Screwing your units over because you're petty

Chad Radwell

This topic could have gone in General or in FFTF I guess (and if it ends up there I won't be surprised ffpgpft) but this is the installment that brings out my Regina George complex for whatever reason, so it's here. 

Anyone else do that thing where you have a character you don't like, so you just let them suffer in whatever silly, petty ways you can think of? I don't mean killing them off; just reclassing them, benching them, or setting them up kinda goofy because you're Game God and you can do whatever you want? (It'll be really awkward when the responding response is "no" lmao oh well) 

Spoiler

Personally, I am absolutely the kind of person who will abuse the hell out of Azura's sing ability to grind up supports, and then bench her before she gets a husband of her own, because Shigure isn't allowed to be born. Likewise, my sister has kept Benny single in every single playthrough she's done because she doesn't like his kid's hairstyle. Hayato inevitably gets reclassed into Oni Savage, because it looks silly on him. Corrin also always gets reclassed into something different every time (though I do like the merchant, personally; don't h8 it's a cute outfit) because of how ugly the dragon is and how much I don't wanna use it.

Savage, right?

And as for things that have basically no effect, at least in my files, you can bet my Xander in every run is gonna have the effigy mask on, just so I don't have to look at him and wonder how we got here. That noodle-hair ho looks like he stans the Chainsmokers, the fuck. Get outta here. 

(...please come be petty with me. I'm very lonely and we're between rpdr seasons.) 

Azama gets benched every run...... I hate him more than anyone in fates! He is not the husbando in my book despite what a lot of people say and he will stay on the farthest seat on the bench at all times. (I also don't like Hana either).

On the other hand being petty i would always reclass Ryoma to something different on birthright simply to try and make him garbage and not so op

I can't stand Azura, so I always bench her whenever I'm sure I don't need a Dancer-like unit and I'm training myself to not need one in the first place.
Xander never gets any stat boosters.
Forrest never gets born, because I can't stand him.
Charlotte sits on the farthest end of the bench.
Arthur sits on the farthest end of the bench (though that has more to do with his gameplay rather than the character)
I hate giving wives to Hayato, but I sort of like Rhajat. It's a nightmare...
Hayato himself serves as a pretty capable benchwarmer.
I use Beruka over Camilla all the time if I'm not planning on using them together, because I don't like the pair of floating boobs.
I always use Subaki, Caeldori or Shigure over Hinoka, because the Sully-ripoff can go and be irrelevant in gameplay, too. Then again, Sky Knights are crap in general...
I hate Soleil, so she stays single her entire life.
I screw myself out of one pair of boots every time, because I hate Camilla, Leo and Azura and want to disobey them, leaving Shura alive.

Edited by DragonFlames

I drop Azura as soon as I'm able, though that's less out of spite and more because I just don't care about her or her class.

Giving Azama a wife is a Catch 22 because I think he'd make a terrible husband (and he's a monk anyway), but I like his daughter.  Saizo's another Catch 22 in this regard, except it's inversed; I like him, but his son sucks (literally; he sucks on a lollipop).

I bench the ever living hell out of all royals not named Leo or Takumi partially 'cuz I don't care for them and also because things get too easy when you use them all.  This also sort of applies to prf weapons.

And while I never outright screw Corrin over, I certainly almost always have someone else get ahead of him/her in levels.  I just hate how they get the spotlight all the time, so even if they still do, they have to live with always being mediocre compared to someone else.  Though it does help to ignore the story and pretend Corrin is someone else.

Chapter 10 always goes as following for me. Camilla go be useful and kill takumi for me, so what if he has point blank, whats that Camilla's dead well we are already at turn 6 its too late to start again now. Yay we defended the port and nothing of value was lost.
And then I start training the only gen 1 wyvern rider in the game.

More than 'screwing' units, I simply 'ignore' most of them altogether. I focus on fourteen characters through the whole campaign (Conquest Hard Classic) and the rest are never deployed, not even if there are available slots.

In this run, the following characters have zero Experience points: Arthur, Niles, Nyx, Laslow, Peri, Keaton, Jakob and Shura.

Selene, Charlotte and Benny must have 10-20 Exp points, because they were used as pair-up bots in their recruitment chapters, then benched immediately afterwards. Beruka did gain some Exp points on Chapter 10, where she had to kill a couple of pesky, wounded Sky Knights which managed to flee the main party. Kaze was given about three levels in Chapter 5, and Gunther was used in attack stance in the lower part of the map in Chapter 15. None of them was used again, though.

By Chapter 21, Flora has no Exp points either, but that is because I have yet to play a map with more than fourteen slots. She will be used in Endgame, though. I like her, she simply joins too late.

Edited by starburst

On 21.9.2017 at 2:38 AM, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

tfw everyone's slam dunking Azura

Arthur is such a piece of shit, but I have to use him... But eventually he becomes a second Convoy until I can drop him for real.

I know, it's glorious! *evil grin* (what does tfw mean, though?)

In order to add to my previous post:
Kiragi also always gets screwed over. His best mother stat-wise is Hana (debatably) Hands off my waifu, Crapkumi! but since Hana always mothers Kana when I'm playing male Corrin, Kiragi gets either Setsuna or Felicia (I genuinely like the Takumi/Felicia supports, who woulda thunk it?) and then Kiragi ends up being Kana's pair-up bot along with giving his Archer class to her. Certain Death Swordmaster Kana (tm) is a sight to behold.
And that's all the use Kiragi gets in my playthroughs. I have other, more capable bow-users (ex. Mozu, Silas, Selena, Nina, Niles, Sakura, Mitama, Midori) at my disposal, I don't need the Hoshidan Scrub Squad (i.e. Takumi and Kiragi).

I bench ANYONE who cannot manage to fulfill their duty, Hana-benched you're weak, Subaki-benched your class sucks, Odin-benched you're annoying and cannot take any hits to speak of- Arthur WOULD be benched due to lack of reliability but I found a fix IMMEDIATELY put him into vanguard and due to having swords as an option he suddenly becomes SO MUCH more reliable even though his stats haven't changed much plus I love the fighter and merc classes. In Revelations I bench just about everyone who's from Hoshido 'cause I find most of them either annoying or useless.

9 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

I know, it's glorious! *evil grin* (what does tfw mean, though?)

Tfw means "that face when", usually accompanied by a reaction face image. When no image is given, it usually implies a negative emotion such as disappointment.

Most of the kids. Not out of spite, but because they really weren't well done this game story-wise and I don't feel like knowing most of them. Add to that that the cast is already gigantic.

But sometimes a pairing, planned or not, generates a kid who is strong enough (or even becomes a total beast) and gets to replace a screwed up unit and even become a fundamental pillar of the team, and then I like them. 

Regarding specific characters, I find the Kanas really annoying with all their mama/papa banter and actually have a secret pleasure in them pretty much always failing and getting friendzoned hard with most of the other kids. They always get neglected and are only used to unlock their other parent's entry in the Support library.

Nyx is also very annoying and it doesn't help she isn't a great unit either. Kaze is boring. Ryoma is a little boring too with all that honor pose and talk. At least he's OP (though that is also bad in other ways). 

Azama is great. Love his jerkiness. He always marries someone. He should be able to marry 2nd gens too.

For some reason I started to like Peri and am gonna dedicate a whole run to her by making her the strongest unit and that receives all stat-ups, boots and best weapons. Conquest's story will probably look better too if it seems to be led by a bloodthirsty psycho.