Project Octopath Traveler

Thane

A shame I got on this game rather late as I would have loved to leave my own detailed feedback, but I just recently got a Switch and the chance to play the demo.

Either way, what I played of it thus far (beaten Olberic's bandit boss) and I am rather enjoying it. I can see the difficulty spike in boss encounters due to their high HP pools, but I managed to beat the guy on my first attempt without too much of a hassle. The combat seems the be the classic case of taking advantage of multipliers (so breaking opponents, buffing self, and using the charge gauge thing), but I'll see how hard it is once I get around to doing Primrose's story.

I know I'm picking this up whenever it releases. I just hope I get through all the Switch games I want to play by that time...

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Thane said:

Dude that is so awesome! While the things they brought up usually weren't what I was worried about, the fact that the skip cutscene option is already implemented is a major relief. 

I was hoping for something along the lines of character portraits, but maybe that won't happen or they can't show it yet. Regardless, this really increased my respect for this team.

From what I understand these guys did the same type of thing with both of their Bravely games so it seems to be their staple.

• 1 month later...

Screw Amazon. We have our official release date. July 13, 2018.

Other stuff from the Direct:
- secondary Jobs: They even affect the character sprites e.g. Primrose with the Warrior class gains the blue robes from Olberic. This looks promising.
- 2 more playable characters introduced: Tressa the Merchant and Alfyn the Apothecary. Odd choices for a JRPG, especially the latter. The last time I saw Apothecary as a job was in Bravely Default.

5 hours ago, Zeratul said:

- 2 more playable characters introduced: Tressa the Merchant and Alfyn the Apothecary. Odd choices for a JRPG, especially the latter. The last time I saw Apothecary as a job was in Bravely Default.

The producer from this game apparently worked on the Bravely games. And Square Enix had done item mixing characters before that, like Rikku in FF10. 

Salve Maker the BD class was really good by the way. Apothecary in FFV was underpowered, possibly due to the skill system there preventing you from arming an Apo with its full loadout. But Salve Maker with Norende and some pg can do almost anything. Decent heals, buffs, debuffs, damage even. I made Tiz a Perfomer-Salve Maker, inflicting a Dark weakness on the enemy for Edea as a Dark Knight to destroy with 9999 Dark Nebulas/Rages. 

I'm having issues connecting my Switch to WiFi, so I can't play the demo, but I do hope this game is good and plan to pick it up once it releases.

I have a question: do you have to beat both stories in the demo to for Primrose and Olberic to meet, or is there another way?

Never mind, I figured it out.

Edited by MetalAmethyst

• 1 month later...

So there is something like a morality system.
Pls be good.

Spoiler

O - Olberic
C -
T - Tressa
O -
P - Primrose
A - Alfyn
T - Therion
H - H'aanit

So our two (likely) mages are going to have names starting with C and O.

On 4/17/2018 at 4:11 PM, Zeratul said:

So there is something like a morality system.
Pls be good.

Reveal hidden contents

O - Olberic
C -
T - Tressa
O -
P - Primrose
A - Alfyn
T - Therion
H - H'aanit

So our two (likely) mages are going to have names starting with C and O.

I wonder how much it'll matter in the end. 

Also as dorky as it is I love the potential 8 characters first letters spelling out Octopath.

3 hours ago, Jedi said:

I wonder how much it'll matter in the end. 

Also as dorky as it is I love the potential 8 characters first letters spelling out Octopath.

It's possible that this will be the case, but yeah, I think the last two characters' first initials will be C and O.

I wonder if something will spell out the "Traveler" part as well, since it has 8 letters as well and despite the fact that the correct uk english spelling of the word would be "traveller" (as far as I'm aware, do correct me if I'm wrong) but the game is still localised as Octopath Traveler in Europe. Of course, it could be them just sticking to the theme.

22 hours ago, Kahvi said:

I wonder if something will spell out the "Traveler" part as well, since it has 8 letters as well and despite the fact that the correct uk english spelling of the word would be "traveller" (as far as I'm aware, do correct me if I'm wrong) but the game is still localised as Octopath Traveler in Europe. Of course, it could be them just sticking to the theme.

I think it's just sticking to the theme but it'd be funny if each character had an antagonist that spelled out Traveller, now that I give it some thought.

• 4 weeks later...

Seeing the names Cyrus and Ophilia on my twitter timeline sure brought Fates to my mind first.

Anyway, Cyrus's path action sounds cool, I do hope it'll be as interesting in-game.