Possible Staff User Attack Methods?

Urushihara

So I was thinking about the possibility of having healers attack again, similar to Radiant Dawn, except it would function differently. It could work just like in Heroes, where their magic attacks would do half or so damage when targeting an enemies Res stat. Healer attacks could also serve a purpose, where as, again from Heroes, their hits could possibly debuff the enemies, or even provide stat boosts to teammates. Another method could be that Healers would only ever be able to counterattack, thus not be able to actually initiate battles, so that they could at least defend themselves. These were just some thoughts about how healers should be able to do more to support their team, and I'd like to here some thoughts on the topic.

FE9 Light magic, which is exclusive to certain classes but is tied to the unit's staff rank. Gives healers a means to attack even if it's inferior to the other spell types, and they can always go the Heroes route and give Light tomes supportive effects.

Just have them whack people with the Staff

In all seriousness, i like the way Healers were handled in SoV, but SoV is a very different game. So i think it'd be best if they can use Light Magic.

personally, I liked what RD did with non-attackers, I liked that they could at least counter, even if it did no damage it felt nice for them to not just take the hit with no care whatsoever.

Also, skills activating was also funny, disarmed by a priest who does no damage.

My problem with RD Staff attacks is that not only were they useless, but if you healed someone, you were stuck with having a Staff equipped on the enemy phase barring a trade equip swap. This wasn't a problem for anyone but Elincia and maybe your Tower-ready team really since healers in RD are very fragile, but it was still an issue.

I'll say we lock Light Magic to Staffers and Staffers to Light Magic barring special exceptions. This way, Light Magic has an actual place in things alongside Anima and Dark, if we opt to have the FE Trinity of Magic divided into distinct groups. This said, how FE6 and Tellius did this was very much less than ideal.

Just because I feel like mentioning it, TearRing Saga made two of your healers dragon shifters with ridiculous abilities- but they couldn't gain EXP shifted, and their shifts ended randomly on the start of an enemy phase- leaving room for some serious "whoops!" since the dragons have invincibly high Def and Res (and both Clerics would give a game over if you let them die).

So SOV/Gaiden healers? Or heroes? I wouldn't mind either way.

Or maybe just create more offense-oriented staves, such as sabotage staves or light magic staves. Not sure how in-game they can explain that. Maybe light magic will be generally weaker, so it doesn't need a tome to function?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/18/2017 at 6:32 PM, Interdimensional Observer said:

My problem with RD Staff attacks is that not only were they useless, but if you healed someone, you were stuck with having a Staff equipped on the enemy phase barring a trade equip swap. This wasn't a problem for anyone but Elincia and maybe your Tower-ready team really since healers in RD are very fragile, but it was still an issue.

they did give staves unique effects when equipped, it wasn't the same as one shotting enemies on the counter but they had plenty of utility with free heals and stat buffs.

also allowed the most broken exploit in radiant dawn but that's aside from the point.

I think Staves should have like their own magical defensive attacks, think how Heroes did it but they could also counter attack 1-2 range? Or something.

I actually like equippable staves as a disadvantage, it maintains some of the weakness that unpromoted healers had (promoted healers like Saleh and Pent often feel rather overpowered because they can heal then still counter with whatever other tome you want independent of their player phase action; this is not usually how FE works). RD had the right idea, though personally I would try to make the staves a bit more interesting (and/or just give healers more Str so their counters are meaningful).

Let's just let them counter normally, heal the enemy to death! Nah. I kinda like the heroes thing though I believe that wasn't inherent (only 50 sp mind) so maybe a learned skill or an equivalent? (Could keep early game "normal" and let natural healers have a distinct advantage) The counter normally thing did give me the fun thought of them countering by healing themselves. (Normal values not reduced or anything)