What's Your Favorite Piece of Artwork?/Artwork Tier List

BoringBoi

Fire Emblem Heroes has some great artwork, which often goes overlooked. In fact, I base all of my summons off of the artwork!

Thanks to some ideas from the "Dauntless Crimeans Focus" thread, I came up with an idea for an artwork-based tier list (tier list is saying a bit much)

Obviously, it'll take forever to make an actual list of the best artwork, so for now, the question is:

What character has the best artwork and why?

Obviously, this is all opinionated, so there is now right or wrong answer. Meanwhile, I work on an actual tier list. In general, I just want to know everybody's opinion. I think it'll be a fun "social experiment" to see everybody's taste in artwork!

I think Legions artist or just his art in general) is really good. It's quite realistic for what a Fire emblem drawing can be, and it has very accurate proportions.

I want to give special mention to Mendakos Arthur, who looks like he lept straight out of a cheesy Superhero comic book.

I also quite like the artwork done by Yamada Akihiro of Gunter, Jagen, Zephiel, and Ogma, even if two of them are useless outside of Horse Emblem fodder and one of them is like a week or two away from being forever outclassed. I wish Gunter and Jagen had more personality and use outside of being Cavalry Veterans with Horse Emblem skills and really bad stat distribution (well, Jagen at least), but can't win them all I suppose.

The only artwork I don't like is Ursula and Lachesis as it's totally in conflict with every other piece of their presentation, both in Heroes and in their source game. Lloyd's only issue is that he's kind of unattractive and has weird spider hands. It's hard to really critique the artwork for most characters. For instance, Bridal Cordelia clearly has more effort put into her than normal Cordelia, but I don't prefer one over the other. Arthur's artwork was clearly thought up by a fan of the character. And I still don't know what those golden highlights in Alphonse's hair are. You'd think it's just reflective of his golden armor's sheen, but Anna doesn't have that.

S+ Tier: Celica, S!Corrin, Boey, Innes, Karel, Brave Ike, Hector, Ephraim,Julia, Genny, Ursula

S Tier: Ryoma. Sonya, Valter, Legion, S! Robin, Brave Lucina, Sanaki, Anna, Veronica, Linde, Ninian, Azura, Katarina, Lachesis, Hawkeye, Jakob, Alm, Eirika, Berkut, S!Leo, Clive, Klein, S!Elise, Marth, Brave Roy, Lyns, B!Caeda, S!Tiki, Faye, Lon'qu, Raven, Tana, Lukas, Michalis

A Tier: Zephiel, Roy, Lilina, Titania, Clarisse, S!Lucina, Lucina, Corrin (M), "Marth", Soren, Leon, Jeorge, Sheena, Xander, Nowi, Kagero, Fir, Maria, Priscilla, Roderick, Elise, S!Chrom, Corrin(F), Nino, Amelia, Olivia, Reinhardt, Olwen, Palla, Mae, Effie, Fae, Tiki(Y), Tiki(A), Cecilia, Sharena, Bruno, Niles

D Tier: Arthur, Gunter, Jagen, Narcian, Ogma, Cordelia, Spring! Xander, Laslow, Odin, Lloyd, Wrys, Mathilda, Mist, Est, Gaius, Leo, Robin (M), 

S tier (bias): Ninian, Linde, Klein, Faye, SLeo, BRoy, Roy, Marth, Lyn (all three), Narcian, Boey

Mid tier: everyone I didn't mention elsewhere in this post

Bottom tier (looks off putting): Lloyd, Zephiel, Jagen, Gunter, Ogma, Laslow (but only for the broken heel in the damaged art, the art is fine otherwise), Summer Corrin, Eliwood, Athena.  

Honestly my favourite is Eldigan. It conveys his character very well. You get that he's a stoic, serious lord, but in his battle art you also see that he's a skilled and dangerous fighter. There's also an air about him that really captures his title of Lionheart. The overall design is very close to his original art, but it also takes what was a very 90s anime look and makes it feel contemporary. 

As for the other extreme, there's the typical Lloyd, Eliwood answer, but one piece of character art that I particularly dislike and don't see mentioned too often is Hector. First of all, the style clashes way too much with the rest of the characters. But even aside from the style, I don't like how his armour is all one shade of blue. In his original art and even in his Heroes sprite you can see that there's different tones to it. In this art it looks weirdly like a body suit. I also don't like his face in the neutral and damaged poses. However, the attacking pose is cool. 

Edited by Book Bro

1 hour ago, Glennstavos said:

And I still don't know what those golden highlights in Alphonse's hair are. You'd think it's just reflective of his golden armor's sheen, but Anna doesn't have that.

Those are actually golden highlights. Unknown if they're natural or dyed, but that's actually the color of his hair. You can even see it on his battle sprite.

I'm not gonna really put a tier-list since that takes way too much work. However, i will say that Lloyd the Lizard Man has the worst artwork in the game (there's a reason why i call him the Lizard Man). 

As for my favorite artworks, i love Brave!Roy's artwork. He has the best artwork out of the Brave Heroes. Black Knight's artwork is really good. I'm in the minority in this probably but i also like Lachesis' artwork. It's a cute artstyle. But overall, i like all the artstyles shown in the game. Even the unpopular ones like Eliwood and Lachesis. Except Lloyd the Lizard Man. Besides Lloyd, Pikomaro drew Bride!Charlotte and Wyrs. Bride!Charlotte is also pretty terrible. Wyrs is the only one that fits. Pikomaro, please don't draw for this game again unless you're doing a seasonal Wyrs.

8 hours ago, unique said:

in all seriousness i think the black knight's might be the best one yet

I'm not saying it's impossible, but as a person clad from head to toe in armor, hiding all hair and flesh because their identity is supposed to be a secret, the Black Knight has a low probability of getting messed up artwork.

It's flesh, be it ugly faces, all too sexualized skin showings, improper proportions, or other things, which cause a character's artwork to be deemed bad much of the time. Though other causes do exist.

Just now, Interdimensional Observer said:

I'm not saying it's impossible, but as a person clad from head to toe in armor, hiding all hair and flesh because their identity is supposed to be a secret, the Black Knight has a low probability of getting messed up artwork.

It's flesh, be it ugly faces, all too sexualized skin showings, improper proportions, or other things, which cause a character's artwork to be deemed bad much of the time. Though other causes do exist.

i'm aware of that, in fact I was gonna mention in my post that it's not really comparable to the others

but the level of detail on the black knight is honestly pretty incredible

it's one case where i'd honestly say it's far better than his original artwork

S tier

• Palla - A very attractive but modest design for her. I actually quite like this art better than hers for Echoes. The art style is really good and the details to her outfit really differentiate her from other Pega Ponies in the series.
  • Seliph - His art is really underrated, I feel. There isn't a lot to his art but what is there is more than enough. My favorite parts would have to be the shading used to express and highlight the numerous folds and looseness of his clothes. The art really gives off a 90's feel, and it's a shame the artist hasn't drawn more for the game.
  •  Jakob - I think the art style used really fits Jakob's character. His portrait for the Special activation really expresses Jakob's severity and savagery towards any against his liege. Again, another artist I want to see more from.
  • Camilla/Spring!Camilla - I know a lot of people don't like Camilla's design, but, you know what, I think the artist did a very good job depicting her in both iterations. I love the shading and coloring of both.
  • Saizou - He looks magnificent. The colors, the shading, his poses - everything is awesome in his art. You can honestly put everyone that lack drew in S tier.

A rank

• Arthur - Purely subjective but I think his art is great. The fact that he looks like he came straight from a comic book is fits him so well. Like, I can't get enough of his art. Too bad that I don't think this art would suit any other character besides him.

D tier

• Hinata - My favorite character and his art is bottom tier, in my opinion. I mean, it isn't terrible. It's mostly the awkwardness of his posture, I suppose. It's hard to explain.
  • Oboro - Same as Hinata.
  • Corrin (F) - I'm not really a fan of how her feet are drawn. That's honestly my only complaint. Feel free to put this one higher, though.

I would do more, but those are the only ones I feel like bothering with.

I feel like I've answered this question a lot of times this week, so instead, I'll just say that Nephenee's art is PERFECTION. Hinoka, Effie, and Hawkeye had nice arts, but her's is seriously amazing. Also, the new critical arts on Oscar, Nephenee, BK, and Elincia are great.

Edit: I'll add my own tier list when I feel like doing so :/

Edited by KongDude

Bias aside...

S: Marth, Brave Roy, Caeda, Male Robin, Minerva, Young Tiki, Ninian, Raven, Hector, Seliph, Jeorge, Klein, Abel, Michalis, Maria, Felicia.

A: Roy, Lilina, Brave Ike, Brave Lucina, Niles, Hinoka, Summer Leo, Male Corrin, Priscilla, Palla, Matthew, Serra, Fae, Lukas, Alm, Celica, Clarine, Wrys, Clarisse, Alfonse and Sharena.

Absolute bottom: Female Robin, Cordelia, Oboro, Hana.

17 hours ago, Armagon said:

I'm not gonna really put a tier-list since that takes way too much work. However, i will say that Lloyd the Lizard Man has the worst artwork in the game (there's a reason why i call him the Lizard Man). 

As for my favorite artworks, i love Brave!Roy's artwork. He has the best artwork out of the Brave Heroes. Black Knight's artwork is really good. I'm in the minority in this probably but i also like Lachesis' artwork. It's a cute artstyle. But overall, i like all the artstyles shown in the game. Even the unpopular ones like Eliwood and Lachesis. Except Lloyd the Lizard Man. Besides Lloyd, Pikomaro drew Bride!Charlotte and Wyrs. Bride!Charlotte is also pretty terrible. Wyrs is the only one that fits. Pikomaro, please don't draw for this game again unless you're doing a seasonal Wyrs.

The thing about Pikomaro is that they are capable of doing good designs. They did Sephiran for that "Hundred Songs of Heroes" thing for the 25th Anniversary, and he looked great.

[link to picture because my computer doesn't want to work properly: https://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/fireemblem/images/0/0a/Sephiran_card_25.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20150816200902]

Meanwhile, Akihiro Yamada did Arvis for the original TCG, and I'm not as fond of it as the work he's done so far for Heroes.

Personally, I'd put Sachiko Wada at the top. Apart from the regular accolades, I like how she showed enough class to not flaunt Cherche's weirdly exposed back. Other than that, I'm also fond of Akira (Lon'qu, Raven), Tomoyo Asatani (Ephraim), Meka (Ike), and Akihiro Yamada.

Below them would be Mayo (Sheena), Tobi (Klein), Hako Itagaki (Draug, Gordin)... a lot actually. I always have trouble ranking things. But definitely  down towards the bottom would be Sakura Miwabe (Lachesis), Yura (Navarre), and Masafumi Takagi (Clair). Maybe Hako (Elise) and Kimihiko Fujisaki (Jakob) too. Honestly, we should have an ongoing "Rank this Artist" thread.

2 hours ago, Pete-of-the-Forge said:

The thing about Pikomaro is that they are capable of doing good designs. They did Sephiran for that "Hundred Songs of Heroes" thing for the 25th Anniversary, and he looked great.

[link to picture because my computer doesn't want to work properly: https://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/fireemblem/images/0/0a/Sephiran_card_25.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20150816200902]

I can understand the overall aesthetic and wouldn't call it bad- but Sephiran's pose makes him look like a sleazy drunk! He is supposed to be a bit mischievous or something of the sort, but not like that! I'd welcome the world's end if that was his Heroes art.

Hmmm... Let's see if  I can list them... 

Tops: 

Guys: Summer Gaius, Summer Xander, Summer Frederick, Summer Leo, Klein, Clive, Reinhardt (I know everyone talks about his small hands, but I never noticed until others pointed out, and I love his design overall), Seth, Navarre, CYL Ike, CYL Roy, Spring Chrom, Berkut, Raven

Girls: CYL Lucina, Summer Corrin, Nino, Olwen, Bride Caeda, Priscilla, Azura

Mids:

Those I haven't mentioned, since I just said the ones that immediately sprung to mind

Bottoms: 

Guys: Lloyd... oh poor Lloyd... Eliwood, if only for the eyes...

Girls: Amelia - too cutesy and I really, really hate the damaged art. It doesn't really scream Amelia at me :/. All three Lyns - her face looks too cutesy imo. She's always screamed regal but she looks too soft. I wish someone else had done her brave art, honestly. Bride Charlotte - She just looks so ugly to me. I hate looking at her when I'm against her in battle. Gwendolyn - she just looks painful all round. They added hot pants to her for no reason, her feet look really skewed and her waist looks off. Nothing looks right for an apparently armoured female. Lachesis, Mist - both far too chibified and cutesy for my liking. Lachesis, especially, is meant to be regal, whereas Mist I can kind of understand but really still not like. Elincia - she just doesn't look regal at all to me. She looks too young and not like the Elicina I recall at all.

Hope I haven't added too many. I just went with the ones that stood out to me :)