Melliel's Sprite Dump

Melliel

This thread is for all of the sprites I will make. I'm hoping that I'll be able to get some criticism on them. I currently only have a portrait to show off, aside from my avatar, unfortunately. I would have more, but this one took me about a week for me to make this, and I'm anxious to see what people think of it. I will add more sprites to the thread later.
9YVSIW0.png
I'm sure that even though I think it looks beautiful, many more professional artists could easily pick out its flaws.

Edited by Melliel
It's no longer just for portraits. I'll be adding other sprites.

That's pretty! It's easier to view sprites of this size if you post them in standard resolution instead of zoomed in. The portrait looks good, have you been doing pixel art long? If you're trying to match FE style, it's a little small, and the shoulders are pretty tiny. I feel that the colors could be a little more contrasty too. The hair shading with the highlights that way isn't really FE style either, but its a cool personal style if you aren't trying to be too close to FE. I really like the armor and collar. Excited to see more from you!

Thank you for the praise. Sorry for the resolution. I thought it would make the sprite easier to see. I have been practicing with sprite and pixel art. Though, I still have much to learn, I feel I understand most of the basics rather well.

I'm going to make some edits based on your thoughts. I'm not really sure what you mean by the colors needing to have more contrast, though. Do you mean that the palette is boring?

A little bit of broadening and color editing has lead me to this.
IoDA3mT.png
I do want to keep this style. I feel the extra color in the hair and the softer skin shading really helps make the sprite feel more alive and colorful.

This is really nice! I agree that it´s not fe style but it´s refreshing. I don´t know why but it reminds me of some snes game´s concept art.

Regarding the edit, the broader shoulders and armour look good although I think his left shoulder its a little far (may be better a pixel closer to the center?) I honestly prefer the brighter colours, especially on the hair but that´s just me.

11 minutes ago, Capibarainspace said:

This is really nice! I agree that it´s not fe style but it´s refreshing. I don´t know why but it reminds me of some snes game´s concept art.

Regarding the edit, the broader shoulders and armour look good although I think his left shoulder its a little far (may be better a pixel closer to the center?) I honestly prefer the brighter colours, especially on the hair but that´s just me.

Thanks for the feedback. I think I'm going to keep the new palette. The old hair's highlights were too bright, in my opinion. Also, just to be sure, do you mean his left, or our left?

2 hours ago, Melldere said:

Thanks for the feedback. I think I'm going to keep the new palette. The old hair's highlights were too bright, in my opinion. Also, just to be sure, do you mean his left, or our left?

I mean his. Perhaps is the fact that he is tilting his head to his right so his left side feels emptier and the shoulder more prominent. It´s not that significant and maybe is just my perception so take it with a grain of salt!

18 hours ago, Capibarainspace said:

I mean his. Perhaps is the fact that he is tilting his head to his right so his left side feels emptier and the shoulder more prominent. It´s not that significant and maybe is just my perception so take it with a grain of salt!

I separated his head from the armor, if that helps.

dB1jgM4.png
I think this "emptiness" is noteworthy. I'll remember to consider the balance a bit more in the next portrait.

Edited by Melldere
Typos.

he looks very androgynous to the point that I thought it was a female mug. if that was your intent then awesome, but if not, you may want to broaden the shoulders and/or give a stronger jawline

2 minutes ago, Agro said:

he looks very androgynous to the point that I thought it was a female mug. if that was your intent then awesome, but if not, you may want to broaden the shoulders and/or give a stronger jawline

I didn't intend for him to look androgynous. I just don't want him to look broad and manly. He's just meant to look youthful. Can you see him more as a "boy" than a woman?

I think he needs to have broader shoulders anyway. He's like, what, 14 or 15 or something? That's how old Roy is and Roy's shoulders are a good 10px wider. I'm looking at it from my desktop computer now and the shoulders are definitely disproportionately narrow. I also think the neck needs to be about 1 px longer. I am comparing him to Sain, whose body is on a similar angle, and I do think the armour is at odds with the angle of his head. Also yes, his shoulders are tiny. Otherwise the armour is quite nicely detailed and the facial features are well realised. The hair is very pretty.

Edited by Agro

4 hours ago, Agro said:

I think he needs to have broader shoulders anyway. He's like, what, 14 or 15 or something? That's how old Roy is and Roy's shoulders are a good 10px wider. I'm looking at it from my desktop computer now and the shoulders are definitely disproportionately narrow. I also think the neck needs to be about 1 px longer. I am comparing him to Sain, whose body is on a similar angle, and I do think the armour is at odds with the angle of his head. Also yes, his shoulders are tiny. Otherwise the armour is quite nicely detailed and the facial features are well realised. The hair is very pretty.

I compared the portrait to Roy before I even made this thread. I am well aware that the shoulders are small. Really, the entire portrait is smaller than usual. That was my choice.

It might be because you're comparing this portrait to FE portraits that his shoulders look off. Consider that FE7 Zephiel's head is larger than this portrait's, but his shoulders are about the same size. Though, his torso is at an angle, if you were to shift and resize him to my portrait's size, it would probably be about the same proportions.

no, if you were to shift zephiel's shoulders around they would be even larger. of course I'm comparing it to an FE portrait. this is an FE board and you are making an FE style portrait.

edit: oh, I just realised it was fixed in a later edition

Edited by Agro

13 hours ago, Agro said:

of course I'm comparing it to an FE portrait. this is an FE board and you are making an FE style portrait.

I wasn't saying that you shouldn't be comparing my portrait to FE portraits. I was only saying that using FE portraits' proportions as a reference for what my portrait should look like might conflict with my style, if that makes any sense.

13 hours ago, Agro said:

edit: oh, I just realised it was fixed in a later edition

Does that nullify the problems you've noted about my portrait, or do you still see some issues with the updated portrait's proportions?

It's not a portrait, but I don't think it would be a good idea to make another thread for sprites in general.

I want to try to make female versions of male classes and male versions of female classes. I'm currently working on the fighter.

K2VIO0g.gif
I know that there are a few problems with this sprite. I'll get to them. The walking animation is much worse, however. I'm trying to make them look decent before I do any polishing.

It's very thin compared to the male fighter and doesn't really share the same kind of movement, which is generally something that's done if making female versions of the same map sprite

6 hours ago, Toa said:

Looks pretty good but i don't really do map sprites. Weirdest thing to me is the major shadow movement on the left OPV.

That was meant to be the shadow of the arm and axe. Though I agree that it's a little too much. I'll keep in mind to make it a little less drastic.

1 hour ago, Agro said:

It's very thin compared to the male fighter and doesn't really share the same kind of movement, which is generally something that's done if making female versions of the same map sprite

I didn't really consider that. I just decided to make whatever I thought would look nice. I should probably still at least attempt an edit to the original fighter sprite. Thank you.