Mysteries of Oliver Revealed

Original Alear

Alright.

The essential question is this: why was Oliver buffed as far as states go slightly more as a Japan maniac boss when even Ashnard didn't get buffed?

Well, it's really quite simple. It's maniac mode, and Oliver is even more bizarre than Ashnard.

We also know that Oliver is favored by Yune's avatar, Michaiah, who invites him to commission a statue of her in their A support (strange that a static object is chosen).

Oh and also, Gawain has a spare vulnerary, because vulneraries are liquids and his pseudonym is Greil. Greil was once possessed by the medallion so there ya go. Maniac mode boosts him, too.

Sounds reasonable, in a maniacal sort of way?

2 hours ago, Professor Groeteschele said:

We also know that Oliver is favored by Yune's avatar, Michaiah, who invites him to commission a statue of her in their A support (strange that a static object is chosen).

This has to do with Oliver being buffed in PoR Maniac, how exactly?

Oh and also, Gawain has a spare vulnerary, because vulneraries are liquids and his pseudonym is Greil. Greil was once possessed by the medallion so there ya go. Maniac mode boosts him, too.

What does Greil being Gawain's pseudonym and being possessed have to do with him having a spare vulnerary?

I hate to say it, but you're making MatPat of Game Theory look credible in comparison.

• 4 weeks later...

This has to do with Oliver being buffed in PoR Maniac, how exactly?

Trying to make his interests less chaotic. Instead of capturing live herons and admiring their beauty, Micaiah thinks he should commission a statue that is static (orderly). Please note that statues being symbols/embodiments of order is a thing in Radiant Dawn - see Ashera's power.
 Oliver is so crazy that a scheme like this to make him act appropriately may actually work better than most that don't involve killing him for being a monstrous person.

What does Greil being Gawain's pseudonym and being possessed have to do with him having a spare vulnerary?

Because maniac mode is maniac mode. I think chaos sometimes imitates order and erodes order at its edges and makes new connections which have some logic but don't contribute to a truly logical structure (random things being scattered about in an attempt to make connections, but with little regard for a larger structure). Grasping for any kind of association to be made while having the wisdom to understand the whole (natural shortcoming for all of us if shortcoming it is) is one reason manic people may have manic episodes - they try and make what connections they can. Thus, maniac mode make associations but doesn't necessarily follow through on them.

I hate to say it, but you're making MatPat of Game Theory look credible in comparison.

Dude, if I really am wrong, it's OK with me if you toss my theories in the trash. Just like Ashnard and 9000 other crazy RPG villains not minding dying if its a question of might makes right.

In general, I just think there's no question that IS meant to make these strange little changes to "landmarks" (bosses as opposed to normal units) in order to play with having a mode called not just hard but "Maniac." In other words, there's a reason these two boss changes were made, because they'd be rather insignificant otherwise. I guess that I haven't played up to Oliver on FE9 maniac, so his stats may make him a much tougher fight on maniac, but...doesn't tibarn show up to kill oliver for you if you like?

It's kind of hilarious that they give a boost to a stationary (IIRC) boss whom Tibarn - chaotic aligned himself who seems to rather like violence - can claw to death at no risk to your party. Even when craziness and nonsense go your way for a while, there's no real way of being sure it will in the long run.

• 1 month later...

...Oliver is actually a champion of SLAANESH.  He’s hella chaos-amped on Maniac. 

Dunno how many 40k fans we have here to get the reference. But if you know Fire Emblem and know 40k--you know what I'm getting at.

MAYBE Sephiran's got a little bit of Tzeentch-corruption going on, and Ashnard's got a little touch of Khorne.

Oliver is full-blown Slaanesh. 

Edited by Shoblongoo

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 15/09/2017 at 7:58 PM, Original Johan Liebert said:

Alright.

The essential question is this: why was Oliver buffed as far as states go slightly more as a Japan maniac boss when even Ashnard didn't get buffed?

Well, it's really quite simple. It's maniac mode, and Oliver is even more bizarre than Ashnard.

Wait what? Oliver has unique support conversations with Micaiah? I know he promoted a unique line from Reuson, but I thought that was literally the only support in the game that deviated from the "Let's do this" "Yes, let's" formula. Do you have a link to this conversation?

On 3/7/2018 at 6:40 AM, Jotari said:

Wait what? Oliver has unique support conversations with Micaiah? I know he promoted a unique line from Reuson, but I thought that was literally the only support in the game that deviated from the "Let's do this" "Yes, let's" formula. Do you have a link to this conversation?

They're all here in the Forest. 

And it really isn't a conversation, just two lines like the rest, but Oliver gets a lot of unique ones:

Micaiah (just her A addressing line- responses are much more generic):

Type 4: Duke Tanas… I know everybody thinks you’re horrible because of what you’ve done in the past. But not me! I think you just need different hobbies! I’d be glad to model for a sculpture when this is all over.

And here are some good ones from Haar and Shinon:

Haar:

Duke Tanas, if I die here… I want you to know I never liked you. Doesn’t mean I won’t help you, though.

Type 4: Duke Tanas, have you showered lately? You know, stink won’t fight ’em off altogether. Let’s team up.

Type 4: Duke Tanas, hey, you’re not so bad. Seriously, I’ll bet there’s someone out there who likes you. Try to live.

Shinon:

Type 3: Duke Tanas, I hope you’re OK, aside from your normal litany of complaints.

Type 3: Duke, it’s like you’ve never held a tome before. Seriously…where did you learn to fight? Just…let me handle this.

Type 3: You know, I really don’t care who lives and who dies. But, Duke Tanas, I’m thinkin’ you should live. You may be a big, puffy cheeseball, but at least you’re not boring, like everyone else here.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

They're all here in the Forest. 

And it really isn't a conversation, just two lines like the rest, but Oliver gets a lot of unique ones:

Micaiah (just her A addressing line- responses are much more generic):

Type 4: Duke Tanas… I know everybody thinks you’re horrible because of what you’ve done in the past. But not me! I think you just need different hobbies! I’d be glad to model for a sculpture when this is all over.

And here are some good ones from Haar and Shinon:

Haar:

Duke Tanas, if I die here… I want you to know I never liked you. Doesn’t mean I won’t help you, though.

Type 4: Duke Tanas, have you showered lately? You know, stink won’t fight ’em off altogether. Let’s team up.

Type 4: Duke Tanas, hey, you’re not so bad. Seriously, I’ll bet there’s someone out there who likes you. Try to live.

Shinon:

Type 3: Duke Tanas, I hope you’re OK, aside from your normal litany of complaints.

Type 3: Duke, it’s like you’ve never held a tome before. Seriously…where did you learn to fight? Just…let me handle this.

Type 3: You know, I really don’t care who lives and who dies. But, Duke Tanas, I’m thinkin’ you should live. You may be a big, puffy cheeseball, but at least you’re not boring, like everyone else here.

Beautiful. Oliver is basically the only character that gets support conversations (limited though they are). Truly there's no Radiant Dawn character more deserving.

• 2 months later...

Oliver clearly payed off the IS devs. You really start to notice it in his S Support conversation with Ashnard when Oliver reveals

Spoiler

he sleeps with a magic based night light on and also that he payed off the IS devs