The Generic Moveset Theory, and what movesets have yet to be covered

TheSS

The Generic Moveset Theory is something that countless people online, and doubtlessly countless people at KT, have thought of at some point or another. The basic idea of it is as follows: Rather than create a moveset for every character, make a number of movesets for different fighting styles, and then have multiple different characters with each moveset in order to maximize the number of characters from FE lore you can fit into the game. 

Let's say they ARE going with this approach, which is likely considering the number of clones in the game. Let's also say the number of generic movesets is rougly equal to the number of movesets in the starting game of HW. HW had 20 without the free DLC of villain characters released shortly after the game hit shelves. It had 24 with. Let's say FEW will have 24 generic movesets in the base game. In that case, let's see what we already have.

1. Lord (Chrom/Lucina)
  2. Lord (Marth)
  3. Lord (OC Twins)
  4. Hoshido/Nohr Noble
  5. Lord (Lyn)
  6. Pegasus Knight
  7. Dragon Knight
  8. Mounted (sword)
  9. Mounted (axe)
  10. Mounted (magic)
  11. Infantry (magic)
  12. Infantry (bow)
  13. Infantry (sword/swordmaster)
  14. Infantry (Axe)
  15. Dragonstone user

This would leave us with ~9 movesets left. What I would like to see is

1. Dancer (Azura)
  2. Priestess (Celica) (Possible emphasis on Light Magic so it can be used for clerics from GBA games for DLC)
  3. Lord (Ike)
  4. Knight
  5. Hero
  6. Mounted (Bow)
  7. Dark Mage
  8. Thief
  9. Beast Stone user

Edited by TheSS

The thing is about Lyn, even though her class is a lord by name, she fights VERY much like a classic myrmidon, which can be assumed where the accidental Navarre's moveset may be based off of, if not the other way around.

I'd hardly leave out Mercenary, since they're not like Lords and are relatively all-around units. Additionally, not every merc has access to the bow knight class.

3 minutes ago, Motendra said:

The thing is about Lyn, even though her class is a lord by name, she fights VERY much like a classic myrmidon, which can be assumed where the accidental Navarre's moveset may be based off of, if not the other way around.

I'd hardly leave out Mercenary, since they're not like Lords and are relatively all-around units. Additionally, not every merc has access to the bow knight class.

Does Lyn not have her own moveset? Well, I'm taking your word on it. Editing the original.

Edited by TheSS

Just now, TheSS said:

Does Lyn not have her own moveset? Well, I'm taking your word on it. Editing the original.

Well, that tidbit on her and Navarre, is more so just a theory. Given that he's not yet revealed we can't confirm, but it'd be the most logical conclusion. I mean, her actual promotion class is BLADE-Lord, after all, with the only difference being that she gets a bow as well

3 minutes ago, Motendra said:

Well, that tidbit on her and Navarre, is more so just a theory. Given that he's not yet revealed we can't confirm, but it'd be the most logical conclusion. I mean, her actual promotion class is BLADE-Lord, after all, with the only difference being that she gets a bow as well

Well, when I put in the swordmaster moveset, I was mostly referring to Ryouma. Does she have that moveset? Or have we not seen enough?

1 minute ago, TheSS said:

Well, when I put in the swordmaster moveset, I was mostly referring to Ryouma. Does she have that moveset? Or have we not seen enough?

She doesn't in the slightest. From what amount we've seen, she literally fights like a classic myrmidon from the GBA era. While Ryoma may fall into the same general unit role, there is distinction between them for being Samurai, instead of Myrmidon

14 minutes ago, Motendra said:

She doesn't in the slightest. From what amount we've seen, she literally fights like a classic myrmidon from the GBA era. While Ryoma may fall into the same general unit role, there is distinction between them for being Samurai, instead of Myrmidon

Well, I've been classifying these based on moveset, not 'role'. Besides, Hinoka and Cordelia have the same moveset. I don't see why Ryouma would have a different moveset than Navarre.

1 minute ago, TheSS said:

Well, I've been classifying these based on moveset, not 'role'. Besides, Hinoka and Cordelia have the same moveset. I don't see why Ryouma would have a different moveset than Navarre.

Because, Fates Swordmasters literally have different animations than any other incarnation, further exemplifying the differences in culture themes within Hoshido. Why they didn't give Sky Warriors the same distinction to Peg Knightd is an oversight that's beyond me (though that's prolly due to the mount) but that's besides the point. Additionally, Navarre by default and design wields two swords. Just like Lyn is right now, despite dual wielding not visually existing within gameplay until Fates.

9 minutes ago, RotomGuy said:

How sure are we that the armored unit will use a lance? Because I can see Garon being an armored unit, obviously using an axe.

Taken from this interview:

"And since we also have the non-mounted and armored Knight that will use a spear, Great Knights shall end up appearing with an axe."

1 minute ago, Arthur97 said:

I think Marth may break this theory since he fights nothing like Chrom/Lucina. Maybe it's just because he's Marth, but it seems to strike the theory down. (why isn't he Lodestar anyways?)

Well, I think it makes sense. Chrom trained Lucina, so it makes sense they're the same. Marth is more based on his smash bros appearance. I don't think it's so illogical that it breaks the theory.

46 minutes ago, Pokechu said:

I thought there was someone else? Aren't we forgetting someone?

Oh well.

Gosh guys, how could you all forget the likes of Cervantas, he is hella iconic and deserves to be in the game.

On another note, I don't mind characters have the same basic attack string as long as their combos are different.

2 hours ago, Denomon3144 said:

Only one Knight? That's unfortunate.

I think they were using the singular to refer to the class in general rather than to indicate that there's just one armor knight.  Like how a history show might refer to "the knight" when talking about their code of ethics or other general facts about knights.  Obviously they aren't just referring to one particular knight in that case.

It could also be something lost in translation.

3 hours ago, Arthur97 said:

I think Marth may break this theory since he fights nothing like Chrom/Lucina. Maybe it's just because he's Marth, but it seems to strike the theory down. (why isn't he Lodestar anyways?)

You think there isn't at least a little room for a few unique characters in this theory?

1 hour ago, Anomalocaris said:

Awakening's only Knight was Kjelle, oddly enough.

I could've sworn there was an armor knight in the Ferox border chapter, but...

Nah, I'm probably just thinking of the boss there.

On topic, I think this could be a route they'd go where the basic combo strings are the same, but the Musou specials are all different.  I mean, that would come to the disappointment of Musou fans and probably FE fans who'd like to see their favorite characters differentiated more, but it certainly would be one way to cram in a bunch of fan favorites easily and it's fairly consistent with what has been said/presented in interviews/demos/trailers.

Also, I don't see them omitting regular infantry lancers at all.  I'd say that "light/dark mages" will probably not be a thing due to how light magic isn't even a thing in SD or the 3DS games and dark magic encompasses so few spells.  I'm not saying it's impossible, but I do think it's the least likely scenario in this theory.

1 minute ago, Ertrick36 said:

Also, I don't see them omitting regular infantry lancers at all.  I'd say that "light/dark mages" will probably not be a thing due to how light magic isn't even a thing in SD or the 3DS games and dark magic encompasses so few spells.  I'm not saying it's impossible, but I do think it's the least likely scenario in this theory.

Seeing as Robin and Leo have dark magic in their movesets, I'm guessing there's no distinction between anima, dark, and light magic here.

4 hours ago, TheSS said:

Ryoma literally only does Fate's Swordmaster things, if Navarre has the same moveset that literally would be unfaithful to Shadow Dragon and Mystery of the Emblem animations (which Marth borrows in Smash), and would be more of a travesty than the PR.

6 hours ago, TheSS said:

The biggest oddity is that Navarre by design carries two swords, just like the Lyn added here - but Lyn never wielded two swords before. She had one sword before promotion and sword and bow afterwards. Ryoma's moveset in Warriors only has one sword, creating a second energy blade for some of his special attacks, but his standard ones all seem to use a single blade and most are two handed.

We haven't seen Lyn's standard attacks though, but I'd be surprised if she doesn't use that 2nd blade at all, considering how it's an addition to her design that (aside from the shorts), follows her FE7 artwork very faithfully. It seems unlikely they'd give her that extra sword unless she's using a moveset that actually requires two blades.

Edited by NeonZ

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

Not going to happen, since hidden weapons aren't in the game.

Infantry sword (Hero) should be covered by Ike, imo.

How do we know this?

1 hour ago, NeonZ said:

The biggest oddity is that Navarre by design carries two swords, just like the Lyn added here - but Lyn never wielded two swords before. She had one sword before promotion and sword and bow afterwards. Ryoma's moveset in Warriors only has one sword, creating a second energy blade for some of his special attacks, but his standard ones all seem to use a single blade and most are two handed.

We haven't seen Lyn's standard attacks though, but I'd be surprised if she doesn't use that 2nd blade at all, considering how it's an addition to her design that (aside from the shorts), follows her FE7 artwork very faithfully. It seems unlikely they'd give her that extra sword unless she's using a moveset that actually requires two blades.

So it sounds like Navarre is going to use Lyn's moveset. Still, that meshes with my theory.

3 hours ago, Anomalocaris said:

Seeing as Robin and Leo have dark magic in their movesets, I'm guessing there's no distinction between anima, dark, and light magic here.

I can see this being a thing. It WOULD be a shame if all infantry mages had the same generic moveset. A dark mage like Tharja using light magic? That doesn't seem right,