The Generic Moveset Theory, and what movesets have yet to be covered

TheSS

17 minutes ago, TheSS said:

They specifically said that hidden weapons were absent? Well, damn. Oh well.

It was never explicitly said, however, screenshots we have seen of the inventory menu seem to indicate as such.

Spoiler

59bf0fe8e55c1_4gamer-8-8-0041.thumb.jpg.362b3385d1cf7244f6e59bee92027939.jpg

As you can see, there are only six different weapon type menus, Sword, Lances, Axe, Bows, Tomes and Dragonstones.

2 hours ago, Azz said:

It was never explicitly said, however, screenshots we have seen of the inventory menu seem to indicate as such.

Hide contents

As you can see, there are only six different weapon type menus, Sword, Lances, Axe, Bows, Tomes and Dragonstones.

Well, I suppose that leaves DLC as an option, but yeah, it seems they're out of the main game. Shame.

Oh well, more room for another moveset, I guess.

5 hours ago, TheSS said:

I can see this being a thing. It WOULD be a shame if all infantry mages had the same generic moveset. A dark mage like Tharja using light magic? That doesn't seem right,

Well, I think the Book of Naga could be considered "light magic" since it doesn't fit among either anima or dark magic, and pretty much any mage (regular or dark) can use it as long as they have a high enough weapon rank.

Also, the single shaman you get in the DS remakes of Shadow Dragon/Mystery of the Emblem is capable of wielding starlight, which is definitely light magic.

I think you're probably thinking too much along the lines of the GBA games.  While I certainly think that it would be preferable to have the kinds of distinctions between units/weaponry that existed in that era, I think they might be modeling that sort of stuff off of Heroes or at least one of the "big three".  Plus, given that elements already play a role in the game, I'd think that the different mages will be differentiated in this manner as well instead of given their own unique classes.

We may see a dark mage class since that's one consistently recurring class in the series, but I highly doubt light mage would make an appearance.

Then again, in spite of this being a fairly legitimate hypothesis, it could be possible that only a few units will be clones.

3 hours ago, TheSS said:

Oh well, more room for another moveset, I guess.

I could see the ninja class still making it in on account of them actually being able to use swords in their promotion.  The hidden weapons could be implemented in a similar fashion to how Lucina uses the bow in certain attacks.

Granted, we've already got quite a few sword-using movesets as is, but given that they went the extra mile to include Lyn - yet another sword user - I don't think it'd be that much of a deal at this point.

It is also possible that there are other weapon types that they haven't shown and are, for whatever reason, hidden from the menu in every shot we've seen, though I don't see why they'd include a weapon type that's only used in one game (or two if you consider the Tellius games, even though those daggers function quite differently) and hide it like this, especially considering that's the only other weapon type that shows up in the series besides the oh-so-gimmicky ballistae.

18 hours ago, Anomalocaris said:

Awakening's only Knight was Kjelle, oddly enough.

Kellam. The 1st gen Knight who's 'quirk' WASN'T that people forgot him, but that they didn't realize he was there. How in blazes anyone; inside or outside the fandom, has picked up that farcical nonsense of 'durr, who?' continues to astound me...

on topic; I fully subscribe to the notion of generic pools; specifically KT creating an internal  library of attacks for each class that can be swapped out to give generic same-weapon users a little bit of variety (A1, B3, C4, D2, E6 vs. A1, B2, C5, D3, E1). That way they give as many characters a chance to be implemented as possible, and in all fairness it matches the spirit of the games since there's usually quite a bit of overlap in unit acquisition...

1 hour ago, DIO said:

Kellam. The 1st gen Knight who's 'quirk' WASN'T that people forgot him, but that they didn't realize he was there. How in blazes anyone; inside or outside the fandom, has picked up that farcical nonsense of 'durr, who?' continues to astound me...

on topic; I fully subscribe to the notion of generic pools; specifically KT creating an internal  library of attacks for each class that can be swapped out to give generic same-weapon users a little bit of variety (A1, B3, C4, D2, E6 vs. A1, B2, C5, D3, E1). That way they give as many characters a chance to be implemented as possible, and in all fairness it matches the spirit of the games since there's usually quite a bit of overlap in unit acquisition...

It's all just for fun lol

2 hours ago, DIO said:

Because "Durr, who?" is easier to convey through text than invisibility.

20 hours ago, Jedi said:

Ryoma literally only does Fate's Swordmaster things, if Navarre has the same moveset that literally would be unfaithful to Shadow Dragon and Mystery of the Emblem animations (which Marth borrows in Smash), and would be more of a travesty than the PR.

I mean... not really? They have far fewer animations to go off of. I could easily see them working in those animations where they can, but there's nothing distinct enough to make a moveset out of.

I'm going with @NeonZ that Navarre and Lyn will be semi-clones.

In general, though, I think this theory is a bit of a mess; the fact that you have 3 different "Lord" archetypes listed is telling. 

5 hours ago, DIO said:

Actually it's both. They don't notice him AND they tend to forget he exists until they actually do see him again.

His ending title is "Oft Forgotten", after all, and in his married end his name gets lost to history.

21 hours ago, Azz said:

Hide contents

The only other way they could possibly be included is if they were thrown in with another weapon type, like swords. I highly doubt it as it wouldnt make any sense, but you never know. Ill be shocked if we have no theives as a whole though, even if its just Anna that fills that role. No locktouch for opening a door or chest would be pretty weird considering we know rogues exist on the maps, and according to a few articles we know they will go after chests like typical Fire Emblem rogues. If the player only had one way to open them, chest keys, it would be kind of odd.

Edited by Tolvir

16 hours ago, DIO said:

I think this would be a really good idea, too. I'm hesitant to say they will, since even making 1 extra option for every combo comes close to doubling the work required. It would be pretty cool, though. I think the main differences will be cosmetics, the ulti, stats, and things like whether or not they can use staves.

I've rethought it and I have a new theory on what 24 movesets I would expect.

That we know of:

1. Lord (Chrom/Lucina)
  2. Lord (Marth)
  3. Lord (OC Twins)
  4. Hoshido/Nohr Noble
  5. Lord (Lyn)/Swordmaster (?)
  6. Pegasus Knight
  7. Dragon Knight
  8. Mounted (sword)
  9. Mounted (axe)
  10. Mounted (magic)
  11. Infantry (magic)
  12. Infantry (bow)
  13. Infantry (sword/samurai)
  14. Infantry (Axe)
  15. Dragonstone user

The 9 remaining

1. Dancer (Azura)
  2. Priestess (Celica) (Possible emphasis on Light Magic so it can be used for clerics from GBA games for DLC)
  3. Lord (Ike)
  4. Knight
  5. Hero
  6. Mounted (Bow)
  7. Dark Mage
  8. Thief
  9. Beast Stone user

Given all the salt regarding Celica being a clone of Marth, I was thinking things over and realized that there is one minor benefit to having 'class' based movesets like this:  'Permadeath'.

Main FE games usually provide multiple characters in most classes, which lets you keep using the class if you happen to let a character die (admittedly, this seems to be happening less in the recent games).  Here, if a class has multiple characters for it, and you really like the moveset, you can switch to the next character in the class if you accidentally let one of your die, so you can still keep using the moveset you like.

It's a really minor benefit, so I kind of doubt it was taken into consideration for development (generally speaking, most people probably don't want their characters to die anyways).  I figure 'Classic mode' will probably be available for History Mode in some fashion though, where if a character dies, you won't be able to use them anymore on that History map until the full map is complete, or you restart that History from the beginning.

Edited by YotsuMaboroshi

On 21/09/2017 at 5:34 PM, YotsuMaboroshi said:

Given all the salt regarding Celica being a clone of Marth, I was thinking things over and realized that there is one minor benefit to having 'class' based movesets like this:  'Permadeath'.

Main FE games usually provide multiple characters in most classes, which lets you keep using the class if you happen to let a character die (admittedly, this seems to be happening less in the recent games).  Here, if a class has multiple characters for it, and you really like the moveset, you can switch to the next character in the class if you accidentally let one of your die, so you can still keep using the moveset you like.

It's a really minor benefit, so I kind of doubt it was taken into consideration for development (generally speaking, most people probably don't want their characters to die anyways).  I figure 'Classic mode' will probably be available for History Mode in some fashion though, where if a character dies, you won't be able to use them anymore on that History map until the full map is complete, or you restart that History from the beginning.

He got a point about that if player decide to play with the permadeath feature and lost a flying unit (and so the ability to go past cliffs) they can still use one of the others

even if i have to admit that its sad that Ceada don't use a sword it was her unique feature compare to Cordelia and Hinoka

Also remember that in Hyrule Warrior some gamestyle and character weren't not playable in the story mode and unlockable only in the other mode so maybe some characters are still hiding

oh well maybe the class change will bring new game style (Dark Flier, Falcon Knight or Kinshi Knight ?) remember that the Male twin will be able to use a Lance and we still don't have a infantry lance user