Sacred Stones Redraws

Priwinn

Hello everyone!

So I started a project to revamp Sacred Stones as an android game redoing the graphics and other stuff (you can read more about it here). It is in very early stages and the main goal is to improve my skills on drawing digitally and coding.

I did traditional art two hours a week as an extracurricular from age 8 to age 14 but it wasn't anything technical, we would pick a drawing and the teacher would help us if we got stuck. Then I stopped completely until this year (age 19-20), so I'm pretty rusty (not that I was good or anything haha).

Anyway, I will post here my redraws for this project. First, I sketched my first redraw of the first frame of Eirika's battle animation and I wanted get some critiques before I start with the lineart. It is my second piece of digital art, the first being my profile pic. I did kid Izuku with Clip Studio and for Eirika. I'm using PS because I found out that Clip Studio doesn't make use of the inclination sensibility of the wacom intuos pro (which I got for my birthday). Izuku was made copying entirely from one reference, not tracing though (but I did use the colorpicker because I am helpless picking colors). Eirika is made up using multiple references so it will probably have a lot of mistakes. I plan to add some more detail, but I hope you guys can help me to check the anatomy and perspective. Hope you like it!

From from left to right the original, a scaled one I did to match anatomy and mi redraw (the straight line coming from her hand is to see where the sword would go since I want to  change it at least when she uses Sieglinde).

eirika frame na1.png

It looks pretty good but the number one thing that I would critique is her spine. Spinal chords don't really curve perfectly like that - there's usually more of a bent from the base of the back as it curves over because of the hip/behind. Her legs are also bent a little too much where it looks more like she's about to squat then standing up strongly. 

I hope you don't mind me going over your art:

Spoiler

edit.png

Wow thank you so much, I don't mind you going over it. In fact I prefer it, that way I know how to fix things.

I do see that she seems like she is about to squat in mine and I like how your fix looks. For the spine I think I understand what you are saying, but It kinda looks weird to me. Maybe it's just me though.

Thank you again for you help!

(Crap I just noticed that I forgot the cape plus I really need to do something with those gloves, they look like those to do the dishes lol)

Here is my final sketch for Eirika, I tried to follow Jules' advice as much as I could and added some details. Damn I'm so slow on digital...

fnjKZCY.png

I really need to sketch faster omg, but I don't see anything if I don't clean it up :(:. Also I gotta learn about how to do the  wrinkles on fabric and work on my spatial vision.

• 2 months later...
On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 6:33 PM, Priwinn said:

Here is my final sketch for Eirika, I tried to follow Jules' advice as much as I could and added some details. Damn I'm so slow on digital...

fnjKZCY.png

I really need to sketch faster omg, but I don't see anything if I don't clean it up :(:. Also I gotta learn about how to do the  wrinkles on fabric and work on my spatial vision.

Don't put yourself down dude, This is amazing, especially if it's been a while since you've done this. Improving does take time, even if it is something you've done ages ago. 

On 9/21/2017 at 6:33 PM, Priwinn said:

fnjKZCY.png

Not too bad. If you're working digitally, are you using a tablet?

If so, there are a ton of shortcuts that you just have to pick up over time. Watching videos of other people working is a good way to do that.

As for fabric wrinkles, I think you're actually totally fine on those. Don't add any more.

If I could offer a few critiques, my biggest criticisms would be

1. Eyes: eyes are ovals. Yours are spheres. Ok, that may have been a bit too vague, but you've got to account for depth on the pupils.

2. Arms: I have a lot of problems with this too, but you don't have clear elbows. Anatomical studies would probably help here.

Your best spot is definitely the legs. They're almost perfect, and the feet are phenomenal.