Project Octopath Traveler

Thane

13 minutes ago, DodgeDusk said:

Too busy wanting character portraits, haha.

To my understanding, UK's stock for the Switch greatly improved when Splatoon 2 got released. I've heard or seen no complaints regarding stock issues over here, anyway, and getting mine was super easy. Importing from the UK is an option for people, though it's admittedly a more costly one.

Trails has spoiled us both. 

Oh thats good to hear in the UK (and in the other posts case, Canada) I just keep hearing from fellow people here in the states, that its still really hard to find one.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, DodgeDusk said:

Can't believe I didn't think of this, I agree completely. I want to know what some of the other characters look like, especially the villains.

2 hours ago, DodgeDusk said:

Dammit! Why didn't I think of that? That would solve my issue with the sprites being inexpressive! I hope they see you suggestion and go "ah, of course!" and implement it.

Don't worry about not mentioning the ability to skip dialogue; I believe every single person I've talked to about this game has expressed their desire for such a feature, so I'm sure it'll be the single most requested thing on the survey.

My actual main want with the game is that all 8 stories actually have differences when all the characters meet up, like how seiken densetsu 3 works, as opposed to how Dragon Age did things which was unique origins but the same overarching plot, while SD3 had similar plots the mc you chose had their own villain and unique motivations for the quest.

I'd love another huge replay value RPG like SD3 had with its branching classes, your ability to choose which party members joined, etc.

Edited by Jedi

16 minutes ago, Jedi said:

My actual main want with the game is that all 8 stories actually have differences when all the characters meet up, like how seiken densetsu 3 works, as opposed to how Dragon Age did things which was unique origins but the same overarching plot, while SD3 had similar plots the mc you chose had their own villain and unique motivations for the quest.

I'd love another huge replay value RPG like SD3 had with its branching classes, your ability to choose which party members joined, etc.

I haven't played Seiken Densetsu 3 so I can't comment on that, but I definitely agree. Dragon Age: Origins did make your race matter in some ways and changed a lot of flavor texts, but if they can keep up the uniqueness of each character, I'll be happy.

I can't imagine it'll be so easy as to just stroll into Cobbleston as Primrose and pick up Olberic in the main game. They all have their own objectives, after all, so that must be reflected in the final product.

1 hour ago, Thane said:

I haven't played Seiken Densetsu 3 so I can't comment on that, but I definitely agree. Dragon Age: Origins did make your race matter in some ways and changed a lot of flavor texts, but if they can keep up the uniqueness of each character, I'll be happy.

I can't imagine it'll be so easy as to just stroll into Cobbleston as Primrose and pick up Olberic in the main game. They all have their own objectives, after all, so that must be reflected in the final product.

Yeah I do like that about Origin at least, as you kept your identity, but I always felt it could have done more with it, still really enjoy it overall.

I just realized something that the game needs: more than three save files. I know it's a demo and all but if you're gonna have eight characters and eight stories, three save files isn't enough.

On 9/18/2017 at 7:11 PM, Armagon said:

I just realized something that the game needs: more than three save files. I know it's a demo and all but if you're gonna have eight characters and eight stories, three save files isn't enough.

Maybe 3 is only for the demo, but I also know If i'm playing this game i'm only gonna focus on one story at a time. 

But this does seem weird, although I may just be spoiled by Trails in the Sky/Zero/AO/Cold Steel having hundreds of pages of saves.

On 9/18/2017 at 10:11 PM, Armagon said:

I think one save file will involve you meeting up with other characters, and playing through their storylines, before they join you. No way they'll make you play the game 8 different times to get the full story, that's straight up too much.

Edited by DragonLord

2 hours ago, DragonLord said:

I think one save file will involve you meeting up with other characters, and playing through their storylines, before they join you. No way they'll make you play the game 8 different times to get the full story, that's straight up too much.

That's assuming there's an overarching plot.

4 hours ago, DragonLord said:

I'd rather all 8 stories have differences as mentioned previously in say SD3, you had 6 characters, 3 of which you could pick as your team. The MC had their own introduction and motivations along with determining the main villain, certain plot aspects unique to that character and final area, along with having a double branching class system, so the replay value was absolutely nuts.

I've been waiting for a similarly replayable RPG since it. So I hope this is its successor.

It's true, we don't really know what the plot structure will be like, huh? I mean, there would be little point in having eight protagonists if you could just go pick them up at your leisure and finish an overarching plot without their backstory being relevant.

Yeah, I also honestly hope each character has a basically unconnected story. Not every RPG needs to be about stopping the Evil Emperor who wants to conquer the world, or the Evil God who hates humans, or whatever.

3 hours ago, blah the Prussian said:

Yeah, I also honestly hope each character has a basically unconnected story. Not every RPG needs to be about stopping the Evil Emperor who wants to conquer the world, or the Evil God who hates humans, or whatever.

Well they're gonna connect to some extent judging from some screenshots showing the 8 together.

Maybe its like 8 separate plots where the 8 run into each other at varying points and such but all have their own end game and like little adventures so to speak, that would actually be enough imo.

Edited by Jedi

I really enjoyed the Octopath Traveler bit during the Direct, and the demo was really good. I've only played the warrior story so far, but it was fun stuff. I'll get to the dancer eventually. I loved the artstyle, the music and overall presentation of the gameplay. Even Olberic himself seemed a pretty cool character to play as.

Something else I enjoyed was the dual audio option. Sometimes they don't even put it in demos even if the full game is going to have it, but in this case, there it was. Way to go, really.

So, in short, I'm definitely buying this whenever it's released. 

11 hours ago, Gaia093 said:

I really enjoyed the Octopath Traveler bit during the Direct, and the demo was really good. I've only played the warrior story so far, but it was fun stuff. I'll get to the dancer eventually. I loved the artstyle, the music and overall presentation of the gameplay. Even Olberic himself seemed a pretty cool character to play as.

Something else I enjoyed was the dual audio option. Sometimes they don't even put it in demos even if the full game is going to have it, but in this case, there it was. Way to go, really.

So, in short, I'm definitely buying this whenever it's released. 

Olberic is great, I quite like him myself. 

Primrose is interesting, and I want to see where her story goes, but I won't say more so I don't spoil your surprise.

• 2 weeks later...

http://nintendoeverything.com/project-octopath-traveler-devs-on-the-early-silence-development-progress-more/

This interview is nice, nothing like spectacularly new and it is a few days old but its nice to hear the devs answer some basic questions sometimes. 

Most notable here is probably 

• It will have English, Japanese, Spanish, French, German, Italian text on launch. Sounds like they’ll have one version worldwide.

On 2017-10-05 at 9:51 AM, Jedi said:

http://nintendoeverything.com/project-octopath-traveler-devs-on-the-early-silence-development-progress-more/

This interview is nice, nothing like spectacularly new and it is a few days old but its nice to hear the devs answer some basic questions sometimes. 

Thanks man. I know this might just be PR, but it sounds like they've got a pretty down-to-earth approach to developing this game. That bodes well. I hope the feedback reaches them, too; things like character portraits and being able to skip dialogue would really improve things, though the demo was already a very pleasant experience.

I found this on YouTube, too, for everyone's listening pleasure: 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Jedi said:

A huge bump, the demo feedback has been received and their plans are here. 

https://mynintendonews.com/2018/01/30/square-enix-reveals-improvements-to-project-octopath-based-on-demo/

This video has English Subtitles.

Dude that is so awesome! While the things they brought up usually weren't what I was worried about, the fact that the skip cutscene option is already implemented is a major relief. 

I was hoping for something along the lines of character portraits, but maybe that won't happen or they can't show it yet. Regardless, this really increased my respect for this team.

Already more info on this title than a main series Nintendo title coming out in the same year.

This game looks great though, and I hope that it releases before the holidays.