people here seem to almost worship Lyn as the best thing ever (granted, some are creepily devoted to Lucina too). I do wonder if Lucina would have been given the same courtesy Lyn's being given had Awakening not been a focus game. Lucina was well on her way to being a mascot which worked fine for me since she's one of my favorites, but maybe not anymore.

Edited by Arthur97

2 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

They were close enough that Lucina didn't fall behind enough to get multipliers. Lyn's gain wasn't all that large and while she led most of it, she just couldn't gain enough which ironically worked against Lucina. They were too close for an upset unlike with Camilla. Odds are, no gauntlet will ever be back and forth without the multipliers again unless they remove said multiplies.

There are several considerations to take into account though. People voting for Lyn would not be using flags, whilst Lucina fans realising that they would not get a multiplier, would be.

Similarly, the reason Lyn lost to Camilla was because of the timing of the multiplier. If Lyndis and Lucina's battle was extended, Lucina would have got a multiplier eventually. 

Edited by SlipperySlippy

Just now, SlipperySlippy said:

There are several considerations to take into account though. People voting for Lyn would not be using flags, whilst Lucina fans realising that they would not get a multiplier, would be.

Similarly, the reason Lyn lost to Camilla was because of the timing of the multiplier. If Lyndis and Lucina's battle was extended, Lucina would have got a multiplier eventually. 

Except most probably wouldn't use the flags until the last few hours or maybe not at all. I think you're selling team Lucina short here.

6 minutes ago, Ether said:

As for Lyn being base game and Ike being DLC, as I've seen mentioned, there are a few possibilities. First off, Ike might be in the base game and just not revealed yet, in which case it's just paranoia, or there's also the possibility that Lyn and Ike were both intended to be DLC, but Lyn was made first and they happened to get her model enough along to fit her into final bugtesting and just put her in the game at base as a sign of good will.

Now that you mention it, lyn might actually be like ghirahim and zant. 2 characters that were planned to be dlc but they just added them in cuz fans rly wants them. so that might support ur theory on the fact that they were planned to be dlc. that slightly increases my hope that ike gets the same treatment since they did it for both ghira and zant but i dont want to be disappointed x.x

48 minutes ago, ChickenBits said:

12/10 for your contributions. This was a nice change everyone needed due to salt levels. ??

Yup, everyone needed a light-hearted topic, and even if it wasn't for everyone no one was going to get worse.

I have to say that it worked better than expected though.

Edited by Sbuscoz

5 minutes ago, Ether said:

As for the people complaining about the PR for this game, it's always been dicey. What did you expect at this point, really? 

Yeah, PR has been dicey since the beginning. But I expect some sort of common sense from people. They acknowledged and commented on something, and then made an, in my opinion, stupid choice that contradicted those acknowledgements and statements. 

Excuse me for being annoyed by it. 

Just now, saisymbolic said:

Yeah, PR has been dicey since the beginning. But I expect some sort of common sense from people. They acknowledged and commented on something, and then made an, in my opinion, stupid choice that contradicted those acknowledgements and statements. 

Being annoyed is fine, I was just responding to general things that caught my eye. I'm just tired of gloom and doom every time something is said about this game by the devs.

1 minute ago, Arthur97 said:

Except most probably wouldn't use the flags until the last few hours or maybe not at all. I think you're selling team Lucina short here.

But, I'm not. A loss of 361 million votes is massive. That is a huge difference. 

Just now, saisymbolic said:

But the initial statement was a crude limitation that should have been contradicted.

If only they'd change Rowan and Lianne's weapons, too.

Just now, SlipperySlippy said:

But, I'm not. A loss of 361 million votes is massive. That is a huge difference. 

Not when we're talking about scores of billions. Have you seen the earlier gauntlets? They were massacres from the start without the multiplier, but this one was not with minimal multiplier interference. And that gap was built up over hours of minimal gains where other multipliers came and went for other teams. It was closer than you would seem to like to believe.

4 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

Not when we're talking about scores of billions. Have you seen the earlier gauntlets? They were massacres from the start without the multiplier, but this one was not with minimal multiplier interference. And that gap was built up over hours of minimal gains where other multipliers came and went for other teams. It was closer than you would seem to like to believe.

Yes, the loss is still statistically significant. It is a very notable difference, not a minor one. Calling it close implies either Lucina stood a chance or the difference in score is miniscule, which neither are true. 

Lyn and Ike's scores were close, not Lucina and Ike. I could even understand calling Camilla and Tharja's scores close, but even that's pushing it. 

Honestly, the leak sort of ruined my hype for this, but I'm still happy to see Lyn in the game. While I would have much rather seen Hector or Eliwood, Its understandable why they chose lyn (first character many players saw when they started playing fire emblem on GBA).

I'm crossing my fingers that Shadow Dragon didn't get extremely shafted. If recent leaks are anything to go by, then the fact that Navarre is in the game is a good sign.

5 minutes ago, SlipperySlippy said:

Yes, the loss is still statistically significant. It is a very notable difference, not a minor one. Calling it close implies either Lucina stood a chance or the difference in score is miniscule, which neither are true. 

Lyn and Ike's scores were close, not Lucina and Ike. I could even understand calling Camilla and Tharja's scores close, but even that's pushing it. 

In relative terms, it was close though. As I said, it was the only one that wasn't giving a lot of multipliers, therefore, it was close. It just managed to fall into that unpleasant zone of too far to win, but too close to upset. It was in no way a curbstomp.

Just now, Arthur97 said:

In relative terms, it was close though. As I said, it was the only one that wasn't giving a lot of multipliers, therefore, it was close. It just managed to fall into that unpleasant zone of too far to win, but too close to upset. It was in no way a curbstomp.

I understand that you're using multipliers to determine whether something was close or not (in retrospect, Camilla got curbstomped which allowed her to win). It was by no means a curb stomp, but I don't think labelling it as close is accurate. 

18 minutes ago, SlipperySlippy said:

But the initial statement was a crude limitation that should have been contradicted.

If only they'd change Rowan and Lianne's weapons, too.

Then, they should have never said it in the beginning.

I'd rather they said nothing at all, let the issues be temporarily and reveal things over time. Basically, "show don't tell." The complaints of the audiences would have still been there, yes, but it wouldn't make them look as bad as they do. Acknowledging something and then contradicting that sets a bad precedent and makes them come off as indecisive, in my opinion.

And, again, Lyn is fine. I'm probably even going to play as her. I just don't think announcing her was the right PR choice.

19 minutes ago, Ether said:

Being annoyed is fine, I was just responding to general things that caught my eye. I'm just tired of gloom and doom every time something is said about this game by the devs.

I'm annoyed. But skepticism more accurately describes how I feel. I should have said that instead.

I'm also tired of the doom and gloom despite adding to it myself at that moment.

Like I said, I'm still excited for the game to come out and I'm gonna buy it.

2 minutes ago, saisymbolic said:

I'd rather they said nothing at all, let the issues be temporarily and reveal things over time. Basically, "show don't tell." The complaints of the audiences would have still been there, yes, but it wouldn't make them look as bad as they do. Acknowledging something and then contradicting that sets a bad precedent and makes them come off as indecisive, in my opinion.

And, again, Lyn is fine. I'm probably even going to play as her. I just don't think announcing her was the right PR choice.

I'm annoyed. But skepticism more accurately describes how I feel. I should have said that instead.

I'm also tired of the doom and gloom despite adding to it myself at that moment.

Like I said, I'm still excited for the game to come out and I'm gonna buy it.

That's fair. But hey, no harm no foul. Sorry if it felt like I was calling you out specifically.

Nefarious scheme number 1, hope Ike isn't base game so he can be Tellius DLC and increase Micaiah's chances of being in said DLC pack

Just now, Ether said:

That's fair. But hey, no harm no foul. Sorry if it felt like I was calling you out specifically.

Nefarious scheme number 1, hope Ike isn't base game so he can be Tellius DLC and increase Micaiah's chances of being in said DLC pack

It's okay.

I don't mean to get as up-in-arms as I did. Everyone deserves the chance to rant about things. It's nice to get the negativity off the chest.

nefarious scheme number 2 pray hinata will appear in any spinoff game period

2 minutes ago, saisymbolic said:

I understand where you're coming from and personally agree, however I feel like breaking away from their rigid design philosophy whilst indecisive, offers for a much better final product. Whilst it is bad (in a loose sense) for them to go against their word, their initial design choices of focusing on only Shadow Dragon, Awakening & Fates and sword excuse the sword excuse were much worse offenders than changing their design choices.

The former statement limited the game design and made nothing short of baffling character inclusions (Lissa, Frederick & if playable, Navarre) and the latter collectively grouped all sword lords into a singular category, despite playing entirely different and still ignored many of the series staple characters that didn't fit into this category (Hector, Ephraim, Micaiah).

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES! This has made my anticipation for Warriors skyrocket, I cannot even describe how excited this makes me! All the salt surprises me, though. Like, seriously? Just be happy that the doors are open to some other potential non-Marth/3DS characters! And I mean, come on, Ike and Robin and Roy get to go everywhere...Smash Bros., Code Name S.T.E.A.M., etc., despite Lyn being just as popular and equally deserving. Just let Lyn fans have it for once. Seriously, if there's any "smugness" from anyone, it's all the opposition.

Now my questions are...Lyn amiibo when? Lyn playable in Smash Bros. when?

1 hour ago, omegaxis1 said:

Ah. Yeah, especially since Frederick is acquainted with Phila as well. They do talk about her, so of course they would get along with that. And Frederick being slightly doting but strict in other situations fits her as well. Plus, he totally fits being called "Daddy" by Severa. XD

I had a feeling you did. XD

But see? How many differences do we share in opinions and tastes, but we get along and talk about the greatness of our characters rather than bashing the other's? That's how I think fans should be like.

Yup, the OC daughter I created for Frederick sometimes calls him Daddy too. Totally fitting. XD

And yeah, exactly. People can get along despite differing opinions.

1 minute ago, saisymbolic said:

It's okay.

I don't mean to get as up-in-arms as I did. Everyone deserves the chance to rant about things. It's nice to get the negativity off the chest.

nefarious scheme number 2 pray hinata will appear in any spinoff game period

Yeah, I heard the news at work and was dreading the inevitable backlash for the whole back half of my shift...

Nefarious scheme 3, Retainers DLC. You get Hinata, I get Oboro and Selena, everyone wins. But I get that, I was ecstatic when I saw Ilyana as an expy NPC in Tokyo Mirage since I never thought such a thing possible