Lyn's marketing was actually pretty genius. Also Ike's chances.

?????

4 minutes ago, Florete said:

I wouldn't say Heroes is that big, but his appearances in those other games are all based on his amiibo while an appearance in Warriors likely wouldn't be. Even for Smash, Ike is probably better known from Brawl than Smash 4 if only because of the Wii's much greater install base than the Wii U's.

I disagree, I think it's 50/50 between either Ike. They both have arguments for being the default one and I also see no reason why both can't be options.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't matter, Ike's gonna be in the game & people gonna complain it even if he somehow dual wields Ragnell & Urvan. People will always find a way to bitch about something regardless how popular the decision is.

Edited by Zangetsu

Either way, we are getting one version of Ike, the other will likely be a costume. Both are really iconic for the character. RD Ike is probably the most recognized version in the US, but in Japan PoR Ike is more popular. I am leaning towards PoR Ike being our base version, considering Japan seems to be Koei's focus first and foremost, but I highly doubt RD!Ike wont be included.

Though I really want to see Vanguard Ike be used. His Hero design in Radiant Dawn was fine and all, but Vanguard was a bad ass design.

Honestly, I don't care much about Lyn. I would have much preferred Hector (the man carries you in HHM). But I'm happy for all the Lyn fans. After all, what is warriors for beside fanservice?

The characters I most wished to see are probably not showing up in the game, Titania and Milady. And no shuriken/daggers in game so no awesome battle maids like Felicia. Much sad. 

But at least I'll have Camilla. She had better say "Lets play" during battle. lol

Edited by wissenschaft

3 hours ago, wissenschaft said:

Honestly, I don't care much about Lyn. I would have much preferred Hector (the man carries you in HHM).

Hector promotes after chapter 29 in his story. He's much better in Eliwood's story where you can promote him as early as 24. Hector's great in early game either way, but he's no good to you as a level 20 lordling late game. Ditto for Eliwood, except Eliwood's early game is not as great as Hector's.

Edited by Glennstavos

48 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Hector promotes after chapter 29 in his story. He's much better in Eliwood's story where you can promote him as early as 24. Hector's great in early game either way, but he's no good to you as a level 20 lordling late game. Ditto for Eliwood, except Eliwood's early game is not as great as Hector's.

True but by the type Hector is lagging behind in stats, the rest of my team can handle themselves. Early game, hector was my key to killing some tough units/bosses. This is opposed to Roy who was near useless early on in his games hard mode. Erika and Ike were both far more useful from the start but then scared stones is just easier in general.

Plus, this game looks like it has way too many sword users, we need more axes. In fact, I'd have prefer if Lyn was a bow user instead of another sword user. It makes me wonder how much the WTA is actually going to matter.

Overall, It makes sense that the 3DS games would get the most representation at the start since they are the games that have basically saved Fire Emblem and given the series its current popularity. They have a pair up system include which is an obvious nod to the 3DS games. Its practically Guaranteed we will get DLC packs for the other FE games so we will likely get Hector, Ike, Roy (Ewww, who wants Roy :P), etc eventually.

Heck, History mode along is likely going to have a ton of DLC maps.

Edited by wissenschaft

17 hours ago, Jedi said:

It'll be PoR Ike, RD Ike isn't nearly as iconic of a look to most people (especially the Japanese).

Yet RD Ike is the one with an Amiibo and lots of appearances lately, including in the latest Smash. I'd say both are equally iconic at this point.

Edited by Anacybele

2 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Yet RD Ike is the one with an Amiibo and lots of appearances lately, including in the latest Smash. I'd say both are equally iconic at this point.

Sakurai is unusual as a dev, if IS had the choice they'd have probably gone with POR still.

People are still upset he didn't use the Skyward Sword looks for the Zelda characters, clearly indicating he just does what he thinks is cool over the norm.

i may be reading too into that however.

2 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Sakurai is unusual as a dev, if IS had the choice they'd have probably gone with POR still.

People are still upset he didn't use the Skyward Sword looks for the Zelda characters, clearly indicating he just does what he thinks is cool over the norm.

Yeah, but it still gave RD Ike some more exposure than he'd previously had and led to his appearances in Fates and Codename Steam and all.

4 minutes ago, Jedi said:

I think also a problem is that Ganondorf doesn't have an SS model, and it's preferable if the three Zelda characters use the same artstyle.

...I wonder if we can get the Hyrule Warriors models in the next Smash if there isn't a Zelda game with Ganondorf in the intervening time.

We'll be lucky if we get a Hyrule Warriors music track. There is no chance that the Zelda cast will use designs created for a third party game in Smash. 

I seriously can't believe that Ike's amiibo appearances in STEAM and Fates are being used to justify RD Ike. Firstly, very few people actually played STEAM, and even fewer people used his amiibo in the game. Second, very few people actually unlocked his amiibo counterpart in Fates, whereas his PoR appearance is available to every single Awakening player with an internet connection.  

58 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:

I think also a problem is that Ganondorf doesn't have an SS model, and it's preferable if the three Zelda characters use the same artstyle.

...I wonder if we can get the Hyrule Warriors models in the next Smash if there isn't a Zelda game with Ganondorf in the intervening time.

I think I'd rather Ganondorf not appear in a Smash 5 if it meant that he keeps his moveset. They did so well with Bowser and Yoshi's redesigns, Jigglypuff and Ganondorf ought not to come back if they don't get something similar.

As for Ike's amiibo, well yeah. They're not going to release an amiibo for a character if it doesn't look like that character, so it had to be the RD design. Sakurai probably chose the RD design for Ike just to sell us with "yeah, it's a returning character, but he looks and might play different!". Even I remember hoping that design would be used in the next game just for the sake of variety. But I also remember picking Ike out as a candidate for characters to cut in order to make space for new ones. 

19 minutes ago, Hardin said:

We'll be lucky if we get a Hyrule Warriors music track. There is no chance that the Zelda cast will use designs created for a third party game in Smash.

Hyrule Warriors (and Fire Emblem Warriors) is not a third party game, it was just developed by a third party. It's owned by Nintendo. It's like the original DKC trilogy and Metroid Prime, both of which have seen representation in Smash.

3 hours ago, phineas81707 said:

Pretty much. Ganondorf didn't have a SS counterpart and Demise was a different character so TP Ganondorf would feel out of place fighting other incarnations of Link and Zelda. The other thing Sakurai could do is basically what he did for Sheik in Brawl: ask the TP crew to design a TP-themed Sheik but this time asking the BotW crew to design BotW versions of Sheik and Ganondorf. 

Anyway, the HW designs were well received for the most part and I don't think that KT would oppose to the idea of Sakurai using the HW designs for the Zelda reps for the next Smash game. If he could get S-E to say "yes" for Cloud in Smash, getting the HW designs should not be an issue and even then, the characters in question belong to Nintendo. This is Sakurai we're talking about: if he likes the HW designs enough for the next Smash game, he'll get them there. The designs are readily available. It's also the golden opportunity to completely revamp Ganondorf by taking cues from the Great Swords and Trident movesets in HW which were also well received by the players. 

@Glennstavos Yes, the Falcondorf moveset has to die already. 

As for the PoR Ike VS RD Ike thing, PoR Ike is still the more popular version of Ike. If anything, him being a slow powerhouse in Smash is far more understandable with RD Ike's bulkier body. 

3 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

I think I'd rather Ganondorf not appear in a Smash 5 if it meant that he keeps his moveset. They did so well with Bowser and Yoshi's redesigns, Jigglypuff and Ganondorf ought not to come back if they don't get something similar.

58 minutes ago, Lord-Zero said:

@Glennstavos Yes, the Falcondorf moveset has to die already. 

As long as Sakurai is the Smash director he'll probably keep that moveset, considering he's Sakurai's personal favorite to use.

6 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Smash used his RD design to keep up to date with the latest designs, which is precisely why Marth has his NMotE outfit, and Roy is a combination of his Melee design and the Awakening DLC. His amiibo was designed after his Smash 4 appearance, and is used in the compatible games because why wouldn't it be?

I will be extremely salty if Ike gets in and Roy doesn't, as I hate Ike and I don't really care about Lyn. That means that Celica will be the only non-focus game character that I really like. Besides, Roy is the second most popular male, has an amiibo, very iconic due to Smash, was in Heroes from the start, so on so forth.

I really don't think that Ike will use Urvan, I can't see them splitting him up from his precious Ragnell. Oh but Lau, you say, they did it in the CYL! Because they had to because they changed the other three's weapons.

I will laugh if he gets revealed using Ragnell and everyone lets him off for being another sword user because, hey, it's Ike. Are we throwing weapon balance out of the window? Okay. Ogma, Gregor, Flavia, Roy, Eliwood, Alm, let's go!

7 minutes ago, Jedi said:

As long as Sakurai is the Smash director he'll probably keep that moveset, considering he's Sakurai's personal favorite to use.

Pretty sure he said that almost ten years ago about Brawl. His current stance with Smash 4 is that he can't afford to have favorites as a developer. Since making a character better according to his tastes will artificially make them better compared to the rest of the roster. He says this because people keep accusing him of making Kirby and Kid Icarus characters good because he worked on their games. All six are mid to low tiers in Smash 4 competitive though.

5 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

Pretty sure he said that almost ten years ago about Brawl. His current stance with Smash 4 is that he can't afford to have favorites as a developer. Since making a character better according to his tastes will artificially make them better compared to the rest of the roster. He says this because people keep accusing him of making Kirby and Kid Icarus characters good because he worked on their games. All six are mid to low tiers in Smash 4 competitive though.

Metaknight is still high tier, so people still accuse him of it anyways.

1 minute ago, Jedi said:

Metaknight is still high tier, so people still accuse him of it anyways.

That was Brawl, at least, where Kirby, Meta Knight and King Dedede also had a big impact on the Subspace Emissary, while Mario was a punching bag and leader of the worst party.

I think Meta Knight got nerfed hard for Smash 4. Not like I found him good in either game.