Weren't they kind of lucky with CYL theme?

property of nuvelle

Now that I think about it, the fact that ANYONE could have won the CYL banner also means that a character who we know zero about they're father could've won. So, someone like Tharja (I don't believe we've heard anything about her father right?) could've ended up changing the entire theme of the CYL banner if she at least placed second. Would they have created a new canon where x character had a cool dad or would they have just changed the theme completely?

Edited by KongDude

Who knows.  The fact that the banner is already come and gone makes this a moot point IMO.

EDIT: Though I suppose a banner with Rickard, Lilina, Nepheenee, and Clair would've been pretty funny.

Edited by eclipse

Or maybe strong family bonds is why they are popular in first place. If that was case CYL theme would be natural conclusion instead...

But yeah, different characters would mean different theme and if they didn't have much in common theme itself could end much more random. 

I said this before in some other topic I don't remember, but I imagine that they picked out what they were going to do after they got the winner data.  If the characters were... Tharja, Micaiah, Lon'qu, and Lance, I highly doubt we would have gotten the same theme of "My dad's pretty great."

It's really not that unusual. The CYL winners were all protagonists or very plot significant (Lucina) characters, which should be expected. Having dead parents is a common plot point for kicking off the protagonist's journey, so much that Eliwood earned a medal for not being dead in FE6.

When you look at the winners, only 2 of them really focused on the relationship between a child and father; Ike and Lucina. Roy's journey (iirc) is more concerned with stopping the ambitions of Zephiel. Both of Lyn's parents are dead, and while her mixed heritage is significant to her character, the story is to seek out her mother's side of the family, not her father's.

It's not like they really needed a theme anyway.

They probably only came up with the theme after looking at the units that won. If different units had won, they almost certainly have gone for a different theme, either one that matched the set or a more generic theme. For instance, maybe everyone would be in fancy regalia.

CYL Lucina only barely has the theme for that matter. Her armor, despite what her description says, isn't really based on Chrom and her lance is entirely original. Even if they kept the few lines about Chrom not having time to teach her the lance, they could have kept this for a bunch of other themes.

2 hours ago, Anacybele said:

They were more lucky with the gauntlet, imo. It was close to having two Ikes! XD

Oh gods, I want to see that alternate universe now...

2 hours ago, r_n said:

CYL Lucina only barely has the theme for that matter. Her armor, despite what her description says, isn't really based on Chrom and her lance is entirely original. Even if they kept the few lines about Chrom not having time to teach her the lance, they could have kept this for a bunch of other themes.

I believe it was a joke at the time of the 'second place gets alternate costumes too!' reveal that it's only because they had Lucina predesigned. Now that the banner system is out, we know that's probably not the case, but I stand by the idea there's a grain of truth in there.

On 17/9/2017 at 5:18 PM, Glaceon Mage said:

I said this before in some other topic I don't remember, but I imagine that they picked out what they were going to do after they got the winner data.  If the characters were... Tharja, Micaiah, Lon'qu, and Lance, I highly doubt we would have gotten the same theme of "My dad's pretty great."

Radiant Dawn Spoilers:

It would be kind of funny if Micaiah talked about Misaha or Altina

My bet is confidently that once the winners were confirmed, the folks in charge of character art got together, threw around some ideas and pitched some concepts, then when the design was finalized, the foreshadowing announcement long ago came.

Lucina is a bit of an iffy subject in that regard, in that her CYL garb is literally just her Great Lord class, down to using a Lance.

They could have easily promoted each of the three, or better yet just throw them into their Einherjar garbs (from the DLC of Awakening) and find an excuse to give them different weapons. Ike and Roy both also have outfits they can always fall upon in the form of their Smash Bros appearances.

Edited by Xenomata

All the CYL winners were main characters, predictably. It's not surprising that the background/family/parents of the main characters were detailed in their respective games.
So that theme of the CYL outfits being nods to their parents probably came together pretty easily from them all being main characters with defined parentage.

If anything, I think the truly 'lucky' thing with the CYL banner was that it just so happened to work out that they got four characters who happened to eventually gain access to all four colors afters promotion. Axe Ike, Lance Lucina, Bow Lyn, and Sword Roy being split among the four colors was a pretty much perfect combination that could only barely have worked out better. (dragon roy pls)

The 'father' connection just happened to be a convenient excuse to give Lyn and Roy mounts to make them stand out more, since otherwise Roy doesn't have anything to differentiate himself and there aren't many canon horse archers in the series outside of Sacae.

Edited by Iridium

• 2 weeks later...

What do you think would have happened if a child unit or Laguz won CYL? Those two seem to be topics FEH is trying to avoid thus far, so it would have been interesting if CYL forced their hand on that - I think they'd consider themselves lucky for that too :P

(P.S. I'm still early on in PoR and haven't played Fates so please no Tellius or Fates spoilers!)

Edited by DefyingFates

3 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

Imagine Ike fans fighting over which Ike is better. 

PoR Ike clearly seems to be the more popular one though, likely due to his writing. Though design-wise, RD Ike seems to be the preferred as far as I can tell. I prefer RD Ike's design too, it makes him stand out even more than he already does because the only other lord that comes even close to being that manly and buff is Hector. :P Plus he's freakin' hot. <3

Edited by Anacybele

Just now, Anacybele said:

PoR Ike clearly seems to be the more popular one though, likely due to his writing. Design-wise, RD Ike seems to be the preferred as far as I can tell. I prefer RD Ike's design too, it makes him stand out even more than he already does because the only other lord that comes even close to being that manly and buff is Hector. :P

I agree but it would be funny to see a fanbase of the same character competing with itself.