SaXor's Vault

SaXor the Nobody

Why are some of them missing shading beneath the hair? The ones that are shaded actually have a little too much, specifically the ones with Ephraim and Eirika's hair.

Some of the sprites' hair palettes seem rather dull. The colors are too similar to one another, and it's a little difficult to tell the difference between them unless you look really closely. If you make the shades and shines of the hair contrast one another a little more, I think it would look better.

Also, it seems like you removed one of the lining colors from the top right sprite. I feel that extra color would really help blend things together, especially around the jawline.

I'll offer to make revisions to your sprites. Though, if you're not okay with that, I understand.

Sorry for the late response, I'm kind of on and off with these things.
I took some time to mess with the hair shading and and colors a bit. The changes are subtle but hopefully they'll make a difference.
5rMpnBN.pngaFkTzVs.pngQ2bbwua.pngdlsmlH8.pngigevIft.pngpnnC8Bd.png

On 9/15/2017 at 8:28 AM, Melldere said:

Also, it seems like you removed one of the lining colors from the top right sprite. I feel that extra color would really help blend things together, especially around the jawline.

I'll offer to make revisions to your sprites. Though, if you're not okay with that, I understand.

I removed the third lining color in order to have the portrait fit within the 16 color limit, I thought it would be the least consequential color to get rid of.
Also, I don't mind if you make revisions at all. If you still want to, go ahead.

Edited by SaXor the Nobody

1 hour ago, SaXor the Nobody said:

I removed the third lining color in order to have the portrait fit within the 16 color limit, I thought it would be the least consequential color to get rid of.
Also, I don't mind if you make revisions at all. If you still want to, go ahead.

You have to be careful about which colors you remove. That color was really important for blending and transitions. Using only the outline color makes the jawline and the clothes' lining stand out too much.

Your updates look much better. I really like the use of color in the hair of the second sprite. I feel it really complements the armor. The fifth sprite's hair, however, looks a little off. The darkest and brightest colors seem too desaturated.

I'll make the revisions. If you like them, you can use them in ROM hacks, no credit needed but appreciated.

I finished editing one of the sprites. I mostly just cleaned it up a bit, but I also made a couple tweaks to the eyes and mouth.

rut21e3.png

I would have more done, but I'm working on my own sprites as well as some other stuff.

Edited by Melldere

On 9/25/2017 at 2:03 AM, Melldere said:

I finished editing one of the sprites. I mostly just cleaned it up a bit, but I also made a couple tweaks to the eyes and mouth.

rut21e3.png

I would have more done, but I'm working on my own sprites as well as some other stuff.

Oh, that's fine. And as for the portrait, the revisions are definitely an improvement, Thanks.
While I'm here, I might as well show off a wip.
fqQagt5.png
This is the first portrait where I've really done custom stuff. It was an experience all right...

1 hour ago, SaXor the Nobody said:

While I'm here, I might as well show off a wip.
fqQagt5.png
This is the first portrait where I've really done custom stuff. It was an experience all right...

The face and hair look nice, what needs more work is from the neck downwards.

The second shade on the skin is too light, it needs more contrast. There is shading missing on her skin above the dress. The order of the shading on her left shoulder is wrong; you applied the lighter shade first, you need to start from the darkest. Also take a look at necks from original mugs, I feel it´s hard to make custom necks with all the details they need on the shading front.

Edited by Capibarainspace

Second what Capibaira said: The face and hair look good. Maybe needs a touch of shading by the right (her left) eye.

I assume the neck and shoulders are mostly wip but a few suggestions:

-Move the collarbones in slightly

-Define the shoulders better

-Shade the far side significantly darker

-Overall use more of the third skin shade

I'd recommend you look at Eleanora and Sonia from Fe7 as neck references.

Personally I really like the palette you have, somewhere between 7 & 8 but do be careful with the skin contrast.

Finally, I'd use one of the dark eye tones in the blouse instead of the darkest skin tone

I haven't really been able to work on this a ton lately due to school and homework, but I've been messing with it bit by bit. This is what I have so far.
YwdZpWy.png
It'll probably be a little while before I begin work on the mini and eye frames. Just like the body, I have little experience with custom eye frames so that's gonna be fun...
But hey, we all have to start somewhere I guess.

Like others have said, the head and hair are pretty good. The body has definitely improved since the last version, but still has some problems. The body the collarbones are pretty dark and they slant upwards too quickly. The transition from neck to shoulders is kind of awkward as well. Here's how I draw collarbones VNyHVti.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The body looks pretty good! The face seems a little weird, the nose is very straight and the far cheek is a little too angular. The eyes need to be shaded a bit better, right not they look kinda out of place. The features of the face could use some more anit-alisaing, except for the jaw where the anit-aliasing is pretty extreme and could be toned down a bit. His neck is too long but you said you threw it together and it doesn't look like you changed that positioning so you might already know that.

The body looks pretty good! The face seems a little weird, the nose is very straight and the far cheek is a little too angular. The eyes need to be shaded a bit better, right not they look kinda out of place. The features of the face could use some more anit-alisaing, except for the jaw where the anit-aliasing is pretty extreme and could be toned down a bit. His neck is too long but you said you threw it together and it doesn't look like you changed that positioning so you might already know that.

• 3 months later...

Hola everyone, it's been a while. I never finished that Marth's portrait but I made this.
I05ZVVH.png
I did made a bit of progress on Marth's portrait though. The back of his head has been giving me trouble for a while but I finally managed to get somewhere with it. I don't know if it's good though.
i8dPZP8.png
Aside from his hair, all that's really left to do is his ear, redo his crown, and a whole lot of clean-up.
The idea was to "GBA-ify" The Shadow Dragon cast and remake Shadow Dragon in FE8 however my own laziness and strange inability to work with FEBuilder's eventing ui among other factors have left that idea as it is, just an idea. Plus it's already being done with way cooler features by way rom hackers that are much more skilled. I already made some stuff for it like music tracks and maps but I'm not really motivated to jump into such a project right now so I'll probably just stick to the portraits. Maybe I'll try it in the future, I dunno.
I also made some non FE related things, they're actually all Dragon Quest enemies. I started spriting more around the time I got into that franchise.
uKOSisX.gifX2IxKGP.pngEjdino0.pngwVNK3PQ.pngfSwnG3b.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

B9DxAhd.png

I'm almost done with formatting Mar. All that's left is the half-blink frame, still trying to figure that out.
I've also started work on Cain. I started working on Abel way before that but I stopped working on him a while ago, I'll get back to it someday.
42Kl9Eo.pngBDTcraL.png

That's all I've got for now.

• 1 month later...

nuZ8Vm2.png
Finally got off my lazy arse and gave Mars a halfblink frame and a proper mini, he's done.
2CLIxem.png
Made significant progress on Cain.

Finally, something different:
Clash! from Path of Radiance
I've been doing music insertion for a while now and I think it's about time I start sharing some of it. I made this one from scratch, it's free to use for the rom hackers out there. Just make sure that your using the 16 tracks/12 sounds patch. I'll be posting stuff like this in my new thread for non sprite related stuff: