Good android RPGs

sirmola

I just got a new phone that can play actual apps (my old phone was too cruddy to be compatible with anything). I tried FEH, and had fun, but am running out of content. also tried final fantisy: record keeper, but did not like it. I am looking for other RPGs on android. Paid or free is fine (although it has to be possible to easily play through the game with out micro-transactions). I also don't want markedly inferior ports of game i can play in other ways. (I tried the sega forever version of sonic 1, and the controls were bad enough to ruin the experience). I have heard that most of the sqeenix ports are victim to this. I would also not mind emulator suggestions (with the major caviat that any snes emulator you suggest has to be able to play the new fe4 translation patch, which has horrible compatibility due to the large rom size). One last thing: I want to avoid always online games if possible, as my city has not finished installing cell phone service in the subway, and some places just have bad cellphone service. I will at least try free ones, though.

Mobius Final Fantasy!

Thanks to the anniversary revamp, it's a lot more F2P friendly.  There's some starter packs that will give you three solid jobs and the tools to make them useful.  The current FF13 event features a ton of useful stuff.  The main story is SE-levels of twists, with the end being in sight. . .one day.  Oh, and the music is amazing.

Just go on the Play Store and search "Kemco" and you'll find a bunch of RPGs made by them. There are a lot of them so i'm just going to recommend their Asdivine series+Antiqua Lost. They all play mostly the same but they do have their own little differences here and there. They all control really well too. With the exception of the first Asdivine Hearts, all of them are free to play, and you don't have to pay a single cent to complete them. Although, if you get the free versions, be prepared to face ads, though what i like to do to avoid them is just turn on Airplane Mode and the only ads that'll pop up are the ones that tell you to buy the premium version. This makes the ads much less intrusive. Though if you do want to get the premium version, they're like, $4.99, and it's a good deal, since these RPGs are solid.

A thing about the Asdivine games, know that there's 5 of them. Asdivine Hearts, Asdivine Hearts 2, Asdivine Dios, it's sequel, Asdivine Menace, and Asdivine Cross, the only standalone Asdivine game. 

I'd also recommend Infinite Dunamis and Journey to Kresia. They're also made by Kemco (and thus, play mostly the same as the RPGs i mentioned) although the only way to play them is to buy them. That being said, i played the 3DS ports, because the 3DS objectively has better controls than Android.

There are multiple endings in these games, so there is replay value. Regarding Infinite Dunamis and Journey to Kresia, there are the "bad", "normal" and "true" endings. The bad ending only happens if you lose the final battle while the true ending is only obtainable after doing something specific but obvious in a new game+ file (though in some of these games, the new game+ file isn't necessary, though you still have to get the normal ending first). The Asdivine games and Antiqua Lost also have the "bad, normal, and true" endings but, in the case of the normal and true endings, they change based on character relationships. 

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

That being said, i played the 3DS ports, because the 3DS objectively has better controls than Android.

Yeah, if the game has a superior 3DS port, i will just play that, especially because they tend to have any f2p elements removed. That being said, everyone is still welcome to mention them. Because I am also on the lookout for new 3ds games.

Hive with AI - A Chess-like strategy game. If you're not gonna buy the physical version, you may as well get it digitally for free. Great for two players!

Uni Wars - Basically Advance Wars on your phone. There are some big differences, like hexes instead of a grid, but it's pretty good!

Apparently, The World Ends With You has an Android port. Haven't played it though...

Otherwise... http://lmgtfy.com/?q=rpgs+for+android

Edited by Zera

2 hours ago, sirmola said:

Yeah, if the game has a superior 3DS port, i will just play that, especially because they tend to have any f2p elements removed. That being said, everyone is still welcome to mention them. Because I am also on the lookout for new 3ds games.

I understand and i agree. Though, looking at my post, i feel like i didn't clarify on one part. Basically, of the games i mentioned, only Infinite Dunamis and Journey to Kresia have 3DS ports. The rest are Android exclusive. Well, i did hear Asdivine Hearts had a Wii U port, but since i don't have a Wii U, i can't confirm.

58 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Puzzles and Dragons has a 3DS port.  I HIGHLY recommend it if you like that game, since the mobile versions can get pretty irritating.

I actualy tried the demo on that ages back. Didn't like it very much.

1 hour ago, Zera said:

Apparently, The World Ends With You has an Android port. Haven't played it though...

A friend let me borrow his ds copy, and i completed it on that (this was the same friend who let me borrow his copy of fe7, which is what introduced me to FE). I generally don't see a reason to buy games i have already completed.

1 hour ago, Zera said:

That website literally just gives me directions for how to search in google, and redirects me to the relevant google search. of course, google was the first thing i did.

Edit: mobius ff is ok, but it is taking up WAY too much of my HD space, so im going to have to delete it (on my low-endish phone, i have 16 gb of memory, Mobius takes up over 1 gb of that, and it wants another massive update after essentially only the first dungion.) By comparison, FEH is 800 mb, after downloading all avalible content. (plus, it can get away with it due to being much more fun.

Edited by sirmola

• Final Fantasy Tactics. Its a port but as far as quality android game goes, you are getting a decent chunk of it and its a fairly well made port.
  • I guess the Dragon Quest games on android as well? I only played 1 but I think 4 onwards can be worth getting at. I still am yet to decide trying it.
  • Fire Emblem Heroes. Now...I don't like the gacha mechanic but as far as the main game goes, its pretty good.
  • Ys book 1 & 2. Haven't tried the mobile port but the game is quite good.
  • Steven Universe: Attack the Light. From a lot of reviewers, this game seems solid.

My personal advice. Whatever you do, DO NOT BUY CHRONO TRIGGER ON ANDROID! The port is shitty, has terrible controls and its one of those that we all despise, DRM! nuff said. Only reason I bought it is to support the devs into porting the game on Steam(please Squeenix?)

Edited by Harvey

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Baldurs Gate 1Baldurs Gate 2 and Icewind Dale are great PC-ports with lots of D&D/Forgotten Realms content. I loved them on PC, but also on the tablet they are nice to play (phone screens are too small perhaps ...). They have a complex battle system and the Baldurs Gate titles got a long and interesting story.  

Bonus: Planescape Torment (veeeery dialogue-heavy).