Can I just say that I love that there is a language select in the main menu of the PAL version?

I don't think I've ever seen someone highlighting this in any way and I think this convenience deserves some recognition. PAL versions of games usually support a variety of languages but these days almost nobody bothers to include a language selection in the actual game. The games simply check whatever the system language is. I think Capcom games are the only ones who consistently include an actual language setting.

I suppose it's kind off a non-issue for native English speakers. But as a non native speaker I find this to be very helpful. I don't know about the other PAL languages but at least German translations often seem to be based on the English translation instead of the original Japanese script. Some series like Zelda seem to have consistently good localization but most Japanese games seem to be very cheaply localized. Then there is the issue with voice acting. No matter how good the translated script is, if the voice acting is only available in English I would rather keep the script in English as well. Maybe I'm the only one but being feed two different versions of the same dialog at the same time is rather irritating to me.

So which language I would like to use is pretty much different for every game. And having to change the entire system language every time I want to play a different game is a bit of an hassle. So I think that it's amazing that Echoes bothered to include a language select and I would really love for this to become more common.

Edited by BrightBow

3 hours ago, Umbran Darros said:

Didn't FE8 include a language selection?

Yes, just like in FE7. But those were Game Boy Advance games. The GBA did not have a system language setting. Or any kind of menu for that matter. It would just play the game and that's it. So the games needed to include such an option themselves.

Edited by BrightBow