Your opinion on the voice acting in this game?

I really enjoyed the voice acting in Echoes, it helped make each character unique and different. 

My favorite VA? Berkut.

Mae, Lukas, and the "Gray vs Tobin scenes" are also top performances. Though Silque's song "The Heritors of Arcadia", just wow!

8 hours ago, Lord_Grima said:

I really enjoyed the voice acting in Echoes, it helped make each character unique and different. 

My favorite VA? Berkut.

Mae, Lukas, and the "Gray vs Tobin scenes" are also top performances. Though Silque's song "The Heritors of Arcadia", just wow!

Oh my god YES Berkut was AMAZING! Ian Sinclair nailed that performance. Who could forget this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nQka4wv6BLw

I, personally, think voice acting was a wonderful new addition to the series. It breathes new life into old characters, matching their personalities exactly. You get a sense of suspense from some characters, an understanding of how severe the war is at others.

Fantastic. Someone who hasn't been mentioned who I thought did a really good job was Chris Hackney as Boey. Those screams...

Doug Stone as Mycen was great, too. But the real stars are Ian Sinclair as Berkut, Chermai Leigh as Mae, Doug Erholtz as Python, and Kyle McCarley as Alm. All the actors did an excellent job, though.

I found the voice acting to be pretty good, but I do not think that full VAs are the best way to do things, because it makes localizations take longer and we also risk the inevitable cliff that they will reach when they write too many characters whose voices kinda need to be grating. 

I think I'll say this.

The voice acting in my opinion is solid, though not amazing unlike many others are saying it is. I don't consider it any better than Awakening's or Fates voice acting, though we can all agree that it blows everything Tellius had out of the water (which isn't really too hard of a task). 

The things it has going for it is that none of the acting sound grating (at least not consistently), but I do feel some choices were just... odd. Take Berkut, who everyone worships. While I considering the acting itself to be top notch, the voice itself seems rather off. Berkut is not much older than Alm, yet he sounds like a 40 year old man? Huh? I find it rather distracting. Celica also sounds a little too melodramatic to me at times, and Tobin can get irritating. 

People are saying this this way better than the 3DS titles VAs, and while I can say the acting isn't bad, I don't consider it better, rather its simply on par. I think if there was full fledged dialogue in Awakening and Fates I think it'd be just as well received, though likely the former more so then the latter. 

1 hour ago, SilvertheShadow said:

I think I'll say this.

The voice acting in my opinion is solid, though not amazing unlike many others are saying it is. I don't consider it any better than Awakening's or Fates voice acting, though we can all agree that it blows everything Tellius had out of the water (which isn't really too hard of a task). 

The things it has going for it is that none of the acting sound grating (at least not consistently), but I do feel some choices were just... odd. Take Berkut, who everyone worships. While I considering the acting itself to be top notch, the voice itself seems rather off. Berkut is not much older than Alm, yet he sounds like a 40 year old man? Huh? I find it rather distracting. Celica also sounds a little too melodramatic to me at times, and Tobin can get irritating. 

People are saying this this way better than the 3DS titles VAs, and while I can say the acting isn't bad, I don't consider it better, rather its simply on par. I think if there was full fledged dialogue in Awakening and Fates I think it'd be just as well received, though likely the former more so then the latter. 

I can see where your coming from with Berkut's voice. I had actually assumed he was older than Alm by a considerable amount. Personally I liked both the VA and the voice itself. I guess just chalk it up to personal preference.

Pretty good overall, though not my favourite. I have much love for the full voice acting, though, and not having to endure the grunts and brief half-lines of Awakening.

Special shout-out to Mae's voice work which is spectacular. Berkut is pretty good too even though I do wish he had sounded younger, as already noted. Most other parts were solid too (Saber, Sonya, Alm, Lukas, Clair, Celica, Boey all scan as pretty good to me at a quick memory).

• 2 weeks later...

The voice acting in this game is superb. I don't believe I have anything bad to say about this.

Mae's voice actress did an amazing job voicing the character. I also loved Saber's and Catria's voices too.

• 2 weeks later...

Best voice acting in the series so far, even better than Awakenings.

I was rather disappointed with some of the Japanese castings, mainly for the fact a lot of the girls sound like Moe Stereotypes (Tatiana, Est, and especially Delthea), and Japanese Sonya lacks that cynical tone and sounds like a typical seductress character. Berkut also sounded like your standard bratty bishonen straight out of a Otome Game (even though I do like Tatsuhisa Suzuki).

Really liked many of the performances, especially Alm, Celica, Lukas, Clive, Clair, Saber, Mathilda, Python, Forsyth, Gray, Mae, Tatiana, Sonya, and Ian Sinclair's Berkut is <3

Pretty damn good.

I think one thing that made it sound good was that it didn't feel like the voice actors were putting on "a voice". It felt a lot more natural than the other FE games, and one thing that plagues a lot of Japanese games when they get American/English voice acting is that it feels like a lot of voice actors are deliberately doing an "anime voice". Kyle could have done a "THIS IS MY ANIME PROTAGONIST VOICE!" for Alm, but it was a lot more down to earth and it never felt grating. Erica could have done "This is my demure anime waifu voice..." for Celica. Delthea could have been one of a million "THIS IS MY SHRILL LITTLE GIRL VOICE", but it never really crossed that line.

Basically, the cast did a very good job at not crossing that line that makes so many English dubs unbearable, including other FE games.

Edited by Slumber

• 2 weeks later...

I think it is amazing, and turns mediocre conversations into great ones. Before I played the game, I read some of the support conversations on this website. I thought Leon was a whiny, annoying stereotype, but the way he was voiced gave him a playful charisma. In fact, while reading the supports, I thought they were among the worst in the series. But the actors bring life to the characters, give them lots of charm, and personality traits that go beyond the words written.

Berkut is one of my favorite antagonists in the series, but I'm sure I wouldn't have given a rat's ass about him were it not for Ian Sinclair's acting.

The best voice acting in the series in my opinion. 
Ian Sinclair as Berkut stole the show pretty much.
Other great performances go to Alexis Tipton with Clair, Christopher Corey Smith for Slayde, Ray Chase for Fernand, Doug Erholtz for Python, Keith Silverstein for Saber, and Bonnie Gordon for Silque.
Weakest performance for me was Joe J Thomas as Deen. He sounded too much like Squidward for me.

Top tier voice acting. There weren't any characters who's voice I hated, although Catria's was a little more bland than I would've liked. (I thought she would've been a little more soft-pitched and have had more emotion.)

My personal favorites are probably; Alm, Celica, Mae, Claire, Berkut, Delthea, Saber, Leon, Est, Fernand and Shade (DLC). So like... a lot of the cast lol. I really do hope the FE for the Switch and future FE games will continue to be fully voiced - it really does make the game much more enjoyable, especially when all the VAs do a fantastic job.

The performances really elevate this writing. I had my worries when I first heard the announcement, but those worries have since been thoroughly dashed and the work put in has to be applauded still. However, some of the better line reads can be pretty well hidden too.

One particular example is if you have Python attack with Forsyth in range. Forsyth can then remark "Wow, he's actually trying!". This kind of stuff is great for establishing how the act and how they react to each other, especially if they're familiar. It's also usually good for a laugh, like above.

The voicework is fantastic, definitely, and I'd like to see dubbing of this quality going forward in the series. It definitely helps keep you in the moment and keeps any minor writing flaws or plotholes from completely ruining th experience. To the point where I wonder if it would have been as easy to see Fates' writing for the garbagefire it is if it had been fully voice acted at this quality.

It's also, I'm pretty sure, the only reason why anyone likes Berkut. Because it suddenly occurred to me after a replay of the game that nearly every single line he says after Alm kicks his ass is a line I could easily imagine being said by prequel Anakin Skywalker.

The voice acting in Echoes was amazing. My favorite voice actor in the game was Ian Sinclair, who did a really great job of voicing Berkut. I liked that they had voice acting for almost everything in the game, and I hope that they do that with future games.

On 22/11/2017 at 8:07 AM, ashlyn said:

The voice acting in Echoes was amazing. My favorite voice actor in the game was Ian Sinclair, who did a really great job of voicing Berkut. I liked that they had voice acting for almost everything in the game, and I hope that they do that with future games.

Indeed, and I hope they hire the same VA director. Wendee Lee did an amazing job in getting the best performance out of every actor.

I like the voice acting, it's actually very high quality and I enjoy all it adds, but I also hate it! Having everything subtitled means I read WAY faster than the lines are natually read, so I tend to constantly skip through it since it's all done over static imagery. Letting it run natually starts to drag.

I wish I could turn it off at times...